Gorilla fan

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Gorilla fan

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:39 pm

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opini ... -feethams/
Is this one of our stay away fans, not seen him at any games. Familiar faces, especially to the right if his arm. Presume this was our last game there?

H1987

Re: Gorilla fan

Post by H1987 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:14 pm

Is that old? Please tell me it's the Echo website, and it was something that was written during the Arena days, not that someone has seriously written that. The shirt comment....

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:09 am

H1987 wrote:Is that old? Please tell me it's the Echo website, and it was something that was written during the Arena days, not that someone has seriously written that. The shirt comment....
This bloke has been spouting twaddle for donkeys years on the letters page.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:55 am

How many years would you have had to have *not* been to a game to think we don't play in hoops.

The last completely hoopless shirt we played in was nearly a decade ago (I'm counting the errea gold & black hoop here from 11-12).

*Everyone* misses Feethams, but the crucial point is that it's irreplaceable. Any new stadium will never be the same, because it'll never have the location. One of the things I actually do like about BM is that you can walk there from the town centre pretty easily.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Another thing about Feethams would be the lack of parking. It was bad enough back then. If you were lucky you could get down the bottom end of Cleveland Terrace or even Southend Avenue, but as most streets within half a mile are residents only, we'd all be moaning about this if we were still there.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:38 pm

is that Craig Stoddart under the gorilla's left hand?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:is that Craig Stoddart under the gorilla's left hand?
Yes, I think it is.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:03 pm

I thought I spotted our very own Captain Scott!.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:42 am

Feethams is one place I don't want to re-visit, it was a shithole and it would have cost a small fortune to bring back up to any decent standard. Parking would have been a nightmare and there is no way we would have been allowed to develop the ground any further.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:00 am

Feethams had a capacity greater than we ever needed - why would we have ever needed to develop it further other than modernisation. It’s irrelevant of course coz we left but development was never the issue at Feethams.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Im laughing at the bit “ to get a new ground of their own which would be cheaper to run than the one they are playing in now without success” has the guy been locked away for the past 6 year or so without any contact with outside world, sounds likes he on about the arena. Is the paper rehasing old letters or is this guy sending letters written years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:02 pm

That was my thinking, it sounded like it was about the Arena, and the big about the shirts would make more sense in that context too... but sadly, I’m not sure it is.

Also, nuts to the Feethams criticism. It was falling apart at the end because we weren’t taking care of it, because we were leaving. The tin shed and south stand didn’t need more than the concrete sorting and some paint. The east stand was newer than the Riverside and the Stadium of Light ffs. Yes the west stand needed knocking down and replacing, but that’s hardly the end of the world...

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Feethams is one place I don't want to re-visit, it was a shithole and it would have cost a small fortune to bring back up to any decent standard. Parking would have been a nightmare and there is no way we would have been allowed to develop the ground any further.
Complete bollocks.

It was a proper atmospheric football ground which was left to rot by years of mismanagement.

It would have needed large sums spending, but dramatically less than a new stadium. The ground didn’t need additional capacity or space, only modernising.

Parking was irrelevant as it was in the centre of town.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Feethams is one place I don't want to re-visit, it was a shithole and it would have cost a small fortune to bring back up to any decent standard. Parking would have been a nightmare and there is no way we would have been allowed to develop the ground any further.

Feethams was a great little ground with lots of character and very popular with visiting supporters, and was there an issue with parking? I never had one, plus there are new multi storeys now available.

The problems to me were the pitch, and all the issues with the cricket club. Yes it needed a refurb, and yes that would have cost but not as much as building The Reynolds Arena - a soulless place, unsuited to our needs but a place that you obviously prefer to Feethams.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 pm

I remember walking out of Feethams around the cricket pitch chatting to Shaun Goater (remember him?) after a cup tie with Man City and even he thought it was the biz.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:06 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Feethams was a great little ground with lots of character and very popular with visiting supporters, and was there an issue with parking? I never had one, plus there are new multi storeys now available.

The problems to me were the pitch, and all the issues with the cricket club. Yes it needed a refurb, and yes that would have cost but not as much as building The Reynolds Arena - a soulless place, unsuited to our needs but a place that you obviously prefer to Feethams.
Reynolds has admitted that he couldn't stomach the fact that he'd have to answer to the Cricket Club if we stayed at Feethams.