Boxing Day v York City

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Boxing Day v York City

Post by al_quaker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:19 am

Nelson is one of those players who comes in and is clearly playing lower than he should be. Far too good for this level, and a joy to watch. Palmer looks a very good player too, and Smith had a good game. Didn't see much of Wollerton when he came on. The loan signings have dramatically improved us - which goes to show how we've missed a trick not exploiting the local loan market until now.

Probably the best performance at BM? After an even opening we were completely on top against a distinctly average York side. Challenge now is to back that type of result up with another win on Saturday.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 am

I need to get to games more often. Fortunately I’ll also be there on Saturday :D

It was nice to just enjoy the game for a change. The loans have made a difference, and the next challenge is getting some of them to stay for a longer stint. Palmer was excellent, and hopefully might be up to the idea. Nelson is way better than this level, but so was Aynsley Pears last year. You never know, Sunderland might like the idea of him being local as he can train with them during the week. Maybe they’ll be open to extending it another 28 days, which would at least be a start.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 am

That was fucking beautiful.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 am

lo36789 wrote:Looks like Nelson has been a good player to bring in. I wasn’t expecting that much as he has scored that many goals anywhere else he has been. I wouldn’t rule out us being able to keep him for the rest of the season if the move is doing him good.
No chance I'd say him staying with us as he will be loaned out in a higher league after us I'm afraid... To good for this level

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:00 pm

You never know we might just keep him for longer, we are local and he is nailed on to start every game whereas this may not be the case with another club unless the Codheads start sniffing around

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Now is the winter of our discontent/ made glorious by thrashing York

Our season starts here ?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Now is the winter of our discontent/ made glorious by thrashing York

Our season starts here ?
Lets just enjoy the result and support the lads v Ashton Utd.

We are still in a very serious position in terms of slipping into relegation, being bolstered by some very good loan players - without them we would be in bigger trouble.

We may just get some momentum over the next few games with a settled squad, but that could all change quickly if we lose the loan player and have to bring in further players on loan.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:18 pm

Yes, spot Les McJ. I'm just milking the whole thing and I must pay tribute to the management for a change.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Yes, spot Les McJ. I'm just milking the whole thing and I must pay tribute to the management for a change.
I am very much in the "not a fan of Wright club" these days, however he has short term addressed the clear problems most could see, a CB (Smith), a CM (Palmer) & a Striker (Nelson) and with Hughes back in has made us probably a mid-table/top 10 team.

We now need to follow up this one win and go for it again v Ashton. Ashton have the worst defence in the league and their games average nearly 4 goals a game, so hopefully a decent crowd and some entertainment.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:42 pm

I'd be on the phone to Barnsley and Sunderland now asking to extend. I'm sure TW is looking at doing the same as he mentioned in his interview.

It'd be amazing if we could get Nelson for anything longer than the initial month, but I highly doubt it. Could see Sunderland wanting him to go higher and test himself more. I know I've only seen him one game, but that lad oozes class.

Palmer's first half was about as good as I've seen from a midfielder at BM, although he did tail off in the second.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Although a few, (or more than a few to be honest ;) ),have had reservations re TW, (and with some reason with the results), but you can't doubt his capability of identifying loans. Some excellent boys there and the rest of the team needed that lift of positivity new capable young people bring, who are not "afraid" of losing mentality wise. Must be good at convincing other managers as well to let these guy's come for free. The loans in also look like they are enjoying it as well, so loved this game but felt it was coming especially after the last two games, so pleased for the team, and also the management and directors, (realise this is just one win, but after Nuneaton game the last 3 games have been a big leap forward IMO). Now for the whole club to start moving forward I hope.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Now is the winter of our discontent/ made glorious by thrashing York

Our season starts here ?
Thanks for bringing a bit of high brow culture as well as humour to the forum :clap:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm

D_F_C wrote:I'd be on the phone to Barnsley and Sunderland now asking to extend. I'm sure TW is looking at doing the same as he mentioned in his interview.

It'd be amazing if we could get Nelson for anything longer than the initial month, but I highly doubt it. Could see Sunderland wanting him to go higher and test himself more. I know I've only seen him one game, but that lad oozes class.

Palmer's first half was about as good as I've seen from a midfielder at BM, although he did tail off in the second.
Remember Sunderland are only a League One club. His previous loan spells were Hartlepool (League Two 4 games 0 goals), Harrogate Town (National League North 4 games 1 goal) and Falkirk (Scottish Championship 12 games 4 goals) hate to say it but he’s been higher and now he’s with us - I don’t think an extension to the end of the season seems that unrealistic based on that.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Come on Gramps, where are you? Someone needs to bring us back down to earth! No Bartlett, Ferguson, Styche, Beck or Syers in our side and we won 5-1. Am I dreaming it?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:57 pm

18 shots to darlington 13 on target, 5 off target.
6 shots to York 5 on target 1 off target shows how much control darlington had York did not have a corner all game.
More of the same come Saturday against Ashton. Followed by hopefully another good run.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:26 pm

50 years wrote:Although a few, (or more than a few to be honest ;) ),have had reservations re TW, (and with some reason with the results), but you can't doubt his capability of identifying loans. Some excellent boys there and the rest of the team needed that lift of positivity new capable young people bring, who are not "afraid" of losing mentality wise. Must be good at convincing other managers as well to let these guy's come for free. The loans in also look like they are enjoying it as well, so loved this game but felt it was coming especially after the last two games, so pleased for the team, and also the management and directors, (realise this is just one win, but after Nuneaton game the last 3 games have been a big leap forward IMO). Now for the whole club to start moving forward I hope.
I think Nuneaton and the Web chat were a bit of a ground zero for the current management. It became very clear after that that we aren't going to be getting rid of tw any time soon, regarfless of his capability, so the volume was turned down on the protests quite significantly.

I'm glad he's done some of the things he should have done a long time ago, particularly getting in loanees and looking at the local leagues, and presumably cracking down on players missing training. If we can keep hold of some of the key loanees - palmer sounds very much the kind of player we've needed all season - then we should be okay this season.

He's still got a lot to prove, obviously, as I don't really feel we've looked a proper team with proper ideas behind what we're doing since he arrived and everything has always felt like it happens by chance, but you can't complain about a 5-1 win.

Saying "where are the moaners now" as others have doesn't really mean anything until we've turned this into a bit of proper form, but nobody is going to criticise after a day like yesterday.

If it turns out tw is a managerial genius who will take us up then I couldn't be happier to be wrong. But before were all getting the halos out for tw again, let's see this result followed up by taking us up the division over a longer period.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:53 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:Come on Gramps, where are you? Someone needs to bring us back down to earth! No Bartlett, Ferguson, Styche, Beck or Syers in our side and we won 5-1. Am I dreaming it?
No please.....lets not have another thread especially this one which has a feel good factor , ruined. :shh:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 pm

I think you'll find those comments like mine are flippant. We're not that gullible and one swallow doesn't make a summer. Long, long way to go to convince me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:05 am

I think a big challenge in football these days is managers either succeed or fail. If they succeed they tend to get picked up by another club, if they fail (ie have a bad month or three) they get sacked.

We are in a position where we have a failing manager who under any other circumstances would have got the boot - but that's seemingly not an option so he's been given the opportunity (or been forced) to learn from his mistakes and take a different approach.

This may make no difference, but maybe we'll see some benefits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:I'd be on the phone to Barnsley and Sunderland now asking to extend. I'm sure TW is looking at doing the same as he mentioned in his interview.

Remember Sunderland are only a League One club. His previous loan spells were Hartlepool (League Two 4 games 0 goals), Harrogate Town (National League North 4 games 1 goal) and Falkirk (Scottish Championship 12 games 4 goals) hate to say it but he’s been higher and now he’s with us - I don’t think an extension to the end of the season seems that unrealistic based on that.
I've just read in the echo that the Barnsley lads and Kyoko are youth loans so we can have them as long as we want. With Nelson they are asking the question

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:53 pm

"Sunderland would be happy for him to stay, but it’s going to come down to what other offers he gets"

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... underland/

Implies there is slightly more hope for an extended stay than I expected to be honest. Fingers crossed

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Positive with the loans. Especially Kokolo and the Barnsley lads being extendable.