You are here: darlofc.co.uk » Board index » The Uncovered Forums » Virtual Feethams
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:01 am View unanswered posts | View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 5168
Team Supported: Darlington
Nelson is one of those players who comes in and is clearly playing lower than he should be. Far too good for this level, and a joy to watch. Palmer looks a very good player too, and Smith had a good game. Didn't see much of Wollerton when he came on. The loan signings have dramatically improved us - which goes to show how we've missed a trick not exploiting the local loan market until now.

Probably the best performance at BM? After an even opening we were completely on top against a distinctly average York side. Challenge now is to back that type of result up with another win on Saturday.

_________________
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 817
Team Supported: Darlington
I need to get to games more often. Fortunately I’ll also be there on Saturday :D

It was nice to just enjoy the game for a change. The loans have made a difference, and the next challenge is getting some of them to stay for a longer stint. Palmer was excellent, and hopefully might be up to the idea. Nelson is way better than this level, but so was Aynsley Pears last year. You never know, Sunderland might like the idea of him being local as he can train with them during the week. Maybe they’ll be open to extending it another 28 days, which would at least be a start.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Posts: 11218
Location: Darlington
Team Supported: Darlington
That was fucking beautiful.

_________________
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWD

*includes all cup games*


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Posts: 2467
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
Looks like Nelson has been a good player to bring in. I wasn’t expecting that much as he has scored that many goals anywhere else he has been. I wouldn’t rule out us being able to keep him for the rest of the season if the move is doing him good.

No chance I'd say him staying with us as he will be loaned out in a higher league after us I'm afraid... To good for this level

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Posts: 1494
Team Supported: Darlington
You never know we might just keep him for longer, we are local and he is nailed on to start every game whereas this may not be the case with another club unless the Codheads start sniffing around

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Posts: 53
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County
Now is the winter of our discontent/ made glorious by thrashing York

Our season starts here ?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 5063
Team Supported: Darlington
Wiseacre wrote:
Now is the winter of our discontent/ made glorious by thrashing York

Our season starts here ?


Lets just enjoy the result and support the lads v Ashton Utd.

We are still in a very serious position in terms of slipping into relegation, being bolstered by some very good loan players - without them we would be in bigger trouble.

We may just get some momentum over the next few games with a settled squad, but that could all change quickly if we lose the loan player and have to bring in further players on loan.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Posts: 53
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County
Yes, spot Les McJ. I'm just milking the whole thing and I must pay tribute to the management for a change.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Posts: 5063
Team Supported: Darlington
Wiseacre wrote:
Yes, spot Les McJ. I'm just milking the whole thing and I must pay tribute to the management for a change.


I am very much in the "not a fan of Wright club" these days, however he has short term addressed the clear problems most could see, a CB (Smith), a CM (Palmer) & a Striker (Nelson) and with Hughes back in has made us probably a mid-table/top 10 team.

We now need to follow up this one win and go for it again v Ashton. Ashton have the worst defence in the league and their games average nearly 4 goals a game, so hopefully a decent crowd and some entertainment.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Posts: 1574
Team Supported: Darlington
I'd be on the phone to Barnsley and Sunderland now asking to extend. I'm sure TW is looking at doing the same as he mentioned in his interview.

It'd be amazing if we could get Nelson for anything longer than the initial month, but I highly doubt it. Could see Sunderland wanting him to go higher and test himself more. I know I've only seen him one game, but that lad oozes class.

Palmer's first half was about as good as I've seen from a midfielder at BM, although he did tail off in the second.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Posts: 175
Team Supported: Darlington
Although a few, (or more than a few to be honest ;) ),have had reservations re TW, (and with some reason with the results), but you can't doubt his capability of identifying loans. Some excellent boys there and the rest of the team needed that lift of positivity new capable young people bring, who are not "afraid" of losing mentality wise. Must be good at convincing other managers as well to let these guy's come for free. The loans in also look like they are enjoying it as well, so loved this game but felt it was coming especially after the last two games, so pleased for the team, and also the management and directors, (realise this is just one win, but after Nuneaton game the last 3 games have been a big leap forward IMO). Now for the whole club to start moving forward I hope.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Posts: 1244
Team Supported: Darlington
Wiseacre wrote:
Now is the winter of our discontent/ made glorious by thrashing York

Our season starts here ?


Thanks for bringing a bit of high brow culture as well as humour to the forum :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Posts: 7885
Location: Liverpool
Team Supported: Darlington
D_F_C wrote:
I'd be on the phone to Barnsley and Sunderland now asking to extend. I'm sure TW is looking at doing the same as he mentioned in his interview.

It'd be amazing if we could get Nelson for anything longer than the initial month, but I highly doubt it. Could see Sunderland wanting him to go higher and test himself more. I know I've only seen him one game, but that lad oozes class.

Palmer's first half was about as good as I've seen from a midfielder at BM, although he did tail off in the second.


Remember Sunderland are only a League One club. His previous loan spells were Hartlepool (League Two 4 games 0 goals), Harrogate Town (National League North 4 games 1 goal) and Falkirk (Scottish Championship 12 games 4 goals) hate to say it but he’s been higher and now he’s with us - I don’t think an extension to the end of the season seems that unrealistic based on that.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 1319
Team Supported: Darlington
Come on Gramps, where are you? Someone needs to bring us back down to earth! No Bartlett, Ferguson, Styche, Beck or Syers in our side and we won 5-1. Am I dreaming it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Posts: 1423
Team Supported: Darlington
18 shots to darlington 13 on target, 5 off target.
6 shots to York 5 on target 1 off target shows how much control darlington had York did not have a corner all game.
More of the same come Saturday against Ashton. Followed by hopefully another good run.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Posts: 1826
Team Supported: Darlington
50 years wrote:
Although a few, (or more than a few to be honest ;) ),have had reservations re TW, (and with some reason with the results), but you can't doubt his capability of identifying loans. Some excellent boys there and the rest of the team needed that lift of positivity new capable young people bring, who are not "afraid" of losing mentality wise. Must be good at convincing other managers as well to let these guy's come for free. The loans in also look like they are enjoying it as well, so loved this game but felt it was coming especially after the last two games, so pleased for the team, and also the management and directors, (realise this is just one win, but after Nuneaton game the last 3 games have been a big leap forward IMO). Now for the whole club to start moving forward I hope.


I think Nuneaton and the Web chat were a bit of a ground zero for the current management. It became very clear after that that we aren't going to be getting rid of tw any time soon, regarfless of his capability, so the volume was turned down on the protests quite significantly.

I'm glad he's done some of the things he should have done a long time ago, particularly getting in loanees and looking at the local leagues, and presumably cracking down on players missing training. If we can keep hold of some of the key loanees - palmer sounds very much the kind of player we've needed all season - then we should be okay this season.

He's still got a lot to prove, obviously, as I don't really feel we've looked a proper team with proper ideas behind what we're doing since he arrived and everything has always felt like it happens by chance, but you can't complain about a 5-1 win.

Saying "where are the moaners now" as others have doesn't really mean anything until we've turned this into a bit of proper form, but nobody is going to criticise after a day like yesterday.

If it turns out tw is a managerial genius who will take us up then I couldn't be happier to be wrong. But before were all getting the halos out for tw again, let's see this result followed up by taking us up the division over a longer period.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:36 am
Posts: 1512
Team Supported: Darlington
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Come on Gramps, where are you? Someone needs to bring us back down to earth! No Bartlett, Ferguson, Styche, Beck or Syers in our side and we won 5-1. Am I dreaming it?


No please.....lets not have another thread especially this one which has a feel good factor , ruined. :shh:

_________________
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Posts: 1319
Team Supported: Darlington
I think you'll find those comments like mine are flippant. We're not that gullible and one swallow doesn't make a summer. Long, long way to go to convince me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Posts: 11511
Team Supported: Darlington
I think a big challenge in football these days is managers either succeed or fail. If they succeed they tend to get picked up by another club, if they fail (ie have a bad month or three) they get sacked.

We are in a position where we have a failing manager who under any other circumstances would have got the boot - but that's seemingly not an option so he's been given the opportunity (or been forced) to learn from his mistakes and take a different approach.

This may make no difference, but maybe we'll see some benefits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

_________________
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:
Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Posts: 1574
Team Supported: Darlington
lo36789 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
I'd be on the phone to Barnsley and Sunderland now asking to extend. I'm sure TW is looking at doing the same as he mentioned in his interview.

It'd be amazing if we could get Nelson for anything longer than the initial month, but I highly doubt it. Could see Sunderland wanting him to go higher and test himself more. I know I've only seen him one game, but that lad oozes class.

Palmer's first half was about as good as I've seen from a midfielder at BM, although he did tail off in the second.


Remember Sunderland are only a League One club. His previous loan spells were Hartlepool (League Two 4 games 0 goals), Harrogate Town (National League North 4 games 1 goal) and Falkirk (Scottish Championship 12 games 4 goals) hate to say it but he’s been higher and now he’s with us - I don’t think an extension to the end of the season seems that unrealistic based on that.


I've just read in the echo that the Barnsley lads and Kyoko are youth loans so we can have them as long as we want. With Nelson they are asking the question


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Posts: 5168
Team Supported: Darlington
"Sunderland would be happy for him to stay, but it’s going to come down to what other offers he gets"

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... underland/

Implies there is slightly more hope for an extended stay than I expected to be honest. Fingers crossed

_________________
https://fundraising.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/

http://buytickets.at/dfcsg


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Posts: 817
Team Supported: Darlington
Positive with the loans. Especially Kokolo and the Barnsley lads being extendable.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group