Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

quakerman
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by quakerman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:40 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I'd be tempted to change a couple of things for York, maybe bring in Wheatley and Kokolo.

I'd also like to see how Nelson and Ainge pair up, if a) we keep Nelson longer and b) if Ainge is ever fully fit.
Agreed, Wheatley for Elliott and Kokolo for either Nicholson or O’Hanlon would do for me but Tommy seems to like Elliott but a little too lightweight IMO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bernie Rhodes knows
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Bernie Rhodes knows » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I'd be tempted to change a couple of things for York, maybe bring in Wheatley and Kokolo.

I'd also like to see how Nelson and Ainge pair up, if a) we keep Nelson longer and b) if Ainge is ever fully fit.
Ainge fully fit …. yeah right

Keep Headless Harvey as No.9 - close down from the front

Kokolo in for the disappointing O'Hanlon. Seriously what has happened to him this season, looks a piss poor shadow from the player we had at the end of last season

jjljks
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Can't believe that was almost the same side that thrashed York on Boxing Day! First 20mns we pressed well but had no shots on target. Nelson took his chance really well, dinking the ball like a seasoned pro for his first. We then lost the plot, could not string 2 passes together and just totally ceding midfield, giving encouragement to a poor opposition. Nelson then hit a superb goal (watch the highlights - probably the best at BM this season). Puzzled by tactics, instead of shutting up shop, keeping the ball and seeing out the game, we stuck on 2 attackers whilst taking off people who were causing them problems.
Glad we got the 3 points but not pretty, but at the end of the season this is what will count. Love to keep Nelson, but he is far too good for us. Hopefully we can keep this run going and start climbing up the table. :thumbup: :clap:

Darlo2807
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Darlo2807 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:43 pm

jjljks wrote:Can't believe that was almost the same side that thrashed York on Boxing Day! First 20mns we pressed well but had no shots on target. Nelson took his chance really well, dinking the ball like a seasoned pro for his first. We then lost the plot, could not string 2 passes together and just totally ceding midfield, giving encouragement to a poor opposition. Nelson then hit a superb goal (watch the highlights - probably the best at BM this season). Puzzled by tactics, instead of shutting up shop, keeping the ball and seeing out the game, we stuck on 2 attackers whilst taking off people who were causing them problems.
Glad we got the 3 points but not pretty, but at the end of the season this is what will count. Love to keep Nelson, but he is far too good for us. Hopefully we can keep this run going and start climbing up the table. :thumbup: :clap:
Maybe the best ever goal at BM, only one I can think of which can challenge it is David Ferguson’s against FC United back in 2016-17

tdk1
Posts: 1873
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by tdk1 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:50 pm

The "darcelona" goal v tamworth still stands out.

en passant
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by en passant » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:53 pm

jjljks wrote:Can't believe that was almost the same side that thrashed York on Boxing Day! First 20mns we pressed well but had no shots on target. Nelson took his chance really well, dinking the ball like a seasoned pro for his first. We then lost the plot, could not string 2 passes together and just totally ceding midfield, giving encouragement to a poor opposition. Nelson then hit a superb goal (watch the highlights - probably the best at BM this season). Puzzled by tactics, instead of shutting up shop, keeping the ball and seeing out the game, we stuck on 2 attackers whilst taking off people who were causing them problems.
Glad we got the 3 points but not pretty, but at the end of the season this is what will count. Love to keep Nelson, but he is far too good for us. Hopefully we can keep this run going and start climbing up the table. :thumbup: :clap:
I think that we got a bit spoilt by the result against York, but even that was not a faultless performance with York hitting the post twice before the first goal. But no doubt we made the best of the situation after that, and I think those first 20 minutes you refer to were the follow on from the positivity created by the York result. But there was a certain amount of complacency that crept into our game and there were some half hearted passes and challenges that gradually lost the momentum. So it was somewhat against the run of play that we scored, but even that did not inject a greater sense of purpose. The second half began with a little more urgency but again we seemed to fade and as the match wore on it began to seem more and more likely that we would concede at least one goal, even against a side that didn't look like they had too many threats. Then we scored a second goal out of the blue and this should have signalled to everyone that as we had not been on our A game it was best to hold on to what we had. But however much that may have been what was required we didn't have the players off the bench to carry this plan, and I'm guessing that the changes were made more with the idea of protecting the players who came off than the result. Still a win is a win and after waiting for anything positive to hang onto at BM I can't complain too much about two wins in a row. And on a further positive note, I do think that when It's working effectively the three main strikers of Saunders, Nicholson and Nelson look like they could make up for quite a few faults in other parts of the team.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:10 am

Poor game against really poor opposition, but the win is all that matters. Nelson's goal was superb. Really looking forward to York on Tuesday. Hopefully these two wins will encourage more fans to travel, plus the trains are running for the first time ever on New Years Day.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am

Although Nelson rightly got MOTM, thought Hughes was immense in the centre of the defence, especially when you consider he wasn't fully fit.

en passant
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by en passant » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:59 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Although Nelson rightly got MOTM, thought Hughes was immense in the centre of the defence, especially when you consider he wasn't fully fit.
One of the truly pleasing things to have come out of the first half of this season is the transformation of Hughes from pantomime villain to as near a thing to cult hero since the departure of Reece Styche. In the words of Bonnie Tyler, we have been holding out for a hero and from the plain to hear cussing when he was playing in midfield to the long Tin shed call of Hughes name (sounds a bit like booing sound of Joe Root's name at cricket) it has been great to see that we appear to have found our man. The way he celebrated his goal with the crowd on Boxing Day was proof positive of the status he has achieved and I think yesterday could well have been another Nuneaton without him.

50 years
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by 50 years » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 am

I thought Hughes was immense yesterday, and mentioned during the game to a friend that he was MoM for me, but can see why Nelson was picked too, with 2 excellent goals and some fantastic skills to get past players.
Think sometimes we may forget that our guys are part time, and with 2 hard games previously within a week, there may have been a bit of tiredness, even with the academy lads who won't have been used to that many games in a week, or at that intensity. At the end of the game a few of the boys were bent over with hands on their knees. I hope they get a chance to recover and keep off the drink before we play York on New Years day. Really looking forward to the York game as that will be a hard fought game against a team that will want revenge. Hope we get a good following who are very vocal as it's not easy to make a large noise at that open end so need every one to make a noise :thumbup: .

H1987
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:01 pm

It wasn't the best, but we got the job done.

He needs to strengthen central midfield, desperately. We missed Wheatley, but we need another option really.

Maurice_Peddelty
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:29 pm

50 years wrote:I thought Hughes was immense yesterday, and mentioned during the game to a friend that he was MoM for me, but can see why Nelson was picked too, with 2 excellent goals and some fantastic skills to get past players.
Think sometimes we may forget that our guys are part time, and with 2 hard games previously within a week, there may have been a bit of tiredness, even with the academy lads who won't have been used to that many games in a week, or at that intensity. At the end of the game a few of the boys were bent over with hands on their knees. I hope they get a chance to recover and keep off the drink before we play York on New Years day. Really looking forward to the York game as that will be a hard fought game against a team that will want revenge. Hope we get a good following who are very vocal as it's not easy to make a large noise at that open end so need every one to make a noise :thumbup: .
I agree with you, I thought there were some very tired legs out there yesterday. Whilst a fantastic atmosphere and being well on top of the opposition can spur players on, it doesn't magic up new energy. So after an energy sapping display against York, it seemed to me that they hadn't fully recovered before facing Ashton United. Fatigue inevitably results in mis-placed passes, which there were in abundance particularly in the 2nd half. The problem TW had was that the available replacements could only cover positions that were less likely in need. But no cover in central midfield where it was really needed. It might have been different if Wheatley had been available.

en passant
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by en passant » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:29 pm

I don't know about the other players but it was quite clear that when Andrew Nelson was speaking that he was suffering with some sort of cold.

wizardofos
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by wizardofos » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 pm

en passant wrote:I don't know about the other players but it was quite clear that when Andrew Nelson was speaking that he was suffering with some sort of cold.
Yes, it sounded like he wasn't 100%.
I also noticed that when the Man of the Match was announced, he shook his head (to the negative) whilst in full flight!

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Yeah and the players looked a bit leggy understandable let's hope they have freshend up for Tuesday at York.. As TW pointed out in his interview Ashton played 442 to have a go and they did so credit to our players for grinding out a result

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:35 pm

Any news of Ainge and Wheatley's possible return?

quakerste
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by quakerste » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:34 am

Ainge will be available tomorrow, not sure about Wheatley.

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks, interesting to see how or if he fits in with all the changes.

bga
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by bga » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 pm

quakerste wrote:Ainge will be available tomorrow, not sure about Wheatley.
Club site (Preview of York match) says both are expected to be fit. What will TW do with all these over 16s to choose from!

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11361
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Nelson took some sort of knock in injury time, hope it won't rule him of tomorrow's game?

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1598
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by D_F_C » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:11 pm

We looked decent in the first 20. The game seemed to change when they did their enforced sub. They switched it because Chadwick (bald guy) was getting nothing out of our CBs (particularly Hughes). It meant we didn’t have as much time on the ball.

Thought Tez and Hughes were good. Ashton didn’t really have any chances and Palmer looked shattered at FT. Hoping they’ve had enough rest


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:39 am

To be fair that Ashton goal was brilliant too and the cross hit perfectly!

User avatar
bertbanger
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by bertbanger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:54 am

anybody catch the attendance?

bga
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by bga » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 am

bertbanger wrote:anybody catch the attendance?
It was 1,407 but only 1,123 yesterday. Was surprised I could not find match attendance on Club site under Match details, but maybe I missed it? Our average for the season is 1,461 according to NLN website. Here is link if you are interested.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/nati ... ttendances

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5180
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:23 am

bga wrote:
bertbanger wrote:anybody catch the attendance?
It was 1,407 but only 1,123 yesterday. Was surprised I could not find match attendance on Club site under Match details, but maybe I missed it? Our average for the season is 1,461 according to NLN website. Here is link if you are interested.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/nati ... ttendances
I believe our league average is 1,422, most sites are wrong after a couple of figures they had were inaccurate.

Yesterday was poor, I hoped for about 1,300 but it’s been an expensive time and a lot of games, you can see why some opted out. Sadly that’s the nature of it and most clubs yesterday had reduced crowds from Boxing Day and the Sat in between.
[url=http://www.backtodarlo.co.uk][img]http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg[/img][/url]

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
bga wrote:
bertbanger wrote:anybody catch the attendance?
It was 1,407 but only 1,123 yesterday. Was surprised I could not find match attendance on Club site under Match details, but maybe I missed it? Our average for the season is 1,461 according to NLN website. Here is link if you are interested.
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/nati ... ttendances
I believe our league average is 1,422, most sites are wrong after a couple of figures they had were inaccurate.

Yesterday was poor, I hoped for about 1,300 but it’s been an expensive time and a lot of games, you can see why some opted out. Sadly that’s the nature of it and most clubs yesterday had reduced crowds from Boxing Day and the Sat in between.
And you can listen to a great commentary of the game on the ‘radio’ and watch a brilliant highlights package on ‘tv’ all for free. It’s a contentious topic for sure.

MikeinBlack2
Posts: 1608
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Stockton-on-Tees

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:46 am

And we were total rubbish away to York!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2569
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Sat 29th Dec - Ashton United (Home)

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 pm

MikeinBlack2 wrote:And we were total rubbish away to York!
Yeah but they missed a great overall performance yesterday... We have a hard-core that's it im afraid but hopefully a few will trickle back

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Post Reply