Josh Heaton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

SMFC_Fan
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
Team Supported: St Mirren

Josh Heaton

Post by SMFC_Fan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi, St Mirren fan here.

According to one of the Scottish papers Josh Heaton has been told he can find a new club.

It’s very disappointing from our end of things. Heaton was our biggest transfer fee in around 30 years (back in the days when Scottish clubs were regularly forking our six figure sums on players). I was hoping (as were others) that we’d work on him and try to get some sort of return by helping him develop. He’s never really been considered for the first team since featuring in two League Cup matches (against 4th and 5th tier opposition). He did pick up an injury but since his return he hasn’t even made the bench since the 6th October. Our new manager has in effect released six of Stubbs’ signings now, three loanees have gone back to their clubs while Heaton and two others have been told they can leave (nothing on mutual termination so far though).

That being said, Heaton was joined by fellow V9 player Cody Cooke from Truro City. Cooke was in a similar position of playing in the cup and not featuring much after, but having been dropped completely he’s worked his way back into the side, had a couple of sub appearances and eventually got a start. The general consensus among us is that Cooke has applied himself, worked hard and forced his way back in whereas Heaton has not, but I’m sure as you guys know, football fans are quick to make assumptions. The only thing we do know is that the manager definitely gave some players a chance to prove themselves worthy of staying, certainly in the case of Cooke.

From our perspective it sums up how much of a disaster Alan Stubbs was as manager. But it’s very disappointing after the money we spent on Heaton, we were hoping he would be given a decent chance to work his way in.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foo ... y-13783622

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Very surprised it hasn't worked out for Heaton, he had a lot to learn but so much potential. We would have him back in a heartbeat, I would imagine some one higher up than us will pick him up, although he does need nurturing.

I guess it happens with some managers, they just don't fancy certain players. However if Heaton sets his mind right he can use this to push him further on, he is certainly good enough.
Last edited by super_les_mcjannet on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by D_F_C » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:23 pm

Same as Super Les, would have him back in a heartbeat.

The term they are free to leave, is that the same as they can leave on a free? Or are St Mirren expecting some sort of payment back for Josh?

SMFC_Fan
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
Team Supported: St Mirren

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by SMFC_Fan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:42 pm

D_F_C wrote:Same as Super Les, would have him back in a heartbeat.

The term they are free to leave, is that the same as they can leave on a free? Or are St Mirren expecting some sort of payment back for Josh?
It’s hard to say. From our point of view we want to free up the wages so we can make some much needed signings in January. Possibly it would be a case of asking the other club to pay something towards the cost of terminating the contract. Not entirely sure here though. That being said, clubs don’t usually come in to buy our players outside of the academy guys we’ve brought through in recent years. In regards to Heaton, I do wonder if the fact we spunked 75K on him will mean the club would want to try and get something back as it’s a big hit on our end to lose him for nothing. Seeing as he’s done nothing up here though, our chances of receiving any fee for him are unlikely and it may be the simple matter of prioritising making wages available in which case it wouldn’t cost too much to take the player from us. We definitely won’t be asking for a big transfer fee or anything like that, he’ll go on the cheap.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Spunking 75k and then not giving him a chance is a little strange.

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:55 pm

Shame financially for us that it isn't going well for him as I presume we would have had a % of any future sale clause in there

Gow9900
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Gow9900 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Remember that it is highly likely that we have not yet received all the monies owed to us by St. Mirren for him. As with most transfers these days big or small transfer fee's are paid in installments, there seems to be this idea from some that we received the £75k all in one go which I believe is not the case.

Huge amount of money for them to invest and nothing come of it. Hopefully regardless of what happens we see all the money we are still owed by them.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12902
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by divas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Gow9900 wrote:

Huge amount of money for them to invest and nothing come of it. Hopefully regardless of what happens we see all the money we are still owed by them.
Must admit that was my initial concern

spen666
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by spen666 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:30 pm

divas wrote:
Gow9900 wrote:

Huge amount of money for them to invest and nothing come of it. Hopefully regardless of what happens we see all the money we are still owed by them.
Must admit that was my initial concern
Unless Stated Mitten go bankrupt then Darlington will get their money as football creditors must be paid in full.

It's irrelevant that Still Mitten no longer want Heaton, they still have to pay for him

SMFC_Fan
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
Team Supported: St Mirren

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by SMFC_Fan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:07 pm

Gow9900 wrote:Remember that it is highly likely that we have not yet received all the monies owed to us by St. Mirren for him. As with most transfers these days big or small transfer fee's are paid in installments, there seems to be this idea from some that we received the £75k all in one go which I believe is not the case.

Huge amount of money for them to invest and nothing come of it. Hopefully regardless of what happens we see all the money we are still owed by them.
Don’t see why it wouldn’t be. We are safe financially and received close to £1m on the sale of John McGinn from Hibernian to Aston Villa as part of a sell on clause. While it’s unusual for us to spend 75K I can’t see any reason it won’t get paid.

en passant
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by en passant » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:08 pm

Well if Heaton would be happy to return to Darlo and St Mirren want shot at least cost, maybe some arrangement over the remaining fee owed to Darlo would work well for both sides and put Darlo in pole position to sign him.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:10 pm

en passant wrote:Well if Heaton would be happy to return to Darlo and St Mirren want shot at least cost, maybe some arrangement over the remaining fee owed to Darlo would work well for both sides and put Darlo in pole position to sign him.
We can't afford his wages or to give up on expected cash coming in, that will all be baked in to our expected revenue streams.

Maybe someone can sign him and send him on loan to us to get match fit.

50 years
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by 50 years » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Thought he had a chance to go to Middlesbrough or St Mirren and chose what he thought would be first team football but lower transfer fee for us. Would have him back as we have sadly missed his Ariel power and development potential. Pity it hasn't worked for him and hope it wasn't because he did not put in the effort as St Mirren have been struggling a touch and you would have thought a great opportunity for a good defender. Still it could be his face just doesn't fit which also happens at times, MG got rid of a few players I thought were really good.

Good luck to the lad

Beano
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Beano » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:23 pm

I find it weird that he hasn’t been given a chance, or be perceived that he hasn’t earned one, as he was nothing but totally devoted during his short time with us.

Should have gone to ‘Boro.

en passant
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by en passant » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:30 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
en passant wrote:Well if Heaton would be happy to return to Darlo and St Mirren want shot at least cost, maybe some arrangement over the remaining fee owed to Darlo would work well for both sides and put Darlo in pole position to sign him.
We can't afford his wages or to give up on expected cash coming in, that will all be baked in to our expected revenue streams.

Maybe someone can sign him and send him on loan to us to get match fit.
Well I'm not sure what his wages might be, but on the basis that any extra on top of where we are now would risk staying on track, yes it would potentially cause a problem. On the flip side, if St Mirren see that selling at a complete loss against the 75k then even a modicum of that (say 5k) given over by us would still give us a goodly sum and give them something to chew on as well. Then, if we are in this game to speculate to accumulate, we could hope that we get another terrific second half of the season out of the lad, boosting results, income on the gate, and then sell him at at a decent profit second time around. If it worked out that way it would more than cover the cost of the strain on the wage bill, and net a tidy profit. Pure speculation I would have to agree but not as far fetched as might be imagined.

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by al_quaker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:24 pm

If he's available at a negligible price (i.e. the type we could afford) I'd imagine there will be clubs higher up the pyramid willing to take a punt on him

en passant
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by en passant » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:If he's available at a negligible price (i.e. the type we could afford) I'd imagine there will be clubs higher up the pyramid willing to take a punt on him
You may well be right but that would assume that these clubs had him on the radar before he went to Scotland and can forgive the lack of impact he has made there. We had the benefit of seeing him up close for half a season, and thought very well of him. Most club's will not have had that benefit and are likely to dismiss this as a flash in the pan when there is no evidence of progress since that time. But as you say a fire sale may always generate some interest from bargain hunters.

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1784
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Heaton is in a difficult situation as St Mirren want rid, but Heaton isn't going to leave unless he gets a good deal with another club.
Also St Mirren might not want to loan him out at the moment in case he gets injured which they will not want.
If nothing happens in the transfer window, then I think we could be in with a shout to get him on loan, with a view to putting him in the shop window.
Imagine that back three, Galbraith, Hughes and Heaton - that would be immense.
Defo worth keeping an eye on, and I'm sure Tommy will be in touch with him.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

SMFC_Fan
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
Team Supported: St Mirren

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by SMFC_Fan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:25 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Heaton is in a difficult situation as St Mirren want rid, but Heaton isn't going to leave unless he gets a good deal with another club.
Also St Mirren might not want to loan him out at the moment in case he gets injured which they will not want.
If nothing happens in the transfer window, then I think we could be in with a shout to get him on loan, with a view to putting him in the shop window.
Imagine that back three, Galbraith, Hughes and Heaton - that would be immense.
Defo worth keeping an eye on, and I'm sure Tommy will be in touch with him.
Can’t see us wanting to send him out on loan, if our manager is telling the paper he’s free to leave then us Saints fans are taking that as an attempt to get him off the wage bill completely. Our squad is too big as it is, and there’s too many in there not good enough for the SPL (combination of our title winning squad not being good enough - we knew that when we won the Championship, and Stubbs’ signings being atrocious - hence why the new man has already opted to punt 6 of them). The new manager will be aiming to punt anyone he isn’t keen on and aim to build his own squad in Jan to attempt to save ourselves from relegation.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11941
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 pm

I can't see that he would command a large fee, as he has hardly played any football in recent months. Hopefully as he is a young lad, he will bounce back and prove that St Mirren were wrong not to give him a chance.

H1987
Posts: 1188
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by H1987 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 pm

We don't have any money. The only way he ends up back here is a loan.

Which, if he plays well, might be St Mirren's best hope of getting some money back on him.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by D_F_C » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:11 am

We can’t afford loan wages so there is zero chance of that happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11941
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:55 am

D_F_C wrote:We can’t afford loan wages so there is zero chance of that happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite often the club loaning the player, pays the loan players wages. Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get the 5 loan players that are currently at our club.

lo36789
Posts: 8110
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by lo36789 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
D_F_C wrote:We can’t afford loan wages so there is zero chance of that happening.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite often the club loaning the player, pays the loan players wages. Otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get the 5 loan players that are currently at our club.
They do if it’s a youth loan (as they benefit from player getting experience with view they come back a better player potentially ready for their first team) not if they don’t want them anymore.

jjljks
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by jjljks » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:32 am

Shame the move never worked out for the lad, possibly not quite the right one for him (with hindsight). Whilst it looks like he would be a welcome addition to our squad, it may "do his head in" being back at BM in a struggling defence

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1746
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:28 am

No way will we be getting him back, we have enough centre backs but must admit having him alongside Liam Hughes would be some pairing, 2 giants together.Reckon he will end up in the National League or possibly League 1

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lifetime darlo fan
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:01 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign for Middlesbough u23's who previously showed an interest in him

joejaques
Posts: 2660
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by joejaques » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:18 pm

50 years wrote:Thought he had a chance to go to Middlesbrough or St Mirren and chose what he thought would be first team football but lower transfer fee for us. Would have him back as we have sadly missed his Ariel power and development potential. Pity it hasn't worked for him and hope it wasn't because he did not put in the effort as St Mirren have been struggling a touch and you would have thought a great opportunity for a good defender. Still it could be his face just doesn't fit which also happens at times, MG got rid of a few players I thought were really good.

Good luck to the lad
Was he doing the washing as well then?
Image

50 years
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by 50 years » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:49 pm

:D I should check my spelling before posting, so thank you for pointing out my silly error :thumbup:

darlo reborn
Posts: 1295
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Josh Heaton

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:21 pm

That was a BOLD move

Post Reply