TW,s tactical nous!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

en passant
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: TW,s tactical nous!

Post by en passant » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:25 pm

Feethams 1966 wrote:Couldn't work out where the 5 minutes of injury time came from yesterday. Seemed excessive at the end.
Probably the time the refs watch lost when he fell over.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:39 pm

I think what Quakerlad is saying is quite valid. Despite an upturn in form and results in the last fortnight or so, it has largely been down to loan signings bringing fresh impetus into what was a flagging squad of players and he has struck lucky with a combination that have hit the ground running pretty quickly.

Yes we enjoy the wins but underlying doubts will remain until these results become consistent over a longer period of time. I would be more optimistic about our run of form continuing if there was a guarantee of the current loan signings staying for the remainder of the season but this is not 100% - if we lose these we are back to a small squad and the lottery of more loan signings which may not have the same impact. Hence yes by all means it's currently pleasing but remember we are nowhere yet and we are still in this mess because of serious errors and misjudgements from the summer both at board and management level.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm

It was bloody ridiculous. I couldn't remember a single, notable stoppage in the entire second half. The referee was terrible, and I think we'd have been talking about him a lot more had we not won.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:52 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:I think what Quakerlad is saying is quite valid. Despite an upturn in form and results in the last fortnight or so, it has largely been down to loan signings bringing fresh impetus into what was a flagging squad of players and he has struck lucky with a combination that have hit the ground running pretty quickly.

Yes we enjoy the wins but underlying doubts will remain until these results become consistent over a longer period of time. I would be more optimistic about our run of form continuing if there was a guarantee of the current loan signings staying for the remainder of the season but this is not 100% - if we lose these we are back to a small squad and the lottery of more loan signings which may not have the same impact. Hence yes by all means it's currently pleasing but remember we are nowhere yet and we are still in this mess because of serious errors and misjudgements from the summer both at board and management level.
I think this is most if not everyone's worries.

I just want us to pick as many points as we can, as quickly as possible. Nelsons loan runs until 9th/10th Jan and I will be surprised if we keep him, that gives him York City and Kidderminster games then he is likely to be gone.

Without Nelson or a replacement as all know we are likely to pick up less points. We are reliant on Wright as our manager to get more out the players and ensure he spots what's needed, I am just hoping he does it but not sure I have any faith.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm

real_darlo_85,
I note your point re the serious errors by the board and management and am sure you are not having a pop at them individually, but errors have been the case since we started from administration, from the Shildon original move, spending money we didn't have, seats bought for Bishop Auckland etc, so not new. The reason is that these people are doing something in their spare time, (while holding down their own work loads), and because of the love of the club, so mistakes are clearly going to happen, and I don't see anything that has been done is due to incompetence. I made mistakes when I was in full time work, (and still do in retirement to be honest), I assume you will have made mistakes as well at some time. I don't see people with the relevant experience queuing up to do these jobs and I believe at this time we have the right people in place on the board to enable us to keep a football club for the future, (and yes we will need to consolidate for a few years to build up a "war chest" for the next promotion). We need to appreciate what the board members do for us, and have a bit of patience. I have a bit of experience in a senior management roll and it is not something I would want to do with the number of fans that we have that seem to be experts at running a business and managing a football team as it seems that whatever is done someone will find fault.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:55 pm

50 years wrote:real_darlo_85,
I note your point re the serious errors by the board and management and am sure you are not having a pop at them individually, but errors have been the case since we started from administration, from the Shildon original move, spending money we didn't have, seats bought for Bishop Auckland etc, so not new. The reason is that these people are doing something in their spare time, (while holding down their own work loads), and because of the love of the club, so mistakes are clearly going to happen, and I don't see anything that has been done is due to incompetence. I made mistakes when I was in full time work, (and still do in retirement to be honest), I assume you will have made mistakes as well at some time. I don't see people with the relevant experience queuing up to do these jobs and I believe at this time we have the right people in place on the board to enable us to keep a football club for the future, (and yes we will need to consolidate for a few years to build up a "war chest" for the next promotion). We need to appreciate what the board members do for us, and have a bit of patience. I have a bit of experience in a senior management roll and it is not something I would want to do with the number of fans that we have that seem to be experts at running a business and managing a football team as it seems that whatever is done someone will find fault.
No pop intended, especially in light of the unsavoury behaviour aimed at the board a few weeks ago which was unnecessary and foolish. I'm not claiming that they should be perfect and I accept mistakes will be made (and yes that includes myself!), however my point is that they unfortunately do have to shoulder some of the blame for sanctioning the transfers and funds given to TW in the summer and there has been some misplaced faith in the way the squad was assembled. Yes, they had to back TW but between a management team and board at any level, even more so at ours and how we are funded, there has to be a coherent plan which to me seems there wasn't one - a small squad of mainly Midlands based players and on fair contracts was not a risk worth taking and TW's failure to get the best out of them early on in the season and blowing cup matches compounded this mistake.

As it happens what we have now is what we should have been looking for and may not have stretched the budget to such extremes. This is the model we have to adopt. TW has had his hand forced by financial circumstances, in a similar way to Leamington last season, and so far with Nelson and co it's working but he has to now prove that this is not a flash in the pan and he can settle on tactics and style rather than just winging it - which is how me and others have viewed his tenure so far, that he hasn't provided any confidence for the long term.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:50 pm

H1987 wrote:It was bloody ridiculous. I couldn't remember a single, notable stoppage in the entire second half. The referee was terrible, and I think we'd have been talking about him a lot more had we not won.
Some of it will have been for Maddison taking two minutes every goalkick.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 am

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
H1987 wrote:It was bloody ridiculous. I couldn't remember a single, notable stoppage in the entire second half. The referee was terrible, and I think we'd have been talking about him a lot more had we not won.
The same as their keeper did until they were a goal down.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:46 am

Emdubya wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
The same as their keeper did until they were a goal down.
Yep...so doesn’t that justify it even more?

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 am

Still have to look at changing management when contract up as we will never improve under his guidance in my opinion

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:17 am

And when is his contract up?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Hopefully the confidence of a couple of wins and what the loanees bring will have improved the confidence within the whole squad, seeing Hughes back also a plus.