York V Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:30 pm

To counterbalance this dismal thread I’ll just point out that only 4 teams in our division got more points than us over the 3 games in week Christmas period.

Stockport, Southport, Chorley and Telford.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

quakerman
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

York V Darlington

Post by quakerman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:You could really feel the sense of amazement and shock among the York fans at how facile a victory that was from their position of turmoil. I don't think they could quite believe it.
Just looked on their message board and quite a few saying what a poor side we are made up of a lot of kids.Cannot disagree with that, I feel TW has gone too far playing young lads 2 or 3 who are far too lightweight for this league.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm

We were poor today, really poor.

Stems from the management wanting to play a system that didn’t work when they were appointed, didn’t work during pre-season and isn’t working now.

A cracking right-sided partnership in Trotman & Thompson, shelved.

In-fact a player re-born under TW in Thompson, benched.

2 centre midfielders that end up ridiculously far apart because they’re trying to do the job of 4 players.

A team where some players stand-off and some press.

A goalkeeper that can’t command his area, but when he does, can’t get anywhere near the ball.

15 months under TW & we’ve gone backwards. The fans supplied him with a top half (minimum) budget in the summer and he’s blown it.

The York & Ashton games have plastered over an axe-wound which will open again when Nelson goes back to Sunderland.

Humped 4-0 today by a mid-table side.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:To counterbalance this dismal thread I’ll just point out that only 4 teams in our division got more points than us over the 3 games in week Christmas period.

Stockport, Southport, Chorley and Telford.
If we're going down the route of pointless, cherry-picked statistics, on Boxing Day no team got more points than us in the division. It's meaningless because of how poor our form has been for the majority of the season.

And the fact we got stuffed by an average team today.

Without Nelson, our form doesn't really bear thinking about. I travelled down today and really wish I hadn't bothered.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo-and-Back
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlo-and-Back » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:We were poor today, really poor.

Stems from the management wanting to play a system that didn’t work when they were appointed, didn’t work during pre-season and isn’t working now.

A cracking right-sided partnership in Trotman & Thompson, shelved.

In-fact a player re-born under TW in Thompson, benched.

2 centre midfielders that end up ridiculously far apart because they’re trying to do the job of 4 players.

A team where some players stand-off and some press.

A goalkeeper that can’t command his area, but when he does, can’t get anywhere near the ball.

15 months under TW & we’ve gone backwards. The fans supplied him with a top half (minimum) budget in the summer and he’s blown it.

The York & Ashton games have plastered over an axe-wound which will open again when Nelson goes back to Sunderland.

Humped 4-0 today by a mid-table side.
Agree totally apart from having gone backwards, sideways maybe but he did inherit a shambles.

Quakers83
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Quakers83 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Outworked today.

As for the tactics, hit the ball into space relentlessly seemed to be the order. Of course we lacked any composure, and guess what, the minute York had their tails up and started to press we then started finding the man, only to be caught out as we don’t know what to do with it!

York at home was a flash in the pan. Yet again another poor performance today, they were there for the taking.

3-5-2, complicated system. Three centre halves? What advantage does that give us when they don’t step up. Wing backs don’t know whether to stay or go, centre midfielders constantly covering space out wide, giving Moke and Heslop the freedom of York. Our first shot on target registered about 10 minutes into the second half - the only thing worse was the referee.

We also don’t know when to press, some press, some don’t, should we keep all 11 behind the ball, or should Palmer be running 30 yards to close down Bartlett? Who knows because the players certainly don’t.

And the defending, wow. That third goal, how easy, not tight enough; a bit of strength and it’s game over.

Since the debacle of Nuneaton at home, W2, D1, L2 - 12 goals conceded leaving us with the 4th worst defensive record in the league.
Last edited by Quakers83 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:51 pm

It's clear TW will be here at least until the end of the season. I think it will be touch and go whether we are able to snatch enough points to stay up. It wouldn't surprise me if we suddenly plunged again into one of TW's trademark winless runs towards the bottom. But we may also manage to grab the odd win or two here and there followed by several games of leaderless, disorganised dross like we had today. And that might just about be enough to keep our heads above water. I think it could go either way given the level of ineptitude at management level.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Can't really add any more than what others have said. DarloFan97 gets it pretty much spot on with all our flaws today. There were plenty of players coasting, which for a team in a relegation battle, isn't acceptable.

Although I'm not sure why people are clamouring for Ainge's return. He's done sweet FA this season for us, and sadly I think that serious injury he suffered last season has done for him.

After the Ashton result, TW's usual supporters (HarrytheQuaker, theoriginalfatcat etc) told everyone we should be happy, stop criticising and give TW credit for the victory, despite everyone agreeing we were at best average against Ashton.

This goes to show why that was a load of nonsense.

Yes we had two decent results on Boxing Day and Saturday, but it's completely meaningless if we follow it up with lethargic dross like today. This has been the case all this season. As much as we have our financial limitations, I do wonder how bad things have to get before the board reaches breaking point with TW.

While results remain inconsistent, I believe they'll think they can just about carry on with him. My fear is that we then put in a run of 4, 5, 6 defeats on the trot, which leaves us in real peril.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:55 pm

He didn't inherit a shambles. He inherited an out of form, expensive team that had got to the play off places the previous season, and that had a number of players wanting a change in system.

Nobody, but nobody, can possibly argue that wright has done a good job. Only that he would be expensive to get rid of.

He's staying. That appears to be a fact of life. We have to live with it. But it's despite, not because of, what he is doing with our team.

And as for the points over Christmas thing, one was a scratched win over the team that is second bottom, thanks entirely to a player we will probably lose soon. And we are still sixth from bottom, six points off relegation. That's the context we should be looking at, not one flash in the pan.

Darlo2807
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:59 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:To counterbalance this dismal thread I’ll just point out that only 4 teams in our division got more points than us over the 3 games in week Christmas period.

Stockport, Southport, Chorley and Telford.
And only 5 teams have got less points than us over the campaign.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Darlo-and-Back wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:We were poor today, really poor.

Stems from the management wanting to play a system that didn’t work when they were appointed, didn’t work during pre-season and isn’t working now.

A cracking right-sided partnership in Trotman & Thompson, shelved.

In-fact a player re-born under TW in Thompson, benched.

2 centre midfielders that end up ridiculously far apart because they’re trying to do the job of 4 players.

A team where some players stand-off and some press.

A goalkeeper that can’t command his area, but when he does, can’t get anywhere near the ball.

15 months under TW & we’ve gone backwards. The fans supplied him with a top half (minimum) budget in the summer and he’s blown it.

The York & Ashton games have plastered over an axe-wound which will open again when Nelson goes back to Sunderland.

Humped 4-0 today by a mid-table side.
Agree totally apart from having gone backwards, sideways maybe but he did inherit a shambles.
Last season under MG our PPG was 1.3.

TW’s PPG for the remainder of that season was also 1.3. Which is respectable considering we had to sell Bartlett, Ferguson & Beck when he arrived.

Under TW, this season, it’s 1.12.

We have gone slightly backwards and our defence has got a lot worse.

tdk1
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by tdk1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlo-and-Back wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:We were poor today, really poor.

Stems from the management wanting to play a system that didn’t work when they were appointed, didn’t work during pre-season and isn’t working now.

A cracking right-sided partnership in Trotman & Thompson, shelved.

In-fact a player re-born under TW in Thompson, benched.

2 centre midfielders that end up ridiculously far apart because they’re trying to do the job of 4 players.

A team where some players stand-off and some press.

A goalkeeper that can’t command his area, but when he does, can’t get anywhere near the ball.

15 months under TW & we’ve gone backwards. The fans supplied him with a top half (minimum) budget in the summer and he’s blown it.

The York & Ashton games have plastered over an axe-wound which will open again when Nelson goes back to Sunderland.

Humped 4-0 today by a mid-table side.
Agree totally apart from having gone backwards, sideways maybe but he did inherit a shambles.
Last season under MG our PPG was 1.3.

TW’s PPG for the remainder of that season was also 1.3. Which is respectable considering we had to sell Bartlett, Ferguson & Beck when he arrived.

Under TW, this season, it’s 1.12.

We have gone slightly backwards and our defence has got a lot worse.
Midfield too.

quakerste
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by quakerste » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:24 pm

Another one of the issues for the defence is having a flapper and ditherer of a keeper behind you. Poorest keeper we've had for a number of years.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by divas » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:27 pm

quakerste wrote:Another one of the issues for the defence is having a flapper and ditherer of a keeper behind you. Poorest keeper we've had for a number of years.
It baffles me how he played in the league at Yeovil and was rated by their fans. From the first clanger he dropped in his first game he’s never recovered.

Quakerlad
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Quakerlad » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:28 pm

Darlofan97 is spot on.

Yet again, he changed the team and knowing that Hughes may not last 3 games in a week, he actually left Burn out of the squad completely.

Getting really tired of the same issues week after week and them not learning from them.
3-5-3 just does not work with the players we have yet he just buries his head in the sand and carries on with it.

What a sad and at the same time ridiculous situation we are in when we can not afford to ditch the very person that is taking the club backwards and probably down. Really sad times.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:32 pm

We are stuck with Wright.

Just hope we manage to sneak some wins and somehow stay out of the bottom three, however I think if we stay up it will be mainly down to the poor form of others. We will get nowhere near the points we got last season.

Strap yourselves in, we are on a roller coaster ride which may end up in the Evostik.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:36 pm

Quakerlad wrote:Darlofan97 is spot on.

Yet again, he changed the team and knowing that Hughes may not last 3 games in a week, he actually left Burn out of the squad completely.

Getting really tired of the same issues week after week and them not learning from them.
3-5-3 just does not work with the players we have yet he just buries his head in the sand and carries on with it.

What a sad and at the same time ridiculous situation we are in when we can not afford to ditch the very person that is taking the club backwards and probably down. Really sad times.
The changes weren't the worst decisions in fact with niggles, 3 games in 7 days it did make some sense and leaving Burn if Ainge is fit then seems decent enough as well.

More the fact he can't motivate the team or organise them to at press together and battle together, one player at a time puts it in, when we had the ball at least 3 York players were swarming around.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:We are stuck with Wright.

Just hope we manage to sneak some wins and somehow stay out of the bottom three, however I think if we stay up it will be mainly down to the poor form of others. We will get nowhere near the points we got last season.

Strap yourselves in, we are on a roller coaster ride which may end up in the Evostik.
I’ve considered the thought.

Who do we have contracted beyond this season, I have Ainge, Wheatley, Glover, Thompson & Saunders?

Hopefully Tommy didn’t give Burn & Henshall beyond this season. Then again they may be decent in the NPL.

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Just watched Wrights interview - not sure how the ref deemed that second half incident as not denying a goal-scoring incident to be honest. Inept referees aren't the reason we are in the s***, but they aren't half annoying.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:58 pm

Darlogramps wrote:After the Ashton result, TW's usual supporters (HarrytheQuaker, theoriginalfatcat etc) told everyone we should be happy, stop criticising and give TW credit for the victory, despite everyone agreeing we were at best average against Ashton.
Ahhhh, Darlogramps - Happy new year.

Firstly I would like to point out that I am not T.W supporter per se - I feel that his days are numbered and that there will be better managers out there that we can hopefully employ at a later stage. However I feel that some of the criticism of him on here has been over the top, unrealistic and insulting.

I can't be bothered to get into this at any length but we've picked up 6 points out of a possible 9 over this Christmas week, yet it's moan moan moan.

Incidentally, I was at the match today and it was poor, there's no getting away with it. It was a flat disorganised performance made worse by a dodgy referee.

But to get back to my original point, some of the criticism is too strong. I mean take this.....
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Wright does not deserve that level of support and we would not have beaten Ashton if it was not for that wonder goal.
I mean whatthefuck! What does this actually mean?

Quakerman2 wants to go back in time to make something not happen that did happen so that the result that did happen would change into another result. Or would Quakerman2 feel happier if it hadn't of been a wonder goal, and just been a normal tap in from a corner or something. If this had happened (a scruffy tap in) would Quakerman2 feel a little bit happier about seeing us win on Saturday.

I mean even you Darlogramps must think it's a good idea to keep the never ending tide of T.W. bashing inside the realms of reality.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6074
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by loan_star » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:21 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:After the Ashton result, TW's usual supporters (HarrytheQuaker, theoriginalfatcat etc) told everyone we should be happy, stop criticising and give TW credit for the victory, despite everyone agreeing we were at best average against Ashton.
Ahhhh, Darlogramps - Happy new year.

Firstly I would like to point out that I am not T.W supporter per se - I feel that his days are numbered and that there will be better managers out there that we can hopefully employ at a later stage. However I feel that some of the criticism of him on here has been over the top, unrealistic and insulting.

I can't be bothered to get into this at any length but we've picked up 6 points out of a possible 9 over this Christmas week, yet it's moan moan moan.

Incidentally, I was at the match today and it was poor, there's no getting away with it. It was a flat disorganised performance made worse by a dodgy referee.

But to get back to my original point, some of the criticism is too strong. I mean take this.....
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Wright does not deserve that level of support and we would not have beaten Ashton if it was not for that wonder goal.
I mean whatthefuck! What does this actually mean?

Quakerman2 wants to go back in time to make something not happen that did happen so that the result that did happen would change into another result. Or would Quakerman2 feel happier if it hadn't of been a wonder goal, and just been a normal tap in from a corner or something. If this had happened (a scruffy tap in) would Quakerman2 feel a little bit happier about seeing us win on Saturday.

I mean even you Darlogramps must think it's a good idea to keep the never ending tide of T.W. bashing inside the realms of reality.
Using Quakerman2's logic, York wouldn't have won 4-0 today had the ref not bottled the penalty we should have had. If it wasn't a penalty then it should have been a straight red card. Then he missed the blatant handball from the resulting free kick. Big decisions going against us at a key time.

Anyway, York were more up for it than we were. 6 fresh bodies in from our last encounter seem to have helped.

quakerman
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by quakerman » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Originalfatcat, what I am saying is that 900 fans decided to support our team away from home on NYD, fantastic support at this level, but we’re short changed by another poor performance.We played a very,very poor Ashton side on Saturday and as against a terrible Hereford side and an awful Nuneaton side we were awful and only got the win courtesy of a wonder goal which papered over the cracks and the York fans on their message board could not believe how poor a side we were.
I honestly think we have a big fight on our hands to stay up this season the way we concede ridiculous goals game after game.I will take 4th bottom right now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:29 pm

For me the 2 wins out of 3 over Christmas has reduced the amount of wins required to stay up from 7 to 5. That is all. Scrape 5 more wins and we have 42 points. A few draws here and there and we should have enough. A record of 5-5-8 will see us get to 47. Considering our entire record this season is 6-9-9, it won't be easy.
Regarding other teams, I think Nuneaton and Ashton are unlikely to survive. That leaves a straight shoot out between ourselves, FC Utd and Curzon, because I think Hereford have turned the corner.

real_darlo_85
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: York V Darlington

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:After the Ashton result, TW's usual supporters (HarrytheQuaker, theoriginalfatcat etc) told everyone we should be happy, stop criticising and give TW credit for the victory, despite everyone agreeing we were at best average against Ashton.
Ahhhh, Darlogramps - Happy new year.

Firstly I would like to point out that I am not T.W supporter per se - I feel that his days are numbered and that there will be better managers out there that we can hopefully employ at a later stage. However I feel that some of the criticism of him on here has been over the top, unrealistic and insulting.

I can't be bothered to get into this at any length but we've picked up 6 points out of a possible 9 over this Christmas week, yet it's moan moan moan.

Incidentally, I was at the match today and it was poor, there's no getting away with it. It was a flat disorganised performance made worse by a dodgy referee.

But to get back to my original point, some of the criticism is too strong. I mean take this.....
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Wright does not deserve that level of support and we would not have beaten Ashton if it was not for that wonder goal.
I mean whatthefuck! What does this actually mean?

Quakerman2 wants to go back in time to make something not happen that did happen so that the result that did happen would change into another result. Or would Quakerman2 feel happier if it hadn't of been a wonder goal, and just been a normal tap in from a corner or something. If this had happened (a scruffy tap in) would Quakerman2 feel a little bit happier about seeing us win on Saturday.

I mean even you Darlogramps must think it's a good idea to keep the never ending tide of T.W. bashing inside the realms of reality.
The critism is, and has been, to an extent fully justified up to now. We have been mainly inconsistent to poor under TW with odd patches of better form. He inherited a squad lacking confidence and direction until Styche turned up and dragged us out of a mess last season, you could say the same with Nelson over the past 2 weeks and this is with a full squad he constructed. Tactically he is lost and confused and it reflects on the pitch, it's only by pure luck with loan signings that (up until today) have papered over the cracks in the quality and balance of the squad that have been apparent since September. Granted we have restraints as a club but I highly doubt we should be fighting to stay out of the bottom 3 and considering the talk at the start of the season?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the refereeing decision was not a turning point and was a bit of a red herring? If we get a penalty and it's 2-1 we were playing so poorly that it would have probably reduced the size of our defeat, and if they're down to 10 men then we're not great against 10 anyway. The ref probably did get it wrong, but that poor decision did not cause our defeat.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the refereeing decision was not a turning point and was a bit of a red herring? If we get a penalty and it's 2-1 we were playing so poorly that it would have probably reduced the size of our defeat, and if they're down to 10 men then we're not great against 10 anyway. The ref probably did get it wrong, but that poor decision did not cause our defeat.
Even if we got the pen and scored, I wouldn't have fancied us to get a 2nd.

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by al_quaker » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:47 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the refereeing decision was not a turning point and was a bit of a red herring? If we get a penalty and it's 2-1 we were playing so poorly that it would have probably reduced the size of our defeat, and if they're down to 10 men then we're not great against 10 anyway. The ref probably did get it wrong, but that poor decision did not cause our defeat.
Probably wouldn't have made a difference, but with a capable referee we would have had the opportunity to at least find out!

Darlofan97
Posts: 4144
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Yes - even though 31% of our points achieved under TW have come from the opposition being reduced to 10 men or less - it wouldn’t have changed the outcome.

It sounds like a witch-hunt but the statistics are staggering.

en passant
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by en passant » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Although I'm not sure why people are clamouring for Ainge's return. He's done sweet FA this season for us, and sadly I think that serious injury he suffered last season has done for him.
I think that this answers a query raised above about why when we lost Nelson and Hughes to injury why Ainge wasn't called off the bench rather than Thommo. For me Ainge has has clearly downed tools and just doesn't want to be involved with a team that isn't challenging near the top. If this is indeed what TW thinks of his motivation, it is strange that he didn't have Burn on the bench instead, even though he hasn't proved his worth yet.

As to the game, I thought we began brightly enough but were clearly getting the signal from the ref's inconsistent decisions that we playing at something of a handicap. Having said that, York were clearly up for it and probably had the fresher team and this began to gradually show throughout the first half. Couldn't quite understand why our top scorer was on the bench from the start and only came on to replace Nelson, which was hardly a like for like replacement. More odd was the replacement of Kokolo with O'Hanlon. Don't have too much against the latter but Kokolo seemed to be doing OK, whereas there were greater needs of a rethink elsewhere in the team. Given that we were already down 2-0 and had lost our main threat up front I think a bit of creative thinking was required and despite the misgivings about Ainge (noted above) I think that we might as well have thrown him on and hoped that he might create some waves in their defence. As has been seen before Nelson's arrival, Saunders and Nicholson are lacking the physicality to have jolted York out of their serene progress towards the three points. The failure of the ref to award a penalty when it appeared to be the correct decision may also have put a dent in York's belief, but with the players we had on the pitch at that point, sadly, like others, I don't believe that it would have dug us out of the hole we were in.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: York V Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I can't be bothered to get into this at any length but we've picked up 6 points out of a possible 9 over this Christmas week, yet it's moan moan moan.
Honestly, I think you're a bigger TW fan than you want to let on. You're the first to mitigate the negatives (see this thread), you demand people give him praise (see your posts last week which you admitted you went too far), and you rarely are critical in spite of the mediocrity we see game-after-game. You've been quite unpleasant to Quakerman2 on this thread as well, in your mitigation of TW's failings. You describe criticism of TW as "never-ending TW bashing", when it really isn't. There's nothing in this thread that isn't legitimate criticism.

I also don't know why you're so fixated on those two good results (and solitary good performance) over Christmas when the rest of the season has been poor. People aren't being critical of TW because of individual matches. It's the overall sense of ineptitude TW is demonstrating. It's the same mistakes and the same mediocrity game after game. And considering TW promised us the squad was "better quality" than last season, and we were told the squad was capable of a play-off push, that explains why people are complaining.

As for the straw-clutching about the referee, I don't think we suffer any more or less from bad decisions than any other club. We've also benefited on many occasions this season from sendings off and bad decisions. VodkaVic has it right in saying the penalty decision had no effect on the outcome. We were that poor, I think we'd have failed to win, even with a penalty or a red card.
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Some of the criticism is too strong. I mean take this.....
QUAKERMAN2 wrote: Wright does not deserve that level of support and we would not have beaten Ashton if it was not for that wonder goal.
I mean whatthefuck! What does this actually mean?

Quakerman2 wants to go back in time to make something not happen that did happen so that the result that did happen would change into another result. Or would Quakerman2 feel happier if it hadn't of been a wonder goal, and just been a normal tap in from a corner or something. If this had happened (a scruffy tap in) would Quakerman2 feel a little bit happier about seeing us win on Saturday.
You're twisting the point Quakerman2 is making. Simply that it took a moment of magic from Nelson to beat a very poor side, with the general point being we expected more from the performance on Saturday. Particularly because it's against a side who , if TW's suggestion we can make the play-offs is to be believed, we should be putting in a more convincing display against, especially considering our dismantling of York three days earlier.

It's not a leap at all to say if we hadn't taken Nelson on loan, we'd be in a far bigger hole.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Post Reply