Darlington V Kidderminster

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

don'tbuythesun
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Kidderminster

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm

I didn't expect to see "tactically astute" on here any time this season. Well done, three wins out of four, so let's enjoy the moment. Pleased to hear Thommo had a good game.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Heaton didn’t make much impact when he came on , it was good to see him get a small round of applause .

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Spyman wrote:What was the formation? Looks like 3/5 at the back based on personnel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yep back 3/5, with Thommo up front. Unlike everyone else on planet earth, I don't have a problem with that formation - although the wing backs need to defend better week in week out.
Agree, don't see the problem with that formation as long as the players know their jobs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:03 pm

If we had played with the same energy and work rate in other games then we would be fine.
We know Nelson has made a difference but in my view Smith has made an equally telling contribution and thought he was outstanding today, getting Trotman out of trouble a few times. Wheatley also makes us stronger in midfield and have missed him. Would like to see him alongside Palmer next game.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:11 pm

:thumbup: I never doubted Thommo and was so pleased for him but what about Tommy? I can't knock him anymore with the way things have been going but is he an enigma or what? The York game seems like a bit of a blip with tired players facing a side finding some pride, on that day anyway and we might have turned a corner. It's never dull at Darlo - we could have hit on the Wright way at last. Gramps was right after all.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 pm

Our best overall performance of the season everyone worked there socks off. Thommo had his best game for years and deserved MOM

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Wiseacre wrote:The York game seems like a bit of a blip with tired players facing a side finding some pride,
A blip in current form. Overall the season still hasn't been good enough but we are showing signs of getting it right again. A bit less negativity from the usual suspects might be forthcoming.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:05 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:I didn't expect to see "tactically astute" on here any time this season. Well done, three wins out of four, so let's enjoy the moment. Pleased to hear Thommo had a good game.
……………….and spelt correctly as well!

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:07 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Our best overall performance of the season everyone worked there socks off. Thommo had his best game for years and deserved MOM
I just about agree the MOTM, but I thought Smith was a close second.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Quakerlad wrote:If we had played with the same energy and work rate in other games then we would be fine.
We know Nelson has made a difference but in my view Smith has made an equally telling contribution and thought he was outstanding today, getting Trotman out of trouble a few times. Wheatley also makes us stronger in midfield and have missed him. Would like to see him alongside Palmer next game.
Let's enjoy the moment a great team (inc Management) performance. However, it is a fact we started with 2 Loanees, and ended up with 4 of them on the pitch. Let's hope TW can keep some of them, though I think we all expect Nelson to return to Sunderland.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:26 pm

bga wrote:
Quakerlad wrote:If we had played with the same energy and work rate in other games then we would be fine.
Let's enjoy the moment a great team (inc Management) performance. However, it is a fact we started with 2 Loanees, and ended up with 4 of them on the pitch. Let's hope TW can keep some of them, though I think we all expect Nelson to return to Sunderland.
i don't see the issue with having loan players on the pitch. They were brought in to bolster the squad and thats what they have done.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm

loan_star wrote:
bga wrote:
i don't see the issue with having loan players on the pitch. They were brought in to bolster the squad and thats what they have done.
I agree they have made a big difference, but I feel we will be weaker when they leave, hopefully we can keep some of them, but I was trying to be realistic.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Image I never doubted Thommo and was so pleased for him but what about Tommy? I can't knock him anymore with the way things have been going but is he an enigma or what? The York game seems like a bit of a blip with tired players facing a side finding some pride, on that day anyway and we might have turned a corner. It's never dull at Darlo - we could have hit on the Wright way at last. Gramps was right after all.
I'm always right. Never doubt it.

As for TW, I really can't fathom it. Today was exactly what we've been crying out for. It was excellent. Not even I can find fault.

Some consistency now would be ideal.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:40 pm

bga wrote: I agree they have made a big difference, but I feel we will be weaker when they leave, hopefully we can keep some of them, but I was trying to be realistic.
Both the Barnsley lads are on youth loans so we can keep them as long as we want unless they get recalled. Nelson is a big doubt but if Thommo can do the same every week in that position then he may not be as big a miss as we fear. Kokolo I'm not sure about, decent but so is O'Hanlon when he's on his game.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm

Sounds like a decent performance, however it's all about consistency now. Up until the Christmas fixtures the season has quite frankly been shocking, however shoots of recovery have been evident. IF the majority of loan signings stay longer then I think we will be ok (despite TW's current short-comings) and an outside chance of making par for the season (top 10 to a playoff spot), but if we lose them then there is a chance of the squad being in a weaker position and depends on the replacements if any.

Yes, I'll enjoy the win and performance today, just we require this to be more often than not.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 pm

No issue with loan signings. They’re an essential element of most lower league/non-league teams during any given season. Think about the amount we had in our FL days...some were great. Signing higher league players on loan is a sensible thing to do surely? It’s not like we’re even the only team in NLN that have a few

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Slight concern over the subs, in particular timing over Nico & Thommo. It did seem Thommo had played his socks off yet TW took off Nico. Within minutes Thommo had been too slow to get out of the way of a nasty tackle and then had to go off injured. Can understand bringing Ainge on for 30mns of match time, but Harvey was causing lots of problems with his speed to their back 4. Smith had his best game so far and helped Hughes keep the centre solid. Kokolo got forward & back when needed as did Trots. Wheatley nicked ball in midfield, linking well with Galbraith & Elliott. Front 3 pressed well and chased long balls even lost balls, then showed intelligence in front of goal. Maddo had little to do but quick off his line when necessary. Subs managed to put a shift in so deserved the clean sheet. All in all, good performance but shame only 1123 got to see it. The loanees did well and Nelson would have scored if he had been available.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Sounds like a decent performance, however it's all about consistency now. Up until the Christmas fixtures the season has quite frankly been shocking, however shoots of recovery have been evident. IF the majority of loan signings stay longer then I think we will be ok (despite TW's current short-comings) and an outside chance of making par for the season (top 10 to a playoff spot), but if we lose them then there is a chance of the squad being in a weaker position and depends on the replacements if any.

Yes, I'll enjoy the win and performance today, just we require this to be more often than not.
Agree about the impact of the loan signings and if we lose them all.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm

jjljks wrote:Slight concern over the subs, in particular timing over Nico & Thommo. It did seem Thommo had played his socks off yet TW took off Nico. Within minutes Thommo had been too slow to get out of the way of a nasty tackle and then had to go off injured. Can understand bringing Ainge on for 30mns of match time, but Harvey was causing lots of problems with his speed to their back 4. Smith had his best game so far and helped Hughes keep the centre solid. Kokolo got forward & back when needed as did Trots. Wheatley nicked ball in midfield, linking well with Galbraith & Elliott. Front 3 pressed well and chased long balls even lost balls, then showed intelligence in front of goal. Maddo had little to do but quick off his line when necessary. Subs managed to put a shift in so deserved the clean sheet. All in all, good performance but shame only 1123 got to see it. The loanees did well and Nelson would have scored if he had been available.
TW mentioned in PMI that Nicholson had been unwell prior to the game, so understandable , Saunders was clearly limping prior to been subbed.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:25 pm

jjljks wrote:Slight concern over the subs, in particular timing over Nico & Thommo. It did seem Thommo had played his socks off yet TW took off Nico. Within minutes Thommo had been too slow to get out of the way of a nasty tackle and then had to go off injured. Can understand bringing Ainge on for 30mns of match time, but Harvey was causing lots of problems with his speed to their back 4. Smith had his best game so far and helped Hughes keep the centre solid. Kokolo got forward & back when needed as did Trots. Wheatley nicked ball in midfield, linking well with Galbraith & Elliott. Front 3 pressed well and chased long balls even lost balls, then showed intelligence in front of goal. Maddo had little to do but quick off his line when necessary. Subs managed to put a shift in so deserved the clean sheet. All in all, good performance but shame only 1123 got to see it. The loanees did well and Nelson would have scored if he had been available.
Saunders got a bad one from their left back and was struggling hence the substitution. Nicholson had a bad stomach before the game. Thommo actually got his knock before Nicholson went off so the only slight issue was that he wasn’t taken off first but if he felt he was fit enough to stay on at that time then what do you do? We had 3 decent changes on the bench and for once used them well.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:04 pm

It largely seems to be about the first goal for us at the moment, if we get it then we most often play quite well, if the opposition get it then we huff and puff and struggle to get back into the game.

You just never know what to expect from them at the minute, we have some decent players and they either perform or just drift out of the game.

Think everyone needs to accept that Wright will be manager at least until the end of the season, whether you agree or not. So when we lose the next one, might as well write it off and move on, support the team as much as we can.

As others have said Smith was excellent today and seems to get better every match, also is Nelson's 28 day loan now over, interesting to see what happens.

en passant

Post by en passant » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Having seen the Kiddie manager's PMI I was amazed to hear that he believed that they had been on top in the first half.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 pm

en passant wrote:Having seen the Kiddie manager's PMI I was amazed to hear that he believed that they had been on top in the first half.
What they did do is hold onto the ball extremely well for about 10 minutes without actually threatening.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:22 pm

en passant wrote:Having seen the Kiddie manager's PMI I was amazed to hear that he believed that they had been on top in the first half.
Well they had a lot of possession for the first half hour but they did nothing with it. How many shots did they get off?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks for news on Nico's illness which explained his substitution. At least it worked out well and would hope to have all the team plus Nelson & O'Hanlon back ready to play soon.

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Penalty for Kidderminster?
When their guy got booked for diving everyone around where I was sitting thought it was a stone cold penalty! Any other views? Be interesting to see on the video!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:35 pm

DARLODAH wrote:Penalty for Kidderminster?
When their guy got booked for diving everyone around where I was sitting thought it was a stone cold penalty! Any other views? Be interesting to see on the video!
Have to say I thought it was a penalty

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Always interested where possible to find out how the opposition supporters view the result. The interesting fall out on the Kidderminster board is the rumoured financial state of their club, even being backed by an owner with 'vast wealth', full-time and although paying a fee and bringing in Heaton, it's rumoured that they have 2 players unhappy at being paid late in December, paid HMRC late and had a winding up order against them.

It's not just us that are struggling financially and I still think we will be in a far better position than most, if we stick to the plan of fan ownership - our progress is a game of patience.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm

shawry wrote:
Have to say I thought it was a penalty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bga

Post by bga » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:07 pm

I was standing behind the goal. I thought was a pen, be interesting to see the highlights as my eyesight test this week could take on a whole new meaning!