Alfreton away

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: Alfreton away

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Strange one Re Palmer. Was he recalled by Barnsley for that game? Have they recalled him permanently?

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by onewayup » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 pm

The football was played by Darlington, I thought the team gelled well and were the better team for 75 minutes of today, on another day the reff would have given darlo a penalty for the challenge on Nicholson in first half, should definitely have been 3 points I. Think. But 1 is better than none.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:26 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:Seems like a match where the loanees we've had recently would have thrived. However, just lacking that extra quality has probably cost us 2pts. TW has to work to bring in some players of similar quality if we want to see out the season on or more positive footing rather than be dragged into a scrap at the bottom which has been a worry until recently.
I'm not sure the loanees would have made too much difference (discounting Nelson who we had already lost) I thought we played well, especially the 2nd half where I thought we were unlucky.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:37 pm

To be honest, Alfreton never really looked like scoring today and were rescued by their keeper in a game we should have won in the end. I'm liking this more organised and solid look about TW's side which is now bringing clean sheets even when we have to make changes at the back as we did today with Ainge coming in. Long may it continue.

Styche, playing right wing, then down the left and then I don't really know where, looked like he wished he was a million miles away from Balling Billy Heath's land of the giants, hoofball, predictable, hump-it "style" of play in front of 400 Alfreton diehards.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:47 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:Controversial comment of the day coming up: Ainge should play at the back from now on (give Hughes time to get fully mended)...he’s rock solid and there was no hearts in mouths at any time today
Totally agree Nick, this could well be his natural position from now on,has played there before and injuries have probably set him back to revert to a striker role again.A no brainer for me, has Tommy found another position change ala Hughes.Quite liking the look of our team lately, should have won today and who knows if this could be the start of a run towards the top 7.Our game against the pride of Durham next week could go a long way to telling us if we can make a late run towards this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Not sure what the story is re Palmer. Certainly a loanee I'd like to keep till the end of the season, strong, likes a tackle and very good at keeping possession in CM. Although we all discredit youth football the under 23 leagues can be important for the academies themselves, not sure which league they play in but if they have the potential to be promoted it's a big deal for academies, as it can effect who they can recruit in the future.

As for today, I'm pretty happy with a clean sheet. Was worried about us potentially being bullied by a big Billy Heath side. But sounds like we held our own, played some decent stuff and could have taken the three points away if Nicholson had curled his shot in at the end.

Happy for Ainge to be back and have a decent game. I still have hope for him. If anyone was at Leamington Away he was exactly what you'd want a target man to be gave their CB's some big problems, and at CB he has experience and talks to those around him. Think he needs to be playing to stay fit. A player who can play 2 positions will be useful if we operate a smaller squad.

Happy for Suanders and Thompson to be our CF's as their direct running will give defenders some problems but I think we could do with another CF on loan to add to the competition in the squad.

I don't think we're a playoff team. But I'd be happy if we can move up into the top half of the table.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Very disappointed to have not won today. However, that might represent progress. In the last 4 games we've really managed to stop the crosses raining in. York away we stopped the crosses but they hammered us through the middle. Lot more solid but we could do with starting to win away from home again.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 pm

What sort f reception did Styche get from the Darlo fans? We've got to be pleased with a clean sheet, as we haven't had many this season.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Enjoyable game today, Alfreton didn't have much about them and we possibly should be disappointed with a draw at the end.

Every player put in a decent performance and no one under a 7 out of 10. The back five were very good, Smith is excellent and has given Trotman some freedom and confidence. Thompson and Saunders won more ball than they probably should have and our lack of height across the pitch didn't stop us edging the game.

Styche is wasted at Alfreton and not sure he will enjoy playing for that team, can't see him coming back but not convinced it was a good move for him.

A decent enough point but we need to keep picking them up and with Palmer missing we are a player or two short - we certainly need another striking option.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:What sort f reception did Styche get from the Darlo fans? We've got to be pleased with a clean sheet, as we haven't had many this season.
He got a few jeers as he was playing but that was very pantomime stuff as he was the opposition, at the end he came over towards the away fans and clapped of which he got a round of applause back.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:57 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Enjoyable game today, Alfreton didn't have much about them and we possibly should be disappointed with a draw at the end.

Every player put in a decent performance and no one under a 7 out of 10. The back five were very good, Smith is excellent and has given Trotman some freedom and confidence. Thompson and Saunders won more ball than they probably should have and our lack of height across the pitch didn't stop us edging the game.

Styche is wasted at Alfreton and not sure he will enjoy playing for that team, can't see him coming back but not convinced it was a good move for him.

A decent enough point but we need to keep picking them up and with Palmer missing we are a player or two short - we certainly need another striking option.
He is wasted playing in that team but they ain't much better than us so was he wasted in our team?? That's not me saying he is a bad player and I didn't like him at Darlo because I were gutted he left...
But less traveling and probably on more money so can't blame him

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Wasted as in they do not seem to play a style of play that suits him at all, we did at times but not always, some other teams might do it more.

It wasn't about how good the teams were, more the style of play and what I believe Styche would enjoy and get the best out of him. Wide of a forward 3 in a big team, who were happy to put it in the air isn't really Reece's game.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Wasted as in they do not seem to play a style of play that suits him at all, we did at times but not always, some other teams might do it more.

It wasn't about how good the teams were, more the style of play and what I believe Styche would enjoy and get the best out of him. Wide of a forward 3 in a big team, who were happy to put it in the air isn't really Reece's game.
Yeah well that's a managers decision, If you do the homework on the opposition you try and out think them if he thinks Reece is ok to play there then that's his decision every team and game plan is different

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:Wasted as in they do not seem to play a style of play that suits him at all, we did at times but not always, some other teams might do it more.

Yeah well that's a managers decision, If you do the homework on the opposition you try and out think them if he thinks Reece is ok to play there then that's his decision every team and game plan is different

Not sure what your point is, I believe Styche is wasted in the role he had, Alfreton manager can think what he wants makes no odds to me and I am sure my opinion is something he has zero interest in also.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 pm

His goal return for us as a central striker gives a slight hint that this is his preferred position.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 am

loan_star wrote:His goal return for us as a central striker gives a slight hint that this is his preferred position.
Agreed. He looked isolated at times when out on the wings, very much a lone wolf but a capable finisher. He needed some decent balls to feed on, & when on his game, one of the best in NLN.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 am

jjljks wrote:
loan_star wrote:His goal return for us as a central striker gives a slight hint that this is his preferred position.
Agreed. He looked isolated at times when out on the wings, very much a lone wolf but a capable finisher. He needed some decent balls to feed on, & when on his game, one of the best in NLN.
Since being selected to play for Gibraltar things haven’t really gone his way.

Poor form, a bit of niggle from the Tinshed, then being moved on by us - followed by a far from brilliant start at Alfreton.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:55 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
jjljks wrote:

Poor form, a bit of niggle from the Tinshed, then being moved on by us - followed by a far from brilliant start at Alfreton.
I would still have him back in a heartbeat

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 am

jjljks wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Try Darlington FC Twitter?
Or try http://www.mixlr.com/darlo_fans for commentary
Don’t do it.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:42 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Enjoyable game today, .....

I'm guessing you never wrote the match report for the Non League Paper today.

It's headlined "Reds and Quakers Play Out a Dire Draw" and match is given a 1 star rating. The opening paragraph says"An absolute non-event at the Impact Arena left little to reflect on....."

Whoever wrote match report is a glass half empty type of person. Everything about game is given a negative slant

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 pm

The Non League Paper is probably right.

I just enjoyed the way we battled against a team from "land of the giants" and by the 2nd half we were reasonably dominant and should have probably snuck a win.

Wasn't really a good game for a neutral though.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 pm

AndyPark wrote:
jjljks wrote:
don'tbuythesun wrote:Try Darlington FC Twitter?
Or try http://www.mixlr.com/darlo_fans for commentary
Don’t do it.
Do what?? Twitter??? If that's what your talking about I'd agree it's still not fan friendly in which I mean fan interaction

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37 pm

There’s that and there’s the god awful commentary. Painful to the ears.

Example:
“Is that Smith?” How the fuck are we supposed to know, we aren’t at the game :roll: :roll:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

Much rather have it than the 1980s Andy. It was either death by Teletext, occasional updates from Radio Cleveland or, even worse, if you were on holiday abroad you had to wait until Monday afternoon until the papers arrived to find the score. Now if you're on holiday you can hear live commentary.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
jjljks wrote:

He still has 11 this season though.

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:The Non League Paper is probably right.

I just enjoyed the way we battled against a team from "land of the giants" and by the 2nd half we were reasonably dominant and should have probably snuck a win.

Wasn't really a good game for a neutral though.
I thought first half was a non event, but 2nd half I really enjoyed

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Much rather have it than the 1980s Andy. It was either death by Teletext, occasional updates from Radio Cleveland or, even worse, if you were on holiday abroad you had to wait until Monday afternoon until the papers arrived to find the score. Now if you're on holiday you can hear live commentary.
Personally, I’d rather just follow updates on twitter from fans who are there than listen to the same “pumped up field”, “is this XXXX player” or a load of other teams scores rather than commentating on the game.

Fair play to them who do offer this service for fans, but I don’t rate it.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:22 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Much rather have it than the 1980s Andy. It was either death by Teletext, occasional updates from Radio Cleveland or, even worse, if you were on holiday abroad you had to wait until Monday afternoon until the papers arrived to find the score. Now if you're on holiday you can hear live commentary.
Personally, I’d rather just follow updates on twitter from fans who are there than listen to the same “pumped up field”, “is this XXXX player” or a load of other teams scores rather than commentating on the game.

Fair play to them who do offer this service for fans, but I don’t rate it.
Some funny comments regarding the commentary from Ghost_of_1883 on twitter.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:26 pm

AndyPark wrote:There’s that and there’s the god awful commentary. Painful to the ears.

Example:
“Is that Smith?” How the fuck are we supposed to know, we aren’t at the game :roll: :roll:
I am with you I can't listen 1 minute of it.. I'm not knocking the lads for doing it, it's just my personal opinion. It's a great service for those who are away or exiled

Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm

I like Flash Scores to keep up to date too when it pings if there's a goal in your team's game. Often this signals bad news though.