Spennimoor

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennimoor

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm

I don't dislike Groves, or Spennymoor at all. It doesn't mean i'm not going to have a laugh at them on occasion.

I actually don't know where Groves wants to get fans from. They're suddenly sprung up from the Northern League. I'm joking about them being Newcastle fans without a bus fare (i'd say train, but of course Spen doesn't have a station ;) ) but it really is a reality. We have a more natural fan base because of our time as a football league club.

Premier league pub fans are a thing all over the country, but that's bound to be exacerbated in a place without a significant team (or didn't have one for many, many years) - and most don't pay attention to non league, especially as far down as the 9th level Northern League. It is seen as a curiosity, rather than a proper team to a lot of people. That's just how it is.

I think Groves has some ambition of making Spen a league club, and I think he's going to end up rather disappointed, because unless he hangs on for 20-30 years, you're unlikely to see any real organic growth.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:21 pm

I don’t understand the obsession with them on here. It’s getting like the Boro forum where they talk about Sunderland a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:51 pm

There's certainly a debate to be had about how far teams can go, and what a sustainable club is. If Spenny ever did get in the FL with crowds of around 700, that would percentage wise be better than a lot of other league clubs, it's just that you wouldn't be used to an FL team having such low crowds. However, in the future if Brad is prepared to keep funding it, then who knows. It may well be that in 20 years or so there's a few 'Project clubs' in the FL with lower crowds than we would traditionally expect, which then would start a new trend/tradition.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:57 pm

I had a look at the DFC accounts, we dont make much in terms of net transfers. The only way to become successful on a fan based club budget is to unearth some talent and sell it on at a significant gain.

To do this you need a proper structure for recruitment and player development, which doesn't mean a bloke (manager) turning up, wathcihng a match and saying "he was good".

We need to use the data that is now available to football clubs and therefore standardise all reports.That way you end up with a Josh Heaton and not a Johnny Burn!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:49 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:I had a look at the DFC accounts, we dont make much in terms of net transfers. The only way to become successful on a fan based club budget is to unearth some talent and sell it on at a significant gain.

To do this you need a proper structure for recruitment and player development, which doesn't mean a bloke (manager) turning up, wathcihng a match and saying "he was good".

We need to use the data that is now available to football clubs and therefore standardise all reports.That way you end up with a Josh Heaton and not a Johnny Burn!
Have you any idea of the amount of turds that have turned up at football clubs after being signed by so called heads of recruitment.Dennis Wise at the Toon is a perfect example.Of course a manager should say who is signed and who isn’t,it’s a major part of their job.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:12 pm

I mean using data. All players are assessed using the same data. Then the manager has the final say.

3 scouts will view the same player completely differently. If you have video analysis with stats then this can not be done. The video is there for all to see.

I'll use an unconventional example: Barnsley FC

Chris O Grady £300,000 sold 1 season later £2,000,000
Alfie Mawson Free sold 1 season later £5,000,000
Sam Winnall Free sold 2 season later £500,000
Marc Roberts Free sold 2 season later £3,500,000
Tom Bradshaw £650,000 sold 1 season later £1,250,000
Conor Hourihane £225,000 sold 2 season later £3,150,000

That is some serious success in recruitment.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:47 pm

lo36789 wrote:No it’s the sponsors...all of them sponsors.

Let’s be honest though our attendance relative to Spennymoor is actually poor. Spennymoor Football Club can’t magic up new residents or people with an emotional attachment to them so at 850 average that is quite a lot of the population who turn up.

Their attendances isn’t what we should laugh at. Their fans conviction that they are not bankrolled by Brad and that it’s just all the sponsors and club paying the players and that the players are on lower wages because of the vibes is what we can mock.

Especially when one of them lives on this board.
Hartlepool 3042
Darlington 1475
Gateshead 854
Spennymoor 827
Blyth 735

Last Night 544 freezing night newcastle home and few away fans
Sat 860 few away fans and decent crowd.
Now can we compare Hartlepool and Darlington crowds,, pool 1567 more than Darlo and Darlo 648 more than Spennymoor

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:55 pm

I feel Brad's pain. He chucks in way over a million and 500 turn up cos the Toon are on the box.

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:57 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I feel Brad's pain. He chucks in way over a million and 500 turn up cos the Toon are on the box.
Can you compare why hartlepool get over double your crowds

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:05 pm

polarbear wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I feel Brad's pain. He chucks in way over a million and 500 turn up cos the Toon are on the box.
Only if you keep crying :lol:

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 pm

polarbear wrote:
Bloody obvious to me.
Hartlepool have played at the same venue, Victoria Park, since 1908.
Since Feethams was abandoned, Darlington have had to suffer the Arena, Heritage Park and now Blackwell Meadows.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Spennimoor

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:30 pm

Sadly gateshead and spennymoor dont get the same support as darlington as both teams have been traditionally non league. I dont think darlo would get crowds they do had they in one form or another not spent the bulk of there existence in the football league. Spennys crowd is decent at conf north level and at least there fans who ive spoke to at games don’t have the billy big bollock we are ex football league like so many who have been on a downward spiral for years but still enjoy good crowds due to so many years of league football
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:55 pm

polarbear wrote:
lo36789 wrote:No it’s the sponsors...all of them sponsors.

Let’s be honest though our attendance relative to Spennymoor is actually poor. Spennymoor Football Club can’t magic up new residents or people with an emotional attachment to them so at 850 average that is quite a lot of the population who turn up.

Their attendances isn’t what we should laugh at. Their fans conviction that they are not bankrolled by Brad and that it’s just all the sponsors and club paying the players and that the players are on lower wages because of the vibes is what we can mock.

Especially when one of them lives on this board.
Hartlepool 3042
Darlington 1475
Gateshead 854
Spennymoor 827
Blyth 735

Last Night 544 freezing night newcastle home and few away fans
Sat 860 few away fans and decent crowd.
Now can we compare Hartlepool and Darlington crowds,, pool 1567 more than Darlo and Darlo 648 more than Spennymoor
I don’t really need to - the whole point of my post was crowd comparisons isn’t worth it. I was actually saying Spennymoor get decent crowds relative to population.

But you have added fans that are too thick to understand posts to the list of things we can justifiably laugh at you for.

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:17 pm

shildonlad wrote:Sadly gateshead and spennymoor dont get the same support as darlington as both teams have been traditionally non league. I dont think darlo would get crowds they do had they in one form or another not spent the bulk of there existence in the football league. Spennys crowd is decent at conf north level and at least there fans who ive spoke to at games don’t have the billy big bollock we are ex football league like so many who have been on a downward spiral for years but still enjoy good crowds due to so many years of league football
Well said

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:46 pm

As is usually the case, once the source of money dries up then thats when the club hits trouble. Look at Notts County, £35k a week from the chairman just to stay in business. No wonder he wants out. Who would take on that sort of commitment?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

Can I just say I can fully understand why a lot of Spennymoor fans stayed away despite Brad's plea for many more to rally round and show their support. There can be no denying it was a very chilly night (and no doubt very slippery on the terraces) and that Newcastle game was an awfully big attraction on the telly.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 am

Tigers69 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Absolutely pathetic home support.

- Won 5 on the bounce.
- 3rd in the league.
- Doing well in the FA Trophy.
- 3 points of second and 7 points of top.

Struggle to get over 500 home fans :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice way to talk about the kind folk who contributed to your mental health collection the other day eh? Idiot
Who's criticising the contributions to the Mental Health awareness? Get off your high horse and you'll see I have done nothing but praise those that DID contribute from the Spennymoor end :thumbup:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Being in the FA Trophy will harm their promotion chances and cause fixture congestion, so I hope they win on Saturday!! :D :D

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:25 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Tigers69 wrote:

- Won 5 on the bounce.
- 3rd in the league.

Nice way to talk about the kind folk who contributed to your mental health collection the other day eh? Idiot
Who's criticising the contributions to the Mental Health awareness? Get off your high horse and you'll see I have done nothing but praise those that DID contribute from the Spennymoor end :thumbup:
I can't say I defend Andy a lot, but Andy isn't abusing the supporters that go. He is saying that he thinks it should be more.

polarbear

Post by polarbear » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:43 pm

can we have a bit more discussion on why your crowds are so poor to Hartlepool

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm

I'd imagine it's because they have spent quite a large amount of time in the not too distant past in League 1 relatively stable. Whereas we've had 15 years of turmoil which has severely damaged our fanbase.

I don't get why some of our fans are obsessed with Spennymoor Town, and I don't get why some Spennymoor Town fans are obsessed with us. Bizarre all round.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Why don't you go and hunt some seals or, for a change, post on your own forum?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:54 pm

polarbear wrote:can we have a bit more discussion on why your crowds are so poor to Hartlepool
Okay, so this is why; from my POV.

Hartlepool have been lucky enough to stay at their ground for any duration of time, whereas we have had to endue leaving our home in Feethams and moving to a big f*cking soulless arena where we suffered financial mismanagement year after year.

Having been into administration 3 times in the space of 10 years took it's toll on the Darlington public and it's surrounding areas who couldn't face the heartache of following a football club who had been through so much in such a short period.

When we got shafted by yet another chairman and we got demoted down to the Northern League, only a hardcore of fans of 1500ish stuck by the club when others deserted it so they could follow football from the comfort of their armchairs.

Yet despite all of our controversy, we have a great hardcore of fans who time after time will provide monies to the club and not having to rely on handouts from millionaires.
Yet despite our shocking season this season and last, we still topple over a lot of clubs in this league.

Hartlepool have not suffered anywhere near as badly as we have, but you can watch from afar and see that slowly the Hartlepool fans are doing what our 'fans' did and are staying away and refuse to be binded to a club that is suffering financial mismanagement.
Hartlepool fans did not have to travel 12/13 miles out of town for 'home games' where at times we still got 2000 through the gates.
Hartlepool haven't had to rebuild from scratch without a penny to there name.
Hartlepool haven't had to deal with stagnating at a level of football where ridiculous amount of village teams overspend to be above you in a league table.

I can't even be arsed going on anymore. Anything else?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:17 pm

AndyPark wrote:
polarbear wrote:can we have a bit more discussion on why your crowds are so poor to Hartlepool
Okay, so this is why; from my POV.

Hartlepool have been lucky enough to stay at their ground for any duration of time, whereas we have had to endue leaving our home in Feethams and moving to a big f*cking soulless arena where we suffered financial mismanagement year after year.

Having been into administration 3 times in the space of 10 years took it's toll on the Darlington public and it's surrounding areas who couldn't face the heartache of following a football club who had been through so much in such a short period.

When we got shafted by yet another chairman and we got demoted down to the Northern League, only a hardcore of fans of 1500ish stuck by the club when others deserted it so they could follow football from the comfort of their armchairs.

Yet despite all of our controversy, we have a great hardcore of fans who time after time will provide monies to the club and not having to rely on handouts from millionaires.
Yet despite our shocking season this season and last, we still topple over a lot of clubs in this league.

Hartlepool have not suffered anywhere near as badly as we have, but you can watch from afar and see that slowly the Hartlepool fans are doing what our 'fans' did and are staying away and refuse to be binded to a club that is suffering financial mismanagement.
Hartlepool fans did not have to travel 12/13 miles out of town for 'home games' where at times we still got 2000 through the gates.
Hartlepool haven't had to rebuild from scratch without a penny to there name.
Hartlepool haven't had to deal with stagnating at a level of football where ridiculous amount of village teams overspend to be above you in a league table.

I can't even be arsed going on anymore. Anything else?
Pretty much agree with most of the above.

Bluntly
1. Struggling teams with little success doesn't encourage bg crowds
2. This is exacerbated by disaster - he repeated administrations, unexpected cash calls, the seat fiasco. Hartlepool are just starting this sad route and will suffer if they can't change path
3. A decent cup run or a promotion campaign will at any club see crowds increase.
4. Comparisons of crowds at Darlington, Hartlepool etc are not comparing similar things as clubs are at different stages of their journey.
5. Size of population is relevant to size of crowds as a smaller town has a far smaller pool of people to attract.

One sad fact is all the top 2 tier non league clubs in the NE are in need of more fans. All are desperately trying to boost support by using rallying calls t fans.

We should be looking together as to how to boost crowds. The reality is we are not competing for same fans. The problems Darlington have in attracting fans is probably largely the same as Hartlepool, Blythe, Gateshead and Spennymoor have. Alternative attractions including TV games, admission costs, lack of facilities etc

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm

If we were 3rd in the league and playing as well as Spenny we would probably average nearer 2000

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 pm

darlo reborn wrote:If we were 3rd in the league and playing as well as Spenny we would probably average nearer 2000
Probably - and that would still be worse as a % of the towns population than Spennymoor get.

Our home crowds - considering the size of Darlington - are really nothing to shout about.

Our away crowds always seem pretty good mind.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Tigers69 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Tigers69 wrote:

- Won 5 on the bounce.
- 3rd in the league.

Where exactly? Your wording came across as very hostile and you seem to have a dig at the club and it's support at every opportunity across social media. More than happy to ask for our help when you wanted your mental health fund promoting though weren't you? And no complaints when our chairman kindly matched what everybody raised? Poor
Was speaking to Andy last Thursday before I went to the ballet. I asked him how the collection went and he was extremely complimentary regards your chairman. In fact he called him a “fantastic bloke!”. Now go and take yourself for a thrap over some other post where you think he’s calling your chairman cos there ain’t anything for you to thrap over on his post.

Oh and he also said it in front of my Poolie mate who was with me. So any clart you’re trying to whip up is just that, clart!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:54 pm

Tigers69 wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
Tigers69 wrote:

- Won 5 on the bounce.
- 3rd in the league.

Where exactly? Your wording came across as very hostile and you seem to have a dig at the club and it's support at every opportunity across social media. More than happy to ask for our help when you wanted your mental health fund promoting though weren't you? And no complaints when our chairman kindly matched what everybody raised? Poor
If you see my social media, I have done nothing but praise the Spennymoor fans who contributed and the great generosity from not onlly your chairman, but your manager who I had a drink with in the bar afterwards.

I have a pop at the support you lot have because it is awful for a team flying high in the league. Next....

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm

I know Spenny “fans” who only go when Byker Grove aren’t playing. Never understood people who have a second team.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 pm

Might be worth having a sub forum for all the Spenny fans, they and the Darlo fans who want to can go and chat all things Spenny on there.

Well backed by a great bloke we would love to have got involved with us, decent enough crowds for the population size, good team with a strange obsession with Darlo. Sure some Darlo fans probably have a strange obsession with Spenny also.