Jimmy Lawton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Alfie
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Jimmy Lawton

Post by Alfie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:05 pm

One for the older fans. Earlier today the club announced that former player Jimmy Lawton had died. He played for the club 1961-66 - I think this was in two spells either side of a move to Everton which didn't seem to work out. I remember him as what today would be called an old fashioned centre forward. I'm not sure what the players contractual situation was in those days, but I think during the offseason he did some painting and decorating with teammate Alan Sproates.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

We sold him to Swindon and Alan Sproates signed for us as part of the deal.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

banktopp
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by banktopp » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:03 am

What stands out for me was Lawton's form in the 1964/5 season.
In an below average team (we finished 17th), he scored 29 goals. Two were in a brilliant 4-1 cup replay against Hartlepool in front of a packed Feethams (15,000), which got us a home tie against Arsenal in the third round.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 am

He was a good, old fashioned CF, quite pacey for a big lad and could certainly strike a ball.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

footifan
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by footifan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:03 pm

60 goals in his 120 games...First spell...
3 in 20 on his second stint after Swindon & Watford....
I seem to remember he signed for Swindon the day after he tore them a new one...
Powerful Centre forward great in the air...

RIP Jimmy

quakerman
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by quakerman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:07 pm

footifan wrote:60 goals in his 120 games...First spell...
3 in 20 on his second stint after Swindon & Watford....
I seem to remember he signed for Swindon the day after he tore them a new one...
Powerful Centre forward great in the air...

RIP Jimmy
Spot on there Chris, I remember that game well against Swindon, he was unplayable that night and probably his best game in a Darlo shirt.I think it may have been a league cup game and they were at least a division higher than us but not 100% certain but you will probably know with your memory.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

footifan
Posts: 792
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:34 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by footifan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:09 am

quakerman wrote:
footifan wrote:60 goals in his 120 games...First spell...
3 in 20 on his second stint after Swindon & Watford....
I seem to remember he signed for Swindon the day after he tore them a new one...
Powerful Centre forward great in the air...

RIP Jimmy
Spot on there Chris, I remember that game well against Swindon, he was unplayable that night and probably his best game in a Darlo shirt.I think it may have been a league cup game and they were at least a division higher than us but not 100% certain but you will probably know with your memory.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Yes correct ..League Cup, we beat them 2 - 1

They were 1 Division higher in Div 3

LoidLucan
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm sure the Northern Echo's picture archives will have loads of original photos of him terrorising defences in the black and white hoops. Footage will be more difficult.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:11 pm

James, I've sent you a PM.

MattR
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am
Team Supported: Watford

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by MattR » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Evening.

I'm a Watford fan trying to maintain a database of ex-Hornets. Note that Jimmy Lawton's passing away was confirmed on the club site in January as reflected here. Is anyone able to confirm that he passed away in January, or point me towards an obituary piece? I've not located one...

best

Matt

LoidLucan
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:34 pm

This was on the club's official site on January 21....



The club is sad to learn of the death at the weekend of our former centre forward Jimmy Lawton.

Jimmy, who was 76, made his debut for us in November 1961 after signing from Middlesbrough, and scored in his second game for us at Millwall in the old Fourth Division. He went on to score 71 goals in his 155 appearances over two spells.

His most fruitful season was season 1964-65, when he scored 25 league goals for us as we finished 17th in the league that season, plus another three in the FA Cup and another in the League Cup. He scored twice in the 4-1 home win over Hartlepool in a second round FA Cup replay that set us up for a home third round FA Cup tie against Arsenal.

In season 1965-66, he scored in the great 2-1 home win over Swindon in the League Cup, and was transferred to Swindon soon after the game, with midfielder Alan Sproates and £8,000 coming to us in exchange. Manager Lol Morgan then used the money to sign Bobby Cummings from Newcastle United.

Jimmy stayed at Swindon for 18 months and then had a brief spell at Watford before he returned to Feethams in March 1968. Once again, he scored in his second game for us, this time in the 2-0 home win over Swansea.

However, he struggled with injuries in his second spell, and was forced to retire after 23 games, scoring five times.

The club would like to send its sincere condolences to his family.

The funeral was on Tuesday 29th January at 1pm, in St Margaret's RC Church, Great Ayton, prior to cremation at Teesside Crematorium.

MattR
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am
Team Supported: Watford

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by MattR » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 pm

Many thanks

ralphb
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by ralphb » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:10 pm

I saw Jimmy Lawton play many times, however, my comments are about a chance meeting with Jimmy and his partner, in a Cafe on Redcar seafront last year. My wife and I plus our two grandchildren sat next to Jim and he, as my grandson had his Darlington scarf on, he asked if he was Darlington supporter. He replied he held a season ticket, Jim went onto explain he played for Darlington in the '60s.
I asked him his name and said I had seen him play many times for Darlington, we then talked for some times about that period of time and his particular friendship with Alan Sproats.
After some time talking over the past, we left the Cafe. Jim was a very charming man, still locked big and strong, I was sad to hear of his death.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jimmy Lawton

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:32 am

quakerman wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:07 pm
footifan wrote:60 goals in his 120 games...First spell...
3 in 20 on his second stint after Swindon & Watford....
I seem to remember he signed for Swindon the day after he tore them a new one...
Powerful Centre forward great in the air...

RIP Jimmy
Spot on there Chris, I remember that game well against Swindon, he was unplayable that night and probably his best game in a Darlo shirt.I think it may have been a league cup game and they were at least a division higher than us but not 100% certain but you will probably know with your memory.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see a few comments on the game but all have missed the fact we were 1-0 down and the ground virtually empty when we scored 2 goals in added time at the end.
JL went to them on the back of that game I am reasonably sure for £8,000 + Alan Sproates.
I have always thought we got the best of that deal even if it had been a straight swap.
I do not remember if Alan actually played in the match.

Post Reply