AGM

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: AGM

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Building the club house would be he big initial cost, we may have to be productive in how we fund this.

Let’s be honest it’s beyond our group of fans to raise that kind of cash on our own, we need someone who is willing to support funding on a possible long term payback option.
Yes there is no way of getting around this, we would have to raise a huge amount of cash, probably so much that it will make what we have already raised seem like pennies. And we'd probably have to borrow a lot of money on top of that to complete the job.

Look at FCUM, they raised £5 million over a number of years through fundraising, grants and borrowing, to build their own ground from scratch. All this while paying A HUNDRED GRAND a year to Bury to play there.

We should definitely pick their brains, particularly about the financials, grants etc.

At the end of the day they achieved what they set out to do.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 pm

Everything you hear and read suggests that FCUM are in the mire financially, laden down with debt. I confess, I don't like either of the two options. They both seem fraught with problems and financial ramifications beyond our means to progress. I know that's not helpful but it's the old rock and a hard place.

But if I had to make a choice, I don't think I could stomach being back in a giant empty stadium (that we hated) on a plastic pitch. Jeez, nothing's ever simple with this club, is it?

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:53 pm

According to DJ at the AGM a 4G pitch would be massive in terms of income generation but would only be allowed at BM. If we were to decide stay and develop BM could we not use the SV option as a means of negotiating a significantly better deal. Whilst I would prefer our own ground at the SV, I can’t see how we could ever raise enough money to build it.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:05 pm

The main stand/club house will be the main investment by far and of course the most difficult, the other 3 sides can be fairly inexpensive modular stadium solutions type stuff some of which we have at BM.

You’d want need a 2,000 seated main stand which would be good for the football league and your looking at a conservative estimate of £2m more likely £2.5m on the face of it a huge amount but like FCUM there are ways it can be done. The fans aren’t going to be able to fund it unless we have a lottery winner in our midst. There are other grants available apart from FSIF that could be a possibility plus by the time we would need it we’d be due another round of FSIF matched funding and if we were in the National League at that point (although back to my previous point re attracting additional revenue I’m struggling to see how we do this atm) then we’d be eligible for £400K.

I think it’s highly likely we would need some private investment in some way shape or form to compete the job but I also think it’s far more likely we attract that at the SV where there is actually some potential rather than at BM. As I say my biggest problem with a move to the SV is the inability to generate money on a non matchday through something like a 4G pitch. If that was returning £150k pa that’s £1.5m towards your stand in 10 years plus the grants etc and you’re sorted. It would probably mean staying in NLN the ground is done and then you could then use the £150K pa towards budget in order to get up to NL and stabilise at that level. 10 years may seem a long time but if we’re to do this under our own steam it will be a long term project. I’d snap your hand off to have a fit for purpose ground playing in the NL in 10/12 years. The key to unlock this is how if we can’t do the 4G pitch plan do we build that non football revenue stream.

For me the question is less around whether you want to play at BM or the SV and more about what level of football do you aspire to watch. If that’s NLN then there is no point moving from BM as it’s oerfextly adequate, it has challenges but once we’ve stabilised I think we can be sustainable at NLN level at BM with our core crowd of 1200 for the foreseeable. If you have aspirations of competing at National League or getting back into the football league I think this can only be done away from BM.

When the time comes i do hope those that don’t get their wish will continue to support the club as we can’t afford to lose many more fans, especially if the vote is to stay at BM as I just can’t see us attracting new fans whereas at the SV I think it’ll be slightly easier

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 pm

There has to be a fairly realistic future prospect that 4G pitches will be allowed in the lower leagues of the football league fairly soon... and i don't think we'll be troubling them 'fairly soon', unfortunately.

I've no desire to go back to the Arena though. I don't think it should be countenanced at all. Not without knocking the majority of it down, and replacing it with something more reasonably sized. I can't go back to watching us in that pink plastic fantastic soulless dump.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:11 pm

divas wrote:
H1987 wrote:
divas wrote:From what was said last night the land to to the open end of the ground is very soft and lies on a flood plane which has the potential to cause issues with aspects of planning and build. Add that to the pipe issue and the clubhouse and you’ve got a site that clearly isn’t up to being developed to the level we need if we have aspirations of playing above this level. Factor in the relationship we’ve had with the rugby club to date who have stifled us massively and only a mad man would want to sink more cash into that option imo.

Lee and Jon from DFCSG have done a great peice of work to demonstrate how if/when we go up the leagues our capacity will actually drop if we don’t do any work as hard standing is not applicable to differing degrees. They have identified what would need to be done to get BM to a level we would need in the league(s) above. Of course it’s all theoretical and whilst it could be done theoretically there are a lot of obstacles - for once not all financial.

I don’t expect that any of that is a surprise but it was good to see some level of detail to prove it.

I should point out last night at no point did any member of the board suggest what we should or shouldn’t do - it was a simple presentation of the facts gathered to date. You can see how much due diligence is required to pull this stuff together which is why it’s taking longer than we’d hope to get all of the facts but things are moving and at some point the owners of the club will be given some options and the full pros cons and funding required etc.
I don't quite understand this... how can that end of the ground be on a flood plane any more than the entirety of the ground? It's actually the part of the ground furthest away from a water source.

I'm not calling you a liar, but that makes absolutely no sense to me at all. The whole site is on a flood plane, and flood planes are regularly built upon... I don't doubt you relaying the information (and many thanks for doing do), but it... well. It just sounds like they want to talk down the possibility of development.

Christ, it sounds grim all in though. You really have to wonder how bad it was allowed to get under Gray, for us to be at this stage where we can barely afford our own squad. At the end of the day, we average around 1,500, and we play in Darlington, and furthermore, we know from prior meetings that the rent at BM is nothing like the unreasonable amount some were suggesting... so... where has the money gone. Down the fking drain. :thumbdown:
I’m just going from what two experts in that particular field told us last night. Take it up with them if you want to discuss details. I’m just passing on the info.
I know mate, and much appreciated for giving us all the info.

I hope in due course we'll be presented with the options by the club.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:13 pm

H1987 wrote:There has to be a fairly realistic future prospect that 4G pitches will be allowed in the lower leagues of the football league fairly soon... and i don't think we'll be troubling them 'fairly soon', unfortunately.

I've no desire to go back to the Arena though. I don't think it should be countenanced at all. Not without knocking the majority of it down, and replacing it with something more reasonably sized. I can't go back to watching us in that pink plastic fantastic soulless dump.
Two choices

1) play at BM forever at NLN/Evo Prem level in front on 1200 fans
2) spend 5-10 years playing in the refurbished arena as part of a wider SV facility in NLN/Evo Prem for 5-10 years then have a fit for purpose ground to move into with the potential for NL/FL

I know which i’d choose

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 pm

divas wrote:
H1987 wrote:There has to be a fairly realistic future prospect that 4G pitches will be allowed in the lower leagues of the football league fairly soon... and i don't think we'll be troubling them 'fairly soon', unfortunately.

Two choices

2) spend 5-10 years playing in the refurbished arena as part of a wider SV facility in NLN/Evo Prem for 5-10 years then have a fit for purpose ground to move into with the potential for NL/FL

I know which i’d choose
Choice 2 along with our own 4g pitch facilities at BM with our academy based there.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Just thinking out loud.

If we could raise £1.5m I think that would do us to build a 2,000 capacity main seated stand. The rest could be sourced via grants i’m fairly sure. Over a 10 year period that is £150K per year or £300 from 500 fans per year. A standing order of £25 per month from our 500 hard core fans would give us, in 10 years £1.5m which would build us a facility that would enable us a route back to the football league and massively enhance the appeal of the football club due to the additional facilities it would deliver.

Obviously the football on the pitch in that period would have to stagnate as there would be no boost the budget etc and we’d be subject to bobbling along at this level but sometimes you need to think of the bigger picture. The £25 per fan could then be rolled into the playing budget and away you go.

As a fan I’m looking for some kind of long term strategy that I can buy into and understand - as long as I saw that strategy progressing I could tolerate stopping at this level for the required time.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:27 pm

There is no way this club in its current form will be able to develop a Football League standard ground starting with just a field and also fund a squad capable of being promoted to the League. Realistically this just isn't going to happen. It would be a difficult enough job financing a return to the League even if we had a ready-made ground up to League standards now and with the implications of building a multi-million-pound ground on top that just isn't going to happen. Financially, it's beyond us in our current form.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:28 pm

LoidLucan wrote:There is no way this club in its current form will be able to develop a Football League standard ground starting with just a field and also fund a squad capable of being promoted to the League. Realistically this just isn't going to happen. It would be a difficult enough job financing a return to the League even if we had a ready-made ground up to League standards now and with the implications of building a multi-million-pound ground on top that just isn't going to happen. Financially, it's beyond us in our current form.
As things are today I totally agree. That’s why we need change.

Before you even start thinking about what level we play at you need a facility to that will allow you to play at that level. Once you’ve done that you then think about how you achieve that. Small steps.

At the moment we’re constrained to this level and if people are happy with that then fair enough, no problem. Let’s at least have a look at things tho

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:44 pm

divas wrote:

Two choices

I know which i’d choose
How are we funding that ground in 5-10 years though? Sorry, I don't see it as realistic. We'd still be paying Darlington Rugby club, we'd then need to start paying to play at the Arena as well, the budget is already in complete tatters, and now it's realistic we can fund a purpose built ground on top of that? It would cost millions for even a modest ground to hold 5,000 fans, regardless of if we get a pitch with floodlights. The infrastructure to build even a basic ground is phenomenally expensive. That's why we went in with the Rugby club, because regardless of its many problems, the club house made a huge difference in what we needed to build. Cheap terraces and seating stands are a drop in the water by comparison. My concern if we did go ahead with that plan you have suggested is that we would end up in the Arena forever.

In fact, it'd cost more than building an entire new clubhouse with a stand where the clubhouse is at blackwell, and a terrace at the other end.... whatever the challenges are, it is do-able with money.... and we'd need *more* for this arena plan, and have to play in that pink toilet bowl while it kills the club... and it will. Just like it will kill Mowden Park if we leave them to it. You want to be ruthless about it, we could sit for a few years until it does, and probably move back when the stadium ends up once again without a tenant. But to what end? That place was widely hated, and i don't know why anyone would want us back there.

BM will be fine up to conference national level with moderate investment to build an additional terrace and access path. Beyond that, i agree it is problematic, but we don't look like troubling much above that level with things as they are. It'd be a problem we would have to address if it became one. It isn't exactly holding Harrogate back, for example; who play in a ground that will not be allowed in the football league, and on plastic.

The council and Mowden Park need to get real and pull the fking thing down. Even just keep the main stand and knock the rest down. It's an eyesore, a drain on resources, and will *never* be financially viable. It's not financially viable as a concert venue because no one, with any regularity, has any interest in playing in Darlington - yet this seems to be trumpeted as the reason to keep persisting with the thing. There's been what, two major concerts there since it was built? That is the reality. Everyone needs to get real with it, and knock it down. If we want to be involved with something from its ashes, that's another story, but once again, i have absolutely no idea how we are funding that.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm

divas wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:There is no way this club in its current form will be able to develop a Football League standard ground starting with just a field and also fund a squad capable of being promoted to the League. Realistically this just isn't going to happen. It would be a difficult enough job financing a return to the League even if we had a ready-made ground up to League standards now and with the implications of building a multi-million-pound ground on top that just isn't going to happen. Financially, it's beyond us in our current form.
As things are today I totally agree. That’s why we need change.

Before you even start thinking about what level we play at you need a facility to that will allow you to play at that level. Once you’ve done that you then think about how you achieve that. Small steps.

At the moment we’re constrained to this level and if people are happy with that then fair enough, no problem. Let’s at least have a look at things tho
We're not constrained by this level though. We *can* be promoted. It's the level above that is the issue.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:52 pm

divas wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I think you can make one off donations as low as £1, although I think a lot of fans do a monthly direct debit for 10/20/30 quid or so.
Yes, there is no limit to what you put in. It’s simply a donation that goes into DFCSG which is them transferred to the club to help pay the bills basically. The DFCSG have a fundraising platform that makes it easier to participate and also keeps a record of how much is raised but there is nothing stopping anyone just setting up a standing order into either the DFCSG or DFC bank account
What are the bank details for both organisations? If I’m honest, I would rather do a direct donation at times rather than 50/50 tickets, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Regarding primacy of tenure, everything I've read on the subject suggests it only applies to rugby clubs who are in the Premiership. Are MP refusing to budge over this on the basis they think they are likely to get into the Premiership?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:56 pm

I've accepted that getting back into the League won't happen and I've accepted that we have now got the club we may just about be able to afford going forward. It may flirt with relegation if bad choices are made in recruitment etc and it may even trouble the play-off judges if everything is done right. I've accepted that and BM is probably the best place for such a club.

I don't think we should go down the route of a possible debt fest and the possibility of some Darlo nut with millions to chuck at us for no return seems remote. So for now we try to stabilise, accept our place in the football world and try to enjoy the ride. Let the SV go its own way. The realistic benefits to this club don't stand up and it has the potential to lead us into a major debt burden paying out at two venues because of our commitments.

Yes, we are largely just regarded as a cash generator for someone else where we are but isn't that the only reason they want us in the SV?

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:04 pm

divas wrote:Just thinking out loud.

If we could raise £1.5m I think that would do us to build a 2,000 capacity main seated stand. The rest could be sourced via grants i’m fairly sure. Over a 10 year period that is £150K per year or £300 from 500 fans per year. A standing order of £25 per month from our 500 hard core fans would give us, in 10 years £1.5m which would build us a facility that would enable us a route back to the football league and massively enhance the appeal of the football club due to the additional facilities it would deliver.

Obviously the football on the pitch in that period would have to stagnate as there would be no boost the budget etc and we’d be subject to bobbling along at this level but sometimes you need to think of the bigger picture. The £25 per fan could then be rolled into the playing budget and away you go.

As a fan I’m looking for some kind of long term strategy that I can buy into and understand - as long as I saw that strategy progressing I could tolerate stopping at this level for the required time.
Agree on the long-term strategy to buy into - I’m happy to put money into something like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Do the figures factor in rent for the Arena, rent for BM, installing a proper pitch, setting up floodlights, fence round the pitch, turnstiles etc etc etc? Would we not wind up back in the Northern League while all this was financed at the expense of everything else. We've just struggled to get the fans to hit a £10,000 target for putting names on shirts.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:38 pm

I can’t do the figures as we don’t know the answers to lots of questions. That’s what I’m expected to be presented with at a point in the future. At the moment I’m just trying to indicate that what on the face of it is an insurmountable sum can be broken down to something that could be manageable with the right strategy. The beauty of our current set up is that a democratic vote will ensue when hopefully we have all of the questions answered until then we’ll just plod along

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:27 pm

There is one almighty problem building at BM, that is the soft subsoil down to how many meters no one knows exactly, but you must build on sound foundation, s just how much concrete you would need to be able to get a strong foundation is open so you could be pouring moneys in a pit astronomical cost. So both areas need to be look at in full detail before anyone con make an informed choice.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:55 pm

I hate the arena with a passion but if its for the good of the club to move there for the short term, providing we have a good workable exit plan, then I would suffer it for the short term.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:07 pm

loan_star wrote:I hate the arena with a passion but if its for the good of the club to move there for the short term, providing we have a good workable exit plan, then I would suffer it for the short term.

a workable exit plan ? you mean our own ground like feethams.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Seventynine wrote:
loan_star wrote:I hate the arena with a passion but if its for the good of the club to move there for the short term, providing we have a good workable exit plan, then I would suffer it for the short term.

a workable exit plan ? you mean our own ground like feethams.
A piece of land on the site that we can build stands around as and when we can afford it.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Purely hypothetically, how much extra would we be looking at to buy our own plot of land somewhere in the town?!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Just thinking back on what was discussed - after being quite happy about what divas was postulating, it's a bit sobering to read LLs thoughts about costs and the probable impossibility of achieving it all.

Regarding our own place at the Arena, to be honest I think a 2,000 seat stand would be difficult to achieve at £1.5m. A modular stand yes maybe, but realistically the "main" stand would need to be a proper stand with concourse which could house changing rooms, club shop, bar as a minimum - ideally a few exec boxes as well. Not going to happen for £1.5m. If we look at the new East Stand at Feethams, OK it was 3,800 capacity so a fair bit bigger than what we are talking about here, but this cost £5 million didn't it, and that was 20 years ago.

Let's say we can somehow build a main stand for as little as 1.5-2.5 million, it's still going to cost at least 5 or 6 million in total if we're lucky, to build a 5,000 capacity 4 sided ground. Even moving the stands from BM and re-erecting them would cost a lot, and we'd still need to construct another stand as well. Then there's all the interior/exterior fencing, paving, parking etc etc etc.

But how realistic is that? As LL says, we're part of the SV talks because we are a cash cow to give Mowden another income stream, if we have our own ground on site what is in it for them, and how does it help with their running costs of the Arena? They would make money by us sharing their pitch and charging us for that, and by getting public use of that pitch on non matchdays.

I can't really see an incentive for them or anyone else to give us a parcel of land and say "there you go boys and girls, go and build on that". So could it ever happen, even if we could raise the cash?

And talking about the cash that we'd need to raise, if we were capable of raising say 5-6 million, then we could get BM up to league standard with that sort of money, so why move? Pay the million to divert the water pipe. Extend the main stand with 2 more modules so it is pitch length at a cost of around 300-500k. Build a 1,000-2,000 seated stand at the open end and section it off for away fans, and complete extra necessary work such as extra turnstiles and exits etc? Possibly a small terrace alongside the club house side if the hard standing no longer counts towards the capacity?

I know we often say that we can't get BM up to league standards, but that is based on us not spending millions of pounds and only working within the current available space. If we had millions to spend and diverted the pipe, then we've got more space to build in.

So if we need to raise millions to build a ground at the SV, why not raise millions to complete the job at BM instead?

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:48 pm

al_quaker wrote:Purely hypothetically, how much extra would we be looking at to buy our own plot of land somewhere in the town?!
Non starter there just isn’t the land, I think club once looked at Eastbourne but now with increased housing there’s no way a ground will be given permission. In fact with SV going ahead I can see Eastbourne closing and sold for more housing.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:56 pm

I personally think that to bring Blackwell upto foot league status would be marginally less than to build a new stadium within the S. V.. I also believe that more could be made from commercial aspects,
After all DRFC have made it very hard for the football club to move forward with several aspects of operational manoeuvre, s. DRFC need to take note and realise why they are still operational. Just me thinking, but they have never been to accommodating have they.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:00 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote: So if we need to raise millions to build a ground at the SV, why not raise millions to complete the job at BM instead?
At the last netcafe, DJ said that the commercial opportunities at the SV were better, although it seems like that might not be the case from the report of the AGM?

Either way, can anyone realistically see us raising the required money? It's staggering amounts of money for a small group of people to raise. We could saddle ourselves with debt, but then we'd have no chance of surviving at this level, as we can barely afford it now with relatively little debt. So we'd be consigning ourselves to years and years of Evostik football while paying for the building of a stadium fit for the football league. Which will likely do such damage to our fanbase that we'd never have to worry about troubling the football league ever again.

That being said, it looks like we're heading for the Evostik in the not too distant future as it is - if the budget needs to be cut even further next season then we'll probably be relegated next season (that's if we manage to survive this year, which is far from guaranteed).

And our main plan for increasing revenue streams so that this level is affordable (the 4g pitch) seems less likely to work than ever.

The future looks bright
Last edited by al_quaker on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Just thinking back on what was discussed - after being quite happy about what divas was postulating, it's a bit sobering to read LLs thoughts about costs and the probable impossibility of achieving it all.

Regarding our own place at the Arena, to be honest I think a 2,000 seat stand would be difficult to achieve at £1.5m. A modular stand yes maybe, but realistically the "main" stand would need to be a proper stand with concourse which could house changing rooms, club shop, bar as a minimum - ideally a few exec boxes as well. Not going to happen for £1.5m. If we look at the new East Stand at Feethams, OK it was 3,800 capacity so a fair bit bigger than what we are talking about here, but this cost £5 million didn't it, and that was 20 years ago.

Let's say we can somehow build a main stand for as little as 1.5-2.5 million, it's still going to cost at least 5 or 6 million in total if we're lucky, to build a 5,000 capacity 4 sided ground. Even moving the stands from BM and re-erecting them would cost a lot, and we'd still need to construct another stand as well. Then there's all the interior/exterior fencing, paving, parking etc etc etc.

But how realistic is that? As LL says, we're part of the SV talks because we are a cash cow to give Mowden another income stream, if we have our own ground on site what is in it for them, and how does it help with their running costs of the Arena? They would make money by us sharing their pitch and charging us for that, and by getting public use of that pitch on non matchdays.

I can't really see an incentive for them or anyone else to give us a parcel of land and say "there you go boys and girls, go and build on that". So could it ever happen, even if we could raise the cash?

And talking about the cash that we'd need to raise, if we were capable of raising say 5-6 million, then we could get BM up to league standard with that sort of money, so why move? Pay the million to divert the water pipe. Extend the main stand with 2 more modules so it is pitch length at a cost of around 300-500k. Build a 1,000-2,000 seated stand at the open end and section it off for away fans, and complete extra necessary work such as extra turnstiles and exits etc? Possibly a small terrace alongside the club house side if the hard standing no longer counts towards the capacity?

I know we often say that we can't get BM up to league standards, but that is based on us not spending millions of pounds and only working within the current available space. If we had millions to spend and diverted the pipe, then we've got more space to build in.

So if we need to raise millions to build a ground at the SV, why not raise millions to complete the job at BM instead?
If we were to stay at BM then we would need to sort the deal out we currently have to make it more worth our while. Its too heavily loaded in favour of our hosts to the detriment of DFC. They will have to step back from insisting on providing match day catering and give a better split on wet sales so the club can maximise revenue for this for a start.

Seventynine

Post by Seventynine » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:12 pm

well ..number one (good poster) how desperate we were when we left the traveller site at west Auckland and well done to all involved ..i think we should stick. for now .