2 New Signings Today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11494
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:45 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Tommy is slowly winning over the fans so come on get behind him and the lads and support the team

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Exactly, great result today well done TW and AW.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12753
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by divas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 am

tdk1 wrote:There's probably a lot more to it than this, but if we were promoted couldn't we usevtge Burnley model if banking the additional cash and using it to continue building in the likely event of relegation back to nln? I don't think wright will be bothering the national league anyway, but still.
Unfortunately there’s no extract cash available at the next level up. The money comes when you are promoted to league 2 and receive around £1.2m. That’s why the level above is so crazy as you have teams spending way beyond their means to reach the next level at which you can be sustainable with a decent full time squad

OnTheTerraces
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

Next league up is super hard to get out of and even survive in financially.

Would our gates rise to 2,000 and our sponsorships increase to offset the extra wages and travel??

User avatar
grimsbyquaker
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington FC
Location: 53°22'N, 0°01'W

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:Next league up is super hard to get out of and even survive in financially.

Would our gates rise to 2,000 and our sponsorships increase to offset the extra wages and travel??
Sadly I think not

tdk1
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by tdk1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:44 am

divas wrote:
tdk1 wrote:There's probably a lot more to it than this, but if we were promoted couldn't we usevtge Burnley model if banking the additional cash and using it to continue building in the likely event of relegation back to nln? I don't think wright will be bothering the national league anyway, but still.
Unfortunately there’s no extract cash available at the next level up. The money comes when you are promoted to league 2 and receive around £1.2m. That’s why the level above is so crazy as you have teams spending way beyond their means to reach the next level at which you can be sustainable with a decent full time squad
Ah, I'd thought there was some TV cash in national league.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 am

In the National league we would have to stay part time, simple as that.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5226
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:In the National league we would have to stay part time, simple as that.
Correct and we would most likely come back down but that's football. Unlikely we will ever be in the most perfect position to go up in terms of budget/ground, so just enjoy the football for me whilst hopefully we are slowly putting the club in a more secure footing for long term.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12753
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by divas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:27 pm

tdk1 wrote:
divas wrote:
tdk1 wrote:There's probably a lot more to it than this, but if we were promoted couldn't we usevtge Burnley model if banking the additional cash and using it to continue building in the likely event of relegation back to nln? I don't think wright will be bothering the national league anyway, but still.
Unfortunately there’s no extract cash available at the next level up. The money comes when you are promoted to league 2 and receive around £1.2m. That’s why the level above is so crazy as you have teams spending way beyond their means to reach the next level at which you can be sustainable with a decent full time squad
Ah, I'd thought there was some TV cash in national league.

They do have the odd game on BT Sport but they get paid buttons and only if picked I think. Half of the money in the league actually comes from Premier League “solidarity” payments.

spen666
Posts: 1449
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm

divas wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
divas wrote:
tdk1 wrote:There's probably a lot more to it than this, but if we were promoted couldn't we usevtge Burnley model if banking the additional cash and using it to continue building in the likely event of relegation back to nln? I don't think wright will be bothering the national league anyway, but still.
Unfortunately there’s no extract cash available at the next level up. The money comes when you are promoted to league 2 and receive around £1.2m. That’s why the level above is so crazy as you have teams spending way beyond their means to reach the next level at which you can be sustainable with a decent full time squad
Ah, I'd thought there was some TV cash in national league.

They do have the odd game on BT Sport but they get paid buttons and only if picked I think. Half of the money in the league actually comes from Premier League “solidarity” payments.

Money as Divas says is crap. If as a result of game moving to 1230ko and away side need an overnight stay... he Wrexham at Orient next month then away side will be out of pocket even after TV money
_________________________________________________________________
Twitter: @spen_666

shildonlad
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by shildonlad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 am

Bt sport is a pile of wank. They should play fair and show teams at home at least once a season but dont. Its the same teams i.e. wrexham, orient, salford on rotation
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

H1987
Posts: 983
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by H1987 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:Next league up is super hard to get out of and even survive in financially.

Would our gates rise to 2,000 and our sponsorships increase to offset the extra wages and travel??
Sadly I think not
I wouldn't rule it out entirely. A promotion run would see some organic growth of gates, combined with more attractive opposition in the league above (we often see a bounce I think when playing former league opposition - often, if nothing else, as they'll actually bring a few hundred away fans, rather than, say Southport bringing ten).

Whether we then maintain that crowd if the football standard drops again... I don't know, but there are enough lapsed fans out there.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11494
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 am

OnTheTerraces wrote:Next league up is super hard to get out of and even survive in financially.

Would our gates rise to 2,000 and our sponsorships increase to offset the extra wages and travel??
The chances are that we wouldn't, but if we had a decent mid table side and with larger away followings at BM I think we could achieve an average crowd of 2k.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4413
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 am

shildonlad wrote:Bt sport is a pile of wank. They should play fair and show teams at home at least once a season but dont. Its the same teams i.e. wrexham, orient, salford on rotation
Why should they?

BT Sport is after ratings, like all TV, radio and media outlets (after all, if no one is watching or listening, there's no point in the channel existing). For bigger ratings you want good stories and the better teams who have promotion to compete for. BT will also show sides fighting relegation, again because there is a story and something worth competing for.

No one is interested in watching two mid-table teams play a relatively meaningless match.

I would argue your approach is unfair on TV companies, forcing them to sacrifice ratings purely so a team can have the kudos of being on TV.

And if a game is moved for TV, fans of the clubs involved then complain about the kick off time, which is a more legitimate complaint. But the TV companies can't win either way.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789
Posts: 7984
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm

spen666 wrote:Money as Divas says is crap. If as a result of game moving to 1230ko and away side need an overnight stay... he Wrexham at Orient next month then away side will be out of pocket even after TV money
Wrexham would have likely stayed over for Orient anyway regardless of being on TV. Ultimately teams arrive at the ground between 12:00 and 12:30 on a matchday.

shildonlad
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by shildonlad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
shildonlad wrote:Bt sport is a pile of wank. They should play fair and show teams at home at least once a season but dont. Its the same teams i.e. wrexham, orient, salford on rotation
Why should they?

BT Sport is after ratings, like all TV, radio and media outlets (after all, if no one is watching or listening, there's no point in the channel existing). For bigger ratings you want good stories and the better teams who have promotion to compete for. BT will also show sides fighting relegation, again because there is a story and something worth competing for.

No one is interested in watching two mid-table teams play a relatively meaningless match.

I would argue your approach is unfair on TV companies, forcing them to sacrifice ratings purely so a team can have the kudos of being on TV.

And if a game is moved for TV, fans of the clubs involved then complain about the kick off time, which is a more legitimate complaint. But the TV companies can't win either way.
Think sky have a rule even in championship where every team gets shown at home at least once a season. Even if a mid table side with nothing to play for might only get shown when playing sides near the top at least they will be shown at home. I also get that se teams will appear more than others but gateshead v barrow, two sides who probably will have nowt to play for come the end of the season wont be prime viewing but they could ha e showed say gateshead v salford which drew a bigger crowd than normal or gateshead v likes of wrexham, chesterfield etc
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Darlogramps
Posts: 4413
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 am

You can't compare the Championship and the National League. Championship is way bigger, has more interest both from fans and commercially, so you're more likely to get the non-partisan fan interested than you would for a non-league game. The Championship is bigger than most top tier leagues in Europe.

Ultimately for Gateshead it's just how the cookie crumbles. BT have no obligation to select them. That's not "unfair" or "wank" as you put it. It's just tough luck I'm afraid. Plus Gateshead's game at Ebbsfleet was on earlier in the season anyone, so they're hardly ignoring you.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987
Posts: 983
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:52 am

I'm surprised they bother televising anything at all, apart from maybe the odd end of season decider, or the playoff. The market is just so small, i'm surprised there's money to be made.

If you want to debate that more money should trickle down from the Premier league and its obscene excesses, then I agree whole heartedly - but you can't expect TV companies to subsidise a league that very few people want to watch. I mean, i think we're all sat around, desperately hoping we can put a cup run together so we can get a few quid, but it really shouldn't come to that.

darlo reborn
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 pm

A cup run like Lincolns would not go amiss earned £1.5 million this season

Darlo2807
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by Darlo2807 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 pm

darlo reborn wrote:A cup run like Lincolns would not go amiss earned £1.5 million this season
Hopefully we can win a game next season! That would be a half decent start

Post Reply