2 New Signings Today

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

grimsbyquaker
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Re: 2 New Signings Today

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 pm

If he’s a left back then we either send Williams back (hope not as I rate him) or sell O’Hanlon (who I like as well but he maybe wants to be closer to home?)
If Hughes is lean and mean could he play sweeper in front of Tez and Smith? That’d give you a choice from Elliott, Nicholson or Wheatley. Thommo wide right, Kokolo/Henshall (excellent at Curzon I thought and he too can cross well on his left foot) out left... Blummin options everywhere all of a sudden

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:11 pm

grimsbyquaker wrote:If he’s a left back then we either send Williams back (hope not as I rate him) or sell O’Hanlon (who I like as well but he maybe wants to be closer to home?)
If Hughes is lean and mean could he play sweeper in front of Tez and Smith? That’d give you a choice from Elliott, Nicholson or Wheatley. Thommo wide right, Kokolo/Henshall (excellent at Curzon I thought and he too can cross well on his left foot) out left... Blummin options everywhere all of a sudden
No idea whatsoever what our starting lineup will be Nick.Pleased with these 2 signings and Tommy seems to be putting together a decent squad of players, would like Hughes back in defence asap but reckon he will leave Ainge there tomorrow.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Renowned for a very long throw, and little else if I recall. Will judge him on what he does for us though.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:01 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Renowned for a very long throw, and little else if I recall. Will judge him on what he does for us though.
Has played at a higher level including Barnet and Chesterfield so sounds like a decent signing to me.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:15 pm

Saw a fair bit of Muggleton at York. Not particularly great as a defender but his throwing ability is immense. There’s a goal on YouTube somewhere where he threw it from halfway line onto Parkin’s head in the penalty area. York fans used to call it the ‘Mugglebomb’

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:27 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Has played at a higher level including Barnet and Chesterfield so sounds like a decent signing to me.
That's absolutely no guarantee

Of course, let's hope both Muggleton and Kneeshaw are successful here and can help move us away from the relegation battle.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Renowned for a very long throw, and little else if I recall. Will judge him on what he does for us though.
Has played at a higher level including Barnet and Chesterfield so sounds like a decent signing to me.

You'd think they were all good signings who have played higher up but it doesn't always work that way

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

You'd think they were all good signings who have played higher up but it doesn't always work that way

We will judge him on his first performance and be done with it thank you very much!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 pm

Spyman wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

We will judge him on his first performance and be done with it thank you very much!

I'm sure you will like other players you have ridiculed after a few games

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:38 pm

Saw a fair bit of Muggleton when he was at York. He's solid enough if unspectacular, not really one to go belting forward and beating a man.

His throw has to be seen to be believed though, absolutely massive! Think Delap with an extra few feet.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:09 am

If we go back to using the Gary Brown playbook, I hope Sam M can get back into the defence quicker than GB did ;)
TBH, throw-ins have been a weak part of our recent performances, often resulting in us losing possession so almost anything should be an improvement.

darlogav

Post by darlogav » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 am

Muggleton is an interesting one. Listening to what people are saying about him and looking at his YouTube highlights, he seems very different to Wright's usual choice of left back.

Looks more like a Martin Gray player. Tall, solid and adding something extra to set pieces. Will be interesting to see if this means any shift in formation or the way we play.

Time will tell.

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:36 am

Didn’t we start 4-4-2 at Bishop? Surely if we did then there was a reason for that?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:44 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:Didn’t we start 4-4-2 at Bishop? Surely if we did then there was a reason for that?
Niiiccckkk, buzzing about the signing of Kneeshaw. Jason knows him from the Spraire lads, great lad wth a cracking family. In his interview he says 'Different manager this time, so hopefully a bit of luck', so clearly didn't think he was given a fair chance.

darlogav

Post by darlogav » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:14 am

grimsbyquaker wrote:Didn’t we start 4-4-2 at Bishop? Surely if we did then there was a reason for that?
Didn't realise that. Might be a clue as to manager's thinking then.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:35 am

Gav, not sure if you were at Curzon Ashton but we battered them going 4-4-2 with Ainge up front. A more experienced striker than Harvey would have banged one of the chances away.
Hoping that was a continuation.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:24 pm

So do these signings mean we are sticking with Wright for next season if things work out?

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Spyman wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

I'm sure you will like other players you have ridiculed after a few games

Such as?

It was a joke based on the collective tradition of Darlo fans writing players off after a bad debut.

I can't think of anyone I've ridiculed after a few games but happy to be corrected.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:30 pm

darlo reborn wrote:So do these signings mean we are sticking with Wright for next season if things work out?
Muggleton is on loan and Kneeshaw only until end of season, so I don't think it indicates either way.

DC

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Darlo reborn makes an interesting point about sticking with Wright next season. He's weathered some criticism but you have to be impressed by his resilience and if he continues turning Quakers round he's obviously got ability, somewhere. If he keeps us up with something to spare he might be worth sticking with, clubs who chop and change don't always benefit - he must have learned something from this season - give him another chance?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:59 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Darlo reborn makes an interesting point about sticking with Wright next season. He's weathered some criticism but you have to be impressed by his resilience and if he continues turning Quakers round he's obviously got ability, somewhere. If he keeps us up with something to spare he might be worth sticking with, clubs who chop and change don't always benefit - he must have learned something from this season - give him another chance?
Continues turning things around?

You have seen where we are in the table, haven't you?
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

grimsbyquaker

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:59 pm

I’d stick with him and AW. Knows how the club works, tries to play decent football (imagine stomaching Billy Heath’s brand of football) and let’s face it we’re not ready for promotion anyway

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:04 pm

If we sack TW and AW we wouldn't only need a new manager and assistant, we'd also need a new team to take over the academy. Also the fact our finances couldn't handle promotion, I see no rush in changing the management team.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:14 pm

I don't understand the argument "We're not ready for promotion, therefore we should stick with Wright."

Wright's job is to get the team playing well and winning matches. This is the basis for building the good attendances which, as we all know, are critical for our financial health. Therefore, we judge Wright's ability on this, not the infrastructure of the club.

Given we're currently at threat of relegation (and anyone who says we're not is wrong and delusional), it's much more sensible to be seeing what Wright achieves in the remainder of the season. If he takes us down, or we stay up by the skin of our teeth, I don't see how anyone can want him to stay.

If he takes us up into mid-table or higher, with good performances and the fundamentals of a strong team, tactics and style in place, then there's much more merit in keeping him.

The remaining three months of the season are basically his opportunity to prove why he should be in charge come August. The jury on this is very much still out. To be coming to a conclusion on this now is very premature.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:24 pm

There's probably a lot more to it than this, but if we were promoted couldn't we usevtge Burnley model if banking the additional cash and using it to continue building in the likely event of relegation back to nln? I don't think wright will be bothering the national league anyway, but still.

I do expect us to line up as a 4-4-2 today, as I think Wright wants to get ainge up front. I think we'll go maddison : muggleton, Smith, galbraith, trotman : Nicholson, Elliott, Palmer, thompson: Saunders, ainge.

It's nice to have a bench, isn't It? Henshall, hughes, kneeshaw, wheatley and kokolo would all be available to come on with that formation.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Just echoing what Gramps said. We were at rock bottom after Nuneaton and I have to say that I've been impressed with his recruitment since, even though there's an argument to say he should have used loan signings earlier. He has a big 3 months. We need to finish strongly, but also show that he has moved on tactically since last year. We keep hearing that he's a young manager who is learning, but for me he needs to show he can learn tactical astuteness. If we finish comfortably with a bit of momentum for,next year and the core of a good team that can be added to with loan signings then he deserves another chance, but we can't keep going back to ground zero. We've offloaded most of the MG signings that we couldn't afford, rightly or wrongly, and hopefully we'll be more prudent financially next year too with the budget. Chorley spent a few years gradually building a good side.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:50 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I don't understand the argument "We're not ready for promotion, therefore we should stick with Wright."

Wright's job is to get the team playing well and winning matches. This is the basis for building the good attendances which, as we all know, are critical for our financial health. Therefore, we judge Wright's ability on this, not the infrastructure of the club.

Given we're currently at threat of relegation (and anyone who says we're not is wrong and delusional), it's much more sensible to be seeing what Wright achieves in the remainder of the season. If he takes us down, or we stay up by the skin of our teeth, I don't see how anyone can want him to stay.

If he takes us up into mid-table or higher, with good performances and the fundamentals of a strong team, tactics and style in place, then there's much more merit in keeping him.

The remaining three months of the season are basically his opportunity to prove why he should be in charge come August. The jury on this is very much still out. To be coming to a conclusion on this now is very premature.
100% agree with this. He needs to prove himself - and right now, if we end up just avoiding relegation, given he has supposedly had two budgets to push for a playoff place.... that's not acceptable. If he steers us to a top half finish - and he just might - i'd continence giving him an extra year. Which is not something i would've imagined to be saying a few months ago, and he deserves some credit for that.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:01 pm

H1987 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I don't understand the argument "We're not ready for promotion, therefore we should stick with Wright."

100% agree with this. He needs to prove himself - and right now, if we end up just avoiding relegation, given he has supposedly had two budgets to push for a playoff place.... that's not acceptable. If he steers us to a top half finish - and he just might - i'd continence giving him an extra year. Which is not something i would've imagined to be saying a few months ago, and he deserves some credit for that.
How has he had two budgets for play-off place?

Last season was a complete rebuild mid season to reduce the budget.
This season he had to reduce budget again, so possibly not the play-off budget that was mentioned when we raised 86k. (partly down to poor performances that he is responsible for but pre-season and commercial revenue were both also the reason).

However this does not remove the fact that Wright has under achieved generally this season. I am certainly not convinced by him but not sure we can quote pre season budget info from the board when it was cut in October and we sold Styche/Syers.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:44 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
How has he had two budgets for play-off place?

Last season was a complete rebuild mid season to reduce the budget.
This season he had to reduce budget again, so possibly not the play-off budget that was mentioned when we raised 86k. (partly down to poor performances that he is responsible for but pre-season and commercial revenue were both also the reason).

However this does not remove the fact that Wright has under achieved generally this season. I am certainly not convinced by him but not sure we can quote pre season budget info from the board when it was cut in October and we sold Styche/Syers.
Agree with all of this. Two play off budgets?? :roll:
Wright has to show he is learning from his mistakes, of which he has made a few. He showed too much loyalty to his signings that weren't cutting it and should have used loans sooner. However he has shown a good eye for a player using this system and most of his permanent signings have shown they are decent too.
Changing the manager again is a big call to make especially considering the work Wright is doing setting up the academy too.
I thought his time was up after the Chester / Nuneaton debacles but I since then he has been winning me back over slowly.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Tommy is slowly winning over the fans so come on get behind him and the lads and support the team