Blyth V Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth V Darlington match thread

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 am

Well Blyth's Mr Happy Alun Armstrong certainly wasn't impressed with the game. He barked: "The officials cost wuh. They can't keep coming here and giving everything against us."

Apparently one of the worst games ever seen at Croft Park and neither side created any chances and it was only the officials that denied them at least a point in a lousy game.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 am

Great display yesterday. Had a night in Newcastle it’s still amazes me when chatting to toon fans that they still ask is Reynolds still in charge.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 am

quakersfan wrote:Great display yesterday. Had a night in Newcastle it’s still amazes me when chatting to toon fans that they still ask is Reynolds still in charge.
Toon fans not yet realised that you never see Ashley & Reynolds together at the same time. Master of disguise 'chameleon' George ;) He promised himself a Premiership side :!:

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am

LoidLucan wrote:Well Blyth's Mr Happy Alun Armstrong certainly wasn't impressed with the game. He barked: "The officials cost wuh. They can't keep coming here and giving everything against us."

Apparently one of the worst games ever seen at Croft Park and neither side created any chances and it was only the officials that denied them at least a point in a lousy game.
Think he was at a different game, Ainges header, the shot from Nicholson that Jameson saved, that disallowed goal, the one on one near the end, I think that is 4 chances against their single shot at goal.And taking into account our league position before the game, what does he expect.Tends to moan a lot when they get beat and always seems to pass the buck.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:14 pm

jjljks wrote:
quakersfan wrote:Great display yesterday. Had a night in Newcastle it’s still amazes me when chatting to toon fans that they still ask is Reynolds still in charge.
Toon fans not yet realised that you never see Ashley & Reynolds together at the same time. Master of disguise 'chameleon' George ;) He promised himself a Premiership side :!:

Think you have hit upon something there

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Brilliant performance today by the whole team. Very hard and perhaps unfair to pick a MOTM, but I thought Trotman was superb. As others have said this was a great and perhaps unexpected result. Great following from Darlo as per usual.
One of his best performances of the season, great energy up and down the right hand side, Smith will be some player and Tez and Hughes were as solid as a rock.Wouldn't mind that defence for next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I wonder what the chances are of us signing Smith in the summer, he’s out of contract at the end of the season.
Absolutely no chance of us signing him permanently and probably little chance of getting him on loan again.

It's like Pears last season, you just know he is too good for this level already. Presume he would get a new contract and be loaned out to National League/League 2 club.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Just watched the disallowed goal, still can't see anything wrong with that, looked a good goal, or should have been another penalty given their player took out our player before Thommo put ball in the net. Thought that the ref and one of the linesmen were more generous to Blyth than us so don't know what Armstrong was on about, they we far more physical than us but booked our players very quickly but hardly talked to there players.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:59 pm

You are right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the goal that was disallowed. The player who went down injured just pulled a calf muscle and no-one was near him and, if anything, it should have been a penalty as the ball came in and there was a foul by the Blyth player before Thommo put it in the net. Ridiculous decision and you can see now why it was a complete mystery to fans and players alike.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Smith is 20. I'm not entirely sure he'll get his contract renewed by Barnsley. He hasn't troubled their first team at all, and we're his first loan. It's a bit of a rubbish reality that league clubs expect to have seen something by now - but also an opportunity for clubs such as ourselves to pick up players who have still potential to play at a higher level.

Someone might pick him up from a league above, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he might be let go by Barnsley, and we might have a shot (if the budget would allow for it).

Darlo2807

Post by Darlo2807 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 pm

H1987 wrote:Smith is 20. I'm not entirely sure he'll get his contract renewed by Barnsley. He hasn't troubled their first team at all, and we're his first loan. It's a bit of a rubbish reality that league clubs expect to have seen something by now - but also an opportunity for clubs such as ourselves to pick up players who have still potential to play at a higher level.

Someone might pick him up from a league above, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he might be let go by Barnsley, and we might have a shot (if the budget would allow for it).
Especially if they get promoted to the Championship

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:31 pm

I believe Palmer signed a new deal before he came back on loan. Smith didn’t. Read into that what you will.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:32 pm

H1987 wrote:Smith is 20. I'm not entirely sure he'll get his contract renewed by Barnsley. He hasn't troubled their first team at all, and we're his first loan. It's a bit of a rubbish reality that league clubs expect to have seen something by now - but also an opportunity for clubs such as ourselves to pick up players who have still potential to play at a higher level.

Anything can happen I suppose.

So if you had to pick now what will happen after what you have seen of Smith and no doubt reports have been sent back to Barnsley, what would you guess at in the summer.

I am going for Smith will either get a new contract or sign for someone higher than Nat North, the other option is he is released and signs for Nat North level or below, which option you putting your money on?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:35 pm

LoidLucan wrote:You are right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the goal that was disallowed. The player who went down injured just pulled a calf muscle and no-one was near him and, if anything, it should have been a penalty as the ball came in and there was a foul by the Blyth player before Thommo put it in the net. Ridiculous decision and you can see now why it was a complete mystery to fans and players alike.
Just watched that back, looks like the Darlo player who went down fouled the Blyth player with his back lol :lol:
Awful decision by the ref.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:44 pm

If we can shift the high earners who aren’t contributing then maybe we can get Smith and have some change. I’m thinking Burn and Ainge ... I’m presuming they are high earners.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:If we can shift the high earners who aren’t contributing then maybe we can get Smith and have some change. I’m thinking Burn and Ainge ... I’m presuming they are high earners.
Don't you think a full time club would take a punt on Smith if he didn't sign for Barnsley. He has only just turned 20 and if anyone is watching him week in/week out you can see his quality.

I may well be proved wrong but I see a player that is far too good for this division and he will be snapped up by a team higher up than us. Also no doubt he is an ambitious lad if he has an offer of full time football he will take it.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Why would anyone take Ainge or Burn for what they are paid here if they’re not performing? Unfortunately Spenny don’t need our cast offs anymore

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:58 pm

divas wrote:Why would anyone take Ainge or Burn for what they are paid here if they’re not performing? Unfortunately Spenny don’t need our cast offs anymore
Think this is why we need to be a bit more careful with contract offers and reliant on the manager to get it right most times, we just can't afford passengers.

You get the feeling we signed Burn & Ainge on reputation, not what they had done in the 6 months or so.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm

We'd signed Ainge as someone who was a great header of the ball. His chance yesterday, the Hereford miss, he'd have buried them for Harrogate. It's just not happening for him.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:09 pm

Ainge could be a good replacement for Smith next season as we will no doubt lose him.Burn is hopefully on a one season deal and will be in the Northern league next year.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:We'd signed Ainge as someone who was a great header of the ball. His chance yesterday, the Hereford miss, he'd have buried them for Harrogate. It's just not happening for him.
Form, confidence, regular playing in one position all have a factor in this.

Since his injury last season he hasn't had a good run in a team up front really, with that and about to turn 31 maybe we won't see the best of him.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Emdubya wrote:Ainge could be a good replacement for Smith next season as we will no doubt lose him.Burn is hopefully on a one season deal and will be in the Northern league next year.
Need some legs in there, can't play Hughes, Galbraith and Ainge, well you can but I would be concerned we would get caught for pace/getting back in too much.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 pm

I’d rather see Vaulks with Galbraith and Hughes/Ainge at the back next season. Sounds like the loan spell has done him the world of good.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Ainge was slow, and static in the first half, there were a few balls put forward that could have been useful if he had moved in anticipation early, but seemed to wait for the ball to bounce before moving, second half he was more mobile and closed players down and was much better.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Joe Leesley at Harrogate is a great crosser of the ball who has had over 25 assists in both of his previous two seasons at Harrogate. Even Paddy Deane could probably have scored 10-15

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Well Blyth's Mr Happy Alun Armstrong certainly wasn't impressed with the game. He barked: "The officials cost wuh. They can't keep coming here and giving everything against us."

Bloody hell the guy is Mr Dour isn't he, yes it was a bad decision but they had plenty of time to respond and didn't - but of course its the ref's fault.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 am

Just watched the highlights. Agree with other posters. Don't think either pentaly shout was, but can't see any reason for the disallowed goal not to count. It was either a goal or a pen to us.

Credit to the team for a very resilient display. If we can start to grind out results like that more often there no reason a top half finish isn't possible.

Think muggleton may be worth a few goals on his own this season. We should be doing a lot more of what you see in the first 30 seconds of the highlights. Get teams pinned in and under pressure in their own box. Hope the knock he took second half wasn't too bad.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 am

I think Muggleton will be instructed to throw long into the box onto Ainge's head and wham! we have a winner....hopefully.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 am

Based on the highlights it was never a pen, and neither was Blyths shout. But also there's no discernible reason why our goal was disallowed either. Perhaps things do even themselves out

A good win. And coupled with Ashton's defeat we now have a decent gap from the relegation zone. 3 home games in a row now, albeit against tough opposition. If we can get a couple more wins soon we can start looking up and trying to finish in the top half of the table, which would be something of a success after the first half of the season

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 am

JE93 wrote:Just watched the highlights. Agree with other posters. Don't think either pentaly shout was, but can't see any reason for the disallowed goal not to count. It was either a goal or a pen to us.

Credit to the team for a very resilient display. If we can start to grind out results like that more often there no reason a top half finish isn't possible.

Think muggleton may be worth a few goals on his own this season. We should be doing a lot more of what you see in the first 30 seconds of the highlights. Get teams pinned in and under pressure in their own box. Hope the knock he took second half wasn't too bad.
Yeh I thought our penalty was very soft as was there claim for a penalty in the second half. I doubt we'd be able to offer Smith a contract next season, as he'll get better offers from higher clubs. But if Smith enjoys the next couple of months, then you never know he may feel it could be better for his career to stay with us, especially given our track record of players going to clubs further up the pyramid.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 am

I'd say we have almost no chance of signing Smith. If he's released from Barnsley I reckon there will be pro teams willing to give him a chance as he's performing very well for us. And if he didn't get signed up by a pro team and slipped to this level - well there will be bigger spenders than us sniffing around.

Just got to hope that Wright can find more loanees of the quality of the likes of Smith, Palmer, Nelson and Pears next season to bolster the squad