Blyth V Darlington match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

50 years
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Blyth V Darlington match thread

Post by 50 years » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:03 am

I thought that the penalty was soft, but having watched the highlights in slow motion, their player appears to push Nicholson with his elbow, (he went down easy, but does look like a push to me), when there was no need and gave the referee a decision to make, where as Nicholson would have not got the ball if he had just left him. Silly mistake by the Blyth player in front of the ref.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:08 pm

JE93 wrote:Just watched the highlights. Agree with other posters. Don't think either pentaly shout was, but can't see any reason for the disallowed goal not to count. It was either a goal or a pen to us.
I saw it this morning - I think our player may be offside?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Overall, think we deserved the win, thanks to a solid performance by defence (Trotman did well) and keeping a clean sheet. It is easier when we take goal chances (no matter how they come) with Thommo taking responsibility well and meriting his January Player of the Month. Options from the bench worked well, maybe a tad early for Kneeshaw to be subbed on, but would have liked to have seen him on for Thommo after he his booking. Other results went well for us, so pressure has eased a bit on TW. Hopefully we have turned the corner and can push on up the league.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 pm

I haven't seen the highlights back yet, but my thoughts at the time was that Nicholson was technically fouled, but they aren't the type you ever get when it happens in the penalty area. Need to see the replay to be sure.

Smith & Galbraith give the back 3 a lot of balance. You need a Hughes or Ainge in the middle, but you wouldn't want one of these 2 to play one of the ones outside of the centre.

Players are now starting to understand this formation

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm

tdk1 wrote:
JE93 wrote:Just watched the highlights. Agree with other posters. Don't think either pentaly shout was, but can't see any reason for the disallowed goal not to count. It was either a goal or a pen to us.
When I heard the whistle I thought we were getting a penalty for a foul on Ainge. I cannot see how he fouled the defender though the referee was signalling a push when he stopped play. Watch the ref at 7.57 approx on the highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=injcdNiHjao

Either a pen. or nothing in which case the goal would have stood as far as I can see.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Watched the penalty a few times now over the course of the weekend. Its properly soft and I'm not even sure its in the box either :lol:

No idea why we've not had one at the other end or why the referee has not let the goal stand. We've undoubtedly had to work for that, not the greatest game but will go down as one of the better performances we've had this season due to the graft we put in.

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:44 pm

tdk1 wrote:

Linesman never put his flag up. First thing I looked for.
It was the ref that gave it and only he knows why. Not even the Blyth players appealed for anything.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Looking again he seems to be gesturing for a push in the back by the darlo player,which seems a bit fanciful.