Darlington V Southport match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, botrash, charlie, uncovered

H1987
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 am

Can you actually guarantee it? Do you know something we don't, or is that just confident overstatement?

As far as most of us are aware, TW's contract is up in the summer, and no extension has been agreed yet?

OnTheTerraces
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:24 am

I think we need to keep TW and try to build a team and in 2-3 years try to get into the playoffs

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am

AndyPark wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
AndyPark wrote:
eddie-rowles wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:i think our side is too lightweight in the middle.

Next season im hoping we go for something a little more physical in the middle.

Will be a key year for Tommy next year ... his signings havent worked out as planned this year.

Ainge - knackered - immobile and unfit
Hughes - cant play in midfield where he was signed to play - immobile and very very unfit
Burn - useless and seems uninterested
Henshall- seems uninterested

Most of these issues could have been spotted prior to signing as these arent football issues.

We need to get tougher on these unfit players. I wonder who scouts them?
Oh please no! Don't spoil it for me already stating TW and next season together let me hope and dream he moves on and we can bring in a new exciting coach or player manager (James Coppinger) that can excite the crowd, excite those players around them and most importantly excite new sponsors to get this club moving forward. TW and excite do not go together
There is no doubt at all that TW will be in charge next season.
Wishful thinking here Andy. There's plenty of doubt about TW's position, certainly enough to say it's not a slam dunk he'll be in charge come August.

He had an awful first 3 to 4 months of the season, results picked up in mid-December, and we've gone back to inconsistency in recent weeks (see the excellent Blyth win followed by a dire draw v Southport).

My view hasn't changed. Between now and the end of the season, he's auditioning to prove why he should be in charge come August. We'll have a much better idea in the next six weeks or so.
No wishful thinking here gramps, I can guarantee that TW will be in charge of Darlington FC next season.
Andy - nip to a local bookie to get some odds for that - stick a tenner in and donate the winnings to the club

OnTheTerraces
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 am

im sure you cant bet on that

Darlogramps
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:54 am

Unless you know something other people don't Andy, you can't guarantee it.

As H1987 says, I've not seen any confirmation TW will be in charge come August. And if for example we go down (still a possibility although not as likely as it was post-Nuneaton) I don't see how he would be in charge.

So unless you've got insider info, saying you guarantee it isn't anything more than confident overstatement.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark
Posts: 11304
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by AndyPark » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am

Suppose we'll find out come the summer eh :thumbup:
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLW

*includes all cup games*

Darlogramps
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:08 am

AndyPark wrote:Suppose we'll find out come the summer eh Image
That much is obvious.

But the more important question is - have you been told by someone in the know TW will be in charge next season, regardless of what happens this season?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:56 am

Quakerlad wrote:Definitely for real! Never doubted his love and passion for the club and a nice guy as well it seems.
However, a few weeks ago I would say 90% of the fan base had had enough of him based on putting us in a relegation battle, many poor signings, lack of tactical nous, terrible football being played with little passion etc etc.
Yes, we have had a few better results but still a very very poor season overall and personally, he hasn’t done enough to change my view on his management ability.
I'm pleased to say that I was one of the 10% and I'm delighted that some of you are coming to the same conclusion that TW is hear to stay.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 5935
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by loan_star » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:50 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:he admits the players do not do what they are instructed, he blamed MG and players for hoof it football
Thats exactly what Gray and Atkinson said when we were accused of being long ball merchants, they said they dont tell the players to do that yet thats what they ended up doing once they were on the pitch.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1598
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by D_F_C » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 pm

If TW's contract does run out at the end of the season, I wonder if he'd agree to a rolling contract. See how he does after 3/4 months then make a decision whether to extend for the rest of the season or go separate ways.

Would be good for the club, but I'm not sure TW would accept it with no security for himself (better than having no job I suppose)

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12724
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by divas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 pm

H1987 wrote:As far as most of us are aware, TW's contract is up in the summer, and no extension has been agreed yet?

I think you means as most of us assume. As logically given why he was appointed if he was on a fixed term contract that would make sense.

You know what assume does tho...

LoidLucan
Posts: 2525
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Neither party will end the contract come the end of this season.

Crucially TW has been entrusted with setting up the Academy - vital to the club's future - and it has developed as planned. The job that TW/AW have done in this respect has already been flagged up and praised by the board. Earlier this season we were on an alarming slump and started to look like we couldn't compete at this level which quite naturally prompted fears and discontent among the fans. But TW has now shown that he can set us up to be competitive, has used the loan market effectively (which should have been done earlier) and can operate on a reduced budget which was essential.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be in charge next season, given all the above. There is no way the board will want to rip it all up and start again and I don't think TW wants to move on from the project he has started. Mind, another of those prolonged, catastrophic nosedives could upset the applecart.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12724
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by divas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:15 pm

I think that’s an excellent assessment

OnTheTerraces
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by OnTheTerraces » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:23 pm

it seems to me that the club has over spent in previous years and we need a manager who is happy to operate on a low budget.

I very much doubt we can do much better than him.

As long as we sit in mid table and sort the finances out im happy to give him 2 seasons and then in season 3 we need to have a play off push.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11356
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:20 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Neither party will end the contract come the end of this season.

Crucially TW has been entrusted with setting up the Academy - vital to the club's future - and it has developed as planned. The job that TW/AW have done in this respect has already been flagged up and praised by the board. Earlier this season we were on an alarming slump and started to look like we couldn't compete at this level which quite naturally prompted fears and discontent among the fans. But TW has now shown that he can set us up to be competitive, has used the loan market effectively (which should have been done earlier) and can operate on a reduced budget which was essential.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be in charge next season, given all the above. There is no way the board will want to rip it all up and start again and I don't think TW wants to move on from the project he has started. Mind, another of those prolonged, catastrophic nosedives could upset the applecart.
An excellent summary of the current situation.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3718
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:09 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:it seems to me that the club has over spent in previous years and we need a manager who is happy to operate on a low budget.

I very much doubt we can do much better than him.

As long as we sit in mid table and sort the finances out im happy to give him 2 seasons and then in season 3 we need to have a play off push.

Excuse my ignorance about such things but is the above the reason why Gray picked up the name of “Party Marty”? As in, he wasn’t happy to stick around after the party was over and he had to tighten his belt/knuckle down to some normality.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

biccynana
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by biccynana » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:18 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
OnTheTerraces wrote:it seems to me that the club has over spent in previous years and we need a manager who is happy to operate on a low budget.

I very much doubt we can do much better than him.

As long as we sit in mid table and sort the finances out im happy to give him 2 seasons and then in season 3 we need to have a play off push.

Excuse my ignorance about such things but is the above the reason why Gray picked up the name of “Party Marty”? As in, he wasn’t happy to stick around after the party was over and he had to tighten his belt/knuckle down to some normality.
I assumed it was sarcastic because he was such a miserable git.

m62exile
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by m62exile » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Well first of all I'm not claiming that he is going to be a success, maybe he won't be - I just think he needs more than a couple of games here and a couple of games there.

I think he is very good in the air and for some reason every man and his dog seems to ignore this - but yes he could do with a couple of goals, and quickly.
How many more do we need to give him Q? I respect your view over the years but I really can’t see your hopes coming true on this one.

I’d love to be proved wrong, honestly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie-rowles
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Neither party will end the contract come the end of this season.

Crucially TW has been entrusted with setting up the Academy - vital to the club's future - and it has developed as planned. The job that TW/AW have done in this respect has already been flagged up and praised by the board. Earlier this season we were on an alarming slump and started to look like we couldn't compete at this level which quite naturally prompted fears and discontent among the fans. But TW has now shown that he can set us up to be competitive, has used the loan market effectively (which should have been done earlier) and can operate on a reduced budget which was essential.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be in charge next season, given all the above. There is no way the board will want to rip it all up and start again and I don't think TW wants to move on from the project he has started. Mind, another of those prolonged, catastrophic nosedives could upset the applecart.
An excellent summary of the current situation.
So at the start of the season the managers criteria was reach playoffs, now you say it is avoid relegation for next few years, that is a 180 degree turn that I do not accept. If TW is retained there will be no boost the budget as he wasted the klast one,we will nosedive, working to a small budget is one thing but employing a coach who can motivate is another. TW is stubborn, is not adaptable, was forced to use loanees and if is kept on along with AW for next season will break this clubs goodwill among supporters.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11555
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by Spyman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Neither party will end the contract come the end of this season.

Crucially TW has been entrusted with setting up the Academy - vital to the club's future - and it has developed as planned. The job that TW/AW have done in this respect has already been flagged up and praised by the board. Earlier this season we were on an alarming slump and started to look like we couldn't compete at this level which quite naturally prompted fears and discontent among the fans. But TW has now shown that he can set us up to be competitive, has used the loan market effectively (which should have been done earlier) and can operate on a reduced budget which was essential.

There is no doubt in my mind he will be in charge next season, given all the above. There is no way the board will want to rip it all up and start again and I don't think TW wants to move on from the project he has started. Mind, another of those prolonged, catastrophic nosedives could upset the applecart.
An excellent summary of the current situation.
So at the start of the season the managers criteria was reach playoffs, now you say it is avoid relegation for next few years, that is a 180 degree turn that I do not accept. If TW is retained there will be no boost the budget as he wasted the klast one,we will nosedive, working to a small budget is one thing but employing a coach who can motivate is another. TW is stubborn, is not adaptable, was forced to use loanees and if is kept on along with AW for next season will break this clubs goodwill among supporters.
You say wasted, but it's not as if his signings have all been duds.

Hughes, Trotman, Wheatley, Elliott and Nicholson can all be deemed a success.

O'Hanlon most seem on the fence but more food than bad.

Ainge and Maddison more bad than good.

Burn and Henshall appear complete duds.

So probably more good than bad signings, but the balance of the squad was wrong until the loan signings came in and it probably doesn't help that one of the failed signings is probably one of the biggest earners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987
Posts: 944
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by H1987 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:36 pm

divas wrote:
H1987 wrote:As far as most of us are aware, TW's contract is up in the summer, and no extension has been agreed yet?

I think you means as most of us assume. As logically given why he was appointed if he was on a fixed term contract that would make sense.

You know what assume does tho...
Well, no. That's what we were told when he took over, wasn't it? I don't have the source to hand, but didn't the club announce his contract was 18 months when he took over?

Happy to be proven wrong, but if they did, that's not an assumption... Anyway, i'm asking if anyone *is* in the know, if they'd care to share that information with us... On an 'alleged' basis, if required...

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1598
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by D_F_C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm

One thing I forgot to mention about the Southport game was Galbraith. He didn't seem to get enough credit for when he put his head in and got a mild concussion for it.

The ball was bouncing dangerously in our box with keeper, their forward and Galbraith all going for it, tez took command and headed it away. We could easily have conceded from this and Galbraith took one for the team

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1598
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Southport match thread

Post by D_F_C » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:47 pm

One thing I forgot to mention about the Southport game was Galbraith. He didn't seem to get enough credit for when he put his head in and got a mild concussion for it.

The ball was bouncing dangerously in our box with keeper, their forward and Galbraith all going for it, tez took command and headed it away. We could easily have conceded from this and Galbraith took one for the team

Post Reply