Do The Wright Thing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Do The Wright Thing

Post by divas » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:46 am

I’m not denying there’s plenty of blame that can be apportioned but just found it strange that you highlight Nelson’s 6 goals in a month as a comparator for others when he’s clearly a far far better player that really we very lucky to have.

As far as scorers go we certainly could be doing better but it’s comparable to all others outside the top 7. Losing Styche had obviously been a massive blow as he had the rare ability to fashion chances and finish them himself. That’s why Ainge has such a disastrous signing as a striker. Not only has he been impotent but with no chance of moving him on Styche had to go instead. In hindsight we would have been much better off not signing Ainge and it probably meant Styche would still be here (although I accept the funds would have been spent elsewhere but does show the value of leaving a little bit in the kitty)

Thompson has always blown hot and cold as we’ve moved up the levels. Always seems to raise his game against local opposition but often goes missing in other games. There’s got to be some self motivation there surely. I’m not even sure what his best position is anymore. He’s not clinical enough to be a striker and Nicholson is a better player imo in the number 10 role which leaves him a bit out of place in the current formation which is why he’d previously been shunted out to RWB. Trouble is, whilst he’s a very good player on his day I don’t think you can afford to change the setup to accommodate him as an out and out winger.

The main problem we’ve faced much of this season is the balance of the team, we’re either too open, concede too many but score a few or tighter at the back but with no edge to our attacking play. That’s the conundrum he’s got to solve if he’s ever going to make a relative success of things

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:03 am

Spot on Diva. It’s all about balance. When we’ve been free scoring we’ve also shipped plenty. Recently we’ve been tight at the back with no cutting edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:06 am

I’m assured that we are taking the club infrastructure on the playing side to “football league level” ..... whatever that means.

My source said that it wasn’t to do with buying players but the way the club is structured on the playing side. Must be the under 23 side mentioned on the website.

Now we will have an academy, u23 and first team .... must cost a bit of money to run what is effectively 3 teams, unless the under 23 is basically a way to play academy and non playing first teamers? So Jonny Burn, henshall can get a run out and the likes of Ainge and Hughes increase their fitness.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Am I missing something? We've sold some of our best players and your source is talking about an U23 side. How do you suggest we fund that when we're struggling to run the first team? Do tell.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:57 pm

My guess is we've budgeted for it. In future years it will be run via the profit from the academy. Think it's a good step.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:17 pm

Still seems very strange when we're talking of lower attendances and shortfalls, people saying they won't back the budget and sadly possible relegation. I could understand if we're on a sound financial footing but at the moment feels a bit crazy?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Could possibly be a bit of low level speculate to accumulate?

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Maybe I'm looking on the bright side with Wright but perhaps you have to and while Harry and Gramps are right about conversions. It was the lighter side of following Quakers that really got me thinking about Tommy's troubles; while looking at the Dave Booth archive at Barnard Castle Bowes Museum I found some writings by 'Wisequaker' an early chronicler of football in the town. As well as the well known deliberate throwing away of certain promotions there was an account of Saint Paul Heckingbottom's journey to Shildon where he underwent his 'Redworth Conversion'. He had been a harsh critic of his manager, Billy McEwan, calling him 'a fool and a smooth talking chancer'. After his queer notions Paul came to the view that if you can't have what you like then just like what you get. He also came to the view that you should beware of getting what you wish for but never really understood this until he got the Leeds managership several years later on. The Booth archive holds other material; did anyone know at the time that George Reynolds was a bad man and that Clive Nattrass had been watched by British Intelligence - a file exists somewhere but cannot be opened till Hartlepool win the FA Cup.
All very fascinating and consistent with the reality that following your team should draw on a rich fantasy life but then reality can be strange as well; did Tino Asprilla really flirt with Feethams? Was Danny Bergara really thought to be a better manager than Jim Platt?
Anyway, back to the future - they say you live and learn, Wrighty must have absorbed enough by now to do better. We know he can do it just lets see him do it consistently.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Wiseacre wrote:Maybe I'm looking on the bright side with Wright but perhaps you have to and while Harry and Gramps are right about conversions. It was the lighter side of following Quakers that really got me thinking about Tommy's troubles; while looking at the Dave Booth archive at Barnard Castle Bowes Museum I found some writings by 'Wisequaker' an early chronicler of football in the town. As well as the well known deliberate throwing away of certain promotions there was an account of Saint Paul Heckingbottom's journey to Shildon where he underwent his 'Redworth Conversion'. He had been a harsh critic of his manager, Billy McEwan, calling him 'a fool and a smooth talking chancer'. After his queer notions Paul came to the view that if you can't have what you like then just like what you get. He also came to the view that you should beware of getting what you wish for but never really understood this until he got the Leeds managership several years later on. The Booth archive holds other material; did anyone know at the time that George Reynolds was a bad man and that Clive Nattrass had been watched by British Intelligence - a file exists somewhere but cannot be opened till Hartlepool win the FA Cup.
All very fascinating and consistent with the reality that following your team should draw on a rich fantasy life but then reality can be strange as well; did Tino Asprilla really flirt with Feethams? Was Danny Bergara really thought to be a better manager than Jim Platt?
Anyway, back to the future - they say you live and learn, Wrighty must have absorbed enough by now to do better. We know he can do it just lets see him do it consistently.
Winning the odd game does not show you "can do it" as a football manager. You could say that Steve Staunton could do it too. Management is about building a team, a way of playing, developing players, team spirit and confidence.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 pm

Could have sworn i saw Asprilla do a double back flip over a golden hairclip in front of a packed Arena :wave:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:09 pm

jjljks wrote:Could have sworn i saw Asprilla do a double back flip over a golden hairclip in front of a packed Arena :wave:
In Darlo shirt double back flip over golden hair lip and onto plane with 2, grand only one to get money off george boy for nothing.at feethams.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:15 pm

Perhaps he can do it again in next Legends match :?:
Or pre-season friendly v York :lol:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:57 am

divas wrote:I’m not denying there’s plenty of blame that can be apportioned but just found it strange that you highlight Nelson’s 6 goals in a month as a comparator for others when he’s clearly a far far better player that really we very lucky to have.

As far as scorers go we certainly could be doing better but it’s comparable to all others outside the top 7. Losing Styche had obviously been a massive blow as he had the rare ability to fashion chances and finish them himself. That’s why Ainge has such a disastrous signing as a striker. Not only has he been impotent but with no chance of moving him on Styche had to go instead. In hindsight we would have been much better off not signing Ainge and it probably meant Styche would still be here (although I accept the funds would have been spent elsewhere but does show the value of leaving a little bit in the kitty)

Thompson has always blown hot and cold as we’ve moved up the levels. Always seems to raise his game against local opposition but often goes missing in other games. There’s got to be some self motivation there surely. I’m not even sure what his best position is anymore. He’s not clinical enough to be a striker and Nicholson is a better player imo in the number 10 role which leaves him a bit out of place in the current formation which is why he’d previously been shunted out to RWB. Trouble is, whilst he’s a very good player on his day I don’t think you can afford to change the setup to accommodate him as an out and out winger.

The main problem we’ve faced much of this season is the balance of the team, we’re either too open, concede too many but score a few or tighter at the back but with no edge to our attacking play. That’s the conundrum he’s got to solve if he’s ever going to make a relative success of things
Yep. Ainge has been a dreadful signing, we could have probably kept Reece in his place, and it was always a slightly odd one to spend what i imagine was much of the summer budget on him anyway. Also, not dipping into the loan market until far too late in the season, and having benches filled with kids who you couldn't use anyway...

I think he sometimes just throws ideas at the wall, and sees what sticks. What was the logic in signing Ainge? Did he really think he and Styche could play together (they couldn't). That money (probably less, given Ainge's record he probably wasn't cheap) could have been spent on a ball winning central midfielder that we needed far, far more. But to do this, he would need a system (even two that he rotates). It does just seem to be a case of who is available, and crowbar them into the team. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:57 am

divas wrote:I’m not denying there’s plenty of blame that can be apportioned but just found it strange that you highlight Nelson’s 6 goals in a month as a comparator for others when he’s clearly a far far better player that really we very lucky to have.

Yep. Ainge has been a dreadful signing, we could have probably kept Reece in his place, and it was always a slightly odd one to spend what i imagine was much of the summer budget on him anyway. Also, not dipping into the loan market until far too late in the season, and having benches filled with kids who you couldn't use anyway...

I think he sometimes just throws ideas at the wall, and sees what sticks. What was the logic in signing Ainge? Did he really think he and Styche could play together (they couldn't). That money (probably less, given Ainge's record he probably wasn't cheap) could have been spent on a ball winning central midfielder that we needed far, far more. But to do this, he would need a system (even two that he rotates). It does just seem to be a case of who is available, and crowbar them into the team. It doesn't fill me with confidence.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 am

Yeah the signings in the summer seemed very scattergun and I struggled to work out how they would fit into a cohesive unit. I presumed there must be a plan, sadly it just looked like individuals were shoe-horned into an XI.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:47 am

TW & a cunning plan do not go together

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:05 pm

Ainge did turn out to be a bad signing but there was a plan - it just didn't work, like a lot of things in the world of football. Up in the higher leagues (and in international squads) if a combination of players doesn't gel then it's relatively easy to sort out - but where we are, with no room to manouver, it's very tricky.

My view is that Ainge needs sticking in defence permanently, he'll just have to deal with it.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Ainge did turn out to be a bad signing but there was a plan - it just didn't work, like a lot of things in the world of football. Up in the higher leagues (and in international squads) if a combination of players doesn't gel then it's relatively easy to sort out - but where we are, with no room to manouver, it's very tricky.

My view is that Ainge needs sticking in defence permanently, he'll just have to deal with it.
At least it would give him a chance to prove his worth if he moved back permanently and it might get the gobby twat in the shed off his back after 5 minutes of a game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 pm

TW has had nearly as many Leavers as Corbyn & May together. Just hope Remainers can keep us away from the relegation places. Don't think Darlo FC will be in Europe next year either way ;)

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:24 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Ainge did turn out to be a bad signing but there was a plan - it just didn't work, like a lot of things in the world of football. Up in the higher leagues (and in international squads) if a combination of players doesn't gel then it's relatively easy to sort out - but where we are, with no room to manouver, it's very tricky.

Not just necessarily the Ainge/Styche combo but the fact we then had Nicholson, Syers and Thommo who could all lay claim to being best just behind a single striker even though we weren’t going to play like that if both Ainge & Styche played. Yes you need options but it just felt very unbalanced

divas

Post by divas » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:29 pm

jjljks wrote:TW has had nearly as many Leavers as Corbyn & May together. Just hope Remainers can keep us away from the relegation places. Don't think Darlo FC will be in Europe next year either way ;)
There’s no doubt that having to lose players to balance the books makes things very difficult especially as it’s generally your better players that are easier to move on. I don’t think losing the players except Styche has made us that much weaker so TW should be commended for that but we should have been better earlier in the season.

I hope the budget is set with a bit in reserve next season instead to give us a bit of leway.