An argument against youth teams

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

An argument against youth teams

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 am

An interesting perspective here from Brentford - Adapting to the realities of modern football?

I don't know if there's anything we can take away from it at our level, but I like their approach of picking up discarded players and giving them an opportunity. In a way, it's an upscale, Europe wide approach to what i'd like to see us doing at a north east level with our first team. The first thing we should be doing every summer is getting the lads released by Boro in for a trial. Then Sunderland, Newcastle, Leeds etc.

A good read, and food for thought

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46864784

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: An argument against youth teams

Post by jjljks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 am

Agree with most of that but slightly worried it could go a bit Royston Vasey - local shop for local lads.
On the other hand, this season proved that having more than 50% of the 1st team travelling over 100 miles to get to training & home games, has not worked for part-time players. Obviously we cannot go full-time as just not got the income to justify it. The plus side to a youth team is giving a short term target for our Academy players. They are our club's longterm future and we neglect them at our peril.