Liam Hughes departs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Lawman3
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Liam Hughes departs

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Excellent. Living in Lincolnshire I'll get to find out all about how he's doing and hear interviews on Radio Lincolnshire. I know some Trinity fans too. Have already e-mailed one of them.

http://www.gainsboroughtrinity.com/late ... paper.html
That really is an appalling bit of photoshop, as you can see from the background behind his head. All they have done is swapped Hughes' head for Alex Simmons'.
http://www.gainsboroughtrinity.com/gain ... y-players/
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:47 pm

I wish Liam all the best, hope everything turns out well both football and private life, for the the lad.
He's halfway there by acknowledging his demons.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:12 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I'm probably in a minority of one here but here's my take on things. He seemed like a good bloke with a lot of problems and I hope he gets sorted and I wish him well.

However, from a football point of view I can't say I am gutted like some have been saying. To be honest when I saw the pre-season games I was shocked that TW had signed someone so overweight, out of condition and unfit. It was no surprise to me that he couldn't play as the key midfield dynamo that we needed.

He's a good footballer and did well enough as a central defender but could not fulfill the vital midfield role needed. It meant we were short in a key position and this was supposed to be one of the crucial signings to help take us forward after the loss of players like Turnbull.

Like I said I wish him well but I also hope that TW reflects on the lessons he can learn when it comes to the recruitment process for key players.
Totally agree Lucan, exactly my thoughts.Liam is a cracking bloke, fingers crossed he gets back to where he wants to be, but at the end of the day TW has to do what is best for our football club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:17 pm

lifetime darlo fan wrote:Signed for Gainsborough Trinity in the division below

If this is nearer his home it should help him get back on track - good luck Liam.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Quaker85 wrote:The fans are going to be in for a bit of a shock based on that photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a really bad photoshop effort btw. What were they thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 pm

onewayup wrote:I wish Liam all the best, hope everything turns out well both football and private life, for the the lad.
He's halfway there by acknowledging his demons.
The hardest part of having personal problems is facing up to it, acknowledging it and admitting it, especially for men, luckily society is more accepting and aware of Mental Health Problems in men these days.

I have had a hard time facing up to my demons, but when people would say to me things like 'Man Up', 'Stop being a Ponce/Girl'. I am Emotionally Unstable and have been for years, but never wanted to admit it, because I was and still am to certain extent, ashamed at what has happened to me, when it could have easily been avoided.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:51 am

LoidLucan wrote:I'm probably in a minority of one here but here's my take on things. He seemed like a good bloke with a lot of problems and I hope he gets sorted and I wish him well.

However, from a football point of view I can't say I am gutted like some have been saying. To be honest when I saw the pre-season games I was shocked that TW had signed someone so overweight, out of condition and unfit. It was no surprise to me that he couldn't play as the key midfield dynamo that we needed.

He's a good footballer and did well enough as a central defender but could not fulfill the vital midfield role needed. It meant we were short in a key position and this was supposed to be one of the crucial signings to help take us forward after the loss of players like Turnbull.

Like I said I wish him well but I also hope that TW reflects on the lessons he can learn when it comes to the recruitment process for key players.
Can't disagree with any of that. I don't think any of us will begrudge him this move, particularly if it suits him and his personal circumstances more.

But I don't think anyone can pretend this move has been a success. As popular as he is, he was signed as a CM, presumably to fill the void left by Turnbull. Hindsight is wonderful of course, but it was clear very early on he wasn't that player.

And this misjudgement has subsequently had a big knock-on effect for the whole season. Not properly replacing Turnbull is one of quite a few issues we've had all season.

But best of luck to him for the future. I don't think there's any Darlo fan who won't wish him well in resolving his personal issues.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:36 am

Best wishes to him. He won a lot of people around with some very good performances at the back.

I hope he gets himself sorted out mentally and physically. He seems like a good bloke. As a player, he's got clear ability to play higher up - but obviously can't achieve that when he's so overweight. Perhaps his struggles with his weight link in with the mental health problems he has had.

Either way, he gave his all, and i was impressed by his commitment to us. Go well Liam.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:14 am

I was impressed that despite his size he never seemed to get fouly or dirty with opposition players, he played with a calm demeanour.

He could be a really good signing for G’boro.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:53 am

When I've seen him, he's given his all, despite his personal difficulties and it's great that he's helped some people to seek help for their own mental health issues. He was outstanding at Southport. Good luck, Liam and stay safe.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Just caught up with this news. He never gave less than 100% and his presence will be a big loss. Good luck for the future Liam.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 pm

Bloody hello Pete he has been gone 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Must have been some piss up you were on Pete.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:11 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Bloody hello Pete he has been gone 2 weeks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Yeh sorry I've been away for a while on the piste in the South of France.