Liam Hughes departs

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tdk1
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Hughes departs

Post by tdk1 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Wants a club closer to home.

Became a bit of a cult icon while he was here - in that our fans seemed to develop a bit of a connection with him, which I don't really sense from any of our other recent signings - so it's a bit of a shame.

Certainly don't begrudge him anything though.

lifetime darlo fan

Re: Liam Hughes departs

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:24 pm

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Well that sorts the Ainge situation for this season at least.He is now a centre back.
Probably more to this than is being said because East York’s isn’t that far compared to the commute for some of our players.Still,sorry to lose him.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Interesting - and hopefully for his sake helps with his recovery.

From our perspective I suspect given Hughes pedigree he will have been a higher if not highest earner so could free up some budget.

Striker, wide midfielder or defender is the question though?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Emdubya wrote:Well that sorts the Ainge situation for this season at least.He is now a centre back.
Probably more to this than is being said because East York’s isn’t that far compared to the commute for some of our players.Still,sorry to lose him.
Someone on the Tin Shed reckoning it was about the GPS thing and him and Wright had a disagreement.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Emdubya wrote:Well that sorts the Ainge situation for this season at least.He is now a centre back.
Well yeh. Liam Hughes has been publicly admitting he suffers with addiction and depression so his mentality is not going to be the same as players from further a field.

Maybe there is even more to it than that but at face value I can see why he would want to be closer to home even if relatively he is closer than others.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Shame. Seemed like the kind of personality you would want around the squad. Can only wish him the best for his future both on the pitch and off it.

Hopefully this means Ainge becomes the CB in the middle of the 3. Take the wage saving till the end of the season and reassess the squad needs for next year based on who’s under contract / accepts new deals etc.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:32 pm

We still have Vaulks as back up. Possibly him and Glover may play bigger roles next year.
Not that many clubs out in East Yorkshire though. North Ferriby, Pickering Town at a push?

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Now down to thirteen players excluding the loaneess. Wonder if there will be any more to leave?

Going to be another summer of rebuilding.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Just want this season to end really. After the optimism following the trip to Eindhoven, it's really not been a good season.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:54 pm

This season has really unravelled into a non event, poor planning, signings and tactics.

A lot of work required during the summer let's hope the same mistakes aren't made again.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:58 pm

As brilliant as he has been, Ainge is his equal as a centre back.

Another big earner moved on which lessons the financial pressure for the remainder of the season in one of the position we are best stocked; time will tell but it feels like a good decision.

Good luck, Liam.

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Someone on the Tin Shed reckoning it was about the GPS thing and him and Wright had a disagreement.
GPS thing?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:02 pm

Beano wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
GPS thing?
This

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... rs-fitness

By the way, that means Harvey Saunders can run the 100m in 10.88s. Wow

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Beano wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
GPS thing?
This

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... rs-fitness

By the way, that means Harvey Saunders can run the 100m in 10.88s. Wow
Thanks!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:11 pm

Its funny how some of the people who complain about the apparent lack of fitness in the squad are complaining that Wright has let Hughes go.
The same people who were slagging him off for being fat before he started playing centre half.
Good luck to Hughes. He deserves some better luck than he has had lately.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 pm

I enjoyed watching Liam play, and also it was a pleasant change to have a colourful character like him around the place.

I hope things go well for him in the future.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 pm

A genuine proper guy who has learned to talk about his feelings something most of my age never do. All the best in the future Liam fight your demons and you will come out stronger and wiser.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:44 pm

I've been complaining about the lack of fitness in the squad. It is a problem. I'm also sad that Liam Hughes has left because he was more than just a decent footballer. However, it's one thing carrying someone who's not fully fit in defence, it's another carrying quite a few players. It's clear we're not as sharp as some teams, and our fitness levels are certainly down from when MG was manager.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:46 am

Good luck to Liam whereever he ends up, he certainly opened my eyes about Mental Health, I have made no secret of the fact his story got me off my arse to get a referral to my local CMHT, which I now have an assessment for Diagnosis this Monday with the CMHT in Spennymoor.

I wish nothing but the best to Liam in his ongoing recovery and his battle with his personal problems

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:07 am

Good luck to the guy. From being jeered off after 3 games to becoming a bit of a cult hero takes some doing but he managed it. The timing looks a bit of an odd one with only 9 games to go so let's hope for his sake it is a bust up with Wright and not that his demons have re-appeared and he just can't see the season out.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:20 am

I wonder if he’s found a new club to play for? If not it seems the timing of this is a little strange, after all we have some important games coming up where he will be missed.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:27 am

We're about to hit the transfer deadline I think, which may account for the timing.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 am

Beano wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:
GPS thing?
Some of the players don't live in Darlington so need to use a GPS to find Blackwell Meadows and TW keeps changing the postcode of training ground, so people keep missing sessions ;)

Sorry to see Hughes go as I thought he had turned the corner & starting to make CB his own, best wishes for the future!

lifetime darlo fan

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:42 am

Signed for Gainsborough Trinity in the division below

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Excellent. Living in Lincolnshire I'll get to find out all about how he's doing and hear interviews on Radio Lincolnshire. I know some Trinity fans too. Have already e-mailed one of them.

http://www.gainsboroughtrinity.com/late ... paper.html

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Excellent. Living in Lincolnshire I'll get to find out all about how he's doing and hear interviews on Radio Lincolnshire. I know some Trinity fans too. Have already e-mailed one of them.

Looking at the pic they've used hes miraculously lost all his tattoos!! :lol:

magic1

Post by magic1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:32 pm

loan_star wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Excellent. Living in Lincolnshire I'll get to find out all about how he's doing and hear interviews on Radio Lincolnshire. I know some Trinity fans too. Have already e-mailed one of them.

Looking at the pic they've used hes miraculously lost all his tattoos!! :lol:
And he’s lost some weight!!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:26 pm

The fans are going to be in for a bit of a shock based on that photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 pm

I'm probably in a minority of one here but here's my take on things. He seemed like a good bloke with a lot of problems and I hope he gets sorted and I wish him well.

However, from a football point of view I can't say I am gutted like some have been saying. To be honest when I saw the pre-season games I was shocked that TW had signed someone so overweight, out of condition and unfit. It was no surprise to me that he couldn't play as the key midfield dynamo that we needed.

He's a good footballer and did well enough as a central defender but could not fulfill the vital midfield role needed. It meant we were short in a key position and this was supposed to be one of the crucial signings to help take us forward after the loss of players like Turnbull.

Like I said I wish him well but I also hope that TW reflects on the lessons he can learn when it comes to the recruitment process for key players.