Hereford v Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hereford v Darlington Match Thread

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:55 pm

We can't sign anyone on loan though. We're up to 5 now
Smith
Palmer
Kokolo
Turner
Saunders

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:18 pm

That is an especially poor result after taking a 2 goal lead into half time.

It’s so so annoying as we clearly have the quality to score and get into good positions but the way we collapse once we concede is horrific.

I am still not that concerned 7 points with 8 games to go...Leamington and Guiseleys form is equally bad if not worse than ours. It is in our hands but we cannot capitulate against teams in and around us...

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Well I've changed my mind again; after today's performance, after all he should have absorbed by now, after all the good will nearly half the voters put in him and after the fond memories of him as a player - his times up and its just a question of how to manage his going. Even if he can keep us up it's been a bad season. Bad because when he could get the players to play well it was good to see but too many second half horror shows have shagged it all up. What are his half time team talks like? Does he roll an enormous joint and pass it round? Maybe he should get them on amphetamines. It's unkind to mock but Quakers are looking over the edge - FC thrashed Telford at their place where we were well beat. On current form we're bound to go down. Even Wright can keep us up I now believe he should go in the summer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Wiseacre wrote:On current form we're bound to go down.
Form last 3 games / 5 games / 10 games
Darlington - 1 / 2 / 10
Guiseley - 0 / 2 / 5
Leamington - 1 / 1 / 6
FC United - 5 / 6 / 9
Ashton United - 0 / 3 / 10

We are not brilliant but no matter how you decide to cut ‘form’ we are still by no means the worst.

It’s not excusing today as minimum we needed away at a fellow struggler was a point and the manner of conceding 4 goals in the second half is a bad bad performance.

I am still not that worried as I think we have banked enough to scrape through but how we perform is as important as the points at the moment.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:10 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:On current form we're bound to go down.
Form last 3 games / 5 games / 10 games
Darlington - 1 / 2 / 10
Guiseley - 0 / 2 / 5
Leamington - 1 / 1 / 6
FC United - 5 / 6 / 9
Ashton United - 0 / 3 / 10

We are not brilliant but no matter how you decide to cut ‘form’ we are still by no means the worst.

It’s not excusing today as minimum we needed away at a fellow struggler was a point and the manner of conceding 4 goals in the second half is a bad bad performance.

I am still not that worried as I think we have banked enough to scrape through but how we perform is as important as the points at the moment.
Whilst stating the obvious, the games against those around us will define our fate.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 pm

feethams wrote:If being relegated means Wright leaves with some of the Midlands lads, and we end up signing a few more local players who play with their hearts on their sleeves then i'd take it. Give me a choice of Evo Stik football like Whitby away then i'd gladly take it over the current crap.
What's this weird obsession with 'local lads'? Very few local lads give a s*** about Darlington, that's why we are where we are today.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:28 pm

Beano wrote:Whilst stating the obvious, the games against those around us will define our fate.
Yeh 100% - which is what makes today all the more disappointing. At the same time other teams around us if we hit them 2-0 by half time they wouldn’t come back (it’s why they are where they are).

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Beano wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Wouldn't it be a bit ironic if Cartman, Syers, Turnbull, Brown and Gillies are plying their trade in National North next season and we're off to Marine.
Cartman and Syers are tearing it up for Farsley.

If Syers was still here he’d be one of the better players.
Cartman tearing it up? Last time I looked he had about 6 league goals.
He also looked out of his depth with us at this level when we were doing well.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:19 pm

loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:Wouldn't it be a bit ironic if Cartman, Syers, Turnbull, Brown and Gillies are plying their trade in National North next season and we're off to Marine.

He has more than 6 mate

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:35 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:

He has more than 6 mate

I said last time I checked. Now he has 8. Hardly tearing it up is he.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:52 pm

loan_star wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:

He has more than 6 mate

I said last time I checked. Now he has 8. Hardly tearing it up is he.
They’re top of the league and he is a key player.

I didn’t reference his efforts in our current league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Beano wrote:

Cartman, despite his cult status, was not good enough at this level. What he does at the level below has very little relevance.
Syers is another matter but we couldn't afford to keep him.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Hereford v Darlington Match Thread

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Even at 0-2 you felt that Hereford were still in it, they were awful first half and then just went up a slight notch and that was it.

Even first half Darlo were sitting so deep and just allowing them to shoot,cross for the big lad up front,get knock downs, shots from edge of the box, an accident waiting to happen.

We need an animal in midfield I feel, someone to lead and to break up play and give to the likes of Nicholson,there must be someone around surely?

The club needs to be challenging for a play off spot each season, if not floating support will just not bother and if we can lose to a poor team like Hereford like that I worry about next season I really do.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:16 pm

loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:

Cartman, despite his cult status, was not good enough at this level. What he does at the level below has very little relevance.
With Syers it does need pointing out that TW only started with him in one-third of the games he could have done. Syers was as frustrated as hell.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:18 pm

loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:

Games all about opinions :) but I think Cartman is just what we need.He creates so much for others with his movement and his never say die attitude rubs off on other players.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:51 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
loan_star wrote:
Beano wrote:

With Syers it does need pointing out that TW only started with him in one-third of the games he could have done. Syers was as frustrated as hell.
And, our best form under Wright was with Styche and Syers as our attacking threat.

I don’t think Wright knew how to get the best out of him.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 pm

I have missed the last 3 games and the next game I can get to is Stockport away, looks like I may be missing games at the right time :D

Watching the highlights looks like we created plenty of chances, scored a couple of excellent goals and as usual gave away sloppy goals. It is funny how many times we have given goals away shortly after half time after being in the lead, clearly something that needs to be sorted by the players and not just the manager but would love to be a fly on the wall in the half time talks.

A lot of fans were not happy with Maddison in goal, but wonder now if they realise that he may not have been the main issue, (and Maddison himself must be smiling inside given the amount of goals conceded in the last two games, with some of them looking saveable).

Noted that TW had said before the Telford game that if they did well at that game they would be given Thursday training day off. Appears they were given Thursday off anyway after a poor performance. Wonder if TW really needs to get tougher with the players he has, rather than being possibly a "mate" although realise that with a limited squad there is few options for him.

Also noted the difference in the vote on Tommy since that one defeat, where before it was close, just shows how quickly things can change even after one game.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:10 pm

I think it's TW's long-term record and failure to learn from mistakes over and over again that has led to most fans wanting a change, not just one game. Everyone wants him to succeed but most now believe he's not the right person to take the club forward.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 pm

I was there yesterday. First half closed with us in total control at 2-0 up. We come out for the second half and make a mediocre side look superb. What on earth does Wright tell them at half time? We stopped doing everything we did well in the first half and just seemed to sit back deeper and deeper and try to defend, the front three changed to a front one, the midfield seemed to vanish and the defence fell apart.

it was awful and one of the worst performances I have seen from a Darlo team for years. We lack any form of fight, any form of organisation, any form of leadership and a complete rejection of responsibility.

I was going to write more but I cant be arsed. No one can support Wright after that. The man needs to go. Now.

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:33 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
We need an animal in midfield I feel, someone to lead and to break up play and give to the likes of Nicholson,there must be someone around surely?

The club needs to be challenging for a play off spot each season, if not floating support will just not bother and if we can lose to a poor team like Hereford like that I worry about next season I really do.

Agreed.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 pm

50 years wrote:I have missed the last 3 games and the next game I can get to is Stockport away, looks like I may be missing games at the right time :D

Watching the highlights looks like we created plenty of chances, scored a couple of excellent goals and as usual gave away sloppy goals. It is funny how many times we have given goals away shortly after half time after being in the lead, clearly something that needs to be sorted by the players and not just the manager but would love to be a fly on the wall in the half time talks.

A lot of fans were not happy with Maddison in goal, but wonder now if they realise that he may not have been the main issue, (and Maddison himself must be smiling inside given the amount of goals conceded in the last two games, with some of them looking saveable).

Noted that TW had said before the Telford game that if they did well at that game they would be given Thursday training day off. Appears they were given Thursday off anyway after a poor performance. Wonder if TW really needs to get tougher with the players he has, rather than being possibly a "mate" although realise that with a limited squad there is few options for him.

Also noted the difference in the vote on Tommy since that one defeat, where before it was close, just shows how quickly things can change even after one game.

Turner made some good saves in the first half, and he kept the score down against telford. He's had zero protection

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:12 am

That is what I meant, it may not be down to the keeper, Turner or Madison but the protection they have, both have clearly made some good saves.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:24 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:The club needs to be challenging for a play off spot each season, if not floating support will just not bother and if we can lose to a poor team like Hereford like that I worry about next season I really do.
This is a completely unreal expectation. If floating support only comes when we are challenging for playoffs they we should just write them off as support - treat them as a bonus and no expectation.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 am

Just watched the highlights. 2 things Rob Purdie said after watching us once...

1. “They need to push Ainge up front for last few minutes and try something different.” Why on earth when a goal down does TW never do that?
2. His final comment, “They lack leaders and strength.”

Sums it up really! We really need a change or this will just carry on.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:53 am

Hughes had a bit of character about him, I think he would of been someone who could of helped steady the ship in the second half v Hereford.

Of course he’s gone now.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am

lo36789 wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:The club needs to be challenging for a play off spot each season, if not floating support will just not bother and if we can lose to a poor team like Hereford like that I worry about next season I really do.
This is a completely unreal expectation. If floating support only comes when we are challenging for playoffs they we should just write them off as support - treat them as a bonus and no expectation.
I honestly dont think its an unreal expectation to be aiming for 7th.

Maybe floating was a bad use of words, if I changed it to some supporters I think thats a realistic statement as sure crowds will go sub 1000 just hanging around mid table each season.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am

LoidLucan wrote:I think it's TW's long-term record and failure to learn from mistakes over and over again that has led to most fans wanting a change, not just one game. Everyone wants him to succeed but most now believe he's not the right person to take the club forward.
I think thats how I feel.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
I honestly dont think its an unreal expectation to be aiming for 7th.

Maybe floating was a bad use of words, if I changed it to some supporters I think thats a realistic statement as sure crowds will go sub 1000 just hanging around mid table each season.
You 'need' to perform in line with your budget each season that is kind of it. I think this season we are not performing to that but if our budget next season as a result is a bottom half / avoid relegation budget then we should be aiming to do that.

Assumption is that we will always have a top 7 budget.

I think reflecting on it our budget was probably 10th behind Alfreton, Brackley, Bradford Park Avenue, Chester, Kidderminster, Southport, Stockport, Spennymoor and York City.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:01 pm

But with the right signings you can always do better than your budget allows we just have not made the correct signings

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:02 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:I think it's TW's long-term record and failure to learn from mistakes over and over again that has led to most fans wanting a change, not just one game. Everyone wants him to succeed but most now believe he's not the right person to take the club forward.
I think thats how I feel.
Pretty much says it for me. It speaks well of him that so many fans have stuck by him thus far but it's not going to come right now. Same for White, he was a renowned defender in his day so it's disappointing how light we've been at the back. Most obvious of all is that the players have been ineffectively trained and lost too much faith in themselves. They deserve much better.