Drewe Broughton

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

yaccly
Team Supported: Darlington

Drewe Broughton

Post by yaccly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:21 am

Just watched a recording of Harrys Heroes: The Full English and former striker Drewe Broughton made a cameo appearance.
Was brought in to have a conversation with Paul Merson as his gambling issues were starting to take hold again.
Broughton was titled as ex-addict and addiction counsellor.
Quoting Wiki he played 6 games scoring one goal in 2011/12 Conference season. A massive list of former clubs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Lawman3

Re: Drewe Broughton

Post by Lawman3 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am

From recollection, it was when we were in administration and he helped us out by playing for nothing.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:17 am

i think hes into sports psychology now, helping players deal with the pressures and dark sides of being a footballer.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:27 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am
From recollection, it was when we were in administration and he helped us out by playing for nothing.
I think you're right. I remember that he put a lot of effort in, lots of movement - but he just didn't quite have enough of what it takes to make a difference.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:30 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:27 am
Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am
I think you're right. I remember that he put a lot of effort in, lots of movement - but he just didn't quite have enough of what it takes to make a difference.
Yes he helped us out and wasnt very good but despite the fact he was doing Craig Liddle and us a big favour he still got called worse than shite by some.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Probably because his performances were worse than shite.

Regardless that he was doing it on the cheap (we were paying his expenses, so I was told), it doesn't change the fact he was useless as a player. There was a reason he was playing for peanuts with a team in the National League relegation zone.

I've never seen the ball just bounce off someone so much. And Theoriginalfatcat, you must be thinking of someone else - he could hardly run, let alone get in a scoring position.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Regardless that he was doing it on the cheap (we were paying his expenses, so I was told), it doesn't change the fact he was useless as a player. There was a reason he was playing for peanuts with a team in the National League relegation zone.

I've never seen the ball just bounce off someone so much. And Theoriginalfatcat, you must be thinking of someone else - he could hardly run, let alone get in a scoring position.
This, right here ladies & gentlemen is gratitude.

For a club that was struggling to name a starting 11, let alone 16 in a squad - I am forever grateful for the likes of Drew Broughton & Neil Wainwright who come to the clubs aid when called upon/needed.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement, even by your standards gramps.

yaccly

Post by yaccly » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Broughton actually said that his particular issue was a sex addiction.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:29 pm

yaccly wrote:Broughton actually said that his particular issue was a sex addiction.
Like most men I suppose ...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

For a club that was struggling to name a starting 11, let alone 16 in a squad - I am forever grateful for the likes of Drew Broughton & Neil Wainwright who come to the clubs aid when called upon/needed.

:thumbup: Well said Andy.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I'm perfectly grateful he turned up to play for us. But it doesn't change the fact he was terrible.

The idea I have to change my assessment of his abilities because he was turning up to play on the cheap is nonsense.

I can be grateful he played for us and think he was terrible at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive.

So with all due respect Andy, you're the one being ridiculous here by demanding people ignore Brougton's lack of ability, just because he was happy to play for peanuts.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Is it the end of days? Are there 4 horsemen riding about town?
Gramps is correct in his summation.
I’m off to a dark room and going to hide under a table holding a tin of beans for when the apocalypse arrives :shock:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:26 pm

His performances were comically bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 am

m62exile wrote: