Darlington V Chester

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Chester

Post by D_F_C » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:51 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm
D_F_C wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:35 pm

I can't believe that the board can honestly sit and think that TW is the man for the job. There's not much in his favour at the minute.

his work at and involvement in setting up the Academy perhaps?
Can't be the only basis for managing the team. Plus someone else could take that on. It would need to be in the remit for a new manager

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:58 pm

50 years wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:36 am
My first game for a few weeks and I thought we certainly matched Chester who are on the fringes of the play off's, and actually dominated the second half without looking really dangerous up front although there keeper pulled a few excellent reaction saves off. Thought we missed Elliott in midfield but Palmer put in a shift for sure and Smith is missed at the back.
Reading the Chester fc match report shows they thought we were the better team I think as well.

Lot of people are feeling low at the moment even some die hard fans I know,(think that includes TW from watching the post match interview), but things still in our hands with 3 teams to play below us yet, just need some excitement (good wins at home), to cheer fans up, but confidence in the team seems low.

I have decided just to enjoy the rest of the season come what may and i am looking forward to a few pints in Stockport before Saturday's game and hopefully a bit of luck going our way, think I will have a bet on us winning 3-1 😀

Up the Quakers
I remarked on the inspiring level of faith and optimism before the match. This post - made after the match - shows the kind of fair-minded loyalty I think most of the fans feel, even when it gets stretched as it has. The club owes it's supporters much better and even though it's obviously trying to get us into smoother waters things never seem to pick up for more than one match at a time. Why can't the manager keep the kettle boiling? Standing on the touchline like a put upon captain with a mutinous crew doesn't help. There are rocks ahead and the rats are plundering the biscuits. Only Able Seaman Thommo looks likely to turn the tide and nobody could blame him if he jumped ship after this voyage.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:26 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:35 am
Whilst there is no doubt that TW needs to go for us to regain any sort of upward trajectory and get fans interested again the comment about player ins and outs that I’ve read in a few places baffles me somewhat.

He kept the exact same squad for a good 4/5 months having to deal with the departure of 1 or 2 due to financial restrictions. In my eyes he was too loyal to some under performers and actually keeping that core of player did nothing to foster any spirit or togetherness.

Actually bringing in the original batch of loan signing gave us a temporary lift with Smith, Palmer and particularly Nelson being instrumental in some better performances.

Since then a couple of players have moved on for personal reasons and with no money to bring anyone in he’s been restricted to signing players for favours for very much minimal, if any outlay - not too dissimilar to when Liddle signed Broughton et all. These 4 lads probably aren’t of the required standard but are all we can bring in.

I don’t think mixing the squad up can be blamed for any sort of downturn, we were crap with a settled squad and we’re still crap with what we have now

Divas, I've been one of the people banging on about the constant ins and outs of players.

Last night before I went to the match I stumbled over by chance the programme from Tommy's first home game in charge - and here is the squad that day, re Brackley.

Bartlett/Wilczynski/Marrs/Hunter/Colins/Burgess/Brown/Galbraith/Portas/Scott/Turnbull/Syers/Caton/Cartman/Beck/Gillies/Thompson/Saunders/
Wheatley/Vaulks. While Ferguson isn't there as he went a little before.

So out of 21 players only 3 remain (Thompson/Galbraith and Wheatley) and this isn't some squad from a decade ago, this is November 17.

And don't get me going about all the entrances and exits this season, my head is whizzing, I can't keep up with it all and it seems that most players are only here now, for a temporary stay. They never get the chance to bond or get to know each others style of play - this situation is obviously made worse by only training once or twice a week.

So, I'm not going off on one 'Quakerlad' stylie here!

I'm not wishing for the past to return or thinking of all our old players through rose tinted glasses, it's just that a successful football team can't be run in this way, and D.J. and T.W. are in some ways responsible for this situation. They can't control every situation but it's up to them to steady the ship.

As a fan, I want to turn up and see a nucleus of players that I know something about, that I can relate to, and I don't think this is too much to ask - I'm not expecting us to win every game or even be in the top seven - I just want some stability.

Grrrrrrrr.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:35 pm

That's a great post tofc. Made me think about working in a tight knit team doing a difficult and stressful job and how deflating it was when someone left. Brought it home about how tricky it must have been for the players with all the goings and comings and loans through the season. There's a horrible flat feeling and it seems to be please let's just get to the end and stay up. I'm missing Stockport for the first time ever and believe it or not I'm disappointed!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Stability comes at a cost, this season has not panned out for a number of reasons we all know what they are, we must regroup and come at it with renewed zest, and vitality next season either with or without Tommy,
Having said that I think Tommy should get 8 /10 games next season to see if he's learned anything from the past mistakes, he's only 35 years old and if he can turn it round after this disappointment of a season he might become the best manager we have had, but he's got to show his desire to move the club forward, and passion from the dugouts which is missing. Or am I delusional.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:22 pm

I think we need a clean break to give a new manager a full pre season. Changing managers mid season is rarely successful and I think Tommy has used up his chances now.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm

This is the time of year that clubs are extending contracts for their managers like Chris Hardy at Whitby who is about to sign a new one-year deal there after doing a very solid job on a limited budget in a football outpost.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm

onewayup wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 pm
Stability comes at a cost, this season has not panned out for a number of reasons we all know what they are, we must regroup and come at it with renewed zest, and vitality next season either with or without Tommy,
Having said that I think Tommy should get 8 /10 games next season to see if he's learned anything from the past mistakes, he's only 35 years old and if he can turn it round after this disappointment of a season he might become the best manager we have had, but he's got to show his desire to move the club forward, and passion from the dugouts which is missing. Or am I delusional.
He absolutely should not get 10 games next season. The level of apathy surrounding the club recently is similar to 09/10 and he is responsible for that.

We supplied him with a solid budget, which he subsequently squandered and now lands us in this situation. I can appreciate he's had major challenges, in terms of budget cuts, which earlier in the season I had greater sympathy for. The reality is many other managers would do better in the same situation.

If we want any momentum for next season he has to go. An incoming manager would also have a summer to build his own team.
Craig Liddle is God!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:32 pm

At York Gray was unpopular because of how they finished the season. He got a second chance to start this season anew but to me the damage had already been done- and an average start signalled the end for him - and I fear that the same thing could happen here at Darlo.

Tommy may not have lost the changing room but he's on the way to losing the fans - unless of course something big is due to come off to change things.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:36 pm

onewayup wrote:
Having said that I think Tommy should get 8 /10 games next season to see if he's learned anything from the past mistakes, ....
Possibly the worst approach in my view.

You either back him properly ie he's manager long term or you finish him at end of season, get new manager in so he has summer to sign his palyers and work with them.

To sack a manager early in season means a new manager comes in and has got to work with someone elses choice of players..so you end up writing next season off as well waiting for new manager to get a chance to build a squad.

also, by early next season, all decent players are already signed up by new clubs whereas in June they are probably available as free agents

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes Spen, that's what I was getting at. Your scenario describes pretty much what happened at York re Gray.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:47 pm

One thing that I feel is an issue, whether it is TW or another manager for next season is that 2 hours training twice a week, (and sometimes once a week), clearly is not enough to build up team spirit and playing formation / system. Other teams seem to be closer and focused and supportive of each other, you can see this at half time our subs seem to be not focused during the break and just appear to mess about and when the players come back out they just stand around individually waiting for the other team not encouraging each other or organising, which sometimes have caught us out in second half as other teams come out looking wound up and ready. That pre game time is crucial I believe and currently it is very limited.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:53 pm

It could be that the club is already planning to part ways with Tommy in the summer, but the people that are shortlisted are currently in jobs already at the business end of the season whether it be in managers or assistant managers jobs that want to see the season out before making a decision on what they do next season. We're currently a month away from the end of the season.

I don't expect for a second that Tommy will be the manager next season, but if we sacked him now who would we get? Or it could be that we already have irons in the fire but the said people may have said they are not prepared to make a decison until they have finished the season with the club they are currently at.

We just need to survive for the rest of the season, part ways, then appoint a new manager, hope that a new manager arriving will revitalise the dwindling support to back the club by buying season tickets etc so we have enough money to give a new manager a semi decent budget and give them the full summer to rebuild the squad as best they can and hope for an imporved season next season. The standard of manager we get next and the budget we can give him depend entirely on whether or not the club is backed financially by the support, boost the budget, season ticket sales etc etc. Commercial is growing and the academy will start to bring money in but ultimately the biggest revenue source is people through the gate and as that dwindles so do our already miniscule resources.

And as for Hardy at Whitby being mentioned again. He was approached, he turned up in a tracksuit to an interview thinking it was an informal chat, didn't make much of an effort and didn't seem that interested in the job so wasn't employed as has been said on numerous threads on here previously. It ain't happening. And no ex managers/players either.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:58 pm

onewayup wrote:
absolutely not as we will not have a team to support I would go so far as to let TW look after academy and put Ainge & Thommo in charge last few games to ensure we stay up!

OnTheTerraces

Post by OnTheTerraces » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 pm

onewayup wrote:
He needs firing at 5pm on 27th April 2019 or 6th April 2019 at 5pm if result fall our way between now and then.

This cant go on. His signings were useless and his tactics even worse.

I have faith in DJ to do the right thing and I am not worried that TW will be manager come pre season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:18 pm

Why does he need any more time to prove himself? He's been here 18 months - we've got a fairly good idea of what he's about. And it ain't impressive.

If DJ is planning on getting rid, I would think/hope TW has been informed and we're in the process of identifying and sounding out successors. There's a lot of work to be done with the squad so we can't let any new appointment drag on.

That is presuming TW does depart. If he doesn't, I'd be massively concerned.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm

I do have a worry about tomorrow that with the timing of it and Tommy there, it's actually a rallying cry to contribute financially towards the club, Tommy has made mistakes, he's determined to turn it around next season etc. Etc., so please give him your backing and let's pull together.

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:40 pm
I do have a worry about tomorrow that with the timing of it and Tommy there, it's actually a rallying cry to contribute financially towards the club, Tommy has made mistakes, he's determined to turn it around next season etc. Etc., so please give him your backing and let's pull together.
He may be determined to turn it around,he is a nice bloke but he has had his chance,can anyone say with hand on heart that he WILL improve next season.This is the third club he has not succeeded at.
His management and on field tactics leave a lot to be desired,his recruitment last summer was poor,so I would not expect much improvement next season if he stayed.
So I’m sorry to say we need a change in management for the good of our club and it’s future.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:51 pm

I agree, my post is what MIGHT be the angle taken tomorrow and the reason for holding the Netcafé. Someone on the Tin Shed is adamant he's already signed a new contract.

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:33 pm

OnTheTerraces wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:05 pm
onewayup wrote:
He needs firing at 5pm on 27th April 2019 or 6th April 2019 at 5pm if result fall our way between now and then.

This cant go on. His signings were useless and his tactics even worse.

I have faith in DJ to do the right thing and I am not worried that TW will be manager come pre season.

I’m not too sure you should be passing comments like that John???

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Everyone is disappointed with this season. However and I’ll probably get shot down for this he has had to sell Heaton, Styche, Syers etc with these in place it may have been a different season. The money received from sales hasn’t enabled him to buy more players rather it’s been used to pay off debt. Whether Tommy’s here or not budget is down next season so difficult for any manager to compete plus we may need to get someone to run the Academy. Will he be there next season my own view he will walk if he’s doesn’t pull the last few games around.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:02 pm

Getting away from the discussion on the ramifications of last night's result, and returning to the scene of the crime, I think that the most obvious thing about this and several other home games this season, is the capacity to go a goal down and have no ability to find a way back into the game. How many games have we lost to the odd goal at home? Last night we had a hat full of play makers, Thommo, Nicholson, Saunders, and Kneeshaw, all working hard to make a chance for a goal scorer that we done have and, for the most part this season, haven't had. They all chip in with goals but a team can't survive on the these scraps alone, and when they just can't find their muse and get their act together, like last night, you simply need that go to guy who can always dig you out of a hole with a goal or two. Since Styche and the short reign of Nelson the elephant in the room, and the reason we are where we are is we don't have an out and out goal scorer. Formations and managers may come and go but the art of putting the ball in the back of the net remains the same, and we have simply lacked someone of that calibre to be able to do that well enough for most of this season.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:36 pm

To (sort of) quote Philip Parsons from The Times, the relationship is now moribund. I like Tommy and really wish it'd worked out, but I don't even think Tony Le Mesmer could help him turn this ship around now.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 pm

I can't see any reason to carry on this experiment. To me, he has failed on his own terms, two seasons in a row. He inherited a decent squad - ok understandably he wanted to put his own mark on it, but for most, he made it worse. He's made flop big signings (Ainge & Hughes), squandered a decent budget... Sorry Tommy. Nice bloke, but i don't want him in charge next year.

A couple of points

1) Kneeshaw needs signing up for next year
2) That shite painted all over the field was amateurish and inexcusable. There's no need for it to be there.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:55 pm

H1987 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 pm
I can't see any reason to carry on this experiment. To me, he has failed on his own terms, two seasons in a row. He inherited a decent squad - ok understandably he wanted to put his own mark on it, but for most, he made it worse. He's made flop big signings (Ainge & Hughes), squandered a decent budget... Sorry Tommy. Nice bloke, but i don't want him in charge next year.

A couple of points

2) That shite painted all over the field was amateurish and inexcusable. There's no need for it to be there.
This is what concerns me, if we stick with Wright until the end of the season then current players contracts will be up and therefor expire before any new manager will have chance to review them. I fully agree with you, Kneeshaw looks a good player!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am

I didn't realise that something had been written on the pitch, what did it say as you couldn't make anything out from the pitch level?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am

The pitch mess was from a rugby club festival day on Saturday. Where certain areas were marked out.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 am

Ok I didn't realise, at least it wasn't somebody trying to send a message.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:31 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:52 pm

A couple of points

A mostly good post. But is there really any need for the final part. They held a charity women's rugby match based at boosting participation in rugby at all levels and raising money for the wooden spoon children's charity. The stuff painted onto the pitch takes a little time to wash away, as anyone who will have seen the Wembley pitch post NFL will atest to. It's hardly amateurish as you'd likely do more damage to the turf trying to get rid of it than just letting it wash away.

I know it doesn't suit the agenda, but sometimes can we not just step back and look at the bigger picture. The rugby club have held a successful childrens charity event
We should congratualte them on it. Support them in it and hopefully look to build relationships whereby we can have our own in the future.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 am

I wonder if H1987 viewed the match from the balcony? From where I was you could barely see the on pitch scribbles - which kind of illustrates how poor it is watching a game of football from ground level.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!