Another summer of change ahead

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Team Supported: Darlington

Another summer of change ahead

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:33 pm

So I am going to try and avoid the discussion around manager and just talk about players, although the two are intrinsically linked.

So I work out we currently have 15 players with a number of those contracts are up at the end of the season and some just not sure about.

Goalkeeper
Maddison - Clearly frozen out and heard rumours he has one year & two year contract so take your pick on the rumour.

Defenders
O'Hanlon - Contract up at end of season and clearly will be leaving.
Galbraith - Contract extension until 2020 has been completed.
Burn - Not sure but I would guess we gave him a 2 year contract. Has offered nothing and the manager clearly doesn't want to give him another chance currently.
Ainge - You would assume is on a good contract until 2020 as we paid a decent fee for him.
Trotman - Hoping he has another year but he has been with us nearly two and not sure if signed anything new. Rumours some clubs are sniffing around him as you would expect.

Midfielders
Wheatley - Signed a 2 year contract in 2018 so should be staying.
Elliott - Signed in 2018, not sure but hoping he has signed a 2 year contract.
Glover - Signed contract in 2018 for 2 years. I would hope he gets loaned out first half to give him game time.
Holness - Contract to end of season. Looks to have some promise, not the finished article but maybe worth offering something.
Bascome - Contract to end of season. Manager doesn't trust to play him now, so not sure what the benefit of offering something would be.

Forwards/Wingers
Thompson - Contract until 2020. Well he simply has to stay and possibly try and lock him down to another year.
Nicholson - Not sure if he signed a 2 year contract, hope he did. As our top scorer this season he has been a bright spark at times.
Henshall - Again not sure if he signed a 1 or 2 year contract, however has offered nothing in the 25 appearances this season.
Kneeshaw - Signed until end of the season. With no strikers at all for next season currently then could be worth tying him up. We certainly need some new strikers.

I think that leaves us with at the most these 11 of which 4 can't really make the team these days so 7 players left. Says to me a busy summer for the manager.

Maddison
Henshall
Burn
Glover

Trotman
Galbraith
Ainge
Thompson
Wheatley
Elliott
Nicholson

D_F_C

Re: Another summer of change ahead

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:56 pm

My opinion (obviously depending on contracts) would be:

Release:

Maddison - Has ability but had a chance but doesn't instill enough confidence.
Burn - not interested from what I hear
O'Hanlon - disappointed with him as he started so well for us
Henshall - not shown anything really

Unsure

Ainge - potentially keep as a CB, hasn't shown enough as a striker. Issues are that he's likely to be a massive earner and is the partnership of Ainge and Galbraith good enough?
Wheatley - had a disappointing season if honest. Thought it was great news when we got him to sign a new contract but hasn't been as good as expected
Glover - clearly has ability but are we just paying for potential at the mo and can we afford it
Bascome - no idea really, not seen him

Keep

Galbraith - could do with an experienced leader next to him
Trotman - one of our best players
Elliott - been pretty consistent all season
Holness - looked solid and has plenty of spirit. Worth keeping
Thompson - one of our best players
Nicholson - good player in the right formation
Kneeshaw - decent player, more to give

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm

I've not seen much of Kneeshaw but is a goal every ten games enough (same at Sacramento)? Despite all the moaning about Ainge his record is slightly better and he's been playing centre half! Holness, a midfielder, has one in four.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:33 pm
So I am going to try and avoid the discussion around manager and just talk about players, although the two are intrinsically linked.

So I work out we currently have 15 players with a number of those contracts are up at the end of the season and some just not sure about.

Goalkeeper
Maddison - Clearly frozen out and heard rumours he has one year & two year contract so take your pick on the rumour.

Defenders
Burn - Not sure but I would guess we gave him a 2 year contract. Has offered nothing and the manager clearly doesn't want to give him another chance currently.
Ainge - You would assume is on a good contract until 2020 as we paid a decent fee for him.
Trotman - Hoping he has another year but he has been with us nearly two and not sure if signed anything new. Rumours some clubs are sniffing around him as you would expect.

Midfielders
Glover - Signed contract in 2018 for 2 years. I would hope he gets loaned out first half to give him game time.
Holness - Contract to end of season. Looks to have some promise, not the finished article but maybe worth offering something.
Bascome - Contract to end of season. Manager doesn't trust to play him now, so not sure what the benefit of offering something would be.

Forwards/Wingers
Thompson - Contract until 2020. Well he simply has to stay and possibly try and lock him down to another year.
Nicholson - Not sure if he signed a 2 year contract, hope he did. As our top scorer this season he has been a bright spark at times.
Henshall - Again not sure if he signed a 1 or 2 year contract, however has offered nothing in the 25 appearances this season.
Kneeshaw - Signed until end of the season. With no strikers at all for next season currently then could be worth tying him up. We certainly need some new strikers.

I think that leaves us with at the most these 11 of which 4 can't really make the team these days so 7 players left. Says to me a busy summer for the manager.

Maddison
Henshall
Burn
Glover

Trotman
Galbraith
Ainge
Thompson
Wheatley
Elliott
Nicholson
I think Holness has signed until the end of next season

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I reckon we may see Heaton back in the summer, be good if that happens.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:10 pm

quakersfan wrote:I reckon we may see Heaton back in the summer, be good if that happens.
No chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Might be wrong but I think Wheatley has been playing with an injury for some time , hernia I think. He was one of the first names I used to look for on the team sheet at the start of the season, so if true he can get that sorted and back to the player he was and improve to the player he can be.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:58 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Goalkeeper

Defenders

Midfielders

Forwards/Wingers

Maddison
Henshall
Burn
Glover

Trotman
Galbraith
Ainge
Thompson
Wheatley
Elliott
Nicholson
For me, keep:

Trotman
Galbraith
Ainge
Thompson
Wheatley
Elliott
Nicholson
Kneeshaw
Holness
Glover (probably loan out)

Release if possible:

Burn
Maddison
O'Hanlon
Henshall

Jury out:

Bascombe (now we're safe, i'd expect to see a little bit of him, just to see what we are looking at)

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:28 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:28 pm
I reckon we may see Heaton back in the summer, be good if that happens.
Well, good for our defence, but not for his career. Hopefully, it has been a bit of a false start for him and someone can get it back on track for him. If it is DFC, then all the better for us, but think this is a very slim chance.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm

He has struggled to get into the Harriers side and it looks like the substantial appearance cash we were due when he set the Scot Premier alight aint gonna materialise.