Darlington V Bradford PA

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Bradford PA

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:16 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 pm
shawry wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:09 pm
loan_star wrote:
shawry wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:54 pm
grimsbyquaker wrote:Win on Monday and we could be up to 12th? Time for contract extensions for TW/AW. Get it sorted so they can begin planning for next season.
DFR said there was a rumour MG had ‘offered his services for next season’....hope that’s just idle speculation
Hope not or I'll be returning my season ticket when it arrives.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
We seem to have quite a few quitters amongst the fan base now, some quitting if Wright stays, some quitting if Gray returns. How about just support the team no matter who is the manager?
It's not the same, it's not MGs managerial ability, which hasn't exactly shone since he left us, it's about his behaviour, that should discount him from ever working for the club again.

If the club think it doesnt matter then that's up to them, but it matters to me, I'd rather see colin Todd back

Gray won’t be back whilst D.J is in charge. He (Gray) had became such a pain that D.J allowed him to break his contract, and was pleased to see the back of him.
Gray never “broke” his contract.

The amount of people that think his departure was underhand is staggering. Everything was all done above board.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:23 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:16 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
shawry wrote:
loan_star wrote:
shawry wrote:

We seem to have quite a few quitters amongst the fan base now, some quitting if Wright stays, some quitting if Gray returns. How about just support the team no matter who is the manager?
It's not the same, it's not MGs managerial ability, which hasn't exactly shone since he left us, it's about his behaviour, that should discount him from ever working for the club again.

If the club think it doesnt matter then that's up to them, but it matters to me, I'd rather see colin Todd back

Gray won’t be back whilst D.J is in charge. He (Gray) had became such a pain that D.J allowed him to break his contract, and was pleased to see the back of him.

The amount of people that think his departure was underhand is staggering. Everything was all done above board.
Is this a joke? We are talking about the situation where the under contract Martin Gray left DFC to go and manage York City the very next day?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:26 am

DJ was fully aware that Gray was going to York and, under the terms of Gray’s contract, we wouldn’t have been entitled to any compensation. I don’t see the issue, or would you have preferred Gray to stick around longer to work a notice period?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 am

Well I’ve never heard that take on it, and if true it makes for a strange kind of contract, whereby it can be terminated by one party (and one party only)with no kind of financial compensation. Are you sure you’ve got this right?

And no, we didn’t want Gray skulking around bringing everybody down. In fact I asked D.J. At a fans net cafe why he didn’t pursue York for money and he said something like it would have been too much hassle and he wanted Gray out there and then - which to me suggests that he could have taken action.

I think you’re wrong.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:41 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Well I’ve never heard that take on it, and if true it makes for a strange kind of contract, whereby it can be terminated by one party (and one party only)with no kind of financial compensation. Are you sure you’ve got this right?

And no, we didn’t want Gray skulking around bringing everybody down. In fact I asked D.J. At a fans net cafe why he didn’t pursue York for money and he said something like it would have been too much hassle and he wanted Gray out there and then - which to me suggests that he could have taken action.

I think you’re wrong.
He isn’t wrong, he is fully correct.

It is very normal in semi-professional football to have release clauses based on a few different scenarios, including opportunities in full-time football.

It is often the only way top players, such as Beck and Ferguson, will drop down knowing they will have the opportunity to go pro if available.

Management teams are no different.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am

So Gray had a contract that allowed him to leave the very next day? Really.....

This does not tie in with the answer that D.J. gave to me in a recent fans forum, I will see if I can find it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:40 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:So Gray had a contract that allowed him to leave the very next day? Really.....

This does not tie in with the answer that D.J. gave to me in a recent fans forum, I will see if I can find it.
I think you’re being very naive if you think that this was a sudden declaration that no one at the club knew about.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:18 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:03 am
So Gray had a contract that allowed him to leave the very next day? Really.....

Gray had a clause in his contract which stated that DFC would be entitled to compensation if he moved to a club in a higher division.

York approached DFC to speak to Gray, and then Gray handed his resignation in (as you are entitled to do in any job). There would have then been a notice period to work, but why would we want an unhappy manager sticking around and have to pay another months’ salary?

Please don’t forget that Gray had to go several months unpaid, and he would have also had the chance to get out of the contract as we would have been in breach of this.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 am

Probably fortunate to go in at half time level, but we played well in the second half.

But I came away frustrated more than anything - this league on the whole is so average and we got our summer recruitment all wrong. Holness has made a big difference - a bit of physicality and someone capable of winning the ball back. The player that Hughes possibly was expected to be. The defence looks better (although still far from impervious) with a more commanding CB in Ainge and a calm goalkeeper in Turner. Maybe if the signings of Burn and Maddison had worked out...

If yesterdays side + Styche up front had been here most of the season, we might not be not far off where we want to be. All hypotheticals of course, but it all goes back to, in hindsight, a pretty poor set of summer signings.

Will a late run of form at the end of the season be enough to save Wright's job in (blind?) hope that next season will finally be the time he learns how to put together a decent NLN side? I guess we will find out soon enough

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:27 am

I had a search through the net cafe archives. I couldn’t find my question but found an answer to someone else relating to the Gray issue, and Beano I do see your point.

It would seem that Gray had a period of notice he had to work through. D.J could have held him to that and told York that if they wanted him immediately they would have to pay a fee, which would probably have scuppered the deal but left us with Gray on “gardening leave” as Johnson puts it. The club obviously didn’t want this but my point still carries a little bit because we could have received some money if we were prepared to take a bit of a gamble. But re Gray’s contract I do see the points that have been pointed out above - however to me he still did the dirty on us and I would never want to see him back.

At least T.W. For all his faults, sticks to the remits of the job and doesn’t moan.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
shawry wrote:
loan_star wrote:
shawry wrote:

Ah it's the president of the Martin Gray fan club, back to defend his hero yet again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:35 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:27 am
I had a search through the net cafe archives. I couldn’t find my question but found an answer to someone else relating to the Gray issue, and Beano I do see your point.

It would seem that Gray had a period of notice he had to work through. D.J could have held him to that and told York that if they wanted him immediately they would have to pay a fee, which would probably have scuppered the deal but left us with Gray on “gardening leave” as Johnson puts it. The club obviously didn’t want this but my point still carries a little bit because we could have received some money if we were prepared to take a bit of a gamble. But re Gray’s contract I do see the points that have been pointed out above - however to me he still did the dirty on us and I would never want to see him back.

At least T.W. For all his faults, sticks to the remits of the job and doesn’t moan.
I don’t see how we would have been entitled to anything. His contract said we would only be entitled to compensation if he left for a club higher up.

The alternatives were to keep him and his backroom staff employed until their notices periods were up, which we couldn’t afford. Or ask York for money which they could have refused to pay, then we are left with an unhappy manager.

They did us a favour. Gray’s departure resulted us in restructuring the coaching staff and selling players for good money (Bartlett, Ferguson & Beck).

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 am

Spyman wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
shawry wrote:
loan_star wrote:

Ah it's the president of the Martin Gray fan club, back to defend his hero yet again!

Spyman with another patronising comment. Reminds me of why I don’t post much on here anymore.

Just stating the facts of the issue, but that doesn’t suit your dig.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:30 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
shawry wrote:

Spyman with another patronising comment. Reminds me of why I don’t post much on here anymore.

Just stating the facts of the issue, but that doesn’t suit your dig.
People have Rose tinted glasses on regarding the departure of MG like you said everything was above board.. People were peed off the way he left etc

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am

Beano wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:41 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Well I’ve never heard that take on it, and if true it makes for a strange kind of contract, whereby it can be terminated by one party (and one party only)with no kind of financial compensation. Are you sure you’ve got this right?

I think you’re wrong.

It is very normal in semi-professional football to have release clauses based on a few different scenarios, including opportunities in full-time football.
Release clauses aside, wasn't there some issue around the timing of the approach and how MG went about it as well? Aren’t clubs supposed to go through the other club’s chairman/board to get permission to speak to a manager? According to MG he was contacted by YCFC first and only then met Tempest and Johnston and tendered his resignation.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:55 am

TW for the first time in an interview mentioned about building for next season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:01 am

Gray acted badly whichever way you look at it. Before and after his quick departure.

The way in which he acted (regardless of the ins and outs of his contract) proves that the most important thing about managing a football club to Martin Gray - is............... Martin Gray.

Anyway, isn’t this just an unfounded internet rumour?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:06 am

Interesting that some solid physical presence in our midfield is reaping rewards. Some of us have been banging on about this for a long time and hopefully we'll take this strength into next season.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:19 am

biccynana wrote:
Beano wrote:

I think you’re wrong.

Release clauses aside, wasn't there some issue around the timing of the approach and how MG went about it as well? Aren’t clubs supposed to go through the other club’s chairman/board to get permission to speak to a manager? According to MG he was contacted by YCFC first and only then met Tempest and Johnston and tendered his resignation.
Could say the same about us and TW with Nuneaton. Yes we approached them initially, but clearly we were still speaking to Wright after our approach had been rejected.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Beano wrote:

I think you’re wrong.

Could say the same about us and TW with Nuneaton. Yes we approached them initially, but clearly we were still speaking to Wright after our approach had been rejected.
That's wright Gramps prime example about rose tinted glasses and some Darlo fans

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:24 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:46 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Beano wrote:

I think you’re wrong.

That's wright Gramps prime example about rose tinted glasses and some Darlo fans
Sorry, Harry, you've lost me. I made a point about MG, Gramps made a point about TW. Both of those statements were true. I'm not arguing Gramps' point about how TW ended up at DFC, I was criticising the manner in which MG left the club, so I'm not sure where the rose-tinted specs come in to it.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:14 am

biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
biccynana wrote:
Beano wrote:

Sorry, Harry, you've lost me. I made a point about MG, Gramps made a point about TW. Both of those statements were true. I'm not arguing Gramps' point about how TW ended up at DFC, I was criticising the manner in which MG left the club, so I'm not sure where the rose-tinted specs come in to it.
People think it were not ok to do what York did to what we did to get Wright as it were probably the same thing, BUT people still bang on about the MG situation and not ours with Nuneaton

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:13 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:14 am
biccynana wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
biccynana wrote: Release clauses aside, wasn't there some issue around the timing of the approach and how MG went about it as well? Aren’t clubs supposed to go through the other club’s chairman/board to get permission to speak to a manager? According to MG he was contacted by YCFC first and only then met Tempest and Johnston and tendered his resignation.
People think it were not ok to do what York did to what we did to get Wright as it were probably the same thing, BUT people still bang on about the MG situation and not ours with Nuneaton
Right, fine, I get that. It's just that the conversation had turned to MG's departure not TW's arrival.