Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Keep it simple, #TommyIn or #TommyOut for the 19/20 season?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 pm

#TommyIn
36
41%
#TommyOut
52
59%
 
Total votes: 88

Darlogramps
Posts: 5064
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:21 pm


Mister e wrote:I wonder if the people who are constantly calling for Wright's head ever consider the human cost of somebody losing their livelihood.
Darlington FC doesn't owe TW a living. If he's not doing a good job (and even his fanboys admit he's underperformed this season), then the club are perfectly entitled to get replace him. You don't keep a bad manager in place because you want to be kind to them. The club comes first. It's no different to any other workplace.
Mister e wrote: I wonder if your all bloody one hundred per cent perfect in your own field of employment and never ever make mistakes.
It's nothing to do with making mistakes. It's to do with not doing his job properly. If I make a mistake at work, I work out how to prevent it. Yet he has repeatedly made error after error in his 18 months here.

And if I fail to reach targets, then I can expect to lose my job. TW has massively failed to reach his target this season. He's also failed in elements of his job, like getting players to turn up for training. If any manager can't even get an employee to turn up, he'd be out.

TW is incredibly fortunate to still be in his job.
Mister e wrote: We're Darlington football club for god's sake not man city or Chelsea or Liverpool - yet there are times when some people sound like the spoilt brats who ring in to radio phone in shows whining on because one of the previously mentioned clubs had lost twice in a row for the one time that season.
Tedious exaggeration. The only people who use this line are TW's fanboys, so the point is irrelevant.
Mister e wrote: We're on a journey at the moment I for one believe it will get better but no club is entitled to promotion every season. Remember it's taken Jim Gannon and Kevin wilkin three years or so to build up their quality squads at Stockport and brackley.
Except we're about to lose half our team because they're loanees. So another rebuild in the summer, the third rebuild for TW since he took over. There is no sign of progression, just TW stumbling around trying in vain hope to find a successful formula.

And because of his poor recruitment in the summer, with a decent and competitive budget, it's understandable people don't trust him with another.

Given his failure this season, and his repeated under performance at this level, I fail to see any convincing argument for him staying. Even his supporters admit it's out of blind faith they want to keep him.









If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11856
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Spyman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:My own views on Wright are that I don't rate him as a manager and even if he somehow makes impressive summer signings with a reduced budget you just know we won't achieve anything anyway. Then again, we can't afford to achieve anything because success brings massively increased costs for a start. Getting the ground up to the next level (without full grant aid if we get promoted too soon), massively increased travel costs, massively increased full time budget - though the latter I think we could try and compete part time for a while in the National League. Anyway...

Might as well keep Wright and just bimble along lower mid table, hopefully his work on the academy will bear fruit for us long term, and hopefully the same with Morley trying to increase commercial income.

One thing you can say about Wright is despite his failings on the pitch, what he has going for him is that he works hard off it, and that's to his credit. He also seems to be able to work with whatever the club throws at him regarding budgets - yes he's had a good budget but at the same time he's dealt with mid season cuts (before anyone says it - it's irrelevant if the cuts were down to his poor performance) without too much fuss.
Yeh he's done a great job of knocking a couple of hundred off the gate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
coles
Posts: 310
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by coles » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm

We will reap what we sow, we need to build the club over a few seasons to get it ready for the league above. It’s already been decided that the budget for next season will be based around loan players in the squad so that makes life even harder.

Wholesale changes again in the summer will disrupt us again we have the nucleus of a good squad a few decent additions and some clever loan signing and we could be outsiders for the play offs.

If we do change the management what happens if the new team don’t get off to a good start do we start another poll, do we spit our dummies out and pull our cash on BTB or stop attending games.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:21 pm

And if I fail to reach targets, then I can expect to lose my job. TW has massively failed to reach his target this season. He's also failed in elements of his job, like getting players to turn up for training.

Except we're about to lose half our team because they're loanees. So another rebuild in the summer, the third rebuild for TW since he took over.
This training thing has been done to death, it was all to do with work commitments and injuries making it difficult to do proper preparation for a match.
As of the second point, the club has said using the loan market is the way forward so it will make no difference whether the manager is Wright or Jurgen Klopp, they will have to use the loan players in key areas of the squad meaning a rebuild every year.

real_darlo_85
Posts: 935
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:13 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:40 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:21 pm

And if I fail to reach targets, then I can expect to lose my job. TW has massively failed to reach his target this season. He's also failed in elements of his job, like getting players to turn up for training.

Except we're about to lose half our team because they're loanees. So another rebuild in the summer, the third rebuild for TW since he took over.
This training thing has been done to death, it was all to do with work commitments and injuries making it difficult to do proper preparation for a match.
As of the second point, the club has said using the loan market is the way forward so it will make no difference whether the manager is Wright or Jurgen Klopp, they will have to use the loan players in key areas of the squad meaning a rebuild every year.
Well why wasn't this thinking done last summer instead of a gung-ho approach with permanent signings, that failed and have subsequently left or are not in the plans now... because of mainly loan signings? Budget cuts and constraints brought on by bad management, could have been avoided with a more frugal approach and given us more financial flexibility. We all could see that outside of the core squad we were imbalanced and short on numbers back at the start of the season. The dilemma now is trusting that this will not happen again next season if those who wish to remain with TW get their way or do we make a clean break and place our trust in new management?
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlogramps
Posts: 5064
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:13 pm


loan_star wrote: This training thing has been done to death, it was all to do with work commitments and injuries making it difficult to do proper preparation for a match.
Except that's not what Wright said. He complained of players using every excuse under the sun not to turn up. We all listened to the interview and it was crystal clear what Wright was saying.
loan_star wrote: As of the second point, the club has said using the loan market is the way forward so it will make no difference whether the manager is Wright or Jurgen Klopp, they will have to use the loan players in key areas of the squad meaning a rebuild every year.
You've missed the point. We've got people saying off the back of this mini-run that we'll be challenging for the play-offs next season.

But the loanees will leave in a few weeks, meaning they'll need to be replaced. And given we don't know their replacements, it's impossible to say we'll be challenging for the play-offs.

That's all my point is - that's it's too early to be declaring us play-off contenders next year. We're not even done this season yet!

Also - why do you say Staunton should have been a masterstroke? He had never managed in the league and failed with the Republic of Ireland. What part of that suggested he should have been a masterstroke? It was clear to all but the deluded he was a bad appointment.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by 50 years » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 pm

If the club decides to change managers that is ok with me, and will live with whatever the decision is, but personally I would just love to see some continuity in the club, we can't afford to go up this year or next year. We need to go for organic growth where the cub can move ahead as we can afford it, grow young players, reduce costs, improve revenue - develop the young fan base and sell the club and advertise within the town, (Harry T C mentioned young fans walking through the park and not knowing we were there!) - these are the opportunities we need to build on.
Change for me is not what we need at this time, so while TW and AW have not delivered what we were hoping for, I am happy to build for the future and would keep them, ( think they have learned a lot, and the loanees for me have proved that they have the contacts and will use them better next year). I may be wrong but happy to back the club with more on the BTB if TW stays.

All the people wanting change, I wonder what they would say if that went wrong and we struggled, would they actually back the club with substantial additional money to cover the additional costs, or just moan, I don't know, (and I do understand why they are unhappy), but hope they would back the club.

Mister e
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Mister e » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Darlo gramps r.e Tommy Wright has made error after error were the difficult cup draws we get his fault were Liam Hughes's mental health struggles his fault was young Sam muggletons career threatening injury against Southport because of an incompetent referee missing an initial foul his fault - far from being one of Tommy Wright's fan boys has you put it I just want to see a bit of stability at the club in particular with the academy up and running. And spyman regarding the missing 200 fans they're probably the ones that come crawling from under the skirting board faster than woodworm every time we get a glory glory match claiming to be loyal Darlington fans and thinking they've got a divine right to be first in the queue for tickets.

onewayup
Posts: 1870
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by onewayup » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Whoever is in charge next season we as a fan owned club have a duty to support our club which only a short time ago looked very much like it was finished, It survived through sheer hard work and monies provided by you the fans ,for me I will back the budget and support the club anyway that I can, I have always been thankful to all those who saved my Saturday afternoon, every body is different and has different circumstances but I hope fans see what they could lose and decide to attend games and show their support for Darlington FC. It would be disastrous to get to the position of 2011/2012.

User avatar
grimsbyquaker
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington FC
Location: 53°22'N, 0°01'W

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by grimsbyquaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Yay from me. Yes he’s been naive at times and he’s made some mistakes. However I think the missing fans are down to a few folk realising that the steamroller years are over rather than TW himself. They’d still not be turning up if we’re top ten imo.
I agree with the stability notion. We finished last season underwhelmingly once we’d achieved safety. This time we’ve left it later to secure safety but are looking like finishing the season on a good run. A strong finish (maybe even getting up to 11th) would give us momentum (although it’d be like swallowing poison for some of the wags on The Tin Shed who think Wright and his signings are too southern). I say stop the uncertainty now by announcing extended contracts for TW/AW

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:13 pm
loan_star wrote: This training thing has been done to death, it was all to do with work commitments and injuries making it difficult to do proper preparation for a match.
Except that's not what Wright said. He complained of players using every excuse under the sun not to turn up. We all listened to the interview and it was crystal clear what Wright was saying.
loan_star wrote: As of the second point, the club has said using the loan market is the way forward so it will make no difference whether the manager is Wright or Jurgen Klopp, they will have to use the loan players in key areas of the squad meaning a rebuild every year.
You've missed the point. We've got people saying off the back of this mini-run that we'll be challenging for the play-offs next season.

But the loanees will leave in a few weeks, meaning they'll need to be replaced. And given we don't know their replacements, it's impossible to say we'll be challenging for the play-offs.

That's all my point is - that's it's too early to be declaring us play-off contenders next year. We're not even done this season yet!

Also - why do you say Staunton should have been a masterstroke? He had never managed in the league and failed with the Republic of Ireland. What part of that suggested he should have been a masterstroke? It was clear to all but the deluded he was a bad appointment.
I haven't said anything about challenging for the play offs next season, all I have said is that the club will be looking for long term loans next season rather than relying on permanent signings all the time.
As for Staunton, given the fact he had spent virtually all his career at the top level as well as managing internationally there was every chance he could have been a good appointment. However, as can happen, it didn't work out, just like Gary Neville couldn't hack it even though he talks like he knows it all. I don't recall many people complaining when he was appointed, although no doubt you did since you seem to think you can tell these things in advance.

User avatar
Geordie Quaker
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: See Username

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Geordie Quaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:27 pm

How this debate reminds me very much of the Brexit omnishambles:

1 It clearly splits the fanbase;

2 People keep wanting another vote on it;

3 Intelligence and reason seem primarily loaded on one side of the argument;

4 Robbo and I couldn't agree less.

How this differs very much from the Brexit debate:

1 It is those on the remain side who are bereft of any evidence base for their opinions and rely on blind faith that it'll come good.
Last edited by Geordie Quaker on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5709
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:34 pm

Either way is a risk, keeping Wright and getting someone else in new.

One risk has had 18 months having a go at it and continuously gets it wrong with the odd bright light. It's about trust now, clearly some are willing to trust Wright with another 250k budget, I just don't see any improvement it's one step forward and two steps back.

Pointless arguing about it really, we await an updated from the board which has to come at the end of the season, alongside a BTB request.

Darl-Zero
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Cheshire

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darl-Zero » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

This isn't clear cut for me but I'd say we should start next season with TW.
I think a lot of fans would look purely at attendance tables and assume that we should make the playoffs on that basis, but perhaps the real comparison is with other 'fan owned' clubs such as FC united.
I think Tommy has made some very good signings such as Styche and Trottman, and some good loan signings and has dealt with budget constraints.
On the down side I feel we lack consistency and that cutting edge up front some times, and I do think it would be better to have a locally based manager.
Not sure what happens with contract extensions but maybe some sort of points targets at certain stages of the season should be written in.
Mind you, knowing our luck he'll make a cracking start and some other club will grab him.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:27 pm
How this debate reminds me very much of the Brexit omnishambles:

1 It clearly splits the fanbase;

2 People keep wanting another vote on it;

3 Intelligence and reason seem primarily loaded on one side of the argument;

4 Robbo and I couldn't agree less.

How this differs very much from the Brexit debate:

1 It is those on the remain side who are bereft of any evidence base for their opinions and rely on blind faith that it'll come good.
So in other words, if they don’t agree with you then they are wrong.
Is it not blind faith that changing will make things better?
There are good points on both sides of the argument and it’s patronising of you to suggest only one side of the argument use intelligence and reason, a bit like your brexit stance.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1979
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:42 pm

In the programme on Saturday AW is representing the club at a golf day in June, so he'll be around.

User avatar
Geordie Quaker
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: See Username

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Geordie Quaker » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:58 pm
Geordie Quaker wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:27 pm
How this debate reminds me very much of the Brexit omnishambles:

1 It clearly splits the fanbase;

2 People keep wanting another vote on it;

3 Intelligence and reason seem primarily loaded on one side of the argument;

4 Robbo and I couldn't agree less.

How this differs very much from the Brexit debate:

1 It is those on the remain side who are bereft of any evidence base for their opinions and rely on blind faith that it'll come good.
So in other words, if they don’t agree with you then they are wrong.
Is it not blind faith that changing will make things better?
There are good points on both sides of the argument and it’s patronising of you to suggest only one side of the argument use intelligence and reason, a bit like your brexit stance.
CHOMP!

Then again, if my business was so closely intertwined with the club I'd be hesitant to speak critically of them too.

And suggesting a change would benefit us does involve an element of faith, yes. But also a substantial bank of evidence that shows TW is not improving as a manager. What have you got?

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm

You obviously don’t come on here often then, I said ages ago I thought Wright’s time was up. The difference is with me is that if he stays he will still have my support despite the fact he has plenty of faults that seem to keep popping up.
Mind you if we win our last two games we end up on the same points as last season on a reduced budget with key players sold, so technically an improvement on the financial side. Also the great work he has done for the academy, definitely a plus point on his part. An academy for the benefit of the club and not a private company.

Yarblockos
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:25 pm

If Wright stays on then he is here for the whole of next season. If he continues to struggle to get results we won't be able to get rid after 10 games, we simply can't afford it. If we are out of all cups by November again we are stuck with Wright. The club can only really afford to make changes when a manager's contract runs out.

Quakerlad
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Quakerlad » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 am

I cannot believe how some on here have forgotten what an absolutely dire season it has been.

Poor summer signings, baffling tactics, changing formations even3/4 times in same game, poor use of substitutes with an odd exception, signing loanees and not playing them, signing clearly unfit players, playing awful quality football at times, being outfought by physically stronger teams, the training debacle etc etc........

Am sure someone could spin things the other way, but in my view all of the above have contributed in the main to reducing attendances and a feeling of absolute apathy which hasn’t been felt for many years amongst fans.

I accept that it’s a harder decision when he is such a likeable guy, but No one in any industry would have their contracted renewed with similar performance levels, so please do the right thing for the club.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5064
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:33 am


loan_star wrote:
I haven't said anything about challenging for the play offs next season, all I have said is that the club will be looking for long term loans next season rather than relying on permanent signings all the time.
Crikey, this is like pulling teeth. I'll break it down because you're clearly struggling. Follow it step-by-step.

1. Several fans (PierremontQuaker + Coles among them) have brought up the idea of us challenging for the play-offs next season, based purely on this three game run.

2. My point is that is a ridiculous thing to say. Primarily because a good chunk of our squad is made up of loan players (and we don't know who the manager will be).

3. When those loan players depart, we will obviously need to know their replacements.

4. As we don't know their replacements yet, and won't for a while, it is therefore unbelievably stupid to be using this squad to justify any predictions for next season. Or indeed make any predictions about next season.

5. You've come along and said we will have to make long term loans next season. Right, OK, whatever. But that has no relevance to the point I'm making about predictions for next season.

Capiche? You've had a bit of a shocker here.
loan_star wrote: As for Staunton, given the fact he had spent virtually all his career at the top level as well as managing internationally there was every chance he could have been a good appointment. However, as can happen, it didn't work out, just like Gary Neville couldn't hack it even though he talks like he knows it all. I don't recall many people complaining when he was appointed, although no doubt you did since you seem to think you can tell these things in advance.
People who only looked at his playing career and the fact he was a Republic of Ireland manager were the ones who declared he'd be a success. Firstly, anyone with a brain knows a good player doesn't automatically make a good manager.

And when you scratched the surface and looked into his time at the Republic of Ireland, it was a really negative time and Irish fans were happy when he left, after a comparatively short length of time too.

So yes, I could make a reasonable prediction he was going to struggle. Most managers in fairness would have struggled with that squad that season, but it was clear very early on he wasn't cut out for it.

That's not me claiming any great clairvoyant powers. Just looking at his managerial career and coming to a conclusion based on that, and what Irish fans said of him.

You seemingly went in with blind faith, ignoring the evidence that was there in front of you.

An interesting point that's been raised about your business interests though. Would explain why you always side with the club in every discussion.




If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Beano
Posts: 1366
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:47 am

Quakerlad wrote:I cannot believe how some on here have forgotten what an absolutely dire season it has been.

Poor summer signings, baffling tactics, changing formations even3/4 times in same game, poor use of substitutes with an odd exception, signing loanees and not playing them, signing clearly unfit players, playing awful quality football at times, being outfought by physically stronger teams, the training debacle etc etc........

Am sure someone could spin things the other way, but in my view all of the above have contributed in the main to reducing attendances and a feeling of absolute apathy which hasn’t been felt for many years amongst fans.

I accept that it’s a harder decision when he is such a likeable guy, but No one in any industry would have their contracted renewed with similar performance levels, so please do the right thing for the club.
This.

We could win the final 5 games of the season but it doesn’t change what Quakerlad has nicely summarised.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlogramps
Posts: 5064
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am


Mister e wrote:Darlo gramps r.e Tommy Wright has made error after error were the difficult cup draws we get his fault were Liam Hughes's mental health struggles his fault was young Sam muggletons career threatening injury against Southport because of an incompetent referee missing an initial foul his fault
So these are the only three reasons we've had a bad season are they?

Well apart from TW's poor summer recruitment, TW's refusal to use the loan market until December, TW's bizarre tactics, team selections and substitutions. Or what about him allowing players to bunk training? Or us losing at home to the worst team in the league. Or our chronic inconsistency for 18 months.

As for the cup draws, we played Bradford PA and Telford at home. We have beaten both of them at home this season - or had you forgotten that?
Mister e wrote: Far from being one of Tommy Wright's fan boys has you put it I just want to see a bit of stability at the club in particular with the academy up and running.
I also want to see stability. But I believe we'll better achieve by changing our manager to someone who's actually competent and tactically astute. I don't see that TW will actually offer us stability, only a declining fanbase and yet more inconsistency. As for the academy, you are aware TW isn't the only person in the country who can run it, aren't you?
Mister e wrote: And spyman regarding the missing 200 fans they're probably the ones that come crawling from under the skirting board faster than woodworm every time we get a glory glory match claiming to be loyal Darlington fans and thinking they've got a divine right to be first in the queue for tickets.
An interesting tactic to try and win back supporters - calling them woodworm and gloryhunters. Stick that on a flyer, I'm sure it'll do the trick.

I mean, how very dare they choose how they spend their money and time on a Saturday. Perhaps to entice them back, we look at what we're producing each Saturday on the pitch, rather than calling them all the names under the sun.

Oh, and who's in charge of that? Who's overseen that decline in attendances? Who's serving up the product which is causing people to switch off? It's TW.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4507
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 am
I cannot believe how some on here have forgotten what an absolutely dire season it has been.

Poor summer signings, baffling tactics, changing formations even3/4 times in same game, poor use of substitutes with an odd exception, signing loanees and not playing them, signing clearly unfit players, playing awful quality football at times, being outfought by physically stronger teams, the training debacle etc etc........

Am sure someone could spin things the other way, but in my view all of the above have contributed in the main to reducing attendances and a feeling of absolute apathy which hasn’t been felt for many years amongst fans.

I accept that it’s a harder decision when he is such a likeable guy, but No one in any industry would have their contracted renewed with similar performance levels, so please do the right thing for the club.

Quakerlad, I have disagreed with you many times this season but I pretty much agree with all of this.

It’s sad but we do need to look at an upgrade, however I still maintain that some of the criticism T.W. has received has been over the top and nasty, and furthermore not all of the blame for this season lies at his door. For instance one of our home losses this season took place while we had a subs bench which consisted of entirely of children, meaning no subs were available. If I was a director of the club I would be embarrassed by this situation :thumbdown:
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
Geordie Quaker
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: See Username

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm
You obviously don’t come on here often then, I said ages ago I thought Wright’s time was up. The difference is with me is that if he stays he will still have my support despite the fact he has plenty of faults that seem to keep popping up.
Mind you if we win our last two games we end up on the same points as last season on a reduced budget with key players sold, so technically an improvement on the financial side. Also the great work he has done for the academy, definitely a plus point on his part. An academy for the benefit of the club and not a private company.
I'm no a daily visitor, no. But I've seen enough of your posts / tweets to say you are at the very least sympathetic towards TW. Even here your language of "his time is up" is pretty soft and sandwiched with your best attempt to play him up. What does that mean exactly? That you want him out or that you think enough people are against him to make his role untenable?

Why does he / anyone deserve your support even when he performs badly? That literally makes no sense.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:33 am
loan_star wrote:
I haven't said anything about challenging for the play offs next season, all I have said is that the club will be looking for long term loans next season rather than relying on permanent signings all the time.
Crikey, this is like pulling teeth. I'll break it down because you're clearly struggling. Follow it step-by-step.

1. Several fans (PierremontQuaker + Coles among them) have brought up the idea of us challenging for the play-offs next season, based purely on this three game run.

2. My point is that is a ridiculous thing to say. Primarily because a good chunk of our squad is made up of loan players (and we don't know who the manager will be).

3. When those loan players depart, we will obviously need to know their replacements.

4. As we don't know their replacements yet, and won't for a while, it is therefore unbelievably stupid to be using this squad to justify any predictions for next season. Or indeed make any predictions about next season.

5. You've come along and said we will have to make long term loans next season. Right, OK, whatever. But that has no relevance to the point I'm making about predictions for next season.

Capiche? You've had a bit of a shocker here.
loan_star wrote: As for Staunton, given the fact he had spent virtually all his career at the top level as well as managing internationally there was every chance he could have been a good appointment. However, as can happen, it didn't work out, just like Gary Neville couldn't hack it even though he talks like he knows it all. I don't recall many people complaining when he was appointed, although no doubt you did since you seem to think you can tell these things in advance.
People who only looked at his playing career and the fact he was a Republic of Ireland manager were the ones who declared he'd be a success. Firstly, anyone with a brain knows a good player doesn't automatically make a good manager.

And when you scratched the surface and looked into his time at the Republic of Ireland, it was a really negative time and Irish fans were happy when he left, after a comparatively short length of time too.

So yes, I could make a reasonable prediction he was going to struggle. Most managers in fairness would have struggled with that squad that season, but it was clear very early on he wasn't cut out for it.

That's not me claiming any great clairvoyant powers. Just looking at his managerial career and coming to a conclusion based on that, and what Irish fans said of him.

You seemingly went in with blind faith, ignoring the evidence that was there in front of you.

An interesting point that's been raised about your business interests though. Would explain why you always side with the club in every discussion.
Darlogramps back to his patronising best. You aimed your initial comment at me and at no point had i mentioned play offs for next season. what other people think is their business, have a pop at them for thinking play offs but don't accuse me of having the same view.

The loan player situation for next season has been well documented, we will be using the loan system to better effect no matter who is in charge. Wright has shown he can use the system well, once he was forced into a corner over it. If he is still in charge next season then he will have to do the same again.

As for Staunton, he was dropping several levels to manage us so could have been a good move. You presume that I backed the appointment, at the time I really didn't give a toss who was manager as the club was obviously in free fall. So you are wrong.

Since I do have business interests with the club I have regular contact with club officials so when people like yourself are ranting about sacking the manager, I knew the club couldn't afford to at the time. You should try that, talk to people in the know instead of making presumptions as usual.
If I think the club is acting correctly they will have my backing, if they make mistakes without good reason then I will be as critical as anyone.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:44 am

Geordie Quaker wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am
loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm
You obviously don’t come on here often then, I said ages ago I thought Wright’s time was up. The difference is with me is that if he stays he will still have my support despite the fact he has plenty of faults that seem to keep popping up.
Mind you if we win our last two games we end up on the same points as last season on a reduced budget with key players sold, so technically an improvement on the financial side. Also the great work he has done for the academy, definitely a plus point on his part. An academy for the benefit of the club and not a private company.
I'm no a daily visitor, no. But I've seen enough of your posts / tweets to say you are at the very least sympathetic towards TW. Even here your language of "his time is up" is pretty soft and sandwiched with your best attempt to play him up. What does that mean exactly? That you want him out or that you think enough people are against him to make his role untenable?

Why does he / anyone deserve your support even when he performs badly? That literally makes no sense.
Is it wrong to want the bloke to succeed and prove people wrong? I thought his time was up after the Nuneaton debacle but I choose to word in a way that shows the bloke a bit of respect rather than how quite a few people choose to word it, calling him every name under the sun. Some of your mates are particularly bad for this. And before you say it, so are some of mine.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5064
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:45 am

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 am
Darlogramps back to his patronising best. You aimed your initial comment at me and at no point had i mentioned play offs for next season. what other people think is their business, have a pop at them for thinking play offs but don't accuse me of having the same view.
I have to patronise you if you're choosing to be stupid. I have never said you made a comment about the play-offs - indeed I named the people who I was referring to. Pick out the exact quote where I said you specifically referred to the play-offs. Bet you can't, because it isn't there.

I've laid it out step-by-step and still you won't have it. You'd rather play dumb than admit you're wrong - for someone who can be intelligent you're having an absolute mare here.
loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 am
Since I do have business interests with the club I have regular contact with club officials so when people like yourself are ranting about sacking the manager, I knew the club couldn't afford to at the time. You should try that, talk to people in the know instead of making presumptions as usual.
If I think the club is acting correctly they will have my backing, if they make mistakes without good reason then I will be as critical as anyone.
The other more plausible explanation is you parrot the club's line because you don't want to damage your interests in the club. Which I don't have an issue with so long as you're open about it. But don't try and take me or anyone else for a fool that your interests have no impact on your view of the club. Would love to see some examples of you being "as critical as anyone".
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6245
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Stupid and dumb? Maybe in your view.
Plenty of people think you are a cock with your constant argumentative and patronising posts.
Like I say, try talking to people in the know instead of presuming stuff like you do, then your view of the club may be more sympathetic towards the situation we are in.

ReeceStyche’sManbun
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 pm

For me it’s time for him to go, he’s shown now that over his reign that he is at best a lower mid table manager with us and just in this division regardless, his summer recruitment was poor (apart from Nicholson and Elliott) which in all honesty surprised me as before then he pretty much got them all spot on apart from mills, it’s the fact that he had a very good competitive budget and has squandered it on poor signings.
I can see why people want him to stay because of the great work he’s done with the academy and the development of young players( he deserves some credit for the improvement of Saunders) and the fact that he did have cuts made into his budget and losing Styche and Syers but that was down to TW not getting the best out of the players, there is also the fact that many fans noticed that we needed a big presence in central midfield and a striker who will cause havoc with their physicality, as soon as we signed holness and started using Kit Elliot we have been much improved in my opinion.
On the whole thanks for your efforts Tommy but it’s just not worked out for him. Also Blyth are having cuts which Armstrong isn’t too happy about and may leave because of it, so there’s a candidate if we do get rid of TW.

Post Reply