Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Keep it simple, #TommyIn or #TommyOut for the 19/20 season?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:03 pm

#TommyIn
41%
#TommyOut
59%

Total votes: 88

loan_star
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Tommy Wright: 19/20 Season. Yay or Nay

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm

I wouldn’t touch Armstrong with a barge pole. Last thing we need is a manager who whinges about budgets.

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:01 pm

Now it's 52% v 48% we have a democracy so nothing can ever change he will have to stay and the moaners will just have to put up with what has been voted for .

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:15 pm

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm
I wouldn’t touch Armstrong with a barge pole. Last thing we need is a manager who whinges about budgets.
Surely Blyths budget for this season was less than ours in the first place? So assuming they cut their budget next season like us we’ll still have more than them. Also if it was him there would be the possibility of him Bringing Maguire, Buddle, Rivers, PJ etc too.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:22 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:15 pm
loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm
Surely Blyths budget for this season was less than ours in the first place? So assuming they cut their budget next season like us we’ll still have more than them. Also if it was him there would be the possibility of him Bringing Maguire, Buddle, Rivers, PJ etc too.
My worry is that if it doesn’t go the way he wants he will trot out the budget argument even if he’s getting more than he currently gets. It’s an easy get out for a manager who wants more money to spend.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm

loan_star wrote:Stupid and dumb? Maybe in your view.
Plenty of people think you are a cock with your constant argumentative and patronising posts.
I'm sure they do and that's absolutely fine by me.

I notice you haven't pointed out where I said you were commenting about the play-offs. Dodging my question altogether in fact.

So we'll take that as an admission you were wrong.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 pm
loan_star wrote:Stupid and dumb? Maybe in your view.
Plenty of people think you are a cock with your constant argumentative and patronising posts.
I'm sure they do and that's absolutely fine by me.

I notice you haven't pointed out where I said you were commenting about the play-offs. Dodging my question altogether in fact.

So we'll take that as an admission you were wrong.
Got better things to do than trawl through this on my phone just to satisfy you.
Even if I did you would probably try and twist things again.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:03 pm

I mean there's only three posts to go through. Let's face it, everyone can see you were wrong. You're just too weak to admit it. Like I said, you've had a stinker here.

You go back to cheerleading for the club, there's a good lad.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Nice 1-0 defeat to Guiseley who had, up until today, won only once in 20 before we rocked up. I think it's fair to say a few on here were due this reality check... :roll:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Tommy is very smart and knows a win today means nothing. If he wins the last game of the season it proves that we are on the up and he is "turning it around"

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 pm

If the decision on Wright/White future has already been made, whichever way, today's result and performance is irrelevant, but if not then it may be a timely reminder of what has too often been the norm this season, rather than the relative upturn of the last few results.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:03 pm
I mean there's only three posts to go through. Let's face it, everyone can see you were wrong. You're just too weak to admit it. Like I said, you've had a stinker here.

No I just can’t be arsed getting into another petty argument with you again. No matter what I say you will twist as per usual.
I’m certainly not cheerleading anything, another “fact” you have invented.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:45 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

No I just can’t be arsed getting into another petty argument with you again.
He says getting involved in a petty argument. The irony of that statement is delicious. And this is on you by the way. You could have shut this down any time you liked.

All you had to do was admit you were wrong, and you'd have clambered out of the hole you'd dug yourself. But instead, your precious ego has to get the last word so carry on an argument you claim you can't be bothered with.

As for cheerleading - you admit to having vested interests in the club. Hence you don't criticise them. Might as well turn up to the next game with pom-poms.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:45 pm
loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

No I just can’t be arsed getting into another petty argument with you again.
He says getting involved in a petty argument. The irony of that statement is delicious. And this is on you by the way. You could have shut this down any time you liked.

All you had to do was admit you were wrong, and you'd have clambered out of the hole you'd dug yourself. But instead, your precious ego has to get the last word so carry on an argument you claim you can't be bothered with.

As for cheerleading - you admit to having vested interests in the club. Hence you don't criticise them. Might as well turn up to the next game with pom-poms.
Since you claim you know who i am, as you have quoted what I have said on Twitter in the past, you obviously haven’t looked at my twitter posts today. If you read the thread properly you will have seen my reply earlier saying there were good points made by both sides in the Wright debate, just because I am prepared to accept whatever decision the club make, the people who know the finances in other words, that doesn’t make me a cheerleader. I’d rather be sympathetic towards the people who know what the club can and can’t afford to do than bitch on about them like some do just because they won’t put the finances under more pressure because some fans aren’t happy with the manager.

At least you admit it was a petty argument, yet another one you are involved with. It’s quite amusing that when these arguments happen it’s always you involved with various other posters. I tend to agree with the people who think you are a cock.

Also I won’t be at the next home game, some cheer leader I am :lol:

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:40 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:21 pm

And if I fail to reach targets, then I can expect to lose my job. TW has massively failed to reach his target this season. He's also failed in elements of his job, like getting players to turn up for training.

Except we're about to lose half our team because they're loanees. So another rebuild in the summer, the third rebuild for TW since he took over.
This training thing has been done to death, it was all to do with work commitments and injuries making it difficult to do proper preparation for a match.
As of the second point, the club has said using the loan market is the way forward so it will make no difference whether the manager is Wright or Jurgen Klopp, they will have to use the loan players in key areas of the squad meaning a rebuild every year.
And there you go, decided to put this to bed. First time I quoted you, i mentioned the training and also that any manager we have next season will be using the loan market.
It’s only since then that you brought up the play offs, not me. It had nothing to do with the original quote at all. I merely pointed out that I hadn’t mentioned play offs but you decide to go on like a tit as though I had missed a point you claimed to make, even though it wasn’t in the post I quoted And although it was an edited quote, even in your original post there was no mention of play offs.
Capiche?.You’ve had a bit of a shocker here. :lol:
Do I get an apology from you then? I doubt it.
Try B&Q, they sell extra long ladders for you to dig yourself out the hole you have landed yourself in.

And just in case you want to read the full version of the post I edited down, this is it....
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:21 pm
Mister e wrote:I wonder if the people who are constantly calling for Wright's head ever consider the human cost of somebody losing their livelihood.
Darlington FC doesn't owe TW a living. If he's not doing a good job (and even his fanboys admit he's underperformed this season), then the club are perfectly entitled to get replace him. You don't keep a bad manager in place because you want to be kind to them. The club comes first. It's no different to any other workplace.
Mister e wrote: I wonder if your all bloody one hundred per cent perfect in your own field of employment and never ever make mistakes.
It's nothing to do with making mistakes. It's to do with not doing his job properly. If I make a mistake at work, I work out how to prevent it. Yet he has repeatedly made error after error in his 18 months here.

And if I fail to reach targets, then I can expect to lose my job. TW has massively failed to reach his target this season. He's also failed in elements of his job, like getting players to turn up for training. If any manager can't even get an employee to turn up, he'd be out.

TW is incredibly fortunate to still be in his job.
Mister e wrote: We're Darlington football club for god's sake not man city or Chelsea or Liverpool - yet there are times when some people sound like the spoilt brats who ring in to radio phone in shows whining on because one of the previously mentioned clubs had lost twice in a row for the one time that season.
Tedious exaggeration. The only people who use this line are TW's fanboys, so the point is irrelevant.
Mister e wrote: We're on a journey at the moment I for one believe it will get better but no club is entitled to promotion every season. Remember it's taken Jim Gannon and Kevin wilkin three years or so to build up their quality squads at Stockport and brackley.
Except we're about to lose half our team because they're loanees. So another rebuild in the summer, the third rebuild for TW since he took over. There is no sign of progression, just TW stumbling around trying in vain hope to find a successful formula.

And because of his poor recruitment in the summer, with a decent and competitive budget, it's understandable people don't trust him with another.

Given his failure this season, and his repeated under performance at this level, I fail to see any convincing argument for him staying. Even his supporters admit it's out of blind faith they want to keep him.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:12 am

loan_star wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:14 pm
And there you go, decided to put this to bed. First time I quoted you, i mentioned the training and also that any manager we have next season will be using the loan market.
It’s only since then that you brought up the play offs, not me. It had nothing to do with the original quote at all. I merely pointed out that I hadn’t mentioned play offs but you decide to go on like a tit as though I had missed a point you claimed to make, even though it wasn’t in the post I quoted And although it was an edited quote, even in your original post there was no mention of play offs.
I mean this is an extraordinary meltdown. You've totally lost the plot. Literally none of this makes even sense. Image Image

When you've sobered up, read it back and you'll cringe at yourself. It's impossible to follow what you're arguing because you're totally devoid of logic, intelligence or coherence. Your argument genuinely doesn't make sense, you can't follow it. It's completely irrational.

You're actually backing up my points, but you don't even realise it. You claim you didn't bring up the play-offs. That is completely my whole point here!!! Are you cracking up or something?

I'm going to spell it out, step-by-step again, because your tiny brain is confused here. It's basically gone like this:

PierremontQuaker et al - I think we can challenge for the play-offs next season.
Me - PierremontQuaker et al are jumping the gun by talking about the play-offs next season. We're losing our loan players so don't know what the squad will be.
You - Any manager will need to use long-term loans.
Me - Fine but that's got nothing to do with my point on the play-offs.
You - I didn't talk about the play-offs.
Me - I know you didn't. I didn't say you were. But PierremontQuaker etc did. That's who I was referring to.
You - STOP SAYING I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PLAY-OFFS.
Me - I didn't say you were bu.....
You - STOP SAYING I'M TALKING ABOUT THE PLAY-OFFS.
Me - I'm not, and there's no quote here to show that.
You - HERE'S YOU TALKING ABOUT THE PLAY-OFFS.
Me - Yes, but I was referring to PierremontQuaker's point.
You - Waaaah stop twisting what I'm saying. Here's a quote of you not talking about the play-offs.

:crazy:

So one final time, for clarity - I have not said you were talking about the play-offs. I was talking about the play-offs, but in relation to PierremontQuaker, Coles et al. So I've no idea why you're claiming I was talking to you about it. Or why you think it's a big gotcha moment, when I was openly talking about it with other people anyway.

You still can't point out where I said you were talking about the play-offs. Provide me with an exact line.

However there is one area I was wrong - I said you were an intelligent bloke. On that I was hopelessly wrong. You're really not. You cannot take anyone disagreeing or standing up to you. And when you can't bully them into submission, you resort to faux-mockery. You don't have the intelligence to bring up counter-arguments, so have to call people names instead.
At least you admit it was a petty argument, yet another one you are involved with. It’s quite amusing that when these arguments happen it’s always you involved with various other posters. I tend to agree with the people who think you are a cock.
I tend to agree with the general principle of regarding namecalling as an indicator you've lost the argument. And given your complete meltdown here, it's pretty much confirmed you've lost.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:21 am

For the last time, I did not mention play offs, your post did not mention play offs, mister e who you quoted didn’t mention play offs. My point was any manager will have to use loans was made in regards to your point about squad rebuilding every close season so that will happen no matter what.
You brought up that others were on about the play offs based on 3 games. I said I wasn’t on about that and if others thought so then that’s up to them. Yet you still go on a rant about it even though I clarified the point for you.
You are the one who started acting like a cock as usual, trying to belittle anyone who doesn’t agree with you. You were the one that began with the patronising “let me spell this out for you since you appear thick” type of posts. Your usual style which turns people off reading these threads.
I notice you duck my point regarding my twitter posts criticising the team and management, where my actual name is there for everyone to see. My vested interest is that a very small fraction of the work I do is for the football club and I try to help them out as and when I can. Hardly a big thing where it’s intertwined like Geordie Quaker makes out. I’m no different from any other local business that does work for the club. Something that I built up from virtually nothing and provided jobs for quite a few people in the process. Yet you think I’m not intelligent you patronising c**t.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 am

Another thread highjacked by passive-aggressive, supercilious pedantry.

*sighs*
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:53 am
Another thread highjacked by passive-aggressive, supercilious pedantry.

*sighs*
Always the same. Zzzzzz

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:32 am

loan_star wrote:For the last time, I did not mention play offs
I. KNOW. THIS. IS. MY. ACTUAL. POINT.
loan_star wrote: My point was any manager will have to use loans was made in regards to your point about squad rebuilding every close season so that will happen no matter what.
You brought up that others were on about the play offs based on 3 games. I said I wasn’t on about that and if others thought so then that’s up to them.
See above. You're essentially quoting my posts back to me.
loan_star wrote: Yet you still go on a rant about it even though I clarified the point for you.
You are the one who started acting like a cock as usual, trying to belittle anyone who doesn’t agree with you. You were the one that began with the patronising “let me spell this out for you since you appear thick” type of posts. Your usual style which turns people off reading these threads.
Oh grow up. What turns people off is you and me squabbling like schoolgirls in the playground over nothing. You're every bit as responsible for this as me.

So pack in with your "Waaaah, miss he's being nasty to me" routine. Start accepting some responsibility and acting like an adult.

loan_star wrote: I notice you duck my point regarding my twitter posts criticising the team and management, where my actual name is there for everyone to see. My vested interest is that a very small fraction of the work I do is for the football club and I try to help them out as and when I can. Hardly a big thing where it’s intertwined like Geordie Quaker makes out. I’m no different from any other local business that does work for the club. Something that I built up from virtually nothing and provided jobs for quite a few people in the process. Yet you think I’m not intelligent you patronising c**t.
You reckon those tweets are criticism? You barely say anything remotely critical. You say it's a bad performance (which is hardly extraordinary, given it was, and everyone else is saying it was). There's a half-hearted suggestion you maybe could change your mind on TW but doubtless a win over Leamington will sway you back in behind him. Just reinforces the idea you don't want to upset the club.

As for the repeated namecalling, again it shows lack of intelligence. If that's all you can do, it doesn't reflect well on you at all. Be better than that.

I don't particularly want this nonsense to continue on publicly, so I'll just reply via DM if I've anything further to say.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 am

Lack of intelligence and respect?? Coming from you? Oooh me ribs!!!
And you can do one if you think I’m going to PM you where you can start being abusive in private so you can make people think your imaginary morals haven’t slipped.
You’ve tried that trick before and it ain’t going to work again.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am

I like Wright, and he ticks so many boxes of what we need from a manager, but unfortunately he seems incapable of putting out a consistently decent side at this level. The evidence from his previous spells at this level suggested as much, and his time here has further confirmed as much. I don't like calling for a manager to go, but I think it's time for him to go. It's only blind faith that could suggest that next season would be any better than this - we've been awful for the vast majority of the season, his record at this level is awful, and it's only going to be harder next year with a budget cut. This season and the BM situation has sucked all enjoyment out of match days for me. The majority of games I've attended this season have been tedious. I suppose out of blind faith I've already bought my season ticket for next season, trusting that the board make the right decision to make next season better. If he stays then of course I hope that he proves me wrong and the board correct. Next season has to be better than this, otherwise I imagine I will start voting with my feet and my wallet like many others have been doing.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am

I'm probably a 60-40 in favour of him AND Alan going. If we get someone new in, I'll back them, if we decide to give them another go, I'll back them. I won't spit my dummy out like some of our fans who think we have a godgiven right to be in the playoffs just because DJ stated it or we have a decent budget (how they know everyone elses budget is a mystery).

Thought that White would improve our defence but there's not much evidence of this. I can't say that Tommy doesn't work hard enough, but there are parts of his management that are lacking. I felt for our fans on Monday.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:32 am
loan_star wrote:For the last time, I did not mention play offs
I. KNOW. THIS. IS. MY. ACTUAL. POINT.
loan_star wrote: My point was any manager will have to use loans was made in regards to your point about squad rebuilding every close season so that will happen no matter what.
You brought up that others were on about the play offs based on 3 games. I said I wasn’t on about that and if others thought so then that’s up to them.
See above. You're essentially quoting my posts back to me.
loan_star wrote: Yet you still go on a rant about it even though I clarified the point for you.
Oh grow up. What turns people off is you and me squabbling like schoolgirls in the playground over nothing. You're every bit as responsible for this as me.

So pack in with your "Waaaah, miss he's being nasty to me" routine. Start accepting some responsibility and acting like an adult.

loan_star wrote: I notice you duck my point regarding my twitter posts criticising the team and management, where my actual name is there for everyone to see. My vested interest is that a very small fraction of the work I do is for the football club and I try to help them out as and when I can. Hardly a big thing where it’s intertwined like Geordie Quaker makes out. I’m no different from any other local business that does work for the club. Something that I built up from virtually nothing and provided jobs for quite a few people in the process. Yet you think I’m not intelligent you patronising c**t.
You reckon those tweets are criticism? You barely say anything remotely critical. You say it's a bad performance (which is hardly extraordinary, given it was, and everyone else is saying it was). There's a half-hearted suggestion you maybe could change your mind on TW but doubtless a win over Leamington will sway you back in behind him. Just reinforces the idea you don't want to upset the club.

As for the repeated namecalling, again it shows lack of intelligence. If that's all you can do, it doesn't reflect well on you at all. Be better than that.

I don't particularly want this nonsense to continue on publicly, so I'll just reply via DM if I've anything further to say.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
awwww. I was quite enjoying that....I've just gone and stocked up on more Butterkist.....

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:44 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am
I like Wright, and he ticks so many boxes of what we need from a manager, but unfortunately he seems incapable of putting out a consistently decent side at this level.
Which is unfortunately the key requirement of his job.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am
I'm probably a 60-40 in favour of him AND Alan going. If we get someone new in, I'll back them, if we decide to give them another go, I'll back them. I won't spit my dummy out like some of our fans who think we have a godgiven right to be in the playoffs just because DJ stated it or we have a decent budget (how they know everyone elses budget is a mystery).

Thought that White would improve our defence but there's not much evidence of this. I can't say that Tommy doesn't work hard enough, but there are parts of his management that are lacking. I felt for our fans on Monday.

The league apparently circulate details of what budgets clubs have early in the season after clubs have filed these with the League.

The summary circulated by the league is apparently anonymised

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:44 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:55 am
I like Wright, and he ticks so many boxes of what we need from a manager, but unfortunately he seems incapable of putting out a consistently decent side at this level.
Which is unfortunately the key requirement of his job.
Indeed - which is why I think the club needs a change

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Had to laugh at the advert which accompanied some news items about the Quakers as seen in Northern Echo email. Do they know something we don't?

Tuesday 23rd April 2019 View in browser
The Northern Echo
Football: Darlington

Wright: 'We didn’t set any kind of tempo and we were outfought'

LIVE: Guiseley v Darlington

Wright: 'Hopefully we can pick up spirits again see where it takes us'

Thompson goal sees Darlington make it three wins in a row

GET A
NEW JOB
Take the next step in your career with us.

Read more news ›

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:31 pm

I like Tommy but as a manager he just isn't good enough, I can't see him going anywhere this summer though, I'd like to think he can turn it around and build a squad that can perform, sadly I cant see it, it's been apparent since we lost some big characters in Turnbull, Brown etc this team has been lacking in any leaders, nothing's been done about it, also a Leon Scott sort of midfielder (I'm not saying Scott himself but an upgrade on him) that gets stuck in and does all the dirty work. A few leaders and some dirty players is exactly what he needs, to date he's failed to address this

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:52 pm

I of the opinion now that TW is only comfortable working with young players, or .non confrontational senior players

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pm

spen666 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:44 am

The league apparently circulate details of what budgets clubs have early in the season after clubs have filed these with the League.

The summary circulated by the league is apparently anonymised
I’ve heard this too from a board member at a different club.