Darlo -Diary .We need significant change.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo -Diary .We need significant change.

Post by poppyfield » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:41 am

This article sums up how I feel after this season.

This article https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport ... nt-change/
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan

Re: Darlo -Diary .We need significant change.

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 am

For me, everything is now pointing to the end of the road for TW. I expect us to hear something once Saturday is done and dusted. It's surely the only possible outcome for the wellbeing of the club.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 am

A good bit of writing.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:17 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 am
For me, everything is now pointing to the end of the road for TW. I expect us to hear something once Saturday is done and dusted. It's surely the only possible outcome for the wellbeing of the club.
If we are making a change, I hope it's as soon as possible after Saturday so that we can get a hypothetical new manager sorted as early as possible.

Something has to change - Monday was one of the most inept performances I've ever seen, and there was no real anger from anyone. Almost as if everyone has come to accept the normality of such awful performances. Which is not good for the club at all.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:22 am

Good journalism there - helping us to see what's difficult to face. I've waxed and waned over Tommy all season basically because he's like-able and he has turned out a few - too few - good performances but generally followed by real stinkers. He is popular and given any encouragement the fans will respond; the mood after the Boston game was buoyant and people were prepared for the management team to be there next season - then another rotten show against a very limited lot at Guisley. How does that happen? If there's going to be change it should be soon and I don't think White should stay because we've been so poor in defence. They've had long enough and it would be more of the same next season if they stayed.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:17 pm

If there is a change of manager and cost cutting we must change and re-focus on local players and local talent. Yes Trottman and Nicholson are good players and I am not saying do not sign players that fit within the budget outside the local area - but as a club are we doing enough to get in local talented players? We can offer younger players who have not made the grade at a higher level an opportunity to get back on the football ladder, an opportunity of "mens" football. Therefore we need a manager that has experience and is willing to go down that path. Yes I believe good work is being set up with the academy but can TW do all this from his home in the midlands?
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Early days I know, but when would our academy turn enough profit to warrant full/part time management as opposed to the arrangement we have with TW managing both 1st team and the academy?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Read it, fully agree with it.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:22 pm

al_quaker wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:49 am
If we are making a change, I hope it's as soon as possible after Saturday so that we can get a hypothetical new manager sorted as early as possible.
Agreed. DJ et al must know by now whether he wants TW in charge next season, so theoretically there's nothing stopping us announcing from any point now onwards.

If we are going to change manager, we could do with sorting it pretty quickly to allow the new manager time to get up and running.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:13 pm

I’ve heard the DFCSG board is pressing for change so as the owner I can’t see him being here after Saturday so not DJ’s shout really. If he is going best to let him go before Saturday for his own self respect no point stringing it out.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:17 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:13 pm
I’ve heard the DFCSG board is pressing for change so as the owner I can’t see him being here after Saturday so not DJ’s shout really. If he is going best to let him go before Saturday for his own self respect no point stringing it out.
It absolutely is DJ's shout. He's the chief executive who runs the club. DFCSG will of course have a say and that will be taken on board.

But the final decision will be taken by DJ and the rest of the board.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:17 pm
quakersfan wrote:
It absolutely is DJ's shout. He's the chief executive who runs the club. DFCSG will of course have a say and that will be taken on board.

Aren't DFCSG a Corporate Director therefore on the
Board? If so despite the fact DFCSG are the majority Shareholder I guess it is still one vote they have?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
quakersfan wrote:

It's the third time quakersfan has tried to play this card, not sure who they are trying to convince themselves or others - still trying to figure out why they continue to keep trying to say this almost like there is some ulterior motive.

Whilst we all agree that DFCSG should have input into the club and as the chairman of DFCSG is our representative on the DFC board, I would expect them to have an opinion and a say within a board meeting but making the decision without agreement of the rest of the board or at least the majority then we all know that's not the case.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:06 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
quakersfan wrote:

It's the third time quakersfan has tried to play this card, not sure who they are trying to convince themselves or others - still trying to figure out why they continue to keep trying to say this almost like there is some ulterior motive.

Whilst we all agree that DFCSG should have input into the club and as the chairman of DFCSG is our representative on the DFC board, I would expect them to have an opinion and a say within a board meeting but making the decision without agreement of the rest of the board or at least the majority then we all know that's not the case.
No ulterior motive just pointing out that as the majority shareholder/owner I’ve talked to one of the board members last Saturday and he indicated the majority would prefer a change in management, DJ & JW act on the board. yes they will have there own view but I reckon they will follow the SG view that’s all. One minute I’m for a tommy staying then think it might be a fresh start for him and the club if he departs. If that’s the case they need to get on with it and they can appoint someone new before the close season.

sue_donym

Post by sue_donym » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm

This stuff about buying 'quality local players' does my nut, as if there is a wealth of talent on our doorstep that we don't even look at because we're only interested in players from Telford.

Face facts. If a quality player born and bred in the North East becomes available there are five non league clubs within a 50 mile radius that can outbid us on wages without blinking an eye: Hartlepool, York, Spennymoor, South Shields and Gateshead (alright not sure what's happening with Gateshead now but certainly historically). Tempted to put Blyth in there but I accept we can probably match them and they're further away. There's nothing special about the club that is going to be attractive to a player above those. So effectively the only players we can get from round here are those that those clubs have not noticed/wanted. When someone decent and local turned up in Kneewshaw we snap him up.

And franky the midlands 'policy' has largrly been a success. Styche banged in a hatful and earnt us significant profit. Nicholson and Trotman are two of our best players. None of them would have come near the club if it wasn't for TW.

He's not perfect and there's plenty of stuff to critcise. But this not buying local isn't one of them. We're not Royston Vasey FC.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Wonder how Morpeth town's finances are these days also could maybe put Harrogate town into the equation.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:48 pm

I agree, we are possibly well down the list locally for tallent and need to be able to attract those that are not only intrested in money which is going to be difficult, but will be on areas like development and opportunities for advancement to clubs higher up the league, Jamie hardy academy and England C opportunities etc, which the club has demonstrated. Some of these I would expect that TW has had a hand in, and if there is a change of manager that is going to be an area that they will need to focus on. Also the ability to be "cheeky" when looking for loan players, (given the status of the club's we have loaned from this season).

Beano

Post by Beano » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:25 am

Mister e wrote:Wonder how Morpeth town's finances are these days also could maybe put Harrogate town into the equation.
Harrogate Town are owner by multi-millionaire Irving Weaver, manager Simon Weaver’s Dad, and have significantly invested with the hope of reaching the football league.

They’d likely end up self-sustainable if they got there as they generate a lot of revenue at their ground (albeit with their 4G pitch a big factor) and have a large catchment area. However, if they don’t make it, the townsfolk won’t come in their masses to watch non-league and you have to wonder how long Irving and company will give it.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:36 am

quakersfan wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 pm
No ulterior motive just pointing out that as the majority shareholder/owner I’ve talked to one of the board members last Saturday and he indicated the majority would prefer a change in management
I'm pretty sure that had a member of the DFCSG board told you this then it wasn't with the purpose of posting it publicly - unless of course they were just giving their opinion or preference in which case it would be quite incidental.

Ultimately it will be the board to put forward their recommendations and then DJ to actually decide based on the options presented.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 pm

With season ticket renewals apparently well down on last year (and BTB likely to be the same ) it is clear fans expect another season like the last if TW stays. Ultimately this will lead to a relegation level budget and less chance of staying up next time.
While there is no guarantee a new manager will do any better at least it would give fans hope and get more money in through BTB and ST sales.