Fitness levels

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Fitness levels

Post by Mister e » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:02 pm

I've just been scrolling through this seasons fixtures what I didn't realise is that with the exception of York city at home on boxing Day which was a Wednesday we have not won a single midweek game all season. We also seem to have problems on any occasion we seem to have back to back fixtures such has over the recent holiday period. Puzzling has aren't the likes of spennymoor semi professional has well and they seem to have no problems lifting themselves for back to back games. Do our players genuinely train twice a week are supporters right to fetch fitness levels into question - just a thought.

Vodka_Vic

Re: Fitness levels

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm

In a word -yes.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 am

I agree to, I thought with AW we would have had a team fit and a lot of strength building but we seem to have a team that is physically and mentally weak, then you realise that they most probibly have two hours twice a week, (and sometimes once a week if there is a mid week game or personal issues), therefore you need the individuals to focus on training as well mid week and not sure they all do that by the look of it. Also think we are short of characters in the team to help bond the team and lead on the pitch.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:36 am

50 years wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:01 am
I agree to, I thought with AW we would have had a team fit and a lot of strength building but we seem to have a team that is physically and mentally weak, then you realise that they most probibly have two hours twice a week, (and sometimes once a week if there is a mid week game or personal issues), therefore you need the individuals to focus on training as well mid week and not sure they all do that by the look of it. Also think we are short of characters in the team to help bond the team and lead on the pitch.
I agree with everything you say. One of the things that attracted me to AW joining TW as his assistant, was AW's rigorous fitness regime, which I thought would be of great benefit to the fitness of our players. Clearly this hasn't happened and in the close season this issue needs to be resolved, so that we have one of the fittest teams that isn't full-time in our league.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 am

It seems like such an easy thing to get right - tactics and technique to a certain extent can't be drilled in at this level but fitness surely should be.

There's probably a link between travelling time of players and fitness? I remember reading that Robert Snodgrass, when on loan at Aston Villa, was driving up from Essex for training and home games and said that it directly impacted his diet as he'd stop at service stations to eat and in turn this impacted his fitness and therefore his performances.

Think back a few seasons to when pretty much all of our squad was local. Pretty sure a lot of them went to the gym together and that probably helped push them along as well as build some spirit in the squad.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC