Wright has left the building

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5436
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Wright has left the building

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:00 pm


darlobaz791
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by darlobaz791 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:03 pm

Sad in many ways but inevitable in others. Let the speculation begin...

darlo reborn
Posts: 1294
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:07 pm

just got my email wont know who`s available till season finishes and the dust settles on most clubs

User avatar
grimsbyquaker
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington FC
Location: 53°22'N, 0°01'W

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by grimsbyquaker » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Good that AW is staying on

PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Alan White to stay on as assistant manager, an happy with that, Darlo thru and thru.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

tdk1
Posts: 1978
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by tdk1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:09 pm

As someone who has long felt Wright was the wrong man for the I think this is the right thing to happen, but I also think he deserves credit for his effort and conduct during this year, and I hope people give him a respectful send off tomorrow.

It'll be a bit weird, knowing he's going but still being in the dugout.

spen666
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by spen666 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:16 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:09 pm
Alan White to stay on as assistant manager, an happy with that, Darlo thru and thru.
Depends on what new manager wants surely?

If applicants are told they have to have AW as assistant, it may greatly reduce the field

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:17 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:09 pm
Alan White to stay on as assistant manager, an happy with that, Darlo thru and thru.
But also part of a drastically under performing management team.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

lifetime darlo fan
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by lifetime darlo fan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:18 pm

The right move from the club. Wrights leaves with my best wishes but I think this level of football is currently above him.

joejaques
Posts: 2658
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by joejaques » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Good luck Tommy, sorry it didn't work out as well as you or we would have hoped. Thanks for all your efforts. :roll:
Image

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:26 pm

BTB for next season won't be such a tough sell now.

I'd advise against setting positional targets though and keep the spiel more along the lines of "raise as much as possible for the new manager, new era, yada yada"
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Armstrong spotted speeding down the A1M South.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Darlogramps
Posts: 4646
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm

A good guy who I wish well but it just wasn't working out.

We underperformed this season and had been inconsistent for 18 months. That, combined with the falling attendances meant this decision needed to be taken.

And I think DJ and the board has handled this well. A swift decision that allows TW to leave with some dignity.

Now, who's next?




If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm
A good guy who I wish well but it just wasn't working out.

We underperformed this season and had been inconsistent for 18 months. That, combined with the falling attendances meant this decision needed to be taken.

And I think DJ and the board has handled this well. A swift decision that allows TW to leave with some dignity.

Now, who's next?
I dunno, but if they don't get your approval from day 1, they're fucked.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Darlogramps
Posts: 4646
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm
A good guy who I wish well but it just wasn't working out.

We underperformed this season and had been inconsistent for 18 months. That, combined with the falling attendances meant this decision needed to be taken.

And I think DJ and the board has handled this well. A swift decision that allows TW to leave with some dignity.

Now, who's next?
I dunno, but if they don't get your approval from day 1, they're fucked.
Come on now, I waited a whole three months with Wright....




If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlopartisan
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:48 pm

It’s a bit odd the manager getting sacked , then being in charge for the last game, why put the guy through that.

Beano
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Beano » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:52 pm

I don't think this means that White is necessarily to be retained by the new manager but is kept on to keep the academy, etc, fully functioning. When new appointments are made this may be reevaluated.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Really liked Tommy as a person, would love to have seen him succeed as he conducted himself with dignity and always gave honest interviews .Feel for him but these are the harsh realities of football and he is young enough to recover from this.Wishing him all the best and hope he signs off with a win tomorrow.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Beano
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Beano » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:53 pm

A shame, but the Wright decision has been made and it has been handled impeccably by DJ.

I hope he gets a decent send off tomorrow and will have my best wishes for the future.

Beano
Posts: 1312
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Beano » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:48 pm
It’s a bit odd the manager getting sacked , then being in charge for the last game, why put the guy through that.
Because the game is tomorrow and it alleviates all the tension and pressure on him.

He gets to finish his contract with dignity, say goodbye to fans and those at the club, as do they in return.

He will likely get a warm reception as opposed to a potential demand for his head.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2859
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:56 pm

TW did his best but ultimately this is in the best interests of the club. Even he admitted the past season had been horrible, frustrating and disappointing. At any club, change has to come when the overwhelming majority of fans lose faith and confidence in the manager to take the club forward.

Hopefully we can move forward with fresh impetus and we can lift the cloud of apathy that has overshadowed things. And this will give TW the chance to rebuild his own career after a tough time here in trying to build and maintain a consistent side. I wish him well and hope he finds something suitable in the game.

Now the difficult part for us. We'll need a thorough, rigorous recruitment process to identify the right man with the skills and background to take us forward and get some positivity generated around the club. It's also likely that a new manager will want to bring in his own No. 2 to start the major rebuilding job that is now required.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 pm

In recent interviews Tommy has said nothing about next year, whereas AW said in the last one that he needs to work on fitness for next year, so he knew he was staying. Interesting to know what the rationale and process was for keeping AW. Not saying it's a bad choice at all, just wondering if they were both interviewed and AW convinced them that he should be kept on.
Sad to see Tommy go from a personal point of view. He was very personable and a breath of fresh air after MG. The weekend in Eindhoven was a great weekend and something he organised. However, from a professional point of view, the right choice, especially given how much his budget was in the recent Netcafé.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 280
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:08 pm

I think he was told after the whistle at Guiseley. I said at the time he looked crestfallen. Wish him well for the future and as others have said, it’s for the good of the club.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by divas » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:02 pm
In recent interviews Tommy has said nothing about next year, whereas AW said in the last one that he needs to work on fitness for next year, so he knew he was staying. Interesting to know what the rationale and process was for keeping AW. Not saying it's a bad choice at all, just wondering if they were both interviewed and AW convinced them that he should be kept on.
Sad to see Tommy go from a personal point of view. He was very personable and a breath of fresh air after MG. The weekend in Eindhoven was a great weekend and something he organised. However, from a professional point of view, the right choice, especially given how much his budget was in the recent Netcafé.
Think you’re reading too much into AW’s comments tbh

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:14 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:56 pm
TW did his best but ultimately this is in the best interests of the club. Even he admitted the past season had been horrible, frustrating and disappointing. At any club, change has to come when the overwhelming majority of fans lose faith and confidence in the manager to take the club forward.

Hopefully we can move forward with fresh impetus and we can lift the cloud of apathy that has overshadowed things. And this will give TW the chance to rebuild his own career after a tough time here in trying to build and maintain a consistent side. I wish him well and hope he finds something suitable in the game.

Now the difficult part for us. We'll need a thorough, rigorous recruitment process to identify the right man with the skills and background to take us forward and get some positivity generated around the club. It's also likely that a new manager will want to bring in his own No. 2 to start the major rebuilding job that is now required.
Yeah. Wonder if whoever came in knew they had to take a bite of a s*** sandwhich and hope things would turn out well.

We just haven't won enough games this season and TW didn't seem to have a strategy to turn that around consistently.

Good luck for the future Tommy

Alfie
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Alfie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Hopefully the team can put on a decent show for him - while ultimately Wright is paying the price for poor recruitment, tactics, motivation I think some of the players have to take some responsibility for the position we are in. As usual,the manager carries the can and I'm sure Wright must realise the club had to act. Would have been easier if he had been a right miserable obnoxious b****** but had to be done.

Hope the fans give him a decent send off and everyone can get out of this with some dignity.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Alfie wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:28 pm
Hopefully the team can put on a decent show for him - while ultimately Wright is paying the price for poor recruitment, tactics, motivation I think some of the players have to take some responsibility for the position we are in. As usual,the manager carries the can and I'm sure Wright must realise the club had to act. Would have been easier if he had been a right miserable obnoxious b****** but had to be done.

Hope the fans give him a decent send off and everyone can get out of this with some dignity.
Agree

Yarblockos
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by Yarblockos » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:35 pm

The reality is that Wright isn't a "talented young manager" and its very likely he doesn't have "a bright future" in the game. But they were nice words anyway.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12900
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by divas » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:41 pm

He leaves the club in a decent state (certainly better than the former manager) and his legacy will be setting up the academy which will hopefully generate funds for the club for years to come and also maybe pick up a player or two once established. I don’t think the work that TW put into getting that off the ground is as appreciated as it should be. Ultimately results on the pitch weren’t good enough though and that’s what you live and die by as a manager.

Glad that it’s been left to the end of the season and also been announced before the last game - at the end of the day he’s a good guy who didn’t set out to fail and has acted with nothing but dignity and integrity throughout his time as manager. I think he’ll still be fondly remembered by many.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Wright has left the building

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:45 pm

divas wrote:He leaves the club in a decent state (certainly better than the former manager) and his legacy will be setting up the academy which will hopefully generate funds for the club for years to come and also maybe pick up a player or two once established. I don’t think the work that TW put into getting that off the ground is as appreciated as it should be. Ultimately results on the pitch weren’t good enough though and that’s what you live and die by as a manager.

Glad that it’s been left to the end of the season and also been announced before the last game - at the end of the day he’s a good guy who didn’t set out to fail and has acted with nothing but dignity and integrity throughout his time as manager. I think he’ll still be fondly remembered by many.
Totally agree

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Post Reply