Time for Gray to finish the job.....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Time for Gray to finish the job.....

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:15 am

divas wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:29 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:03 pm
Yeh I quite like Kelly as well - but he did reject York’s approaches before they got Watson.
Did he? I don’t recall that.
lol nope he didn’t. I got my wires crossed massively. I remembered speaking to Hyde about him turning down another job...it was FC United.

http://nonleaguedaily.com/hyde-united-b ... nited-job/

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:22 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:33 am
The DFCSG board would never have Gray back as I’ve said before they wanted Tommy out and they have got their wish, DJ just acts on their judgment. I’ve heard there’s a massively reduced budget coming so whoever takes over it’s going to be tough. May be we will see Chris Hardy or Daniel Green from Hyde he may be a good shout as he must be fed up travelling across the M62 daily. Whoever comes in it’s going to be tough.
For the fourth time, DJ doesn't just do what the DFCSG say. The board would have a discussion and a vote if required to make a decision.

Come clean why do you keep saying the same thing over and over when every time you get called out for it. I am interested to understand your motivation and what the final end game is for you?

Clearly you are in touch with a number of DFCSG board members and others from your comments, so go on say what you really want in the future, is it an investor and the DFCSG not to be controlling the club anymore, at last that would make sense with your constants points you make around DFCSG.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:41 pm

Super Les your the only one who seems to have an obsession with my posts, we all have our own views you just don’t agree with mine.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:41 pm
Super Les your the only one who seems to have an obsession with my posts, we all have our own views you just don’t agree with mine.
It's just when someone puts the same lie out 4 times and is called out every time, I wonder if they have an ulterior motive - it's normally the case.

What are your views on the two boards, structure of the club, how we should move forward as a club, I might actually agree with you. Just at the moment you are not putting that forward just making the same comment over and over again.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:36 pm

I just read it that some people think TW has been treated unfairly and unjustly and had been doing the best job that any manager could have done in difficult circumstances. They believe we have acted rashly, made a big mistake and we will never get anyone else who can do better in those difficult circumstances and they are lashing out at those they see as complicit in helping to bring this situation about.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm

I think a few people -myself included - are feeling a bit awkward about the critical and sometimes unkind things we posted about TW now that he's left. Are people now feeling they were wrong and it would be a good idea to have him back? I don't think so but let's be realistic about who we can get as the next manager and what they can do. A heroic failure in the play-offs would be great but is promotion realistic? I generally value Lloyd L's comments
so what about a real fan based appointment with Gramps as his partner? Why not - Clough and Taylor, Smith and Busby, it can be the beautiful game when two become one.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Or Stan and Ollie....

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:20 pm

quakersfan wrote:Super Les your the only one who seems to have an obsession with my posts, we all have our own views you just don’t agree with mine.
Super Les has a point.

You’re making the same unvalidated claim repeatedly.

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:27 am

I like the idea of limiting the already narrow criteria of "to manage this club you must have played for it first..." to the even narrower "to manage this club you must have managed it first..."

He did a great job between 2012-2017 for sure, but largely overspent, often disrespected the club/fans and left with zero class/dignity. Then failed massively at York.

No thanks.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Exactly beatroute66, 'No thanks' - however who's saying that Gray wants to be considered? It's just speculation.

Anyway, this talk of Gray/Wright got me thinking. While Wright was here, wasn't it good to have someone who was personable and media friendly in charge, it was like a breath of fresh air, as most football managers are surly quiet people who always seem to want to say as little as possible.

Here is a list of the Darlo managers since I've been going (1996)

Hodgson (still undecided about his football skills)
Bennett
Taylor
Tait (did okay considering the circumstances)
Penney
Todd
Staunton
Davey
Cooper (good manager)
Liddle (same as Tait, played a bad hand well)
Gray (did well, but burnt his bridges)
Wright

Obviously the main remit for a manager is to win matches but putting this to one side for a minute - if we take Hodgson, Taylor and Wright off this list then the remaining 9 wouldn't make for a very fun party!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:03 pm

No thank you.

next.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Dave Penney was obviously a good manager? Hodgson also made us competitive every single year - I think it's unfair to question his ability.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm

Have Hodgson back in a heart beat - part time might suit his circumstances - but probably pie in the sky.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm
Have Hodgson back in a heart beat - part time might suit his circumstances - but probably pie in the sky.
Christ almighty,
You’re full of great ideas.First Gray and then a bloke who’s been out of the game for donkeys years.
Move on FFS.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:20 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:14 pm
Really?!?

FFS.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:24 pm
Dave Penney was obviously a good manager? Hodgson also made us competitive every single year - I think it's unfair to question his ability.
No David Penney was not a good manager. He failed to get us promoted with a massive budget and then proved elsewhere how over-rated he was.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 pm
lo36789 wrote:
No David Penney was not a good manager. He failed to get us promoted with a massive budget and then proved elsewhere how over-rated he was.
I think lo was being sarcastic....

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
I disagree there he would of got us promoted if the rug wasn't pulled from under him I have no doubt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:14 am

Harry, was penny's situation any different from wrights in that budgets cut through lack of fans through the gate, ?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am

Originalfatcat, how can you question Hodgson for his football ability he was signed for liverpool by one of their best managers, Hodgson always tried to play the game from fullbacks through the midfielder to the forwards , it was good to watch, he also built good teams from nothing I thought. But that's just my opinion.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:30 am

onewayup wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am
Originalfatcat, how can you question Hodgson for his football ability he was signed for liverpool by one of their best managers, Hodgson always tried to play the game from fullbacks through the midfielder to the forwards , it was good to watch, he also built good teams from nothing I thought. But that's just my opinion.
Apart from in 99/00 when we had plenty!

Mind, that was a cracking team. And season

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:18 am

onewayup wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:24 am

I don't question his playing ability at all and as a manager I always liked him - it's just that when we had that really good team (Gabbiadini/Liddle/Heaney and all the rest) I really think he wasted a great opportunity for promotion and should have done better. He had the players and financial backing.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 am

onewayup wrote:Harry, was penny's situation any different from wrights in that budgets cut through lack of fans through the gate, ?
Well we didn't wind up in administration with a 10 point penalty under Wright for starters.

And Wright was never going to get us promoted, Penney had us challenging for automatic promotion before Houghton pulled the plug.

So yes, there's one or two slight differences there from your beloved TW.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:31 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
I disagree there he would of got us promoted if the rug wasn't pulled from under him I have no doubt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Agreed. I think people are being harsh on Penney. We lost in the play-offs with the last kick of a penalty shootout. It's about the finest margin you can get so saying Penney was a poor manager because of that is unfair.

It's impossible to prove, but I do think we were heading for promotion the following season before Houghton stuck us in administration (and then funded us until the end of the season anyway).

I agree that Penney hasn't done much since, but his spell here was a decent one in my opinion.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:59 am

Weren't we in serious contention for automatic promotion that season (07/08) too until an injury crisis up front?

I guess there is an argument as to whether Penney did a good job with the money available (same as Hodgson in 99/00 - and Wright this season too)

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:31 am

We were in serious promotion contention but horrific injuries caused us to have literally no one up front to put the ball in the net in the last 12 or so games - this caused us to drop out of the top 3 and into the play offs, where we lost to Rochdale.

The following season, IMO we were the best team in the league and would have won that league. We were in the top 3 with games in hand when Houghton plunged us into admin. Absolutely no doubt that Penney had built a promotion winning team over those two seasons (yes, at a cost) but it was taken away. People mention he didn't do much after leaving Darlo, but he did plenty before joining Darlo when he was at Doncaster. Time has made people forget that the guy had serious pedigree and was capable of doing what it said on the tin. I was a Penney fan.

Some people never liked Penney because he took over from Hodgy and they didn't agree with the Hodgy sacking - the wound was still raw.

Regarding Hodgy, he was a funny one for me. Whenever he had money (Reynolds 99/00 & Houghton the season he got sacked to make way for Penney) he didn't deliver success. In 99/00 we fell out of the top 3 and he wasn't going to deliver success in the season he got sacked either. When Penney took over, Hodgy had spent a large budget on crap like Vaisanen, James, Duke - the defence was a shambles and we lost 5-0 at home to Rochdale.

On the other hand, when we had a limited budget, that was where Hodgy was at his best. He always seemed to be able to find a player, often signed players that we had no right to sign, and got us several 8th place finishes. And also saved us from relegation in the 1st admin season.

So if it was a backs to the wall job or a tight ship, Hodgy was your man. If it was an open chequebook, he didn't seem to be able to get us over the line.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:31 am

So if it was a backs to the wall job or a tight ship, Hodgy was your man. If it was an open chequebook, he didn't seem to be able to get us over the line.
Yes that's probably a fair comment. I actually had a fleeting thought earlier this season. Hypothetically if we ended up in the bottom 3 and Wright and White were sacked, there would be nobody obvious to take over. In such a situation, I wondered if we'd be able to tempt Hodgson back to raise the fans morale and see if he could steer us safe. The things one thinks about when bored at work :lol:

beatroute66

Post by beatroute66 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:18 pm

For me, Penney is the best of the above list by some distance.

Granted he had backing and, pre-admin, a good budget, but he spent it exceptionally well and we were a joy to watch. What a squad. I miss those seasons we had under him terribly.

MG did a great job in completely different circumstances and Hodgy definitely had his moments, of course. The older I get and the more I look back, I struggle more and more to understand how the hell we didn't go up in 2000.

Long time gone... :shock:

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:32 pm

My recollection of the Penney era was that it was rather dour. However, he did have a top class striker in Abbott for whom we spent 100k which is ridiculous really. Penney's budget pretty much guaranteed a competitive team.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:49 pm

Hodgy had under 800,000, penny came in and was given over 1m by Houghton which went to just under 2m the next season so penny had by far the best opportunity to get promoted and still didn't. I think if hodgy had had the same amount it would have been a different ending for him, it was sotnick that was the problem for hodgy as soon as Houghton brought sotnick in hodgy,s day's were numbered. Sotnick who thought he was organ grinder.