Squad for Next Season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Darlofan97
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Squad for Next Season

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Sounds like Maddison is leaving from his latest tweet. Also seems like Bascome & Holness won’t be here next year too based on comments on Twitter from John Woolnough.

GK.Jonny Maddison (Rumoured to be leaving)

DF.Luke Trotman (Contracted until 2020)
DF.Simon Ainge (Contracted until 2020)
DF.Terry Galbraith (Contracted until 2020)
DF.Jonny Burn
DF.Ben O’Hanlon (Out of Contract)

MF.Joe Wheatley (Contracted until 2020)
MF.Tom Elliott
MF.Omar Holness (Rumoured to be leaving)
MF.Osagi Bascome (Rumoured to be leaving)
MF.Mitchell Glover (Contracted until 2020)
MF.Stephen Thompson (Contracted until 2020)
MF.Jordan Nicholson
MF.Alex Henshall

ST.Wilson Kneeshaw

Returing to Parent Clubs: Jake Turner (Bolton Wanderers), Will Smith (Barnsley), Ben Jackson (Huddersfield), Romal Palmer (Barnsley), Harvey Saunders (Fleetwood), Kit Elliott (Huddersfield)

I think we can certainly expect O’Hanlon to be leaving. Although not really bothered about this one as he hasn’t performed this season, and certainly didn’t after his move to Kidderminster fell through.

I would look at retaining Elliott, Nicholson & Kneeshaw, although a couple of those may be already under contract for next season.

Maddison, Burn & Henshall can all be released, although there are rumours at least one of those is under-contract for next season unfortunately.

I think if the expected departures go through then it would at least give a new manager the chance to sign 4/5 of their own players plus any loanees.

Busy summer ahead.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Burn definitely signed a 2 year deal, but Henshall and Maddison were 1 year so they will inevitably be leaving.

I think Elliott and Nicholson are 1 year, but maybe we have a 1 year option on them. If we don't have an option I would definitely expect Nicholson to end up elsewhere and perhaps Elliott.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

Darlofan97
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:04 pm
Burn definitely signed a 2 year deal, but Henshall and Maddison were 1 year so they will inevitably be leaving.

I think Elliott and Nicholson are 1 year, but maybe we have a 1 year option on them. If we don't have an option I would definitely expect Nicholson to end up elsewhere and perhaps Elliott.
Would be a shame to lose Nicholson for nothing, as 10-goal a season wingers/attacking midfielders don’t grow on trees at this level.

Beano
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Football is a game of options and this is especially true regarding Burn.

Tommy initially claimed he would build his team around him, but fell out with him behind the scenes big-style and we've barely seen him. I can't say he chronically underperformed as he simply hasn't played and looked okay, albeit nothing special, when he did. The next manager may get the best out of him and he must have something about him to justify his career before us.

I wouldn't write Burn off yet.

Beano
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm
Sounds like Maddison is leaving from his latest tweet. Also seems like Bascome & Holness won’t be here next year too based on comments on Twitter from John Woolnough.

GK.Jonny Maddison (Rumoured to be leaving)

DF.Luke Trotman (Contracted until 2020)
DF.Simon Ainge (Contracted until 2020)
DF.Terry Galbraith (Contracted until 2020)
DF.Jonny Burn
DF.Ben O’Hanlon (Out of Contract)

MF.Joe Wheatley (Contracted until 2020)
MF.Tom Elliott
MF.Omar Holness (Rumoured to be leaving)
MF.Osagi Bascome (Rumoured to be leaving)
MF.Mitchell Glover (Contracted until 2020)
MF.Stephen Thompson (Contracted until 2020)
MF.Jordan Nicholson
MF.Alex Henshall

ST.Wilson Kneeshaw

Maddison has said goodbye on Twitter, O'Hanlon is already as good as gone and Henshall has a one-year deal and won't be retained. Twitter also shows Bascome and Holness are moving out of John Woolnough's house so it is likely the last we've seen of them, although I would love Holness to be retained.

If Nicholson is only on a one year deal I can't imagine him sticking around given he will likely attract lucrative offers from a more local side as a free agent and would be a huge loss. There is has been rumours for the past few weeks that Spenny are trying to sign Thommo and are willing to pay a sizeable fee. Those two are irreplaceable in the current squad and are the two we have to do everything we can to retain.

Burn has a contract for next season and the next manager may fancy him. I'd also be keen for Tom Elliott to be retained - does he have a contract for next season? Kneeshaw was telling folk at the match on Saturday he is out for 6 months which doesn't sound good at all.

User avatar
divas
Posts: 12861
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by divas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:07 pm

Beano wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm
Football is a game of options and this is especially true regarding Burn.

Tommy initially claimed he would build his team around him, but fell out with him behind the scenes big-style and we've barely seen him. I can't say he chronically underperformed as he simply hasn't played and looked okay, albeit nothing special, when he did. The next manager may get the best out of him and he must have something about him to justify his career before us.

I wouldn't write Burn off yet.
Whilst it is true that a change in manager can give a player a new lease of life Burn played 14 times and was a liability before he was frozen out. He was also woeful at York before.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:25 pm

divas wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Beano wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:33 pm
Football is a game of options and this is especially true regarding Burn.

Tommy initially claimed he would build his team around him, but fell out with him behind the scenes big-style and we've barely seen him. I can't say he chronically underperformed as he simply hasn't played and looked okay, albeit nothing special, when he did. The next manager may get the best out of him and he must have something about him to justify his career before us.

I wouldn't write Burn off yet.
Whilst it is true that a change in manager can give a player a new lease of life Burn played 14 times and was a liability before he was frozen out. He was also woeful at York before.
Yet likened to as good as Josh Heaton by the management team when he signed.

onewayup
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by onewayup » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:37 pm

I would just like to see a settled team for next season, chopping and changing players, style, formation don't always work as we have found out. So settled 11 with subs that could add something is a starting point.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6052
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by loan_star » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm

I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1606
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm

On John Woolnough's twitter it had a picture of Omar and John saying farewell to them both and best of luck for the future. It looks like it means they're leaving the club, but could mean that they're leaving his house.

Quakers83
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm

loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.
I’d be pleased if Nicholson is on a 2 year deal. The same with Elliot. My only question would be that now TW has left, do they still want to be here? (Taking into consideration their travel etc, etc).

I’ve heard rumours that Holness is signed on until 2020, but John Woolnough’s Twitter post made me think otherwise.

I would also expect Trotman to be snapped up by a team higher in the pyramid.

I’m sure we’ll hear more soon, maybe the day of the awards night, or the day after?

quakersfan
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by quakersfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:28 pm

Can’t see Trotman hanging around he only came here because of Tommy, he will go albeit we will get a fee now.

Emdubya
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Emdubya » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.
I’d be pleased if Nicholson is on a 2 year deal. The same with Elliot. My only question would be that now TW has left, do they still want to be here? (Taking into consideration their travel etc, etc).

I’ve heard rumours that Holness is signed on until 2020, but John Woolnough’s Twitter post made me think otherwise.

I would also expect Trotman to be snapped up by a team higher in the pyramid.

I’m sure we’ll hear more soon, maybe the day of the awards night, or the day after?
Just listened to Nicholson’s PMI and his comments seemed to suggest he will be here next season.

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1684
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 pm

From what I heard, burn and Ainge were are both contracted to next season. I ‘think’ Nicholson and Elliott were both a year and we might have an option to extend for another but assume that’ll be down to the new manager to take up


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quakers83
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.
I’d be pleased if Nicholson is on a 2 year deal. The same with Elliot. My only question would be that now TW has left, do they still want to be here? (Taking into consideration their travel etc, etc).

I’ve heard rumours that Holness is signed on until 2020, but John Woolnough’s Twitter post made me think otherwise.

I would also expect Trotman to be snapped up by a team higher in the pyramid.

I’m sure we’ll hear more soon, maybe the day of the awards night, or the day after?
Just listened to Nicholson’s PMI and his comments seemed to suggest he will be here next season.
Tricky one, as when he spoke about next season it was in regards to his own personal targets, and when mentioned about us kicking on for next season he said “We’ll see what happens in the summer and we’ll take it from there”.

It doesn’t sound to me like it’s 100% that he’s staying.

super_les_mcjannet
Posts: 5387
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:51 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.
I’d be pleased if Nicholson is on a 2 year deal. The same with Elliot. My only question would be that now TW has left, do they still want to be here? (Taking into consideration their travel etc, etc).

I’ve heard rumours that Holness is signed on until 2020, but John Woolnough’s Twitter post made me think otherwise.

I would also expect Trotman to be snapped up by a team higher in the pyramid.

I’m sure we’ll hear more soon, maybe the day of the awards night, or the day after?
Just listened to Nicholson’s PMI and his comments seemed to suggest he will be here next season.
Tricky one, as when he spoke about next season it was in regards to his own personal targets, and when mentioned about us kicking on for next season he said “We’ll see what happens in the summer and we’ll take it from there”.

It doesn’t sound to me like it’s 100% that he’s staying.
The belief is he doesn't have a contract unless we extend, so without knowing who the new manager is not a lot else he can say really.

Quakers83
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:57 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:53 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:51 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.
I’d be pleased if Nicholson is on a 2 year deal. The same with Elliot. My only question would be that now TW has left, do they still want to be here? (Taking into consideration their travel etc, etc).

I’ve heard rumours that Holness is signed on until 2020, but John Woolnough’s Twitter post made me think otherwise.

I would also expect Trotman to be snapped up by a team higher in the pyramid.

I’m sure we’ll hear more soon, maybe the day of the awards night, or the day after?
Just listened to Nicholson’s PMI and his comments seemed to suggest he will be here next season.
Tricky one, as when he spoke about next season it was in regards to his own personal targets, and when mentioned about us kicking on for next season he said “We’ll see what happens in the summer and we’ll take it from there”.

It doesn’t sound to me like it’s 100% that he’s staying.
The belief is he doesn't have a contract unless we extend, so without knowing who the new manager is not a lot else he can say really.
Exactly my thoughts super_les.

Massive job at hand for the new manager really. Hopefully we can have our business done early to allow the new players to gel during pre-season.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11800
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:23 pm

O'Hanlon was a decent player at the start of last season, but then lost his way. I'd really like to see Holness stay with us and the way he tried to lift the crowd at our previous home game, would suggest to me that he has a lot of feeling for the club and it didn't look like a player that was about to leave the club.

Beano
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by Beano » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:46 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:53 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:51 pm
Emdubya wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:36 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:07 pm
loan_star wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm
I've heard contrasting rumours regarding Holness and Nicholson.
Suppose it depends who you listen to.
I’d be pleased if Nicholson is on a 2 year deal. The same with Elliot. My only question would be that now TW has left, do they still want to be here? (Taking into consideration their travel etc, etc).

I’ve heard rumours that Holness is signed on until 2020, but John Woolnough’s Twitter post made me think otherwise.

I would also expect Trotman to be snapped up by a team higher in the pyramid.

I’m sure we’ll hear more soon, maybe the day of the awards night, or the day after?
Just listened to Nicholson’s PMI and his comments seemed to suggest he will be here next season.
Tricky one, as when he spoke about next season it was in regards to his own personal targets, and when mentioned about us kicking on for next season he said “We’ll see what happens in the summer and we’ll take it from there”.

It doesn’t sound to me like it’s 100% that he’s staying.
The belief is he doesn't have a contract unless we extend, so without knowing who the new manager is not a lot else he can say really.
I can't imagine any incoming manager wouldn't want to extent his contract unless he is on mega money.

User avatar
feethams
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Squad for Next Season

Post by feethams » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Burn has not impressed in the slightest, still remember his efforts against Hartlepool and for someone who was supposed to be brought in with high expectations has serious fallen short.

Depending on what wage Maddison is on - he might be worth keeping as a back up.

I would imagine Ainge to be on high wages - if there's an opportunity to clear him off the books i'd take it.

Post Reply