Pre season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
quakersfan
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Pre season

Post by quakersfan » Thu May 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Heard today Tommy has left us with some tasty pre season games hopefully announced soon on official site as I’m on hols early July.

MCFCDarlo3
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City
Location: Manchester

Re: Pre season

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:25 pm

You tease.....any idea where? We were saying a good one could be Berwick,not far and a good day out.

Darlopartisan
Posts: 675
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu May 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Don’t want to put a damper on it but , we don’t seem to get the support for preseason games. Sunderland last year was a prime example. Not sure why I always enjoy going to them.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4701
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Don’t want to put a damper on it but , we don’t seem to get the support for preseason games. Sunderland last year was a prime example. Not sure why I always enjoy going to them.
I think mainly because they're seen as uncompetitive games largely against youth teams.

We do seem to always be playing Sunderland or Middlesbrough's U23s.

But given DJ's comments in the Netcafe, I'd expect us to have plenty of away matches this pre-season.





If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by dfc4me » Thu May 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Fairly sure we have a home friendly against Fleetwood as part of the Harvey Saunders deal.

biccynana
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by biccynana » Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:11 pm
Fairly sure we have a home friendly against Fleetwood as part of the Harvey Saunders deal.
Oooh, the glamour ;)

quakersfan
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by quakersfan » Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Wait until official confirmation on official DFC web site but one should be a very good attendance hopefully.

Vokuhila
Posts: 646
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlo

Re: Pre season

Post by Vokuhila » Thu May 02, 2019 9:51 pm

PSV? That would be a bit of a coup, even if it was just their U23s.

I've always thought it would be pretty cool if we hosted some sort of poor man's Emirates Cup involving us, 1. FC Mülheim-Styrum and Amiens SC (especially now they're in Ligue 1), but I doubt it'll ever happen :cry:
Image

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu May 02, 2019 10:19 pm

It's 209 miles from Manchester to Berwick. In my book that's far!

H1987
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by H1987 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:28 pm

If we play Sunderland again, or any of the bigger local sides, we need to give them a much bigger away allocation. Just give them most of the ground. We don't seem to generate the interest from home fans, so we might as well let them fill the place and pocket the proceedings.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2777
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 am

dfc4me wrote:Fairly sure we have a home friendly against Fleetwood as part of the Harvey Saunders deal.
What like the York game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


quakerste
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:07 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by quakerste » Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 pm

it wouldn't surprise me if we host PSV under 23's following our visit to them last pre season.

bigdavethemaddog
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Pre season

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 am

id heard a friendly with Hibs?

MCFCDarlo3
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City
Location: Manchester

Re: Pre season

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 am
id heard a friendly with Hibs?
We had Motherwell last season and although they brought a few down there was very few Darlo there so a waste of time money wise really. Sure it was a crap kick off time/day too.

Think should concentrate on away games, maybe 1 before season starts at BM.

MCFCDarlo3
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City
Location: Manchester

Re: Pre season

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:19 pm
It's 209 miles from Manchester to Berwick. In my book that's far!
Be worth it!

HoughtonQuaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by HoughtonQuaker » Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 am

Hibs away would be tremendous. Weekend in Edinburgh? What’s not to like?

bigdavethemaddog
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Pre season

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun May 05, 2019 2:55 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 am
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:10 am
id heard a friendly with Hibs?
We had Motherwell last season and although they brought a few down there was very few Darlo there so a waste of time money wise really. Sure it was a crap kick off time/day too.

Think should concentrate on away games, maybe 1 before season starts at BM.
dont forget Mr Heckingbottom is Hibs manager so he could be helping the club with a big payday?

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1625
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon May 06, 2019 12:41 pm

How does that work? Would we get some gate receipts? Would they pay expenses?

bigdavethemaddog
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Pre season

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am

any updates on this yet?

Alfie
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Re: Pre season

Post by Alfie » Tue May 21, 2019 12:13 pm

I think seeing pre-season games as a potential money maker doesn't work - at least for us. Aside from a possibility of a decent day out somewhere it should be all about preparing the team for the coming season, which might mean games against unattractive opposition in front of a few fans.

H1987
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by H1987 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Only way it's a money maker is to get a big club in at home, and just give them the majority of the tickets. We should've done it with Sunderland last year.

Fatty eats roadkill
Posts: 3610
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: On top of a 29 year old big chested woman

Re: Pre season

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue May 21, 2019 12:50 pm

Sunnerlund are struggling to sell their play off allocation.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

H1987
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by H1987 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Reckon there's a bit of a disconnect between that and them bringing a couple of thousand for a friendly with us like.... their away support is undoubtedly very good.

spen666
Posts: 1625
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by spen666 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:22 pm

H1987 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm
Only way it's a money maker is to get a big club in at home, and just give them the majority of the tickets. We should've done it with Sunderland last year.
The problem for all non league clubs these days is that big clubs send such weak teams to play friendlies against them.

The 1st team go abroad somewhere and the u23s or younger are sent out to play local games and they do not have the pull that the 1st team would.

the old days of seeing a team of star names playing a friendly at a non league club are sadly long since gone. Fans know this and are less likely to turn out for pre season friendlies.

banktopp
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Hereford

Re: Pre season

Post by banktopp » Tue May 21, 2019 2:18 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:22 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm
Only way it's a money maker is to get a big club in at home, and just give them the majority of the tickets. We should've done it with Sunderland last year.
The problem for all non league clubs these days is that big clubs send such weak teams to play friendlies against them.

The 1st team go abroad somewhere and the u23s or younger are sent out to play local games and they do not have the pull that the 1st team would.

the old days of seeing a team of star names playing a friendly at a non league club are sadly long since gone. Fans know this and are less likely to turn out for pre season friendlies.
What about the legends game last year ? Lots of star names, admittedly all past it.
Highlight of the season before it had even started, all down hill after that.
Very confident we will do better this season.

H1987
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by H1987 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:22 pm
H1987 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm
Only way it's a money maker is to get a big club in at home, and just give them the majority of the tickets. We should've done it with Sunderland last year.
The problem for all non league clubs these days is that big clubs send such weak teams to play friendlies against them.

The 1st team go abroad somewhere and the u23s or younger are sent out to play local games and they do not have the pull that the 1st team would.

the old days of seeing a team of star names playing a friendly at a non league club are sadly long since gone. Fans know this and are less likely to turn out for pre season friendlies.
We played Sunderlands first team last year. Just for whatever reason, none of our fans turned up. Sunderland brought a fair following, but we only gave them them open end and a few seats. I'd probably give them all but the Tinshed if we do it again. Or make the Tinshed home fans only, but just mix the rest.

darlo reborn
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:41 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Pre season

Post by darlo reborn » Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm

I never get to any friendlys as I`m usually on holiday most of July and come back beginning of August just in time for season kickoff

bigdavethemaddog
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Pre season

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed May 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Richmond Town Saturday 20th July 2pm kick-off

Post Reply