Football league original members

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Football league original members

Post by Mister e » Fri May 03, 2019 3:11 am

We could be saying goodbye to two of them on Saturday in mitigating circumstances notts county will cease to be the oldest football league club if they fail to better Macclesfield town's result handing the mantle over to Stoke city. What is more worrying though is that Bolton Wanderers are on the brink of extinction through the actions of yet another dubious owner and his failure to sell the club. Some Bolton fans are saying they sold their soul when leaving burden park. Ring any bells with our fan base. Poor nat lofthouse must be turning in his grave at the current mess. Long may Darlington FC remain supporter owned we may not be the richest club in the country but we're certainly not in the mess some of our one time rivals have found themselves in recently.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Football league original members

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am

I'm sorry for Notts Co, don't know how they will manage in the National League, as clearly their ground is going to be a drain on their resources. No sympathy for Bolton I'm afraid. They have been clearly living above their means for a good while now and they have been let down by some poor owners for a while now.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:39 am
No sympathy for Bolton I'm afraid.
Yes, Pete, we get it. You've been banging on about it for a while now, in several threads.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
I'm sorry for Notts Co, don't know how they will manage in the National League, as clearly their ground is going to be a drain on their resources. No sympathy for Bolton I'm afraid. They have been clearly living above their means for a good while now and they have been let down by some poor owners for a while now.
Notts County have also been living beyond their means for a while - they reported losses of £35k a week in their last set of accounts. We lived beyond our means for a good while before our demise too

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

biccynana wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Yes, Pete, we get it. You've been banging on about it for a while now, in several threads. To want a football club to go bust, for thousands of fans to lose their team, because one person you used to know supports them is, to be blunt, pathetic.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Yes, Pete, we get it. You've been banging on about it for a while now, in several threads. To want a football club to go bust, for thousands of fans to lose their team, because one person you used to know supports them is, to be blunt, pathetic.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri May 03, 2019 12:28 pm

biccynana wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
yes biccynana we get it lol :lol:

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:28 pm
biccynana wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
yes biccynana we get it lol :lol:
:D
Yeah, sorry about that. A perfect storm of Friday morning and fat fingers.

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Fri May 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Without trying to stir the hornets nest...

Whats is Petes problem with Bolton, did he get a bad pint and pie down there once that landed him with a bad case of the shits

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri May 03, 2019 1:37 pm

murtonquaker wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:48 pm
Without trying to stir the hornets nest...

Whats is Petes problem with Bolton, did he get a bad pint and pie down there once that landed him with a bad case of the shits

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Something about someone he used to know was a Darlo fan then became a Bolton fan and now they're no longer fwends.

I think it might have happened at playtime.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Pete had s brief fling with Sara Cox - when Pete expressed a slight disliking to the Chemical Brothers 2nd LP "Dig Your Own Hole" she told him in her strong Lanky accent to gerroff....
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri May 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Bolton Wanderers are definitely on the brink of extinction now the football league have cancelled the game with Brentford next week awarding the game to the Londoners 1 0 and the three points. Very unlikely I know but wouldn't it be fantastic if we could sign goalkeeper Jake turner back from all the carnage.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 03, 2019 10:38 pm

The game was cancelled the other weekend, the FA simply awarded Brentford a 1-0 win because Bolton couldn’t provide assurances they could host the game.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am

Surprised nobody has referred to the FA cup game when Wanderers came to Feethams & over 21k were rammed in (no Health & Safety in those days - so i watched it sat on the grass in front of West stand!). As usual with Cup games, Quakers lost, but not before giving Lofthouse & Co a torrid time.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 am

jjljks wrote:Surprised nobody has referred to the FA cup game when Wanderers came to Feethams & over 21k were rammed in (no Health & Safety in those days - so i watched it sat on the grass in front of West stand!). As usual with Cup games, Quakers lost, but not before giving Lofthouse & Co a torrid time.
I remember the league game in the late 80s when Phil Neale’s side battered us for 90 mins but we somehow held on for a 1-0 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 am
jjljks wrote:Surprised nobody has referred to the FA cup game when Wanderers came to Feethams & over 21k were rammed in (no Health & Safety in those days - so i watched it sat on the grass in front of West stand!). As usual with Cup games, Quakers lost, but not before giving Lofthouse & Co a torrid time.
I remember the league game in the late 80s when Phil Neale’s side battered us for 90 mins but we somehow held on for a 1-0 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The weekend after we got smashed 8-0 by Watford in the leave cup. Stephen Bell scored the goal.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Mon May 06, 2019 2:20 pm

We also won there in late '85 3-0 in one of Gary Pallister's early games when the team started turning things round that season. It's been painful at Notts County this season but I tell people once your team starts winning at a lower level it doesn't seem so bad - does it?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:20 pm
We also won there in late '85 3-0 in one of Gary Pallister's early games when the team started turning things round that season. It's been painful at Notts County this season but I tell people once your team starts winning at a lower level it doesn't seem so bad - does it?
I always say it's better to be winning in a lower league, than losing in a higher league.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:35 pm
[quote=Wiseacre post_id=445151 time=<a href="tel:1557152411">1557152411</a> user_id=20720]
I always say it's better to be winning in a lower league, than losing in a higher league.
[/quote]

You’ve lost the plot! Might as well have stayed in the Northern League then.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:37 pm

I was at that game, sure we went into the lead with a Joe Rayment goal but lost 2-1.How they got 21000 into Feethams god knows as the ground was pretty much the same then as it was at the final game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon May 06, 2019 3:49 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:37 pm
I was at that game, sure we went into the lead with a Joe Rayment goal but lost 2-1.How they got 21000 into Feethams god knows as the ground was pretty much the same then as it was at the final game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Simple. The odd 23 had a great view. The rest of us prayed we did not need the toilets.
Odd thing. The Arsenal match, I was near the middle of the goal right at the top and there were holes all over the place. Only a couple of thou less.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue May 07, 2019 11:48 am

Recalling big crowds at Feethams made me think about boxing day 1966 at home to Middlesbrough I was at Spratts corner with a pal when the barriers around the pitch collapsed under the pressure and we stood for the rest of the game with hundreds of others around the pitch. We were surrounded by beery Boro fans but there was no trouble. It was different on the pitch though with Greener, Yeoman, Peverell et al battered by Boro 4-0 Arthur Horsfield starred for them. I also heard an account from someone who attended a league cup game with West Ham at Feethams in the early 60's who said the crush was so bad he had aching ribs for days. I think some of the unusually big attendances have been estimates, usually down. There must have been more than 15 000 in for the Boro replay and that Sheff United match seemed to have an awful lot of people. Might be a safety issue. It's chastening to compare my memory of the good natured booziness in 1966 with the awful scenes twenty years on.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue May 07, 2019 12:03 pm

H and S rules didn't really exist back then. I have a copy of the FA Non- League directory from 1999, and on some of the Northern League grounds the capacities were listed as something ludicrous like 6-7,000. 'Safe' capacities it appears are only a thing of the past 15 years (although Harrogate Town away in 2016-7 must have pushed the safe capacity to the limit)