Berwick rangers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Berwick rangers

Post by Mister e » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm

A quiz question could be vanishing this Saturday Berwick rangers play the second leg of their play off game with cove rangers from the Aberdeen area trailing 4 0 from the first leg. I wonder if they would ever consider joining the English pyramid should the inevitable happen. I remember going on what was dubbed the tartan tour circa 1998 pre season I think hodgson was manager at the time we drew 1 1 at shieldfield park although I can't for the life of me remember our goal scorer on the day.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Berwick rangers

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 16, 2019 6:24 pm

I don't know if they'd be allowed to join the Northern league or if they'd have to join a feeder league, but it would be interesting if they turned their back on the Scottish non-league set up. Sorry to see them staring into the abyss, but as we know there is life after League football, it just doesn't seem so at the time.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Berwick lose their Scottish League status as they lose 0-3 at home and 0-7 on aggregate to Cove Rangers.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 18, 2019 6:25 pm

I went up to the game and my god, they were absolutely awful.

Deserved to go down.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat May 18, 2019 7:14 pm

How did their fans react Andy were they upset or did they just accept relegation has a formality. And are they confident of returning to the Scottish League any time soon.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Just accepted it, loads of anger towards the board it seemed

Players were beyond lazy, didn’t look bothered one bit. Credit to the Cove fans, about 400 of them. Made some noise and had a right good piss up it seemed.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:41 pm

Not a single goal scored since 19th March! They would appear to be destined for the Lowlands League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:42 pm

AndyPark wrote:Just accepted it, loads of anger towards the board it seemed

Players were beyond lazy, didn’t look bothered one bit. Credit to the Cove fans, about 400 of them. Made some noise and had a right good piss up it seemed.
Some of the Cove players are reckoned to be on 5 times the average wage for that league. Some of them are basically Championship players.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:41 pm
Not a single goal scored since 19th March! They would appear to be destined for the Lowlands League.

Apparently the middle of the Tay Road Bridge (56.4513N latitude) is the dividing line between the Highland League and the Lowland League. That's your fact for the day, trivia fans.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Berwick can look forward to playing the likes of Gretna, Hawick and Stirling Uni, a bit of a come down. But I do think the principal of having the bottom side of Scottish Div 3, being involved in a relegation play-off is a good idea for Scottish footnall.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 pm
Berwick can look forward to playing the likes of Gretna, Hawick and Stirling Uni, a bit of a come down. But I do think the principal of having the bottom side of Scottish Div 3, being involved in a relegation play-off is a good idea for Scottish footnall.
Not Hawick. They're a division below the LL.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sat May 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Berwick can look forward to playing the likes of Gretna, Hawick and Stirling Uni, a bit of a come down. But I do think the principal of having the bottom side of Scottish Div 3, being involved in a relegation play-off is a good idea for Scottish footnall.
I agree. For years bottom sides used to avoid relegation and just get the ‘wooden spoon’. At the same time ambitious sides could not get into the league. Odly enough mike amos slated the league when these relegation play offs came in complaining clubs would fave huge travel increases. Seems he hates the pyramid and progression both sides of the border.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:42 pm
AndyPark wrote:Just accepted it, loads of anger towards the board it seemed

Some of the Cove players are reckoned to be on 5 times the average wage for that league. Some of them are basically Championship players.

They did play some good football. Moving into a new stadium in the new season too according to a fan I spoke to in the bar.

Seemingly they’ve got some £££ behind them.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 pm

A warm welcome to Evostik? Berwick is English so really they should come down our way😂