Curtis Main

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
PierremontQuaker03
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Curtis Main

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Signs for Aberdeen!
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11855
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am

It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!

jjljks
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by jjljks » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 am

Any chance of a % of his transfer fee? All the best to the lad!

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:20 am

Strange signing for Aberdeen. He’s seen as a bit of a battling / physical forward despite his size. Probably a sign of Aberdeen having to sign players on lower salaries while they start to build their new ground. Still a step up from Motherwell for the lad

spen666
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11855
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:59 am

spen666 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.
Not really, he didn't show any promise for us and that's why we released him.

spen666
Posts: 1561
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:59 am
spen666 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.
Not really, he didn't show any promise for us and that's why we released him.
And at 18 years of age he was snapped up by a higher ranked club than Darlington and has always played at a higher level than where he was when Darlington released him.

He was only 18 years of age when he was released by Darlington. Most players that age have not made the first team let alone having played on 61 occasions . Clearly he his show quite a bit of potential to be playing for Darlington in the first team over 4 seasons

Its not compulsory to slate and belittle a player simply because he has moved to another club you know

EDJOHNS
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:11 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:43 am
Any chance of a % of his transfer fee? All the best to the lad!
He was released by Motherwell not transfered so no.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 am

I saw him on TV a few times for Motherwell this season and he looked decent. While not the tallest he has certainly "filled out" and is a real solid unit now.
I was quite shocked when I read that they had released him, and even more so when about 8-9 days later it was reported he signed for Aberdeen.
Made me wonder why either Motherwell had not offered a new contract to try to get a transfer fee or did Aberdeen just fancy him once freed and move quickly.
Must say, watching the 2 he does remind me of Rooney who of course they sold to Salford.

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 am

Middlesbrough saw something in him and he flourished under their coaching regime. Just because we didn’t unlock his potential doesn’t make him a bad player.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1720
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:15 am

spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:59 am
spen666 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.
Not really, he didn't show any promise for us and that's why we released him.
And at 18 years of age he was snapped up by a higher ranked club than Darlington and has always played at a higher level than where he was when Darlington released him.

He was only 18 years of age when he was released by Darlington. Most players that age have not made the first team let alone having played on 61 occasions . Clearly he his show quite a bit of potential to be playing for Darlington in the first team over 4 seasons

Its not compulsory to slate and belittle a player simply because he has moved to another club you know
Totally agree with Spen here, we were far too hasty in releasing him and Cooper did not really give him a fair crack of the whip.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3895
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 am

spen666 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:08 am
[quote=Darlo_Pete post_id=447042 time=<a href="tel:1559894391">1559894391</a> user_id=83]
[quote=spen666 post_id=447041 time=<a href="tel:1559894182">1559894182</a> user_id=7522]
[quote=Darlo_Pete post_id=447037 time=<a href="tel:1559871580">1559871580</a> user_id=83]
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.
[/quote]

Not really, he didn't show any promise for us and that's why we released him.
[/quote]

And at 18 years of age he was snapped up by a higher ranked club than Darlington and has always played at a higher level than where he was when Darlington released him.

He was only 18 years of age when he was released by Darlington. Most players that age have not made the first team let alone having played on 61 occasions . Clearly he his show quite a bit of potential to be playing for Darlington in the first team over 4 seasons

Its not compulsory to slate and belittle a player simply because he has moved to another club you know
[/quote]

To me he showed lots of talent when he played for us, I think he was only 15 when he made his first team appearance and the fact that he’s gone on to carve out a good career as as pro footballer proves that our management and certain fans (of the time) didn’t give him enough time to mature.

I’m really glad that he’s doing well.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11855
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:38 am

Yes I was at the game at Peterborough when he made his debut. He showed lots of promise to start with, but then he always seemed to disappear from matches and he hardly ever scored and I for one was not surprised when we released him.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11713
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:41 am

Pete in talking s*** shocker.

Main was clearly a promising player but he was exposed to a lot of expectation very early in his career and at a time when the club was in a bit of mess. Similar to Michael Smith.

Both have gone on to much better things since leaving, and it's not a huge surprise. Both were clearly highly rated at a youth level but were just chucked in way too early.

It always baffles me why we (English football fans) expect any player that shows a glimpse of promise as a teenager to suddenly become our star player over night. It seems to happen at every level.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

H1987
Posts: 1144
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by H1987 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:43 am

The guy has had a successful pro career. Of course we were daft to get rid of him when we did.

That he was picked up by Boro and played about 50 games for them should be evidence enough.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 am
I saw him on TV a few times for Motherwell this season and he looked decent. While not the tallest he has certainly "filled out" and is a real solid unit now.
I was quite shocked when I read that they had released him, and even more so when about 8-9 days later it was reported he signed for Aberdeen.
Made me wonder why either Motherwell had not offered a new contract to try to get a transfer fee or did Aberdeen just fancy him once freed and move quickly.
Must say, watching the 2 he does remind me of Rooney who of course they sold to Salford.
I think Curtis wanted to move from Motherwell, so possibly more a case of him rejecting a deal to stay. He was being touted around clubs in the SPFL months ago.

Surprised Aberdeen have picked him up - up until recently they've had the finances to offer higher salaries to players.

can see Curtis being a squad player to cover for injuries - he'll be behind Gary Mackay-Steven, Sam Cosgrove and Stevie May.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4588
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:10 am

Part of it also is that lower league football is much more restricted in terms being able to develop players.

You'd imagine most of Main's learning came at Middlesbrough, where they have the resources to dedicate to helping him develop, and iron out the issues he has. At Darlington or any other lower league club, there's rarely that opportunity as everything has to be geared around the first team.

Some on here like to say "Throw them in at the deep end to find out what they're like" but with younger players it does take time. Time a lower league may not have if they need to get promotion, or are trying to avoid relegation, so can't afford to take a risk with inexperienced players. Plus a bad first team experience can crush a young player's confidence.

Pete also seems to have a thing about slating our young players - he did it with Michael Smith, and with Saunders earlier this season too. Not sure why.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am

Agree with Spen on this one.

He had some talent and when he left he was still very young. Having said that, I'm sure he was about 7th choice at the time. We had some decent striker options and Smith was there at the time too, so his appearances were limited

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11713
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 am

I think he left during the FA Trophy winning season - was definitely Cooper who got rid, I remember away at Bath where he made a comment about Main standing around picking his nose in his post-match interview.

We had Chris Senior, the Hitman, and I can't quite remember who else that season. I know Tommy Wright came in at some point that season as well.

There was a lot to like about that team, the midfield of Chandler, Gary Smith, Verma and MBW with Arnison and Brown providing the width.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by bga » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:35 am
I think he left during the FA Trophy winning season - was definitely Cooper who got rid, I remember away at Bath where he made a comment about Main standing around picking his nose in his post-match interview.

We had Chris Senior, the Hitman, and I can't quite remember who else that season. I know Tommy Wright came in at some point that season as well.

There was a lot to like about that team, the midfield of Chandler, Gary Smith, Verma and MBW with Arnison and Brown providing the width.
Well if Curtis was picking his nose in a post match interview we were right to get ride of him! Disgusting habit.

Wiseacre
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Boro knew a prospect when they saw one and I was glad to see him have a decent career. I think it's very difficult for young talents to get what they need at our level - I saw him in a poor Quakers team under Colin Todd putting up with abuse from the crowd because he wasn't getting anything from his team mates. It's unfair to expect too much too soon and sometimes a young player can end up walking away from the game. Curtis was lucky to get Tony Mowbray after Cooper who might have taken against Robert Blake for having the occasional flutter. Curtis might have picked his nose but he could also pick his spot.

LoidLucan
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Some of the Aberdeen fans are less than impressed with the signing. "We've signed another striker who can't score goals" type of comment, pointing to his 48 career goals in 284 games. He must be more of the "Holds the ball up well" kind of striker and bringing others into play rather than troubling the back of the net frequently. But he's got a career in the pro game so good luck to him.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 am
I saw him on TV a few times for Motherwell this season and he looked decent. While not the tallest he has certainly "filled out" and is a real solid unit now.
I was quite shocked when I read that they had released him, and even more so when about 8-9 days later it was reported he signed for Aberdeen.
Made me wonder why either Motherwell had not offered a new contract to try to get a transfer fee or did Aberdeen just fancy him once freed and move quickly.
Must say, watching the 2 he does remind me of Rooney who of course they sold to Salford.
I think Curtis wanted to move from Motherwell, so possibly more a case of him rejecting a deal to stay. He was being touted around clubs in the SPFL months ago.

Surprised Aberdeen have picked him up - up until recently they've had the finances to offer higher salaries to players.

can see Curtis being a squad player to cover for injuries - he'll be behind Gary Mackay-Steven, Sam Cosgrove and Stevie May.
Thanks for that. Obviously we don't get a lot of info about the Scottish game, though as I said I do watch some on TV especially if I know of someone who is playing such as Curtis.
While I think he would struggle to survive at the likes of Celtic, from what I have seen, he should do a decent job for most other clubs in the Scottish prem'.

I think Pete was just being the usual Pete with his comments. Anyone who grinds out a career in the lower levels of any sport and has clubs asking for his services deserves as much respect as those who play for Liverpool.

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2708
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm

spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.
Pete has always had a bee in his bonnet about the lad, personally thought he had potential when playing for us and he was as bad as Pete makes out

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11855
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:14 pm
spen666 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:39 am
It's amazing how far he's got, when he showed so little talent when playing for us!!!!!
Bit harsh when he had played 45 football league games before his 18th birthday and was playing in the first team before he was 16.
Pete has always had a bee in his bonnet about the lad, personally thought he had potential when playing for us and he was as bad as Pete makes out

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Very true Harry, I admit I've never liked the bloke and I see no reason to change my mind about him anytime soon.

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 am
I saw him on TV a few times for Motherwell this season and he looked decent. While not the tallest he has certainly "filled out" and is a real solid unit now.
I was quite shocked when I read that they had released him, and even more so when about 8-9 days later it was reported he signed for Aberdeen.
Made me wonder why either Motherwell had not offered a new contract to try to get a transfer fee or did Aberdeen just fancy him once freed and move quickly.
Must say, watching the 2 he does remind me of Rooney who of course they sold to Salford.
I think Curtis wanted to move from Motherwell, so possibly more a case of him rejecting a deal to stay. He was being touted around clubs in the SPFL months ago.

Surprised Aberdeen have picked him up - up until recently they've had the finances to offer higher salaries to players.

can see Curtis being a squad player to cover for injuries - he'll be behind Gary Mackay-Steven, Sam Cosgrove and Stevie May.
Thanks for that. Obviously we don't get a lot of info about the Scottish game, though as I said I do watch some on TV especially if I know of someone who is playing such as Curtis.
While I think he would struggle to survive at the likes of Celtic, from what I have seen, he should do a decent job for most other clubs in the Scottish prem'.

I think Pete was just being the usual Pete with his comments. Anyone who grinds out a career in the lower levels of any sport and has clubs asking for his services deserves as much respect as those who play for Liverpool.
No way would Celtic or The rangers sign Curtis main. Not surprised Aberdeen fans are underwhelmed by then signing him. He’s best described as a bustling, annoying forward who can keep a defence on their toes whilst creating gaps for others to exploit.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Curtis Main

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:57 pm
Comfortably_numb wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 am
I saw him on TV a few times for Motherwell this season and he looked decent. While not the tallest he has certainly "filled out" and is a real solid unit now.
I was quite shocked when I read that they had released him, and even more so when about 8-9 days later it was reported he signed for Aberdeen.
Made me wonder why either Motherwell had not offered a new contract to try to get a transfer fee or did Aberdeen just fancy him once freed and move quickly.
Must say, watching the 2 he does remind me of Rooney who of course they sold to Salford.
I think Curtis wanted to move from Motherwell, so possibly more a case of him rejecting a deal to stay. He was being touted around clubs in the SPFL months ago.

Surprised Aberdeen have picked him up - up until recently they've had the finances to offer higher salaries to players.

can see Curtis being a squad player to cover for injuries - he'll be behind Gary Mackay-Steven, Sam Cosgrove and Stevie May.
Thanks for that. Obviously we don't get a lot of info about the Scottish game, though as I said I do watch some on TV especially if I know of someone who is playing such as Curtis.
While I think he would struggle to survive at the likes of Celtic, from what I have seen, he should do a decent job for most other clubs in the Scottish prem'.

I think Pete was just being the usual Pete with his comments. Anyone who grinds out a career in the lower levels of any sport and has clubs asking for his services deserves as much respect as those who play for Liverpool.
No way would Celtic or The rangers sign Curtis main. Not surprised Aberdeen fans are underwhelmed by then signing him. He’s best described as a bustling, annoying forward who can keep a defence on their toes whilst creating gaps for others to exploit.
That is why I said he would struggle at the likes of Celtic. I was going to add "and Rangers" but then I thought "Hang on they have Tavernier as skipper and normally only play with 10 men because of Morelos being a nut case so left it as only naming Celtic.
I have no doubt he will be making a decent living up there so good luck to the lad.

Post Reply