Gateshead relegated to NLN

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:57 am

It’s a trip to the International Stadium (probably) next season.

Oxford City moved back into the NLS.

From a travelling point of view, we’ve swapped a long trip for a short one.

Surprised they weren’t relegated to the Evo Stik, that’s certainly been the precedent (Salisbury I think this happened to). Either way, relegation from NL to NLN isn’t something I can recall seeing before in these circumstances .

Given their mess, this isn’t a terrible outcome for them to be honest. Could have been much worse.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Re: Gateshead relegated to NLN

Post by al_quaker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 am

Surprised at that given the precedent

Be interesting to see how they get on with the recent turmoil

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 am

I think it happened to Boston as well, relegated from the NL to the Evostik. Or were they relegated from the league straight to the NLN, because the NL wouldn't accept them? I can't remember.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 am

They've probably got off with things fairly lightly given some of the precedents and the long list of indisputable offences that occurred.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 am

I don't really know anything about their new set up. Are they likely to be splashing the unrecoverable cash again, or relegation fodder? And where are they going to play?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:25 am

Not nice to see any club in trouble, but I would be interested in logic of dropping them 1 division rather than demoting out of National League completely is to NPL or leaving them where they were.

Strong suspicion decision was made to avoid having to reprieve Truro into NLS as stuck out on a limb.

Oxford moved out of NLN, so one long away trip gone for NE clubs.

Wonder if Gateshead in NLN will affect Christmas pairings. Will Gateshead and Blyth be paired? Or will Blyth n Spennymoor stay paired, leaving Gateshead to be paired with Darlington?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:25 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 am
I don't really know anything about their new set up. Are they likely to be splashing the unrecoverable cash again, or relegation fodder? And where are they going to play?
Agreed 5 year deal to play at International Stadium apparently

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm

tdk1 wrote:I don't really know anything about their new set up. Are they likely to be splashing the unrecoverable cash again, or relegation fodder? And where are they going to play?
They’re going to be full-time according to the club. There’ve been some noises from the supporters behind the takeover that they’ll be more sustainable, but we’ll wait and see on that one.
spen666 wrote:
tdk1 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 am
Agreed 5 year deal to play at International Stadium apparently
10-year deal confirmed by Gateshead Council

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/mo ... -1-9811684

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Yeah, just read the statement. Absolutely zero chance they'll be breaking even if they're full time. Their attendances will fall as away crowds will surely be lower, and we all know the financial necessities of this division.

Seems to me they have lucked out yet again. They must have a four leaf clover patch next to their dugouts.

I know, I know, forget about everyone else and focus on ourselves. But it would be nice if we weren't taking part in a running race against a field full of people who are being given motorbikes.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm

They’re going to be full-time according to the club. There’ve been some noises from the supporters behind the takeover that they’ll be more sustainable, but we’ll wait and see on that one.
If they think they are going to be full time and sustainable then they are living in cloud cuckoo land. It is impossible to run a club full time on gates of less than 1,000.

To do that requires heavy investment. Do their new owners have the finance behind them?

Where the fuck do they keep getting new owners from who are willing to chuck money into the club?

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Chris dunphy appears to have returned, although I must admit I don't really know the significance of that in terms of finances.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:38 pm

If they think they are going to be full time and sustainable then they are living in cloud cuckoo land. It is impossible to run a club full time on gates of less than 1,000.

To do that requires heavy investment. Do their new owners have the finance behind them?

Where the fuck do they keep getting new owners from who are willing to chuck money into the club?
It's totally baffling how they keep getting backers prepared to lose millions chasing something that ain't going to happen.They have NEVER had half decent support and never will tbh.Crazy.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

WesleyanQuaker

Post by WesleyanQuaker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:39 pm

I thought the rationale behind relegation is to not only punish but to help restructure and reduce budgets. Staying full time with ambition to go straight back up just means they will be back to square one, it doesn’t make sense for the league to have a basket case club which they have to worry will not survive each season.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:06 pm

So what are the differences between what happened to us and Gateshead? We were heavily punished 7 years ago and forced to start from the Northern League, not even the Evostik Northern Premier, yet Gateshead have only been demoted the one division. Was it our previous history of administrations that were held against us, as this seems a light punishment in comparison? :eh:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:27 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:So what are the differences between what happened to us and Gateshead? We were heavily punished 7 years ago and forced to start from the Northern League, not even the Evostik Northern Premier, yet Gateshead have only been demoted the one division. Was it our previous history of administrations that were held against us, as this seems a light punishment in comparison? :eh:
Gateshead never went into Administration...

IIRC with us it was to do with coming out of Administration without a CVA and the lack of a Football Share Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Was it also 3 admins in a short space of time?

murtonquaker
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Post by murtonquaker » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:Was it also 3 admins in a short space of time?
If I remember as well, I think at the time the FA implemented a new rule to stop teams starting again a division or 2 below where they failed, sure it was after Chester and Halifax and dropped only 2 divisions to Evo-Stik D1N, and sure we were the first club to be hit with the new rule...

I do have a terrible memory though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:38 pm

They will never break even, due to their poor support and the costs associated with the International Stadium. Will look forward to going to Gateshead, as long as the trains are running that day.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:07 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:I think it happened to Boston as well, relegated from the NL to the Evostik. Or were they relegated from the league straight to the NLN, because the NL wouldn't accept them? I can't remember.
Boston went straight into unibond league as it was known then
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:09 am

I don't think they'll pay much for the International Stadium. They just rent it, and it's council owned.

Their problem is the inability to grow crowds, and i'm sure a huge part of that is the stadium. It's not a good place to watch football. Unfortunately for them, they have absolutely no other options unless they were to build their own stadium, to the tune of millions.

I don't know if they'll lose a huge amount this year on what they would in the national. Surely the crowds we and York will take will easily compensate what Pools would. They may have to charge lower fees though, but then their salaries will probably be lower as well. Ultimately though, they *will* lose money. They better hope Dunphy has deep pockets.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:16 am

Think Dunphy is stepping away now, not sure what that means for them.

They either have some good serious plans or hey are going to be in trouble half way through the season.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Budget of 375k for next season.

First of all that's not going to get you much in terms of full time footballers, secondly they're living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they can generate that sort of budget in any case - unless they have a money man putting six figures in.

For context, we can't yet have a budget as high as that, and we have put six figures into it, *and* get bigger crowds

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Mmmmm if only Darlo Council had a large stadium they would rent to us on a peppercorn fee......

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Budget of 375k for next season.

First of all that's not going to get you much in terms of full time footballers, secondly they're living in cloud cuckoo land if they think they can generate that sort of budget in any case - unless they have a money man putting six figures in.

For context, we can't yet have a budget as high as that, and we have put six figures into it, *and* get bigger crowds
Ahem ahem what was the budget for last season, pretty much the same, where did the team finish?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:13 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:45 pm
Mmmmm if only Darlo Council had a large stadium they would rent to us on a peppercorn fee......
You mean like Hereford town council who lease Edgar Street to Hereford FC for £10,000 a year.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:23 pm

We were always behind some other teams whose councils actually owned their stadiums in terms of infrastructure. Telford are another one whose stadium wasn't tied up in their debts, they'd be a long way from where they are now if it had been. Because of Houghton borrowing money against the arena it fell into private hands. Scott and sizer didn't ask for much for the arena, they sold it to mowden for a real knock down sum of about £2m, I believe, but it was way more than we could afford, which in turn was a consequence of that terrible decision by Houghton.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:31 pm

shildonlad wrote:

Ahem ahem what was the budget for last season, pretty much the same, where did the team finish?
In the National League North....

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:37 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:04 pm

£375k budget in NLN if that is just on players puts Gateshead in a group of the top 4 alongside Spennymoor, Hereford and Chester.

Someone is putting serious money in, you have some major transfer payments dropping in or Gateshead are going to be in big trouble through the season.

If I was a Gateshead fan I would be worried about those figures, whilst also hoping someone covers the shortfall and the figures are organised in that way.

I hope those taking the club on don't over gamble and you end up in trouble again, it's easy to do and Darlo have been guilty of expecting the better side of finances rather than facing some harsh realities.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:11 pm

shildonlad wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:04 pm
I don't know what the budget was last season (though I found out it was 609k the season before).

If it was 375k last season as I think you're suggesting, then it is surprising that you managed to fund a FT squad on so little, and a miracle that you were in play off contention to be honest- but the pertinent point is that you couldn't afford that budget really, hence the cuts - so how can you afford it again this season with potentially less income?

I'm just curious really, where does the money come from to sustain a 375k budget for next season? We can't afford that despite 100k from the fans, decent off field income from the fans lottery and 50/50, decent commercial income, and bigger crowds.

Is there a hidden money pot or are directors putting in, do you have lucrative sponsorship or something - you lot could maybe teach us a thing or two?

shildonlad

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:21 pm

All i can say is have a listen to the podcast. Theres loads of shite flies round on social media these days but when you hear people talking it puts a better perspective on things. Theres is a few people investing in gateshead including the fans and some unlikely sources have come forward and helped. Just have a listen to the podcast
https://www.spreaker.com/user/heedarmypodcast