Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Alfie
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Eye, Suffolk

Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Alfie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 pm

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... ny-2969073

If you read this article the convicted fraudster involved (as a legal adviser?) in the takeover of Notts Co. claims to have had previous success at turning round other failing clubs, including Darlo - anyone heard of him, under whichever name he was using at the time?

onewayup
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by onewayup » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

I have been a Darlington supporter for a great number of years, never heard of this guy. Seems a he's a conman, jailbird, fraudulent shyster. We have had numerous bad benefactors but this guy never, unless he also has another alias.

User avatar
mikkyx
Site Admin
Posts: 3713
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Name's not ringing any bells here...
Mike Price - @mikkyx
---
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
One fifth of Darlo Fans Radio and one half of the Darlo Radio Football Show

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11731
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Never heard the name, but the quote in which he mentions us talks about us 'going on to be promoted' - so he's either from way back (ie late 80s) or he's being very creative in his wording and us 'going on to be promoted' refers to 2012 onwards when his involvement would have related to Reynolds/Houghton/Singh era. Technically not untrue, but nothing to do with his or their involvement!

The fact he's a convicted fraudster suggests he's just full of s***.

Only other thing I can think of is was he involved in some way when Stewart Davies took us on?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Is it Sotnick using a changed name? If so stand by for an increase in pie prices.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Wiseacre
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I think the issue with this bloke is he's a proven liar and has been convicted so he's bad news. I think he might have another name anyway but nobody's heard of him at Lincoln either. The news at Notts is all bad at the moment and I can see them coming down to our level; they're not prepared for next season, everyone will want to beat them and the prospective buyers for the club are an unsavory lot. So the only link with Darlo might be playing each other soon - and I'll be wearing a black and white scarf.

shildonlad
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 am

Im sure he will have no bother passing the fit and proper test. I do hope county are sorted but aint they in nearly a million pounds worth of debt?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

joejaques
Posts: 2660
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Milford Haven

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by joejaques » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am

Alfie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 pm
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... ny-2969073

If you read this article the convicted fraudster involved (as a legal adviser?) in the takeover of Notts Co. claims to have had previous success at turning round other failing clubs, including Darlo - anyone heard of him, under whichever name he was using at the time?
Sounds like a description of Gorgeous George. Any mention of him doorstepping with heavies? :roll:
Image

User avatar
grytters
Posts: 1589
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sheffield

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by grytters » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 am

Never heard of him, either in connection with Darlo or Wednesday or United.

I'll ask at work when I'm back tomorrow, but I seriously doubt it.
A hyena dancing on the grave of a lion.

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6076
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 am

Tony Kenworthy was at DFC around the time we were owned by Reg Brealey.
It seems like they are part of the same crowd.

onewayup
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by onewayup » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm

He's a coloured guy of around 5ft 8in looked up his name on web ,I am a 50year darlo supporter, never ever saw or heard of this lying humpty.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Any idea what his characteristics have to do with what you have just said?

:shock:

biccynana
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by biccynana » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:25 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm
He's a coloured guy of around 5ft 8in looked up his name on web ,I am a 50year darlo supporter, never ever saw or heard of this lying humpty.
Blue? Green? Orange?

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1610
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:56 pm

He possibly means black but who knows?

Wiseacre
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Tony Kenworthy rings a bell - the Reg Brearley ship sailed some troubled waters and I think Kenworthy was his first mate. It's worth looking through old issues of Mission Impossible from the 90's where there is some very good coverage of what was going on.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Reg Brealey may be 80 now but he was sniffing around Chesterfield a few months back and publicly declared that he wanted the buzz of running a football club again, albeit with a couple of people on board with him. Nottingham and Chesterfield are pretty close to each other geographically so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this is to do with Reg.

Here's the article about the Chesterfield link.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ll-league/

A quick look at the Chesterfield message board from last year shows indeed that May, Kenworthy and Brealey are indeed linked, so it's pretty likely that Alex May was talking about the Brealey years with Darlington, possibly via St.Phillips trust.

jjljks
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:46 am

Is the "fit & proper" rule really part of the FA book or just my imagination? How can such people inflict themselves on the fans?

Wiseacre
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Notts are in a real spot of bother at the moment; unsettled tax, most of the team gone, uncertainty about the manager and almost certainly having to move ground. All that history means nothing now and they could wobble. Their experience of fans ownership a few years ago was mixed and there may not be enthusiasm for another go. If Brearley and his pals are hovering they might get hold of the club. My memory of this bloke at Feethams was that he was very elusive and tended to hand a lot over to Kenworthy and Bernard Lowery. They were seen as dubious characters but I don't know how fair this might be but if this May fellow was involved with them we can suspect there might have been some dodgy doings at Darlo. County beware.

spen666
Posts: 1602
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by spen666 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm
Notts are in a real spot of bother at the moment; unsettled tax, most of the team gone, uncertainty about the manager and almost certainly having to move ground. All that history means nothing now and they could wobble. Their experience of fans ownership a few years ago was mixed and there may not be enthusiasm for another go. If Brearley and his pals are hovering they might get hold of the club. My memory of this bloke at Feethams was that he was very elusive and tended to hand a lot over to Kenworthy and Bernard Lowery. They were seen as dubious characters but I don't know how fair this might be but if this May fellow was involved with them we can suspect there might have been some dodgy doings at Darlo. County beware.

Its never nice to see a club in serious financial trouble and sadly Notts county have been slipping deeper into trouble for a few years now.

I didn't know they were at risk of having to move ground though. How has that come about?

User avatar
grytters
Posts: 1589
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Sheffield

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by grytters » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 pm

As I suspected.

No one knows who he is.

Everyone remembers "Uncle Reg" though.

A pound shop Doug Ellis without the latter's charisma or talent.
A hyena dancing on the grave of a lion.

Wiseacre
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm

The position regarding Meadow Lane is that Notts. County Council own it and are making clear noises about redeveloping it for something else - there's enough uncertainty about it all to generate real fears within the club. This plus the unpaid tax bill puts them in real difficulties so they might grab any lifeline.

spen666
Posts: 1602
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm
The position regarding Meadow Lane is that Notts. County Council own it and are making clear noises about redeveloping it for something else - there's enough uncertainty about it all to generate real fears within the club. This plus the unpaid tax bill puts them in real difficulties so they might grab any lifeline.
Thanks for that.


It seems with
Bolton, Bury, Notts Co, Macclesfield, Ebbsfleet etc that there is a serious risk of at least one (if not more) club folding before next season starts.


Take over deals seem to be going nowhere

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11941
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 pm

It seems to come up regularly that teams are in dire financial straits every season, but the vast majority of them seem to pull through. It would probably take one of the big boys to go pop for it to make much of an impact on the football authorities.

Mister e
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Mister e » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Oh how I wish the glazers would pull the plug on Manchester United and leave them millions and millions in debt. I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be treat like the burys Bolton Wanderers Macclesfield towns and notts countys of this world.

biccynana
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by biccynana » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Interesting article on Bury by the always excellent David Conn in the paper the other day https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-car-park. Some shocking revelations, like £1.6 million being loaned to the club, 40% of it being given as an 'introduction fee' to a third party, but Bury still owe the full amount, and are paying interest on it, even though they only actually got 60% of it.

This line, by one of the supporters' group, stood out (as well as reminding me how happy I am at the way DFC operates):
“This is a cautionary tale, for Bury and other smaller clubs,” he said. “We can’t live beyond our means and rely on some benefactor to fund it; we are seeing the risks again now.”

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11731
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Mister e wrote:Oh how I wish the glazers would pull the plug on Manchester United and leave them millions and millions in debt. I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be treat like the burys Bolton Wanderers Macclesfield towns and notts countys of this world.
Why?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11731
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm
The position regarding Meadow Lane is that Notts. County Council own it and are making clear noises about redeveloping it for something else - there's enough uncertainty about it all to generate real fears within the club. This plus the unpaid tax bill puts them in real difficulties so they might grab any lifeline.
Thanks for that.


It seems with
Bolton, Bury, Notts Co, Macclesfield, Ebbsfleet etc that there is a serious risk of at least one (if not more) club folding before next season starts.


Take over deals seem to be going nowhere
That's what happens when clubs are subsided heavily by a sole backer, more often than not.

Not an issue for well run clubs with the majority of their income coming from multiple sponsorship deals and a big fan base.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mister e
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Mister e » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Spyman the reasons I would like to see Manchester United have a fall. They don't give s stuff about clubs at our level even lower league clubs for that matter. They whinged to be given an extra round start in the league cup some years ago using Europe has an excuse coincidentally after being giant killed by then fourth division Bradford city. Then if they were drawn away to a lower league club in a cup game they would play academy players depriving fans of seeing their top stars but would then revert to the first team quarter finals onwards - oh how I pissed myself laughing when it backfired against York city. They constantly get TV licence payers money chucked at them constantly broadcast by the BBC on fa cup weekend.finally paying the likes of Sanchez £500'000 a week fuelling the greed which is destroying the game from the championship downwards.

biccynana
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by biccynana » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Spyman the reasons I would like to see Manchester United have a fall. They don't give s stuff about clubs at our level even lower league clubs for that matter. They whinged to be given an extra round start in the league cup some years ago using Europe has an excuse coincidentally after being giant killed by then fourth division Bradford city. Then if they were drawn away to a lower league club in a cup game they would play academy players depriving fans of seeing their top stars but would then revert to the first team quarter finals onwards - oh how I pissed myself laughing when it backfired against York city. They constantly get TV licence payers money chucked at them constantly broadcast by the BBC on fa cup weekend.finally paying the likes of Sanchez £500'000 a week fuelling the greed which is destroying the game from the championship downwards.
Much of that is hardly exclusive to Man U.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:10 pm

biccynana wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm
Mister e wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Spyman the reasons I would like to see Manchester United have a fall. They don't give s stuff about clubs at our level even lower league clubs for that matter. They whinged to be given an extra round start in the league cup some years ago using Europe has an excuse coincidentally after being giant killed by then fourth division Bradford city. Then if they were drawn away to a lower league club in a cup game they would play academy players depriving fans of seeing their top stars but would then revert to the first team quarter finals onwards - oh how I pissed myself laughing when it backfired against York city. They constantly get TV licence payers money chucked at them constantly broadcast by the BBC on fa cup weekend.finally paying the likes of Sanchez £500'000 a week fuelling the greed which is destroying the game from the championship downwards.
Much of that is hardly exclusive to Man U.
Agree, but then who is going to be a bigger blast to wake people up, Bury or Manure?
Remember when Pompey were prem league and hit trouble? There was panic about a prem' league club going pop, but very little gets said then it is lower level.
To my way of thinking the "bigger" the club that is first of them to go the better.

Post Reply