Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by Alfie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 pm

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... ny-2969073

If you read this article the convicted fraudster involved (as a legal adviser?) in the takeover of Notts Co. claims to have had previous success at turning round other failing clubs, including Darlo - anyone heard of him, under whichever name he was using at the time?

onewayup

Re: Notts Co. takeover - Darlo link

Post by onewayup » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 pm

I have been a Darlington supporter for a great number of years, never heard of this guy. Seems a he's a conman, jailbird, fraudulent shyster. We have had numerous bad benefactors but this guy never, unless he also has another alias.

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Name's not ringing any bells here...
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Never heard the name, but the quote in which he mentions us talks about us 'going on to be promoted' - so he's either from way back (ie late 80s) or he's being very creative in his wording and us 'going on to be promoted' refers to 2012 onwards when his involvement would have related to Reynolds/Houghton/Singh era. Technically not untrue, but nothing to do with his or their involvement!

The fact he's a convicted fraudster suggests he's just full of s***.

Only other thing I can think of is was he involved in some way when Stewart Davies took us on?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Is it Sotnick using a changed name? If so stand by for an increase in pie prices.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I think the issue with this bloke is he's a proven liar and has been convicted so he's bad news. I think he might have another name anyway but nobody's heard of him at Lincoln either. The news at Notts is all bad at the moment and I can see them coming down to our level; they're not prepared for next season, everyone will want to beat them and the prospective buyers for the club are an unsavory lot. So the only link with Darlo might be playing each other soon - and I'll be wearing a black and white scarf.

shildonlad
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gateshead

Post by shildonlad » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 am

Im sure he will have no bother passing the fit and proper test. I do hope county are sorted but aint they in nearly a million pounds worth of debt?
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am

Alfie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:26 pm
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... ny-2969073

If you read this article the convicted fraudster involved (as a legal adviser?) in the takeover of Notts Co. claims to have had previous success at turning round other failing clubs, including Darlo - anyone heard of him, under whichever name he was using at the time?
Sounds like a description of Gorgeous George. Any mention of him doorstepping with heavies? :roll:

grytters

Post by grytters » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 am

Never heard of him, either in connection with Darlo or Wednesday or United.

I'll ask at work when I'm back tomorrow, but I seriously doubt it.
Bring Back the Quarters

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 am

Tony Kenworthy was at DFC around the time we were owned by Reg Brealey.
It seems like they are part of the same crowd.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm

He's a coloured guy of around 5ft 8in looked up his name on web ,I am a 50year darlo supporter, never ever saw or heard of this lying humpty.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Any idea what his characteristics have to do with what you have just said?

:shock:

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:25 pm

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:52 pm
He's a coloured guy of around 5ft 8in looked up his name on web ,I am a 50year darlo supporter, never ever saw or heard of this lying humpty.
Blue? Green? Orange?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:56 pm

He possibly means black but who knows?

Wiseacre

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Tony Kenworthy rings a bell - the Reg Brearley ship sailed some troubled waters and I think Kenworthy was his first mate. It's worth looking through old issues of Mission Impossible from the 90's where there is some very good coverage of what was going on.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Reg Brealey may be 80 now but he was sniffing around Chesterfield a few months back and publicly declared that he wanted the buzz of running a football club again, albeit with a couple of people on board with him. Nottingham and Chesterfield are pretty close to each other geographically so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that this is to do with Reg.

Here's the article about the Chesterfield link.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ll-league/

A quick look at the Chesterfield message board from last year shows indeed that May, Kenworthy and Brealey are indeed linked, so it's pretty likely that Alex May was talking about the Brealey years with Darlington, possibly via St.Phillips trust.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:46 am

Is the "fit & proper" rule really part of the FA book or just my imagination? How can such people inflict themselves on the fans?

Wiseacre

Post by Wiseacre » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Notts are in a real spot of bother at the moment; unsettled tax, most of the team gone, uncertainty about the manager and almost certainly having to move ground. All that history means nothing now and they could wobble. Their experience of fans ownership a few years ago was mixed and there may not be enthusiasm for another go. If Brearley and his pals are hovering they might get hold of the club. My memory of this bloke at Feethams was that he was very elusive and tended to hand a lot over to Kenworthy and Bernard Lowery. They were seen as dubious characters but I don't know how fair this might be but if this May fellow was involved with them we can suspect there might have been some dodgy doings at Darlo. County beware.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:32 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:00 pm
Notts are in a real spot of bother at the moment; unsettled tax, most of the team gone, uncertainty about the manager and almost certainly having to move ground. All that history means nothing now and they could wobble. Their experience of fans ownership a few years ago was mixed and there may not be enthusiasm for another go. If Brearley and his pals are hovering they might get hold of the club. My memory of this bloke at Feethams was that he was very elusive and tended to hand a lot over to Kenworthy and Bernard Lowery. They were seen as dubious characters but I don't know how fair this might be but if this May fellow was involved with them we can suspect there might have been some dodgy doings at Darlo. County beware.

Its never nice to see a club in serious financial trouble and sadly Notts county have been slipping deeper into trouble for a few years now.

I didn't know they were at risk of having to move ground though. How has that come about?

grytters

Post by grytters » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:11 pm

As I suspected.

No one knows who he is.

Everyone remembers "Uncle Reg" though.

A pound shop Doug Ellis without the latter's charisma or talent.
Bring Back the Quarters

Wiseacre

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm

The position regarding Meadow Lane is that Notts. County Council own it and are making clear noises about redeveloping it for something else - there's enough uncertainty about it all to generate real fears within the club. This plus the unpaid tax bill puts them in real difficulties so they might grab any lifeline.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm
The position regarding Meadow Lane is that Notts. County Council own it and are making clear noises about redeveloping it for something else - there's enough uncertainty about it all to generate real fears within the club. This plus the unpaid tax bill puts them in real difficulties so they might grab any lifeline.
Thanks for that.

It seems with
Bolton, Bury, Notts Co, Macclesfield, Ebbsfleet etc that there is a serious risk of at least one (if not more) club folding before next season starts.

Take over deals seem to be going nowhere

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 pm

It seems to come up regularly that teams are in dire financial straits every season, but the vast majority of them seem to pull through. It would probably take one of the big boys to go pop for it to make much of an impact on the football authorities.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Oh how I wish the glazers would pull the plug on Manchester United and leave them millions and millions in debt. I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be treat like the burys Bolton Wanderers Macclesfield towns and notts countys of this world.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Interesting article on Bury by the always excellent David Conn in the paper the other day https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... s-car-park. Some shocking revelations, like £1.6 million being loaned to the club, 40% of it being given as an 'introduction fee' to a third party, but Bury still owe the full amount, and are paying interest on it, even though they only actually got 60% of it.

This line, by one of the supporters' group, stood out (as well as reminding me how happy I am at the way DFC operates):
“This is a cautionary tale, for Bury and other smaller clubs,” he said. “We can’t live beyond our means and rely on some benefactor to fund it; we are seeing the risks again now.”

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Mister e wrote:Oh how I wish the glazers would pull the plug on Manchester United and leave them millions and millions in debt. I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be treat like the burys Bolton Wanderers Macclesfield towns and notts countys of this world.
Why?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wiseacre wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm
Thanks for that.

It seems with
Bolton, Bury, Notts Co, Macclesfield, Ebbsfleet etc that there is a serious risk of at least one (if not more) club folding before next season starts.

Take over deals seem to be going nowhere
That's what happens when clubs are subsided heavily by a sole backer, more often than not.

Not an issue for well run clubs with the majority of their income coming from multiple sponsorship deals and a big fan base.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DC

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Spyman the reasons I would like to see Manchester United have a fall. They don't give s stuff about clubs at our level even lower league clubs for that matter. They whinged to be given an extra round start in the league cup some years ago using Europe has an excuse coincidentally after being giant killed by then fourth division Bradford city. Then if they were drawn away to a lower league club in a cup game they would play academy players depriving fans of seeing their top stars but would then revert to the first team quarter finals onwards - oh how I pissed myself laughing when it backfired against York city. They constantly get TV licence payers money chucked at them constantly broadcast by the BBC on fa cup weekend.finally paying the likes of Sanchez £500'000 a week fuelling the greed which is destroying the game from the championship downwards.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Mister e wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Spyman the reasons I would like to see Manchester United have a fall. They don't give s stuff about clubs at our level even lower league clubs for that matter. They whinged to be given an extra round start in the league cup some years ago using Europe has an excuse coincidentally after being giant killed by then fourth division Bradford city. Then if they were drawn away to a lower league club in a cup game they would play academy players depriving fans of seeing their top stars but would then revert to the first team quarter finals onwards - oh how I pissed myself laughing when it backfired against York city. They constantly get TV licence payers money chucked at them constantly broadcast by the BBC on fa cup weekend.finally paying the likes of Sanchez £500'000 a week fuelling the greed which is destroying the game from the championship downwards.
Much of that is hardly exclusive to Man U.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:10 pm

biccynana wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm
Mister e wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm
Much of that is hardly exclusive to Man U.
Agree, but then who is going to be a bigger blast to wake people up, Bury or Manure?
Remember when Pompey were prem league and hit trouble? There was panic about a prem' league club going pop, but very little gets said then it is lower level.
To my way of thinking the "bigger" the club that is first of them to go the better.