Jordan Nicholson released

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 pm

Hmmmmm ..... very interesting.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11731
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Spyman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Can only assume a replacement is lined up, shame to see him go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Wijnhard's_Schlong
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Wijnhard's_Schlong » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm
Can only assume a replacement is lined up, shame to see him go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Agreed. Had a feeling this may have been coming given the attackers brought in from Blyth and comments about having a NE based team but still a strange one given JN has been one of very few goal threats in the team of late. Like you say a replacement must be readied.

User avatar
dfc4me
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by dfc4me » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm

With Wright gone Nicholson was always likely to want to play back down south. A talented player but very lightweight for this league. Wonder if he ends up at Stratford.

User avatar
robsraiders
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by robsraiders » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 pm

A decent player he was our top scorer a miss in my opinion

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11941
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Sorry to see him go, may not be the smartest thing we've done, good luck Jordan and thanks for everything you have done for us.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1643
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Dale Hopson it might well be then. He's an attacking midfielder. Obviously didn't fancy staying.

real_darlo_85
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by real_darlo_85 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm
With Wright gone Nicholson was always likely to want to play back down south. A talented player but very lightweight for this league. Wonder if he ends up at Stratford.
A bit disappointed to see him leave as he was one positive signing that had a bit of end product and a consistent contributor to what was a pretty dour squad last season. If Hopson is his replacement, although being North East based, in my opinion is just as lightweight and not exactly much of an upgrade, but we'll see.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

sue_donym
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:39 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by sue_donym » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:17 pm

Slightly worried by this. Technically one of our best players and our best, most consistent attacker last season. Whoever's coming in has shoes to fill.

Quakers83
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 pm

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:14 pm
dfc4me wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm
With Wright gone Nicholson was always likely to want to play back down south. A talented player but very lightweight for this league. Wonder if he ends up at Stratford.
A bit disappointed to see him leave as he was one positive signing that had a bit of end product and a consistent contributor to what was a pretty dour squad last season. If Hopson is his replacement, although being North East based, in my opinion is just as lightweight and not exactly much of an upgrade, but we'll see.
Nicholson scored eleven and assisted one last season, I would say that Hopson could match that. Nonetheless we more than likely could sign another player in addition to Hopson with Nicholson’s wages.

We need to be realistic - is it really feasible to be travelling from places such as Cambridge, Sheffield etc for part-time football? We were paying over the odds for certain players, purely because of where they were from.

As a Midlands based coach, TW mainly only brought in players that had played for him before, majority based two, three, four hours away - and wow have we paid over the odds for some of them. This is why the squad was a imbalanced, top-heavy, costly mess.

Quakers83
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Quakers83 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 pm

sue_donym wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:17 pm
Slightly worried by this. Technically one of our best players and our best, most consistent attacker last season. Whoever's coming in has shoes to fill.
Well one player can fill Nicholson’s left boot.

AN.other can fill Nicholson’s right boot.

Two for the price of one. Just the 12 contributed goals to make up between the two of them and it’s good business - on the pitch and financially.
Last edited by Quakers83 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beano
Posts: 1314
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Beano » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 pm

If his wages were as astronomical as Styche and other signed by Tommy, I'd argue we could get much better value for money, as excellent as he is.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4649
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Clearly one of our better players last season (although that isn’t saying much).

Couple of points though.

1. Clearly he was doing a lot of travelling which AA has suggested previously he wasn’t keen on.

2. We never really sorted out Nicholson’s best position under TW. Most suggest it was number 10, but we never fully nailed it down in my opinion.

Personally, as much as he was our top scorer and was one of our better performers, I’m not devastated by this. If we’ve got Hopson, or someone else lined up, I think we’ll cope fine.

I’m more struggling with extending his deal by a year, only to release him weeks after. Presumably we have someone lined up, and with Nicholson being on a decent wedge (given TW spread a “competitive” budget across a smallish squad), we were able to let him go. Plus with a new manager and plenty of driving ahead, Nicholson may well have wanted to start afresh.

It’s probably a move that suits all parties.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan
Posts: 2863
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 am

I think that last sentence sums it up. A load of factors have come together, not the least of which is that Nicholson won't be here next season because he doesn't want to be here next season. The factors probably include that he's got himself sorted with a better option that suits him better. I'm sure the prospect of commuting from Peterborough for Tuesday night training and home matches for another year wasn't the most appealing for him, coupled with the fact that TW has now gone. Quite honestly that kind of commuting is insane. It's better for the club, players and AA that we have a squad centred on a reasonable travelling distance.

When you read AA's comments it is very clear that action needed to be taken to get better value for money within the squad to make sure that we don't end up in that dreadful situation like last season with a small, unbalanced squad because of poor allocation of the budget. We've entrusted him to sort this out, get better value for money and rejig a squad that after a decent budget last season left us flirting with relegation for a fair bit of the time. AA's used to getting the best from a tight budget and I trust him to do it here. I think the club will see the benefit of his practical approach to the problems he has inherited.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:50 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 am
I think that last sentence sums it up. A load of factors have come together, not the least of which is that Nicholson won't be here next season because he doesn't want to be here next season. The factors probably include that he's got himself sorted with a better option that suits him better. I'm sure the prospect of commuting from Peterborough for Tuesday night training and home matches for another year wasn't the most appealing for him, coupled with the fact that TW has now gone. Quite honestly that kind of commuting is insane. It's better for the club, players and AA that we have a squad centred on a reasonable travelling distance.

When you read AA's comments it is very clear that action needed to be taken to get better value for money within the squad to make sure that we don't end up in that dreadful situation like last season with a small, unbalanced squad because of poor allocation of the budget. We've entrusted him to sort this out, get better value for money and rejig a squad that after a decent budget last season left us flirting with relegation for a fair bit of the time. AA's used to getting the best from a tight budget and I trust him to do it here. I think the club will see the benefit of his practical approach to the problems he has inherited.
Agree.

Can't believe that some people have been kicking off about Nicholson leaving really, it's now clear that most if not all of TW's signings were on too much money, and most were weak willed midgets from down south.

Let's not forget that last September we had a bench full of 16 year olds who we didn't dare use because TW had amassed a tiny squad out of a 330 grand budget, and as soon as there was a couple of injuries we were down to bare bones.

I don't think we'll quite get 2 for 1 but I see AA's logic.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

On the pitch, it's a shame, as he's obviously a decent player. But when you factor in the wages and the commute, it seems a sensible move, particularly as he's not an irreplaceable talent

AndyPark
Posts: 11470
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:37 am

Manager Alun Armstrong said, "Jordan asked to leave because he didn't want to do the travelling. He was in touch with me as soon as I started the job."

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

Where did he say that Andy?
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

al_quaker
Posts: 5354
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 am

Official site

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

Ah right, there you go.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 3930
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Nicholson is a good player and scored some tasty goals, but the times when he shone the most were the times when we were weak up front and there was no one else available to cut through opposition defences. In some of the later games of last season it seemed our only tactic was to get the ball to him - which is not a good state of affairs.

It's strikers we need now.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2740
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:25 pm

Tom Elliot has gone to Hedensford Town

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


bga
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by bga » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:54 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:37 am
Manager Alun Armstrong said, "Jordan asked to leave because he didn't want to do the travelling. He was in touch with me as soon as I started the job."
What is even mote confusing is why AA gave him a new contract, which presumably meant we might get a transfer fee if/when he left. Then his contacted is mutually terminated, which means he is a free Agent, and we get nothing? Don't think any of us want players who don't want to play for us but wonder whether we missed an opportunity here? On balance I trust in AA's judgement to do what was best for the Club.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Nicholson's contract was extended by the club when we didn't have a manager - it was nothing to do with AA, and so AA started on day 1 with Nicholson contracted yet wanting to leave
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

bga
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by bga » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Nicholson's contract was extended by the club when we didn't have a manager - it was nothing to do with AA, and so AA started on day 1 with Nicholson contracted yet wanting to leave
Sorry and thanks. I mis-interpted Gramps comment above about "extending his contract a few weeks earlier" to mean that was after AA joined us. My mistake.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1746
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Nicholson's contract was extended by the club when we didn't have a manager - it was nothing to do with AA, and so AA started on day 1 with Nicholson contracted yet wanting to leave
The right decision to release him, we need players who want to play for the club and regain that team spirit we had a few years ago under MG.Looks very much like this is exactly what AA is trying to do going for lads closer to home .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


jjljks
Posts: 1503
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by jjljks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Nico was coming through well & as someone pointed out, our major goal threat up front at the end of last season. No doubt that excessive travelling contributed to our problems on the pitch last season. Too often we fielded a team who played like strangers and the strain of doing 4-6 hours commute on the A1 or M62 could not have helped. Hopefully, AA's policy of getting local talent in will see us make significant improvement on the pitch, also assist with developing our own Academy players by giving them some new local heroes to aspire to.

Anway, all the best to Nico in his future career, wherever he goes. Again, I hope that sell-on clause was included as he did have potential to play in a higher league (and we need the dosh!)

AndyPark
Posts: 11470
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:06 pm

He was released. We won’t get any fees for him in the future.

bga
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by bga » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:35 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:06 pm
He was released. We won’t get any fees for him in the future.
Or now when he finds a new Club?

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Jordan Nicholson released

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm

No, why would we? He was mutually released from his contract. He wanted to go, we wanted him off the wage bill.

We can't have it both ways.

The only way to get a fee for him would have been to refuse to cancel his contract.
We are Darlo! We know our shitt! If we say it's 1-2-0-1-1-3-0-1-1 then you better believe it! La la la oo, la la la oo (clap, clap, clap, clap)

Post Reply