What is clear....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: What is clear....

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:27 pm

Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 am
That reads like AA is getting very frustrated in his efforts to sign a team. I hope his propensity to vent his frustrations, and criticise players at this level, doesn't come back to bite him. It's not a great approach to recruitment.
He hasn’t criticised players at this level.

He’s criticising the over-inflated player market at the moment.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:27 pm
Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 am
That reads like AA is getting very frustrated in his efforts to sign a team. I hope his propensity to vent his frustrations, and criticise players at this level, doesn't come back to bite him. It's not a great approach to recruitment.
He hasn’t criticised players at this level.

He’s criticising the over-inflated player market at the moment.
Except he has:

"Excessive wage demands are a factor in Darlington’s summer recruitment drive stalling, admits Alun Armstrong."

“Some of the players I’m speaking to are a lot more expensive than they should be...... Because it’s us they think they can get more money."

“You need players in, but you want the ones who want to play for Darlington, not for the money."

That's not just criticising the player market, but the attitude, demands and expectations of some of the players he'd like to sign. Which is fair comment I suppose, although I'd perhaps advise a lot more circumspection in his public comments.
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:22 pm

I don’t mind that. Those deals were probably a write-off the minute they entered negotiations and the players/agents wanted silly money. There is probably not much chance of both parties going back to the deal, and we move on to other targets or players that we can afford and want to be here.

We have been a gravy train for the last two years now, with silly money paid for bang-average players that didn’t give their all. Even if we have to move down to transfer target number 3 or 4 down on the list, it’s better than succumbing to the wage demands of others regarded as better.

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:22 pm
I don’t mind that. Those deals were probably a write-off the minute they entered negotiations and the players/agents wanted silly money. There is probably not much chance of both parties going back to the deal, and we move on to other targets or players that we can afford and want to be here.

We have been a gravy train for the last two years now, with silly money paid for bang-average players that didn’t give their all. Even if we have to move down to transfer target number 3 or 4 down on the list, it’s better than succumbing to the wage demands of others regarded as better.
Well said, we want footballers that want to play and improve and fit without problems not like Tommy’s 2 most expensive signings who were completely unfit when he signed them.Due diligently was certainly not done on those signings.