Salford city cup draw

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Mister e
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford city cup draw

Post by Mister e » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:04 pm

What a surprise first ever entry into a football league competition Leeds United at home a probable sell out wonder which one of the class of 92 provided the brown envelope for that draw.

dfcdfcdfc
Posts: 485
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:45 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 am

I wonder if there will be any TV coverage!!

Comfortably_numb
Posts: 1862
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:23 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:41 am

Plucky Salford...

Emdubya
Posts: 668
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:12 am

The fairytale continues.Against all the odds this plucky little club continues to rise :roll:

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:29 am

dfcdfcdfc wrote:I wonder if there will be any TV coverage!!
Opening league game being shown on sky apparently.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Quaker85
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Quaker85 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 am

I’m sure their demise will be just as spectacular when the billionaire and his mates get bored and pull the plug.

It’s the genuine hard core fans who’s club has been hijacked I feel sorry for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:02 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 am
I’m sure their demise will be just as spectacular when the billionaire and his mates get bored and pull the plug.

It’s the genuine hard core fans who’s club has been hijacked I feel sorry for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You say that the billionaire will got bored but will he? He doesn't have a great amount of involvement from my understanding other than signing cheques. And to a billionaire it's probably not putting a dent in this cashflow

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:07 pm

The luck of the draw? If a group of rich ex pros and a billionaire had taken over from Singh don't think we'd have been complaining. They're often seen standing with the fans, seem passionate about the team and have built a lovely ground. I also believe in what we're doing.

AndyPark
Posts: 11451
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by AndyPark » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:03 pm

#AgainstAllOdds
18/19 Season:
LDWDLDLWDLLWWWDDDDLLLLWDWWLWDLLDWDLDLLWLLWWWLD

*includes all cup games*

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Yes, like when we were pulled out of the hat as lucky losers!

murtonquaker
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:08 am
Team Supported: Mighty Darlo

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by murtonquaker » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Good luck to Salford...Hope it works out for them, I would not be bothered if we never crossed paths with them again...

To me, they are like the guy no girl wants, but come into money and the same girls see nothing but Pound Notes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk


biccynana
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by biccynana » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Zero f*cks given.
"I asked for a drink. That's a wet glass. Bring me a proper drink." Lt Cdr EKR S, March 1963.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:17 am

D_F_C wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 am
I’m sure their demise will be just as spectacular when the billionaire and his mates get bored and pull the plug.

It’s the genuine hard core fans who’s club has been hijacked I feel sorry for.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You say that the billionaire will got bored but will he? He doesn't have a great amount of involvement from my understanding other than signing cheques. And to a billionaire it's probably not putting a dent in this cashflow
I find it rather unedifying for some people to be wishing financial ruin on a club, particularly after everything that happened with us.

I agree with you, I can’t see the money men getting bored any time soon. The Class of 92 have too much to lose reputationally to allow a financial crisis to occur. And given their profile, if Lim ever decided he’d had enough, they’d easily find another backer, and you’d think they’d be willing to add more in themselves.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

shildonlad
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by shildonlad » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:08 pm

The media are going to make a meal of them. Can imagine pundits and commentators its a fairytale story from 9th tier to league 2 is less than 20 year. With there backing its hardly a fairytale. Also i cant recall a league two game been shown on sky on the opening day of the season before especially a newly promoted team. The brown envelopes sure have been out
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6041
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by loan_star » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:16 am

shildonlad wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:08 pm
The media are going to make a meal of them. Can imagine pundits and commentators its a fairytale story from 9th tier to league 2 is less than 20 year. With there backing its hardly a fairytale. Also i cant recall a league two game been shown on sky on the opening day of the season before especially a newly promoted team. The brown envelopes sure have been out
This. Already getting another financial boost that they don’t need, that no other newly promoted club has ever had at that level. It stinks.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:17 am

There is a difference though, and it’s that no other club has been promoted with the backing of major football personalities like Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Gary Neville (who just so happens to be a pundit for Sky).

That’s the reason, and whether you like it or not, it does make it more of a story. A) They’ve had massive success (Step 4 to EFL in five years is a good achievement, regardless of the money spent). And B) The class of 92 make it recognisable to your ordinary fans.

Macclesfield getting promoted with a load of players and staff most people haven’t heard of isn’t that interesting. Salford being taken from non-league into the EFL, by some of the leading and best-known figures in the game, is a lot more interesting to your ordinary fan, who usually wouldn’t give a monkeys about League Two.

There’s a lot of people on here coming across as bitter, sticking their bottom lips out and claiming it’s all the result of some sinister conspiracy.

Yes it’s all a little sycophantic and the “against all odds” narrative is plainly ridiculous. But then again people whinge Sky aren’t interested in anything outside the Premier League. Then when they do offer coverage, they still get criticised.

If it happened to Darlo, none of us would be complaining. We’d be lapping it up. Indeed some of the people complaining in this thread are some who’ve wanted us to abandon fan ownership and bring in a rich benefactor, largely so we can get to Salford’s level quicker.

Let them crack on with it is what I say.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:49 am

So the “ordinary” fan doesn’t give a monkeys about league 2?

That’s a bit condescending wouldn’t you say?

Sky has always been about appealing to the masses though. Why not it’s a good business model but the fact remains that league 2 wouldn’t be televised live at all if it wasn’t for the international breaks and playoffs. That’s why people are agitated at them showing Salford’s debut as they pass on through the leagues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawry
Posts: 2586
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by shawry » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:08 am

Quaker85 wrote:So the “ordinary” fan doesn’t give a monkeys about league 2?

That’s a bit condescending wouldn’t you say?

Sky has always been about appealing to the masses though. Why not it’s a good business model but the fact remains that league 2 wouldn’t be televised live at all if it wasn’t for the international breaks and playoffs. That’s why people are agitated at them showing Salford’s debut as they pass on through the leagues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Showing the Salford game will get more viewers than most (probably all) of the other games. It makes it cost effective, and may mean if its a decent game extra viewers tune in to subsequent games.

People need to let go of this 'poor us' mentality.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk


Quaker85
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:16 am

Highlighting a disproportionate amount of media coverage by a public broadcaster doesn’t automatically translate into a poor us mentality. There’s more to this than the feelings of a couple of thousand Darlington fans.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:45 am

Quaker85 wrote:So the “ordinary” fan doesn’t give a monkeys about league 2?

That’s a bit condescending wouldn’t you say?
Nope, because it’s perfectly true.

If they did, we’d have League 2 on our TV screens regularly with much higher attendances in grounds. But we don’t.

As such, the vast majority of your regular fans, beyond the hardcore for each club, don’t particularly care about League Two. It’s why it gets little coverage in comparison to say the Championship.

If you’re able to demonstrate otherwise, be my guest.
Quaker85 wrote: Sky has always been about appealing to the masses though. Why not it’s a good business model but the fact remains that league 2 wouldn’t be televised live at all if it wasn’t for the international breaks and playoffs. That’s why people are agitated at them showing Salford’s debut as they pass on through the leagues.
There’s a contradiction in your argument here. First you say regular fans care about League Two, but then admit Sky don’t show League Two because there’s not enough interest.

As said, the Salford story is different to your other League 2 clubs. Salford are making their debut in the EFL, at home, after a run of promotions and with backing from incredibly well-known figures. This is the context you need to look at it in.

It’s not a regular story, hence why the broadcasters are more interested in Salford than they would be Morecambe or Northampton, for example, with the greatest of respect to those clubs.

Frankly, the “agitation” as you put it, just sounds like bitterness and jealousy.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Quaker85 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Not really a contradiction because I was referring to supporters of league 2 clubs as ordinary fans. Skys armchair army aren’t really fans at all but that’s another argument.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:00 pm

See, I find that attitude, deciding who is or isn't a "real" fan to be quite condescending. Maybe try practising what you preach.

Sky's armchair army, as you put it, has largely emerged because they're priced out of going to matches, so Sky is the only way they can follow their clubs.

If someone feels an affinity to a Premier League club, be that Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle, Chelsea or whoever, they're entitled to that. But given the price of tickets, parking, food etc, plus the sheer competition to get tickets (if you're not already paying subscription fees/membership fees to Man Utd or Liverpool, you ain't getting a ticket for their PL games), it is impossible for a lot of people to physically go and see the club they support.

Hence why they watch on Sky or wherever. That doesn't make them any less of a football fan. It's just the way it is. Man Utd have millions of fans - they can't all physically get into Old Trafford.

There's a small-minded, pitchfork mentality that pervades lower down the leagues - some supporters of clubs further down the pyramid think they're "proper" or "better" fans because they support a team with less money. It's not the case. Everyone is a "real" football fan, it's just different at different levels.

Plus, the number of people who primarily follow Premier League clubs far outnumber those in League Two, for instance. So who are the "ordinary" fans? I take them to be your regular fans of football at whichever level, but by simple logic the majority of those will support Premier League/top half Championship clubs.

I know we're going off on a tangent a bit, but the debate is relevant to the initial point. But I don't agree with the idea of one particular group of supporters being "proper" fans at all.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Mister e
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Mister e » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm

Hmm this massive massive Salford city side that took a following of around 300 fans to Hartlepool last season on the final day when they still had a chance to clinch the vanarama national League title give me our fans owned model over this bunch of drastic plastics anyday.

shildonlad
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by shildonlad » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:09 pm

If sky televised a game from league 2 every year on the opening day of the season then fair enough, but they dont but seem to make an exception this year for Salford who had one of if not the worst play off final attendance at wembley. The team promoted as champions, leyton orient have a much bigger fan base yet they aint on. If it was any other team going from 8th tier to league 2 you would probably not see them on sky.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

Mister e
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:08 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Mister e » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Sheldon lad you've hit the nail right on the head Salford city's game isn't even match of the day in league two on the opening day of the season that mantle has to go to Newport county Vs Mansfield town who took part in two feisty play off semi finals last season. Watch sky also select the above mentioned Leeds United cup tie for live coverage had well. Your always going to be wealthy when the powers that be keep throwing free meal tickets to you.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:16 pm

shildonlad wrote:If sky televised a game from league 2 every year on the opening day of the season then fair enough, but they dont but seem to make an exception this year for Salford who had one of if not the worst play off final attendance at wembley. The team promoted as champions, leyton orient have a much bigger fan base yet they aint on. If it was any other team going from 8th tier to league 2 you would probably not see them on sky.
I’ve explained fairly clearly and reasonably why Salford are being screened but seemingly it’s passed you over.

Play off final attendance has nothing to do with it. Fan base has nothing to do with it. By that logic, the TV companies would never screen non-league sides in the FA Cup first round. Gateshead and Warrington barely scramble 1,000 between them, yet were on BT when they played in the FA Cup 2nd round in 2014. Why? Because Tier 8 Warrington making that stage was a good story.

I bet you weren’t complaining about TV selections then.

It’s the same with Salford. Like it or not, football fans are interested in some of football’s biggest names taking a tier 8 club into the EFL. Salford will be making their EFL debut, at home and with the likes of Beckham et al in attendance.

It’s a good story whether you like it or not. They won’t be screening them every week so I really don’t get your issue. Jealousy is the only explanation.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Mister e wrote:Sheldon lad you've hit the nail right on the head Salford city's game isn't even match of the day in league two on the opening day of the season that mantle has to go to Newport county Vs Mansfield town who took part in two feisty play off semi finals last season. Watch sky also select the above mentioned Leeds United cup tie for live coverage had well. Your always going to be wealthy when the powers that be keep throwing free meal tickets to you.
You’ve not read a single word I’ve written.

If Sky didn’t select Salford v Leeds, they’d be failing in their duty as broadcasters and journalists. It’s clearly the best tie of the round.

As for Newport v Mansfield, beyond their supporters, no one cares. People aren’t going to stop their days to watch that. But people are interested in the Class of 92 and the transformation of Salford as a club.

Jealousy is such an ugly characteristic.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by Quaker85 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:38 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm
Mister e wrote:Sheldon lad you've hit the nail right on the head Salford city's game isn't even match of the day in league two on the opening day of the season that mantle has to go to Newport county Vs Mansfield town who took part in two feisty play off semi finals last season. Watch sky also select the above mentioned Leeds United cup tie for live coverage had well. Your always going to be wealthy when the powers that be keep throwing free meal tickets to you.
You’ve not read a single word I’ve written.

If Sky didn’t select Salford v Leeds, they’d be failing in their duty as broadcasters and journalists. It’s clearly the best tie of the round.

As for Newport v Mansfield, beyond their supporters, no one cares. People aren’t going to stop their days to watch that. But people are interested in the Class of 92 and the transformation of Salford as a club.

Jealousy is such an ugly characteristic.
Gramps, your argument is circular. People are only interested in the class of 92 and Salford because the tv media keep ramming it down our throats and the sheeple buy into it. If all they got is a few column inches in the Guardian, no-one would be talking about it beyond the die hards who attend lower league matches week in week out and a few lads down the pub. The media coverage is over the top and unwarranted. End of!

User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Salford city cup draw

Post by D_F_C » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:05 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:38 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm
Mister e wrote:Sheldon lad you've hit the nail right on the head Salford city's game isn't even match of the day in league two on the opening day of the season that mantle has to go to Newport county Vs Mansfield town who took part in two feisty play off semi finals last season. Watch sky also select the above mentioned Leeds United cup tie for live coverage had well. Your always going to be wealthy when the powers that be keep throwing free meal tickets to you.
You’ve not read a single word I’ve written.

If Sky didn’t select Salford v Leeds, they’d be failing in their duty as broadcasters and journalists. It’s clearly the best tie of the round.

As for Newport v Mansfield, beyond their supporters, no one cares. People aren’t going to stop their days to watch that. But people are interested in the Class of 92 and the transformation of Salford as a club.

Jealousy is such an ugly characteristic.
Gramps, your argument is circular. People are only interested in the class of 92 and Salford because the tv media keep ramming it down our throats and the sheeple buy into it. If all they got is a few column inches in the Guardian, no-one would be talking about it beyond the die hards who attend lower league matches week in week out and a few lads down the pub. The media coverage is over the top and unwarranted. End of!
I actually agree with Gramps on this. Sky sports will have sat down and seen that Salford have a billionaire owner, the class of 92, & a story behind them (not the fairytale that they might make it out to be). If you compare them with most in league 2, it makes business sense from sky sports to put their story forward. Plus they know about the BBC documentary that a lot of football fans will have watched.

We don't like it, because it goes against how our football club is run, plus the fact that they are (I'm sorry to say) are above our level

Darlogramps
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford city cup draw

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:28 pm
Mister e wrote:Sheldon lad you've hit the nail right on the head Salford city's game isn't even match of the day in league two on the opening day of the season that mantle has to go to Newport county Vs Mansfield town who took part in two feisty play off semi finals last season. Watch sky also select the above mentioned Leeds United cup tie for live coverage had well. Your always going to be wealthy when the powers that be keep throwing free meal tickets to you.
You’ve not read a single word I’ve written.

If Sky didn’t select Salford v Leeds, they’d be failing in their duty as broadcasters and journalists. It’s clearly the best tie of the round.

As for Newport v Mansfield, beyond their supporters, no one cares. People aren’t going to stop their days to watch that. But people are interested in the Class of 92 and the transformation of Salford as a club.

Jealousy is such an ugly characteristic.
Gramps, your argument is circular. People are only interested in the class of 92 and Salford because the tv media keep ramming it down our throats and the sheeple buy into it. If all they got is a few column inches in the Guardian, no-one would be talking about it beyond the die hards who attend lower league matches week in week out and a few lads down the pub. The media coverage is over the top and unwarranted. End of!
Ah yes, the old “it’s being rammed down the throat” argument. Yes, Sky are really going overboard by ermmmm.....screening two matches on a subscription service, which people have to sign up for, specifically to watch sport.

Now compare Salford getting two matches to the wall-to-wall Premier League coverage on Sky. Hardly being “rammed down the throat”.

Interestingly “rammed down the throat” is used by the precious misogynists (let’s call them football gammon) to describe Women’s World Cup coverage, even though it’s considerably less than the men’s tournament 12 months ago. This is very similar behaviour.

So you’re going to have to do better than stamping your feet and saying the coverage is over-the-top. You’ve not provided anything to support that, other than your jealousy and prejudices.

Shockingly, people think for themselves and have proven they are interested in the Salford story. Look at the viewing figures for the documentary. If you seriously think some of the most recognisable British footballers taking over an unfashionable non-League side and transforming them into an EFL outfit is only worthy of a few inches in the Guardian, you’re deluding yourself. It’s a great story to the regular football audience.

Quite simply, if you’re not interested, fine. Don’t watch it. No one is forcing you to. But attacking people who are interested as being “sheeple” and squealing something is being “rammed down your throat” when you can simply not watch it, just makes you look rather silly.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Post Reply