New signings and outgoings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:32 pm

The 2 managers are poles apart,AA is doing a great job imo putting a good looking squad together after picking up the pieces of shambolic recruiting by Tommy.These 2 are total opposites and I honestly think we would have had another relegation fight on our hands if DJ had not made his decision.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Yes both very different but let’s wait until the season starts and results come in until any judgements.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:31 pm

Surely we need to temper our expectations this season. AA has made a good start and I believe will build a team that plays for each other and is fit, but he has had to start from the beginning in building for this season, our budget doesn't allow us to compete with a fair number of "local" non league sides and therefore limits his ability to compete for all players he would want and will be relying on his persuasive capabilities a lot of the time, so suspect this will be a year of stability. For me a top ten place with good football (and home wins) and a couple of rounds of a cup run (not the Durham Cup), Would be a good year building the team for the season after. Anything more would be fantastic. We need money in the bank before promotion I feel.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 pm

50 years wrote:Surely we need to temper our expectations this season. AA has made a good start and I believe will build a team that plays for each other and is fit, but he has had to start from the beginning in building for this season, our budget doesn't allow us to compete with a fair number of "local" non league sides and therefore limits his ability to compete for all players he would want and will be relying on his persuasive capabilities a lot of the time, so suspect this will be a year of stability. For me a top ten place with good football (and home wins) and a couple of rounds of a cup run (not the Durham Cup), Would be a good year building the team for the season after. Anything more would be fantastic. We need money in the bank before promotion I feel.
I think most would be very happy with top 10, trying to play an entertaining style of football and a cup run.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:58 pm
quakersfan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:44 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm
If Trotman goes and we successfully move on Burn and Glover, then the only first team players remaining would be Thompson, Wheatley and Galbraith!

This really highlights what a cobbled together mess that Wright made of his signings, so much so that AA needed to have a complete and utter clear out. And the 3 remaining players were all signed before the Wright era.
That’s a bit unfair if Wright was still here he would have strengthened the squad and lost a few. At this level players play for mangers they like and respect look at all the Blyth players who have followed Armstrong. We are where we are with not much left on the budget however a decent fee for Trotman will help if the money goes into the playing budget. However as far as I can see we are in roughly financially in the same position as last year entering the start of the season. Bring a friend Saturday and help boost the coffers.
Yes I’m sure Wright would have “strengthened “us with a couple more overpaid midgets from the midlands on two year deals.
When will you Tommy Boy fans finally realize the man was an absolutely abject failure as a manager
You missed out "pea-hearted" - it goes in between "overpaid" and "midgets"

If AA can breathe in and out he will be an improvement on Tommy Nice but Dim.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:34 am

The midgets tended to be the better players though.

He's gone, they've gone. Time to let go and move on.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm
We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in.
This I think, requires further explanation.

We have about 12 contracted players, how the fuck are we "right against the budget" already?

AA apparently is not offering the sort of money that TW and MG did in previous seasons. We've saved money on Nicholson and Ainge who were supposedly top earners. This does not add up.

I know the budget, whatever it is, is less this year and no doubt 80k from the fans will have been factored in to that calculation - but we raised 103k, where has the extra 23k gone? Into the budget or not? That's a decent extra player.

So yeah, how are we "right against budget" when we've only got maybe 2/3rds of a squad? Please tell me that the reason is because there are other signings already made who are using that budget up, who we just don't know about yet? *other than Elliott and Campbell*

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm not expecting any major signings at this point. Some young lads maybe released by the local big 3. Maybe a utility player or two. Holness perhaps. And a couple of loans, eventually. We're currently very light on players, but would expect us to have a core group of 15-16. There are some capable players on our books, and i hope we can push on for a top half finish. Not going out in the first round of every damned cup just for once might be a nice wish as well. Obviously that depends on the draw though.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm
quakersfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm
We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in.
This I think, requires further explanation.

We have about 12 contracted players, how the fuck are we "right against the budget" already?

AA apparently is not offering the sort of money that TW and MG did in previous seasons. We've saved money on Nicholson and Ainge who were supposedly top earners. This does not add up.

I know the budget, whatever it is, is less this year and no doubt 80k from the fans will have been factored in to that calculation - but we raised 103k, where has the extra 23k gone? Into the budget or not? That's a decent extra player.

So yeah, how are we "right against budget" when we've only got maybe 2/3rds of a squad? Please tell me that the reason is because there are other signings already made who are using that budget up, who we just don't know about yet? *other than Elliott and Campbell*

Didn't club say that unlike last year they are not committing all of the budget in the summer to allow flexibility to sign players as needed during the season?

That might explain the "right against budget" comment. i.e. right against that portion of budget made available at this stage. Last season the club were unable to refresh the squad because all of the budget was spent in the summer.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Don’t like the Tommy bashing as he was a decent bloke but it didn’t work out for various reasons.Every new Manager builds their own Team so hope AA gets the breaks.

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:40 pm

leedscol wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm
Don’t like the Tommy bashing as he was a decent bloke but it didn’t work out for various reasons.Every new Manager builds their own Team so hope AA gets the breaks.
The fact he was a decent bloke certainly does not mean he was a good manager.He proved by his signings and tactics that he was a poor manager.He did not do due diligence with his signings,and was to soft in his management of players.A likeable man but lacked some management skills.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Tell you what. I've done a bit of TW bashing here, but i will say this in his favour. Darlington Football Club is in a better state the way he left it, than the way Martin Gray left it. We are financially in a better place, and relatively stable in this division. The stadium is where it needs to be, the academy is where it needs to be, and while having to fork out a few quid on Ainge (and, i suspect Burn) this year isn't the best, it is nothing on what MG left us with. Ultimately TW made some stinking signings last summer which is ultimately what led us to a point where we didn't seek to renew his contract. We also had to cut the budget mid season as crowds dropped - as the football and the results were not what they could have been. He was, however, dealt a really crappy hand by his predecessor and we shouldn't forget that.

Darlogramps

New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Personally I think that’s more down to David Johnston and the board deciding to get a grip of the finances, rather than anything TW did though.

TW was simply working with what he was given. If the board had given him a MG-level budget, he wouldn’t have said no.

MG had too much influence, which can be seen in the unsustainable budgets we had. As soon as he left, DJ moved instantly to stabilise the budget to something we could actually afford.

Not knocking TW (for once) and I agree completely he inherited difficult circumstances, and at least he was willing to work in those difficult circumstances. But I guess I’m saying the club being in a more stable financial state is more down to DJ and the board, rather than TW.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Bottom line is the club is heading in the right direction. We have DJ and the board, DFCSG, AA and the fans all pulling in the same direction. It’s been a turbulent couple of seasons but I think we’re heading for calmer waters now. Thats it, Ive run out of cliches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk