New signings and outgoings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

en passant
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by en passant » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 am

So we are two weeks away from our first friendly of the new season where we will get a chance to see what we are building. As we are no longer under Wright there has been a wave of optimism created by having a new man at the helm who has a better record of steering his side to the upper part of this league and who has brought in half of the team that helped him do that. That seems undoubtedly positive. On the negative side he failed to get his first choice goalkeeper and goalscorer in, and has left us taking chances on players that might be considered risky investments (I am assuming that the Campbell signing is ongoing). Once again we are having to accept that a lack of money means that we may be hampered in a couple of key areas such as these. Last year we had some well performing players, such as Thommo, Nicholson and Trots, but had weakness in those vital areas, lacking an out and out goalscorer and a reliable keeper. I am just a bit wary of assuming that AA will find a way to overcome these faults this year, as clearly the budget will tie his hands and limit our potential. Looking forward to seeing what the new set up looks like but a bit concerned that having gone backwards in the goal getting department from where we began last season that I hope there is still something left in the budget to change things if we don't find the winning formula from the off.

Darlo_CR
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlo_CR » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

en passant wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:42 am
So we are two weeks away from our first friendly of the new season where we will get a chance to see what we are building. As we are no longer under Wright there has been a wave of optimism created by having a new man at the helm who has a better record of steering his side to the upper part of this league and who has brought in half of the team that helped him do that. That seems undoubtedly positive. On the negative side he failed to get his first choice goalkeeper and goalscorer in, and has left us taking chances on players that might be considered risky investments (I am assuming that the Campbell signing is ongoing). Once again we are having to accept that a lack of money means that we may be hampered in a couple of key areas such as these. Last year we had some well performing players, such as Thommo, Nicholson and Trots, but had weakness in those vital areas, lacking an out and out goalscorer and a reliable keeper. I am just a bit wary of assuming that AA will find a way to overcome these faults this year, as clearly the budget will tie his hands and limit our potential. Looking forward to seeing what the new set up looks like but a bit concerned that having gone backwards in the goal getting department from where we began last season that I hope there is still something left in the budget to change things if we don't find the winning formula from the off.
One key thing that DJ mentioned at the fans forum was that we aren't using up all of the budget before the season starts. There will be funds to work with if changes are required.

That is ultimately where TW shot himself in the foot and was faced to put kids on the bench.

quakermass
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by quakermass » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:44 pm

Unless AA can bring in a couple of decent forwards (and one with some height as our team is full of midgets) then we’ll struggle. I’m sure he’ll be looking at a few players but I’d hate to think we’re starting the season with no out and out centre forward in the side.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quakersfan
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by quakersfan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm

We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in. AA can work wonders with his players and bring the best out of them but no disrespect to Blyth the anticipation of DFC fans is a whole other league, let’s hope he can produce the goods this time round.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 pm

quakersfan wrote:We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in. AA can work wonders with his players and bring the best out of them but no disrespect to Blyth the anticipation of DFC fans is a whole other league, let’s hope he can produce the goods this time round.
Probably why he is trying to move players on This could be hindering AA in the transfer market so hopefully Ainge,Burn and Glover find new clubs asap .If so ,will free up a pretty hefty sum I would imagine.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


User avatar
HarrytheQuaker
Posts: 2683
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
quakersfan wrote:We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in. AA can work wonders with his players and bring the best out of them but no disrespect to Blyth the anticipation of DFC fans is a whole other league, let’s hope he can produce the goods this time round.
Probably why he is trying to move players on This could be hindering AA in the transfer market so hopefully Ainge,Burn and Glover find new clubs asap .If so ,will free up a pretty hefty sum I would imagine.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
And you know that for sure
.. I'd say Glover wasn't on a lot of money

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1695
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Well Ainge and Burn would not have been on peanuts and Glover would still be paid a half decent wage surely for playing hardly any games .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


tdk1
Posts: 1946
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by tdk1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm
We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in. AA can work wonders with his players and bring the best out of them but no disrespect to Blyth the anticipation of DFC fans is a whole other league, let’s hope he can produce the goods this time round.

We've only got about 12 players at the moment so I hope that includes money allocated for impending signings.

John woolnough posted a pic of a triallist on Twitter today with his face hidden. He appeared to be in what I think was an old ilkeston kit, if that helps...

User avatar
don'tbuythesun
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:05 am

We have 14 players based on Gramps sticky at the top of the board.

JE93
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by JE93 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:38 am

tdk1 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 pm
quakersfan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm
We are I’ve heard right against the budget so don’t expect any miracle forward coming in. AA can work wonders with his players and bring the best out of them but no disrespect to Blyth the anticipation of DFC fans is a whole other league, let’s hope he can produce the goods this time round.

We've only got about 12 players at the moment so I hope that includes money allocated for impending signings.

John woolnough posted a pic of a triallist on Twitter today with his face hidden. He appeared to be in what I think was an old ilkeston kit, if that helps...
Think someone identified him as Tevahn Tyrell. A 6'3 CF from Bermuda who had previously been with Ilkeston and Hucknall while he was studying at Derby uni.

tdk1
Posts: 1946
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by tdk1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:48 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:05 am
We have 14 players based on Gramps sticky at the top of the board.
Let's be honest though, burn and glover aren't playing for us this season.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1605
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:56 am


en passant
Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:17 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by en passant » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:06 am

If we are "up against the budget" as reported above we badly need to release Glover, Ainge and Burn to make any progress towards having the bare bones of a team. If we assume that two of the three are on top wack then you might get 5 from 3 on more reasonable wages, but you can't expect big signings under those conditions. So we could end up with 16. But that would probably mean that the best we could do for a main striker would be someone like Campbell who would be less of a sure thing for goals, and we would still only have 16 players. If this is truly where we are then we are going to quickly need loan signings as soon as we get any injuries. I do hope that AA can get some magic going under these circumstances but it has to be noted that what he achieved at Blyth was done with reliable goal getter and goalkeeper and we don't look like being able to afford this.

bga
Posts: 1214
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by bga » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:05 am
We have 14 players based on Gramps sticky at the top of the board.
Make that 13 until Club confirm that Elliot has signed! Still waiting........

LoidLucan
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:23 am

At least AA knew exactly what he was inheriting. He did say he was facing a massive summer rebuilding job and he's piecing his way through the inherited problems from TW as best he can with the resources available. Thank God Boost The Budget was such a big success, it doesn't bear thinking about what it would have been like without that.

Beano
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:33 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Beano » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:30 am

en passant wrote:If we are "up against the budget" as reported above we badly need to release Glover, Ainge and Burn to make any progress towards having the bare bones of a team. If we assume that two of the three are on top wack then you might get 5 from 3 on more reasonable wages, but you can't expect big signings under those conditions. So we could end up with 16. But that would probably mean that the best we could do for a main striker would be someone like Campbell who would be less of a sure thing for goals, and we would still only have 16 players. If this is truly where we are then we are going to quickly need loan signings as soon as we get any injuries. I do hope that AA can get some magic going under these circumstances but it has to be noted that what he achieved at Blyth was done with reliable goal getter and goalkeeper and we don't look like being able to afford this.
I certainly wouldn’t describe Chris Elliott as an unreliable goalkeepers - the fans of his former clubs describe him as exactly the opposite.

However, I agree that we do need someone who can put the ball in the net; whether we can sign someone who can, or not, will potentially define our season. Our budget is likely to mean we have to gamble on someone unproven.

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1605
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:40 am

A bit of luck would be nice in the guise of a centre forward who is unproven but starts banging them in I.e. We're the start of the upward trajectory in their career, like David Currie or Garry MacDonald. Both had had a couple of lean years but then something clicked. Hopefully if Adam Campbell signs then this happens to him.

knoxy5000
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by knoxy5000 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:29 am

What if AA can get Ainge playing like he did at Harrogate?. Let's not forget before he came to us he had a couple of good scoring seasons. More than the 12 we've had last season.
Keep the faith!

ex-exile
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:38 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by ex-exile » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:54 am

knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:29 am
What if AA can get Ainge playing like he did at Harrogate?. Let's not forget before he came to us he had a couple of good scoring seasons. More than the 12 we've had last season.
Keep the faith!
His injuries have slowed him down,and he would have to be a lot fitter than last season, so I think his best years have gone.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:36 pm

knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:29 am
What if AA can get Ainge playing like he did at Harrogate?. Let's not forget before he came to us he had a couple of good scoring seasons. More than the 12 we've had last season.
Keep the faith!
We’re 18 months and a serious groin injury from the last time Ainge showed any serious goal-scoring form. He struggled playing alongside one of the best centre-forwards in the league in Reece Styche at the beginning of last season and his inclusion in the side just led to a more direct approach.

Centre-half, or not at all.

Lallacab
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Lallacab » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:36 pm
knoxy5000 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:29 am
What if AA can get Ainge playing like he did at Harrogate?. Let's not forget before he came to us he had a couple of good scoring seasons. More than the 12 we've had last season.
Keep the faith!
We’re 18 months and a serious groin injury from the last time Ainge showed any serious goal-scoring form. He struggled playing alongside one of the best centre-forwards in the league in Reece Styche at the beginning of last season and his inclusion in the side just led to a more direct approach.

Centre-half, or not at all.
For me we need to move him on if we can. One of the top earners and in my opinion that cash could / should be spent better

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:31 pm

JE93 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am
tdk1 wrote:Watson strikes me as an odd signing, as I think he'll be second choice no matter what position he plays. He never looked like a centre back to me. I think (hope) Armstrong goes with the 4-3-3 he has played before, as the wide options we have up front seem well suited to it. So Watson will probably be second choice unless liddle is going into midfield or something.
I don’t necessarily agree with you on Watson. If we presume Burn is leaving, that leaves us with 5 out-and-out defenders, plus Ainge (who I’m convinced AA will play up front in pre-season) and Atkinson. That’s a good amount to cover in defence.

As Ghost says, it only takes a couple of injuries or suspensions and you can start looking thin. Plus we’ll need to rotate in August as the fixture list is very concentrated in the first month.

So I suspect Watson will see plenty of game time.

TBH, I don’t think we’re a million miles away now. A couple of midfield reinforcements and possibly another forward after Campbell (Kneeshaw?) and we’re just about there.
Think that's pretty bang on gramps. Think he will play similarly to what he had at Blyth. 4-2-3-1 with a fairly fluid and mobile front 4 he had Dale LW (okay he's slowing down a bit but still quality), Reid CAM, Rivers RW and Macguire CF. On that basis think we need about 3 players for the start of the season.
- A box to box CM
- a CAM
- a second CF

If you think about it in terms of position cover.
GK: Elliott, Hall
RB: Trotman, Atkinson
LB: Liddle, Watson, Galbraith
CB: Liang, Galbraith, Ainge
CM: Wheatley, Atkinson
RW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
LW: Rivers, Thompson, Holmes
CAM: -
CF: Campbell

An emergency winger or GK on loan I think youd be able to find quick easily in one of the NE academies once the season starts to cover off any injuries.

That would let us start the season as:

----------------------------------- Elliott ------------------------------
Trotman ----------- Liang ------- Galbraith ------- Liddle
--------------------- Atkinson ------ Wheatley -----------------
Rivers ---------------------- CAM ----------------- Thompson
------------------------------ Campbell ------------------------------

Subs: Hall, Ainge, Watson, CM, Holmes
As suggested by myself, that CAM will be Thompson, AA has confirmed it in the Echo. Campbell will be number 9 and Thompson will be in and behind in a number 10 role.

That paves the way for Holmes and Rivers as the wide men.

If we move Ainge, Burn and Glover on then I think we will look to sign another couple of central midfielders, a back up striker and another defender.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

quakersfan
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by quakersfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Trots may be on his way due to all the travelling. If true we should get a decent fee for him though.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Be a sad loss but we can't blame him. Especially now he'd be making a 6 hour round trip 2 or 3 times a week, all by himself.

If we get a fee and he moves up a league or two then it's good all round.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

LoidLucan
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:09 pm

Ainge, season long loan Boston on official site.

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm

If Trotman goes and we successfully move on Burn and Glover, then the only first team players remaining would be Thompson, Wheatley and Galbraith!

This really highlights what a cobbled together mess that Wright made of his signings, so much so that AA needed to have a complete and utter clear out. And the 3 remaining players were all signed before the Wright era.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

50 years
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by 50 years » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:55 pm

Wonder where the Trotman rumour came from?
If true we do have cover for that position but hope we get a good fee for him and future sell on clauses. He can only get better with more training time, as it would have been limited at Darlo due to the travelling and mid week games (don't think they trained if they had mid week game?)

quakersfan
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by quakersfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm
If Trotman goes and we successfully move on Burn and Glover, then the only first team players remaining would be Thompson, Wheatley and Galbraith!

This really highlights what a cobbled together mess that Wright made of his signings, so much so that AA needed to have a complete and utter clear out. And the 3 remaining players were all signed before the Wright era.
That’s a bit unfair if Wright was still here he would have strengthened the squad and lost a few. At this level players play for mangers they like and respect look at all the Blyth players who have followed Armstrong. We are where we are with not much left on the budget however a decent fee for Trotman will help if the money goes into the playing budget. However as far as I can see we are in roughly financially in the same position as last year entering the start of the season. Bring a friend Saturday and help boost the coffers.

Emdubya
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Emdubya » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:58 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:44 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm
If Trotman goes and we successfully move on Burn and Glover, then the only first team players remaining would be Thompson, Wheatley and Galbraith!

This really highlights what a cobbled together mess that Wright made of his signings, so much so that AA needed to have a complete and utter clear out. And the 3 remaining players were all signed before the Wright era.
That’s a bit unfair if Wright was still here he would have strengthened the squad and lost a few. At this level players play for mangers they like and respect look at all the Blyth players who have followed Armstrong. We are where we are with not much left on the budget however a decent fee for Trotman will help if the money goes into the playing budget. However as far as I can see we are in roughly financially in the same position as last year entering the start of the season. Bring a friend Saturday and help boost the coffers.
Yes I’m sure Wright would have “strengthened “us with a couple more overpaid midgets from the midlands on two year deals.
When will you Tommy Boy fans finally realize the man was an absolutely abject failure as a manager

Darlofan97
Posts: 4121
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New signings and outgoings

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:44 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm
If Trotman goes and we successfully move on Burn and Glover, then the only first team players remaining would be Thompson, Wheatley and Galbraith!

This really highlights what a cobbled together mess that Wright made of his signings, so much so that AA needed to have a complete and utter clear out. And the 3 remaining players were all signed before the Wright era.
That’s a bit unfair if Wright was still here he would have strengthened the squad and lost a few. At this level players play for mangers they like and respect look at all the Blyth players who have followed Armstrong. We are where we are with not much left on the budget however a decent fee for Trotman will help if the money goes into the playing budget. However as far as I can see we are in roughly financially in the same position as last year entering the start of the season. Bring a friend Saturday and help boost the coffers.
No it’s not unfair on Wright. He recruited badly.

For all he could have strengthened the squad, he could also have taken us backwards again; just like he did last summer.

Ghost is right, the fact that only one TW signing remains (that we actually want to retain) after he was given all of last summer to re-shape the squad how he wanted it is telling.

Post Reply