How about one of these....

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

How about one of these....

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Was just looking at Kettering's site and they've got an appeal to stick one of these on a flat area behind one of the goals to increase elevation and get a better atmosphere. They reckon it costs just £25,000 but you can add more steps if you want, extend it either side and take it with you if you move grounds. Might help things in our open end at a reasonable price and looks better (alright maybe only a bit better) than that bus stop they have at Bradford PA.

Emdubya

Re: How about one of these....

Post by Emdubya » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:54 pm

2 or 3 bolted together would improve the top end of BM immensely and if they can be moved it could make the problem of the water pipe surmountable (in the highly unlikely scenario that they would ever need access to it).

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:03 pm

Looks good (and surprisingly cheap!).

Definitely could be a short term solution to the open end problem if we buy a couple for 50k - we'd raise that in a flash. We could have them installed in a month, man.

Only downside is that at 5 steps deep these terraces would not increase capacity by very much as the hard standing capacity is worked out on 4 men deep I believe. To increase the capacity from 3300 to 4000 for the National League we'd need a pretty hefty stand in the open end - as the capacity there is c600 anyway, we'd need 1,300 plus.

Upside of these cheap stands is that it gives better sight lines for several hundred people, so an immediate benefit - and the ground will look a little better too.

When we do develop the open end properly, we could simply move the couple of stands down to the side, and site them between the tin shed and pipe exclusion zone.

I'll leave you to contact the club about it LL!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:46 pm

Here's one of these small stands in use.....

https://twitter.com/ktfcofficial/status ... 4126989315

I don't think it looks too bad and would certainly help to overcome some of the comments from our fans and away fans about sight lines down that open end. Bit of sponsorship, couple of raffles, some piggy banks smashed, a few days of crowdfunding..... :D

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Does it cost only 25k or is that what the fans need to raise on top of what the club already has put aside for it? The twitter feed says let's raise 25k, but is that the total cost? That's my only question.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:38 pm

The Trust says: "Having spoken to the club the stand will cost in the region of £25,000.  This is a considerable sum, which will realistically require a huge effort to achieve - but let’s give it a go - you never know!"

I haven't done any costings myself, just quoted what they said it would cost.

I've got a good spanner set if required to keep costs down :D

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:07 pm

get a totaliser going!!!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Don't know if Lee Kilcran posts on here but he'd know any implications of a build like this/if any foundations were needed etc. Remember we decided not to relocate the seats from Bishop and something like this could be similar. There may be a caveat like to count towards capacity something like this would need to be built in as a permanent structure. I think that was the case with the seats.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Would be fine for this level but would need to be binned once we got promoted

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Yeah like the last one at HP

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:22 am

divas wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm
Why?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:31 am

Good question. Why would we spend tens of thousands on something that we can't use if/when promoted?

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:21 am

Exactly,We wasted money without thought on uncovered stand at Bishop which was hardly used.That was one bad decision that was made by the people in charge at the time.I donate to everything at the club,but I did not did not make my money by wasting it on hair brain schemes like this.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:30 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:22 am
divas wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:13 pm
Why?
We’d need to build something more substantial on that end to satisfy ground grading for NL and you’d also have to have an eye on the next level up to inform what you did so you didn’t end up having to continually replace and waste money (we’ve already done that so wouldn’t want to carry on down that road) It’s likely the next development at BM would have to be a substantial stand on the open end. Unfortunately the amount of the ground that we’re able to develop at BM (about 2 and a half sides) means these shallow stadium solutions type setups just won’t work for us now.

You would probably get one of these between the tin shed and the pipe but again longer term hinders us. It depends whether we want to build infrastructure that will only have a limited life span. Capacity wise these will offer very little increase so the only benefit would be a slightly improved viewing position but they’re that shallow that you’d get a better view standing on the banking on the open end rather than flattening it and installing one of these.

Not sure what type of footings you need to put in for these either but likely that some ground preparation will need to be done at additional cost. There’s a working group looking at it all that are far more clued up on this than me tbh so hopefully someone will come along and give the full detail.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:36 am

You can’t exactly see the width of it... if you need four of them to reach the pipe, it’s not exactly cheap... and it’s not deep enough for a long term solution either! That could very well be the size of the BPA bus shelter for all we can see!

I don’t think doing it bit by bit is a bad idea though, but it needs to be deeper. Ten rows, I would think. We need to add 700 to the overall capacity and it’s the obvious place to do it. Something we end up needing to get rid of isn’t a smart move.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 am

If we were to build anything at BM (and its a big if, dependent on whether we will be there or the sporting village long term).

If we were to build anything we should go for something similar to what Harrogate have put next to their seated stand. It's 12 rows deep and has a capacity of 1100. Only takes up about a third of the length of the pitch, so i think would be about right fit wise to avoid the pipe and its exclusion zone at the open end. https://www.harrogatetownafc.com/news-m ... en-monday/ . It was built by that stadium solutions company that build these light weight extendable stands.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 am

Wont they have to rip up their money-spinning plastic pitch and lay a proper one should they go up? The stand looks the biz.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 am

JE93 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 am
If we were to build anything at BM (and its a big if, dependent on whether we will be there or the sporting village long term).

If we were to build anything we should go for something similar to what Harrogate have put next to their seated stand. It's 12 rows deep and has a capacity of 1100. Only takes up about a third of the length of the pitch, so i think would be about right fit wise to avoid the pipe and its exclusion zone at the open end. https://www.harrogatetownafc.com/news-m ... en-monday/ . It was built by that stadium solutions company that build these light weight extendable stands.
We need 1000 seats for the next level up. Given we’ve got 500 and a few taking up most of the side you’re not going to get 1000 seats on that side therefore you can’t just whack terracing on the open end....

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:22 am

I presume this is the stuff the infrastructure group has been working on - how to get BM up to standard around the bloody pipe. I guess we will hear more details at some point in the future when all the stuff about the SV/BM which DJ has been talking about comes out in the open. I can't wait to hear about it - its the most important decision facing the club

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:11 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 am
Wont they have to rip up their money-spinning plastic pitch and lay a proper one should they go up? The stand looks the biz.

Yes they will - but going up is a tall order.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:31 am

We need to increase behind the goal by about 1500, not 700, for the next level. Flat standing behind a goal is not allowed, therefore if we built on the open end we'd have to take the 800 off (leaving us with 2,500 capacity) then replace it with 1500 to get it up to 4,000.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:35 am

Divas, it's still only 500 seats at the next level (NL) with plans of how to get to 1,000. Something like the Harrogate one but deeper would work in the NL. as long as we could demonstrate how we were going to get from 588 seats to 1000 eventually.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:40 am

JE93 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 am

got to say that is fantastic stand. Any idea of the cost?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:00 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:35 am
Divas, it's still only 500 seats at the next level (NL) with plans of how to get to 1,000. Something like the Harrogate one but deeper would work in the NL. as long as we could demonstrate how we were going to get from 588 seats to 1000 eventually.
Yes but if we built a terrace at the open end, where would the plans be to fit the rest of the seats? Might as well build a seated stand there then, kill two birds with one stone - save us erecting a terrace and replacing it, or bolting seats to it - which never works properly imo.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:01 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:31 am
We need to increase behind the goal by about 1500, not 700, for the next level. Flat standing behind a goal is not allowed, therefore if we built on the open end we'd have to take the 800 off (leaving us with 2,500 capacity) then replace it with 1500 to get it up to 4,000.
Is flat standing allowed down the side? If not, we have a major problem!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:12 pm

4,000 we could manage if we develop all of the remaining area - ie between the tin shed and pipe with terrace, and a good sized seated stand behind the goal. Remember that the stand behind the goal, be it terrace or seats, can only be approx 2/3rds pitch width (if we're lucky)

But getting to 5,000 - how? Where can the extra capacity be found (and the extra 1,000 seats which we'd eventually need to make 2,000), if all of the existing foot print has been developed? Think we can forget the rugby club side, so the existing seated stand would need replacing with something bigger, and the tin shed too. Could never understand why we didn't plan for a deeper seated stand in the first place, but it was all about spending as little as possible.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Flat standing isn't allowed down the sides in the EFL, but is in the NL.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:00 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:12 pm
4,000 we could manage if we develop all of the remaining area - ie between the tin shed and pipe with terrace, and a good sized seated stand behind the goal. Remember that the stand behind the goal, be it terrace or seats, can only be approx 2/3rds pitch width (if we're lucky)

But getting to 5,000 - how? Where can the extra capacity be found (and the extra 1,000 seats which we'd eventually need to make 2,000), if all of the existing foot print has been developed? Think we can forget the rugby club side, so the existing seated stand would need replacing with something bigger, and the tin shed too. Could never understand why we didn't plan for a deeper seated stand in the first place, but it was all about spending as little as possible.
Which is why the seated stand we have built completely baffles me. The roof is way too high in comparison to the seats and not built far enough back to extend the seats out (even if it meant they weren’t covered). I know it’s been said before but we should have built a stand half the width but twice as deep with the intention of extending in the future when required. It wouldn’t look very good but the stand we have isn’t exactly stunning to look at!