Adam Campbell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Darlopartisan
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Darlopartisan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 am

I might be wrong but at the moment we haven’t officially signed Elliott (the goalkeeper) or Campbell, nothing on the official website .

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 11854
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 am
I might be wrong but at the moment we haven’t officially signed Elliott (the goalkeeper) or Campbell, nothing on the official website .
Nothing in the Echo today either.

H1987
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by H1987 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:43 am

It's a bit weird we keep hearing announcements from the Echo but nothing from the club themselves.

Perhaps there's technicalities and we will get an announcement or two this week. We need a goalkeeper at least to play Motherwell on Saturday!

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am

If you look at our last signing - Jordan Watson - the club mentioned in the article on the official site "after finally receiving clearance from the FA", this was an obvious hint at frustration over how long signings are taking to complete due to waiting for the FA.

At the end of the day you can get a player to sign a contract, and then announce the signing in the Echo - but the club can't "officially" announce it themselves until the FA have ratified everything.

It's frustrating as hell though.
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am

He played 461 mins for Carlisle last season but never kicked a ball for Morecambe. He was on loan at Carlisle for half the season. Just had a Twitter exchange with a Morecambe fan who said he was dreadful for them. Could be a bit of a gamble then.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am
He played 461 mins for Carlisle last season but never kicked a ball for Morecambe. He was on loan at Carlisle for half the season. Just had a Twitter exchange with a Morecambe fan who said he was dreadful for them. Could be a bit of a gamble then.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He may well have been in the eyes of that fan. I'd rather listen to the opinion of the man who has signed him who knows whats needed at this level.

Lallacab
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:49 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Lallacab » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am
If you look at our last signing - Jordan Watson - the club mentioned in the article on the official site "after finally receiving clearance from the FA", this was an obvious hint at frustration over how long signings are taking to complete due to waiting for the FA.

At the end of the day you can get a player to sign a contract, and then announce the signing in the Echo - but the club can't "officially" announce it themselves until the FA have ratified everything.

It's frustrating as hell though.
Would it be better if the club announced the signing but with ‘pending FA clearance’ stipulated in the statement?

Perhaps better than it being announced in the echo days prior ?

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:35 am

loan_star wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:08 am
He played 461 mins for Carlisle last season but never kicked a ball for Morecambe. He was on loan at Carlisle for half the season. Just had a Twitter exchange with a Morecambe fan who said he was dreadful for them. Could be a bit of a gamble then.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He may well have been in the eyes of that fan. I'd rather listen to the opinion of the man who has signed him who knows whats needed at this level.
Agreed, and also playing out wide was not his natural position according to AA.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


User avatar
Quaker85
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am

I do trust AA judgement on this signing but nevertheless it does remain a gamble especially as he’s currently the only striker option. Discounting Ainge of course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
loan_star
Posts: 6064
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:01 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:55 am

Quaker85 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:50 am
I do trust AA judgement on this signing but nevertheless it does remain a gamble especially as he’s currently the only striker option. Discounting Ainge of course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We signed Fisher with a better current track record than Campbell and he flopped.
Gabbiadini (albeit with a better career record) came to us having bombed for York and yet ended up being one of our best ever signings.
Sometimes all a player needs is a manager that believes in him and plays to his strengths rather than expect him to fit within a system.

eddie-rowles
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:58 am

Big gamble on this young lad hasn't scored more league goals in his whole carer than Nicholson scored last season (11). Hopefully he can chat with Thommo who will explain where the net is & what is required at this level a lot of bloody hard work, which Ainge keeps forgetting . Let us hope Campbell reaches double figures and helps Thommo break the goal scoring record alongside.

HarryCharltonsCat
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:06 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Well he scored more goals and had a longer career than Thommo did at that level. Also, at that level, Barnet fans reckon Nicholson was one of their worst signings ever. Let's see what he can do at this level before comparing him unfavourably with fan's favourites.

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11710
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Spyman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:02 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29 pm
Well he scored more goals and had a longer career than Thommo did at that level. Also, at that level, Barnet fans reckon Nicholson was one of their worst signings ever. Let's see what he can do at this level before comparing him unfavourably with fan's favourites.
Very good point.

Kirk Jackson, Adam Marsh, James Walshaw all good examples of the same thing - excellent below a certain level but couldn't cut it in the full-time leagues.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Ghost_Of_1883
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:02 pm
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:29 pm
Well he scored more goals and had a longer career than Thommo did at that level. Also, at that level, Barnet fans reckon Nicholson was one of their worst signings ever. Let's see what he can do at this level before comparing him unfavourably with fan's favourites.
Very good point.

Kirk Jackson, Adam Marsh, James Walshaw all good examples of the same thing - excellent below a certain level but couldn't cut it in the full-time leagues.
And, dare I say it, everyone's favourite..."Carts"
TAFKAQ

@1883Of

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by bga » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 pm

Lallacab wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am
If you look at our last signing - Jordan Watson - the club mentioned in the article on the official site "after finally receiving clearance from the FA", this was an obvious hint at frustration over how long signings are taking to complete due to waiting for the FA.

At the end of the day you can get a player to sign a contract, and then announce the signing in the Echo - but the club can't "officially" announce it themselves until the FA have ratified everything.

It's frustrating as hell though.
Would it be better if the club announced the signing but with ‘pending FA clearance’ stipulated in the statement?

Perhaps better than it being announced in the echo days prior ?
Doesn't it depend on which way round it happens i.e. does player sign on the dotted line first then it goes to the FA for clearance at which point player cannot back out. Or do we need to get FA clearance first before the player can sign so he can change his mind up to last minute? Either way first frustrating as it is, it does seem to make sense for the official announcement to come when all the paperwork is completed.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:51 pm

bga wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am
If you look at our last signing - Jordan Watson - the club mentioned in the article on the official site "after finally receiving clearance from the FA", this was an obvious hint at frustration over how long signings are taking to complete due to waiting for the FA.

At the end of the day you can get a player to sign a contract, and then announce the signing in the Echo - but the club can't "officially" announce it themselves until the FA have ratified everything.

It's frustrating as hell though.
Would it be better if the club announced the signing but with ‘pending FA clearance’ stipulated in the statement?

Perhaps better than it being announced in the echo days prior ?
Doesn't it depend on which way round it happens i.e. does player sign on the dotted line first then it goes to the FA for clearance at which point player cannot back out. Or do we need to get FA clearance first before the player can sign so he can change his mind up to last minute? Either way first frustrating as it is, it does seem to make sense for the official announcement to come when all the paperwork is completed.
All paperwork is sent to the FA for ratification together. That includes a copy of the contract with all "clauses" signed and delivered.

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by bga » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:02 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:51 pm
bga wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:22 pm
Lallacab wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am
If you look at our last signing - Jordan Watson - the club mentioned in the article on the official site "after finally receiving clearance from the FA", this was an obvious hint at frustration over how long signings are taking to complete due to waiting for the FA.

At the end of the day you can get a player to sign a contract, and then announce the signing in the Echo - but the club can't "officially" announce it themselves until the FA have ratified everything.

It's frustrating as hell though.
Would it be better if the club announced the signing but with ‘pending FA clearance’ stipulated in the statement?

Perhaps better than it being announced in the echo days prior ?
Doesn't it depend on which way round it happens i.e. does player sign on the dotted line first then it goes to the FA for clearance at which point player cannot back out. Or do we need to get FA clearance first before the player can sign so he can change his mind up to last minute? Either way first frustrating as it is, it does seem to make sense for the official announcement to come when all the paperwork is completed.
All paperwork is sent to the FA for ratification together. That includes a copy of the contract with all "clauses" signed and delivered.
Thanks Ed. Agree with comments above club could make a statement "subject to FA clearance" or embargo the news with the Echo until club is ready to confirm officially. Current situation does seem a bit odd.

Darlogramps
Posts: 4586
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Adam Campbell

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Or fans could just remain patient. There could well be reasons why they can’t formally announce anything.

Deals can be tricky and may take a bit longer to go through officially. It happens. Don’t see that there’s anything odd about it at all to be honest.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by bga » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 pm
Or fans could just remain patient. There could well be reasons why they can’t formally announce anything.

Deals can be tricky and may take a bit longer to go through officially. It happens. Don’t see that there’s anything odd about it at all to be honest.
I meant odd Echo jumping the gun?

Darlogramps
Posts: 4586
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:53 pm

bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 pm
Or fans could just remain patient. There could well be reasons why they can’t formally announce anything.

Deals can be tricky and may take a bit longer to go through officially. It happens. Don’t see that there’s anything odd about it at all to be honest.
I meant odd Echo jumping the gun?
But they’re not. Stoddart is doing his job. And let’s face it, he wouldn’t publish it if Armstrong and the club thought it’d be detrimental.

So I don’t see how they’re jumping the gun. They’re reporting a signing that’s happening, and the club will announce it once it’s completed. It’s always worked that way.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by bga » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:53 pm
bga wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:14 pm
Or fans could just remain patient. There could well be reasons why they can’t formally announce anything.

Deals can be tricky and may take a bit longer to go through officially. It happens. Don’t see that there’s anything odd about it at all to be honest.
I meant odd Echo jumping the gun?
But they’re not. Stoddart is doing his job. And let’s face it, he wouldn’t publish it if Armstrong and the club thought it’d be detrimental.

So I don’t see how they’re jumping the gun. They’re reporting a signing that’s happening, and the club will announce it once it’s completed. It’s always worked that way.
I am not sure that every signing we have ever made has always been reported first by the Echo? So it can work both ways. Anyway got a World Cup semi-final to watch just now!

Darlogramps
Posts: 4586
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Adam Campbell

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Where did I say “every” signing? Although Stod will know before the rest of us on 99.9% of the signings.

Anyway, that’s not really anything to do with the point I’m making. I’m just saying the situation we’ve got with Campbell is not irregular. It’s perfectly normal, so I don’t understand what the problem is, beyond frustration at signings not being confirmed.

Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

onewayup
Posts: 1632
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by onewayup » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Or maybe there is another sticking point to this signing, ie something we know nothing about or should not know anything about until all the player and club agree to it being done and dusted. Who knows. We will have to wait and see. Patients is a virtue.

TFDM
Posts: 2087
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by TFDM » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 am

Wouldn’t worry chaps. There is just a backlog at the FA. Not a lot we can do. We’ve actually got interviews with Campbell and Elliott ready to go when we finally get the formalities done.

H1987
Posts: 1139
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 am

I'd assume that Stoddart has a good, working / personal relationship with the powers that be at the club. I don't think he'd be in the business of jumping the gun to get some coverage, i'm sure whatever he says has been generally ok'd by the club anyway. Especially given there are quotes from AA in there.

JE93
Posts: 1190
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by JE93 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:06 am

Now confirmed on the official site. (Subject to FA approval)

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 1622
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:12 am

Spoke to a Notts County fan about him. Worked very hard but struggled with shooting. A sign of low confidence maybe, so hopefully he can regain that confidence. Best get him to wear earplugs then if he misses any chances in front of the Tin Shed.

eddie-rowles
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:23 am

Fingers crossed he gets a few goals in the friendlies to boost his confidence before facing another diminutive striker not deemed good enough at Darlo when we play Farsley.

jjljks
Posts: 1454
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by jjljks » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:26 am

Remember Tino Asprilla being paraded in front of the faithful at the Arena?

Never signed until the printing is dry of his name on the shirt.... ;)

BTW What are the odds that Cartman sticks one in for Farsley?

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 1717
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:34 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:Spoke to a Notts County fan about him. Worked very hard but struggled with shooting. A sign of low confidence maybe, so hopefully he can regain that confidence. Best get him to wear earplugs then if he misses any chances in front of the Tin Shed.
Practically a new team now and will need time to gel so everybody has to get behind the lads.As AA mentioned at the forum, look at how Blyth started and finished last season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Post Reply