Adam Campbell

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Adam Campbell

Post by divas » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:40 am

Lad speaks very well. We need to get behind him even if he starts slowly, it’ll only be of benefit to us and him

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:53 am

I agree, we've got a big part to play in this. He's clearly got ability and may be only a couple of goals away from building his confidence back up and going on a run. His background is good, AA believes in him so we need to do our bit and support him. He's after a fresh start to try to reignite his career, let's give him that.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 pm

divas wrote:Lad speaks very well. We need to get behind him even if he starts slowly, it’ll only be of benefit to us and him
Spot on Divas.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:48 pm

If there's a manager at this level to coach him on finishing, Armstrong should be the man - he had a good eye for goal.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:57 pm

He's got ability. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52zgTjr4doQ

Like Divas says we just need to get behind him. He could tear this division a new backside if he gets going imo.

I'm quite excited to see what he can do.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:26 am
Remember Tino Asprilla being paraded in front of the faithful at the Arena?

Never signed until the printing is dry of his name on the shirt.... ;)

BTW What are the odds that Cartman sticks one in for Farsley?
I remember it at Feethams ;)

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 pm

He certainly looks the part in that clip. I remember watching Keegan scoring for fun then Marco Gabbiadini for us. This height things nonsense. I'll let MCFC bang on about Sergio but they're all around the same height.

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 pm

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 pm
He certainly looks the part in that clip. I remember watching Keegan scoring for fun then Marco Gabbiadini for us. This height things nonsense. I'll let MCFC bang on about Sergio but they're all around the same height.
He won't be the first 5ft 8in center forward with Newcastle United connections we have signed.
Back in the day Bobby Cummings came to us from Tyneside and that didn't turn out too bad.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 pm

banktopp wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 pm
don'tbuythesun wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:53 pm
He won't be the first 5ft 8in center forward with Newcastle United connections we have signed.
Back in the day Bobby Cummings came to us from Tyneside and that didn't turn out too bad.
I'll say. 40 something goals in 70 something appearances. Bit before my time ;), so just read up about Bobby. Turns out in the early days of his career he combined part time football with Aberdeen with working in a pit near Blyth! That's some commute for Tuesday night training :lol:

curried Quaker

Post by curried Quaker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Campbell and Thommo, great combo, looking forward to a great number of goals this season.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:48 am

Still think we're lacking more of a target man in the team up who can hold the ball up front to take some pressure off the defence when needed.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 am

quakerste wrote:Still think we're lacking more of a target man in the team up who can hold the ball up front to take some pressure off the defence when needed.
Will be surprised if we don’t have a big CF on trial against Motherwell along with a couple more midfielders,so looking forward to seeing how we shape up in this game bearing in mind we got hammered last season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 am

quakerman wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:33 am
quakerste wrote:Still think we're lacking more of a target man in the team up who can hold the ball up front to take some pressure off the defence when needed.
Will be surprised if we don’t have a big CF on trial against Motherwell along with a couple more midfielders,so looking forward to seeing how we shape up in this game bearing in mind we got hammered last season.

Fully expect to get humped again this time at well.Full time SPL team that have been training for weeks and have played a number of games already will be a hard shift for us .
But hey,that’s what these games are for,a good work out and getting to know each other,(Blyth lads excepted :D ),and better than beating the Dog and Duck ten nowt.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 am

quakerman wrote:

Squad on official site. Only big CF is Morrison from the youth team - unless Mr Trialist makes an appearance.

To be honest though our money is on Campbell for the season, he is our number 9 (as others have said we have to hope he does well) with us likely to play only 1 up front and one behind with wingers of Rivers/Thompson.

I like the qay the squad is shaping up (hard to say how it will work though), although think we will be short in one or two areas, which will hold us back a little in terms of challenging top end.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:48 am

Wonder who will be alongside AA on the sidelines, cannot imagine he will be on his own, also the academy appointment must be due and see if Whitey will still be with us.Hope he is.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:23 am

quakerste wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:48 am
Still think we're lacking more of a target man in the team up who can hold the ball up front to take some pressure off the defence when needed.
Not the way Armstrong plays.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:30 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:42 am
quakerman wrote:

Squad on official site. Only big CF is Morrison from the youth team - unless Mr Trialist makes an appearance.

To be honest though our money is on Campbell for the season, he is our number 9 (as others have said we have to hope he does well) with us likely to play only 1 up front and one behind with wingers of Rivers/Thompson.

I like the qay the squad is shaping up (hard to say how it will work though), although think we will be short in one or two areas, which will hold us back a little in terms of challenging top end.
Thompson is "the one behind". We haven't got anyone else to play that role currently. Rivers and Holmes are the wingers.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:30 am
quakerman wrote:

Thompson is "the one behind". We haven't got anyone else to play that role currently. Rivers and Holmes are the wingers.
Be interesting to see how you would line us up Ghost, with our current squad?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:44 am

Yeah, agree Armstrong did say that.

I wonder if Holmes could play up front also (did he not play up front for Shields), anyhow be interesting to see how things go.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:56 am

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:44 am
Yeah, agree Armstrong did say that.

I wonder if Holmes could play up front also (did he not play up front for Shields), anyhow be interesting to see how things go.
Think Holmes played more on the left wing at Blyth, in competition with Robbie Dale.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:04 am

Darlopartisan wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:43 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:30 am
quakerman wrote:

Be interesting to see how you would line us up Ghost, with our current squad?
Quite obvious really..

GK Elliott
RB Trotman
CB Laing
CB Galbraith
LB Liddle
RW Rivers
CM Atkinson
CM New Signing (based on Wheatley not being fit for the start of the season)
LW Holmes
AM Thompson
ST Campbell

We're short on centre forward options and threadbare in centre midfield. Also lets say one of the wingers gets injured then Thompson would revert to the wing but there is no one else to play AM in that case. So we could instead go 4-4-2 but we don't have another out and out centre forward.

I reckon we need 2 more centre midfielders - ideally one could also play AM if need be, and another centre forward, to have a minimum squad.

Then if any of Burn, Glover or Trotman go - I especially expect Glover to go because he serves no purpose - that would be a one out one in replacement basis.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Holness may still be an option in midfield, and Bascombe up front of course. That would fill a couple of the slots.

You then have the possibility of Kneeshaw coming back when he's fit and providing competition for both Thompson and Campbell.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:21 pm

Bascome isn’t a centre-forward, neither is Thompson.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Bascome isn’t a centre-forward, neither is Thompson.
Galbraith isn't a central defender.

Said many on here a couple of years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:54 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:Bascome isn’t a centre-forward, neither is Thompson.
Galbraith isn't a central defender.

Said many on here a couple of years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
We’ve used Thompson up-front several times across the past 7 years and it hasn’t really worked. Much more effective on the right.