For Want Of Something Different

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

joejaques
Team Supported: Darlington

For Want Of Something Different

Post by joejaques » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Andrew Foulds has asked me to post this for him, as he is not registered on the board, regarding former players supplementing their football wages.

From Andrew
"I moved to Darlington in 1970 with Shepherd Construction, but got the bullet in 1973. I decided to set up my own business doing Building Plans, BoQ's & Estimates, working from home.
I got a call from a bloke enquiring about estimating, and he agreed to call round with some drawings. I was not into football at that time, so when Lance Robson knocked on the door and introduced himself, I was none the wiser, he was just another client. He was a dentist with premises in Woodland Rd & North Rd, but he also had a building company called DARL Properties, which undertook Improvement Grant renovations. He was a regular customer and we both benefitted from the arrangement - he got accurate, well presented estimates, and I got much need income. I only got know of his significance, when I started watching DFC in 1984. Sadly, he died from accidental injuries.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: For Want Of Something Different

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm

Lance was one of my favourite's and he was a top bloke with supporters. Most older fans will remember him in his two periods at the club. I recall him as guileful and prepared to put his foot in. Apparently Peter Shilton remembers him from a league cup tie at Feethams with Leicester City when Lance gave him something to think about. The original Joe Jagues played with him in a good Darlo side in the late sixties and it was sad when Lance died after some some painful events in his personal life. A good candidate for a place in any all time Quakers squad. God bless him.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Lance was a really nice bloke and a good dentist too. A victim of alcohol addiction unfortunately.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Lance junior does my gnashers and there are bits and bobs of old Darlo in the waiting room.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:22 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:44 pm
Lance junior does my gnashers and there are bits and bobs of old Darlo in the waiting room.
Same here, more efficient than his dad who used to run behind all the time as he would chat to his customers all day!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:21 am

To match his performance on the pitch, Lance had a penchant for fast cars, in particular I remember a pale lemon E-type Jag with leopard skin seats, he used to drive.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:47 am

My main memory of Lance was him imitating / taking the pish out of referees. Copying their walk etc when heading back up the pitch from penalty area. Always good for a laugh as well as a constant goal threat. :roll: