Farsley V Darlington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Farsley V Darlington Match Thread

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm guessing that he is on about the board doing something about the thick fans - sounded like there was a bit of handbags from the radio.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:04 pm
I'm guessing that he is on about the board doing something about the thick fans - sounded like there was a bit of handbags from the radio.
Ah - that makes more sense.

Hopefully just a freak 1st game of the season result

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Suicide defending in the first half meant it was game over on a terrible pitch which ruled out a passing game. They played to their strengths, hitting it long, winning their headers and holding it up and frequent gamesmanship. We'll have to learn quickly from that. Not seen anything like that from us in pre-season.

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Some idiot who had been the Cheerleader for the chanting thought it amusing to grab the Farsley goalies water bottle and toss it over the Stand..The Stewards ejected him with the help of some Darlo fans.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:52 pm

First game in ages. Full of pre season optimism after all the new signings but the first half was as poor a performance as I can remember. Bullied and carved open by an average team. Second half better but yeah that was hard work.
On a positive note I thought Hatfield looked good and the sort of player we have needed for a while.

Onwards and upwards. I hope.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:37 pm

Credit to alun made no excuses said it as it was and won't except same on Wednesday, said the defending was schoolboy stuff and totally unacceptable. They have to put it right for their sake and the fans on Wednesday. Farsley now out of the way it's the bad game now gone .looking to a much improved performance and a win Wednesday.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:57 pm
Er - not sure what the board has to do with this? We’ve brought in a manager and bunch of players pretty much everyone rated....
I think he’s referring to the little bit of Argy Bargy between the fans behind the goal.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 pm

P.s. Wasn’t the pitch absolutely terrible. How can you play football on that?

Of course, that’s the idea.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:18 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 pm
P.s. Wasn’t the pitch absolutely terrible. How can you play football on that?

Of course, that’s the idea.
The worst pitch I’ve ever seen for this time of the season.No wonder Rotherham knocked it back a couple of weeks ago.About as flat as a corrugated sheet with three inches too much grass.That said ,they were far the better side first half although aided greatly by some abysmal defending .
Laing couldn’t make his mind up about anything,Holmes still on his holiday ,Rivers wants to beat the same bloke twice and the keeper didn’t know weather to stick or twist.Big improvements all round required on Wednesday but on our pitch I’m sure we’ll see it

leedscol

Post by leedscol » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:53 pm

Attendance 1123.Mostly Darlo fans by far.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Seems like they played to the conditions on a pitch they are obviously going to be more use to and this is potentially going to a problem as pitches at this level are not going to be flat carpets suited to play an attractive passing game. Can't argue with the calibre of the players AA has brought in but he may need a rethink on when we need to go more direct and this is the issue we have for height options up front. Ironically, I remember watching TWs first game in charge at home to Brackley when it was Thommo and Cartman up top, with our only other option at the time being Saunders and we were powder puff until Styche was brought in, I hope we don't have a similar issue if the passing game fails.

Having said all this it seems that today the defence was still on holiday!
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:36 pm

I think that pitch was a bit of a one-off at this level, most of them are either decent or acceptable. That was like an over-used park pitch. However it doesn't excuse the schoolboy defending that gift-wrapped them the points.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:49 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:36 pm
I think that pitch was a bit of a one-off at this level, most of them are either decent or acceptable. That was like an over-used park pitch. However it doesn't excuse the schoolboy defending that gift-wrapped them the points.
This.

Pitch was diabolical, but (I hope) the worst we'll have to play on this season. If their pitch is as bad as that all campaign, I can see many teams going to Farsley and slipping up to be honest.

I actually thought we were OK generally in the first half. But as we all saw, the defending was abysmal for each of the three goals. Laing at fault for the first, no one tracked the Farsley forward for the second, and three defenders missed a bouncing ball from a throw-in, while going completely to pot with their marking for the third.

What concerned me most though was how in the first half our forwards got isolated and surrounded very quickly. It was hard to control the ball because of how bad the pitch was, but there always seemed to be two, three or four Farsley defenders around our forwards.

I actually thought we had some decent build-up play in the second half, albeit with very little end product, and against a side who'd eased down a couple of gears through being three goals up. Campbell's finish showed his quality for this level. There were a couple of occasions he might have ended up in a better position had the ball ran better for him. But today there were flashes today of what we're capable of, provided we keep it together defensively. Hatfield is undeniably the kind of player we've been missing, although I except he'll receive plenty of bookings this season.

So actually, as bad as we were defensively in the first half, there are some things to take away (or straws for me to clutch perhaps).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:11 pm

There is positives to take out of that today. We started well until that mistake for the first goal (although the lad finished very well) and it seemed we just didn't shake that off which resulted in more defensive mistakes right up until half time.
Second half we were much better and had them camped in for most of the half. Albeit not working their keeper often but that was either through not shooting when we got in or the ball just not rolling for us to hit properly. Won't say anything that hasn't been said about the pitch, it was unacceptable. It completely nullified our passing although we still put together some nice stuff from time to time.
Can see farsley being a tough place to go for teams, Heaton and Atkinson were a miss for us today to deal with their physicality. If they are available for Wednesday then I'd put them in the starting 11

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:20 pm

Atkinson is such an effective midfielder that he's a certain starter when fit. But I expect the defence will be given the chance to put it right on Wednesday rather than someone being dropped. AA has said as much.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Post by polarbear » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 pm

leedscol wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:53 pm
are you sure, maybe 1124 darlo fans

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:02 pm

And well done to each and every one of the 54 who carried the PrideofCountyDurhan flag through the turnstiles at Hereford today.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:04 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:02 pm
And well done to each and every one of the 54 who carried the PrideofCountyDurhan flag through the turnstiles at Hereford today.
Obviously no free buses on today. :lol:

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Some mitigating factors at Farsley; very poor pitch, Cartman was always going to score today, and maybe the feel good factor made for unrealistic hopes - the defense needs sorting out but at least that's a problem to be seen early on. We tried to play and the goal was good, he'll score a few more. We all want things to work out with Armstrong but it might take time. No daft substitutions and a credible post-match - I reckon we're moving forward.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:56 pm

Campbell off the mark with a cracker too.

quakerman

Post by quakerman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Not too downhearted to be honest, the pitch suited their style to a tee, the total opposite for us, we will surely not defend as poorly again hopefully and if so then Josh Heaton comes in.Atkinson will stiffen the midfield and some of our football in the second half I thought was good and we could have scored more.Referee was shocking, totally conned by them going down like flies and gave us very little.Just one of those bad days at the office, 2 home wins this week and we are up and running.Early days and a number of other odd results today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:46 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:02 pm
Good effort

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:13 am

Elliott was poor, he didn't look like he could dominate his box. Thought the defence apart from Trotman looking really creaky. The pitch was the real winner, at least we won the second half. The sooner Heaton comes in the better. One thing that struck me in the first half, was how much taller the Farsley team were than us, all over the park. Great support from Darlo, at least three quarters of the total crowd, well apart from a certain individual.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:58 am

In terms of excuses, the pitch and refs didn’t help. We should of had a free kick for a blatant block on rivers leading to their first goal.

In term of individuals there were question marks over a few but thought Hatfield was great, Campbell showed plenty and had the pitch ran as it should he would have been through another 2/3 times. Was initially annoyed but a bigger test will be Wednesday where we’ll know more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:06 am

Never seen grass so long. But guess you prepare a pitch to how you play and we did not adapt to the ball from defence holding up quick enough.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:34 am

God you have to watch those first half highlights through your hands. The defending first half was absolutely schoolboy.

Think another poster is right above in the turnover of possession which leads to the first goal Rivers was blocked off, should have been our free kick. But that doesnt excuse Liang passing it to their lad on the edge of our area. Credit to him for the finish but horrendous defensive clearance that was just asking for trouble.

Second goal, not sure if its Liang or Liddle playing their lad onside, but one thing that does notice is Campbell is pushed right up trying to play the pressing game, no one else is backing him up. Once the keeper passes it out there was no pressure on the ball for the long kick over the tip of our defence. Once they did put it in behind us, Galbraith gives up on trying to track cartman way too early and just passed responsibility to Liddle. Had he followed him all the way in might have made the difference after Elliott slowed him down a little with a partial block.

3rd goal is the worst for me. Rule number one as a defender when the ball is coming into the box. Dont let it bounce. They let a long throw bounce on about the 6 yard box line and loop to the back post where its touched in. Looked like it was Omar's man who got the final touch.

Positive from the game is Campbell getting his goal.got in behind a couple of times too which bodes well. All should be good for his confidence.

Pitch looks awful but wasn't the reason any of the goals were conceded.

Big improvement needed for Wednesday. I'd be tempted to throw Heaton in if his clearance comes through in time. As for the rest wonder of Atkinson may be fit enough to start Wednesday. Long season certainly not too disheartened but as Alun said in his post match interview, we all know we're a lot better than that. Onto Wednesday.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 am

JasonDeVos wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:06 am
Never seen grass so long. But guess you prepare a pitch to how you play and we did not adapt to the ball from defence holding up quick enough.
Grass length only matched by Lancaster a couple of seasons ago in the FA Cup. Again, had a significant effect on the outcome. But I don't remember us defending so badly at Lancaster.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:58 am

Polar/Spen ... Serious question. Why haven't you used your abundant spare time setting up a forum for your fans?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:35 am

Guisely, Farsley - not much difference really.

Two clubs sitting on the outskirts of Leeds who have a nucleus of beast like players, employ time wasting tactics and play a primitive style of anti football.

I'm not complaining about this, they can play how they choose, it's for us to work out a way of matching up to these teams. If we don't have the muscle to bludgeon our way through we should at least keep it tight at the back and go for the draw, as this is a problem we will have to face up to again.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:58 am

polarbear wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 pm
leedscol wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:53 pm
are you sure, maybe 1124 darlo fans
3000 Darlo fans were there with -1,877 Farsley in attendance